PDA

View Full Version : Badly need to win the Governor's Cup tomorrow night (need rpi boost). Who do we

Saltydog
04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
start? I'm assuming it's probably Hudson but I'm not sure he'd make it outta the first against their lineup.

TheRef
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah...I have a feeling it will be Dak

Raytoraid83
04-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Hudson won't be available for Tuesday

Lefthandersrule
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
The young pitchers are going to have to step up!

Goat Holder
04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Don't get your hopes up on this one. A good hitting team like them vs. a depleted staff like ours? Yeah, I know that sometimes when your back is against the wall, teams respond. But I wouldn't put money on us tomorrow.

Saltydog
04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
nt

LC Dawg
04-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Hudson won't be available for Tuesday

Why?

LeakyD
04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
After watching them hit against us, I'm baffled that Memphis and USM shut them down with midweek guys. They played several other lower tier teams close also.

engie
04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Time that a freshman has to step up -- regardless of which one it is...

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah...I have a feeling it will be Dak

There is but one Dak. And he does not share power.

You have to call this particular Dak Dakota. lol

BeardoMSU
04-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Is the game gonna be televised?

cbrunt29
04-21-2014, 11:30 AM
This is where not having P. Brown really hurts.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
If it were me, I'd start Fitts.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Why?

Shoulder is hurting him.

RBritt
04-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Dakota Powers

LC Dawg
04-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Shoulder is hurting him.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that.

chef dixon
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
If it were me, I'd start Fitts.

I guess you could, and he could go Saturday as well. Mitchell, Woodruff for Thursday, Friday.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking:

Tuesday- Fitts/Lindgren

Thursday- Ross
Fri- Preston hopefully/Woodruff
Sat.- Fitts/Lindgren

tcdog70
04-21-2014, 11:56 AM
WHY NOT PITCH CT?

maroonmania
04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Yep, I could easily see us getting rocked tomorrow night. Not only did we pitch all of our better pitchers over this past weekend but we have to REALLY protect our pitching staff given the A&M series starts on TH instead of FR. Seems to me a real snafu in scheduling where this Governor's trophy game was put during a week where State has to start SEC play on TH and OM doesn't. And I would say the same thing if the situation was reversed with OM having the short week.

chef dixon
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Yep, I could easily see us getting rocked tomorrow night. Not only did we pitch all of our better pitchers over this past weekend but we have to REALLY protect our pitching staff given the A&M series starts on TH instead of FR. Seems to me a real snafu in scheduling where this Governor's trophy game was put during a week where State has to start SEC play on TH and OM doesn't. And I would say the same thing if the situation was reversed with OM having the short week.

Yea its tough. Also OM was done on Saturday this past weekend with no midweek game last week.

maroonmania
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Yea its tough. Also OM was done on Saturday this past weekend with no midweek game last week.

Man, good point, I had forgotten they didn't even play this past Sunday. Everything for this game is in their favor. I'll be very surprised if we win it. I actually can't believe we agreed to play the game THIS week given all the other scheduling factors that are unequal.

LC Dawg
04-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Cohen said yesterday during the post game that the series with A&M was moved to a Thursday start after the Governor's Cup date was set. He said he wouldn't have scheduled Ole Miss on Tuesday had he known we would start the A&M series Thursday. I'm sure he didn't have a choice in the moving of the series to a Thursday start since TV is involved.

DudyDawg
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Time that a freshman has to step up -- regardless of which one it is...

Like hump on Sunday?

engie
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Like hump on Sunday?

I'm clearly referring to on the mound -- where we're likely to throw 2 or 3 freshmen tomorrow...

maroonmania
04-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Cohen said yesterday during the post game that the series with A&M was moved to a Thursday start after the Governor's Cup date was set. He said he wouldn't have scheduled Ole Miss on Tuesday had he known we would start the A&M series Thursday. I'm sure he didn't have a choice in the moving of the series to a Thursday start since TV is involved.

Well, why didn't we go back and redo the Governor's Cup date once we had the reschedule of the A&M series thrust on us. We are wusses for not standing up for ourselves on this one. We played this past Sunday (OM didn't) and we are playing this Thursday (OM won't) BOTH of which were determined by the SEC, not us. The week for this game should have been moved or we should have just refused to play it. Given the situation we are at an extreme competitive disadvantage for tomorrow's game and that's on US for allowing it.

TheRef
04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, why didn't we go back and redo the Governor's Cup date once we had the reschedule of the A&M series thrust on us. We are wusses for not standing up for ourselves on this one. We played this past Sunday (OM didn't) and we are playing this Thursday (OM won't) BOTH of which were determined by the SEC, not us. The week for this game should have been moved or we should have just refused to play it. Given the situation we are at an extreme competitive disadvantage for tomorrow's game and that's on US for allowing it.

Well it also has to do with Trustmark Park and their scheduling and their whole setup there. So I'd imagine it's not as simple as saying "Hey we're just going to move this thing to so and so date so suck it." Also I believe we can't "refuse to play it" because it's probably written in the contract that it must be played every year regardless.

BulldogBear
04-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Well, dog whoopin' or not I'll be there. Kids enjoy going and the food is good. Been to about 12 or so State games there going back to a DH against ULM years ago. I think we've won all but 2 of those. Mojo/Juju factor? Well, anyway, the boy likes to talk to the opposing bullpen and dugout. Once, at DNF, Mangione gave him the game ball afterwards! Living in Jackson area I wish we would play another one down here against ULM, LaTech, or South Alabama. I can't get to DNF but about 1 series a season plus a regional if we host.

maroonmania
04-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Well it also has to do with Trustmark Park and their scheduling and their whole setup there. So I'd imagine it's not as simple as saying "Hey we're just going to move this thing to so and so date so suck it." Also I believe we can't "refuse to play it" because it's probably written in the contract that it must be played every year regardless.

Well I would think Trustmark wants this game a lot more than we want it. If they can't be more flexible to make the game fair (and maybe they really just couldn't accommodate a change this year) then we should have the contract changed so that we CAN opt out. It really isn't fair for one team to have 2 days off before AND after the game while the other has 1 day off before AND after.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Well I would think Trustmark wants this game a lot more than we want it. If they can't be more flexible to make the game fair (and maybe they really just couldn't accommodate a change this year) then we should have the contract changed so that we CAN opt out. It really isn't fair for one team to have 2 days off before AND after the game while the other has 1 day off before AND after.

The Governor's Cup is one of and in some years is the biggest baseball game in the state. The exception being if we host a SR, the Braves come to Pearl for an exhibition game (Governor's Cup outdrew the A-Braves last year FWIW), or something like that.

The Mississippi Braves have their games that we would have to work around as well, and Ole Miss has games that they would have to work around. Honestly, if we opted out we would look like a bunch of pussies. And I doubt our pitching situation would be much better down the road anyway.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Well, dog whoopin' or not I'll be there. Kids enjoy going and the food is good. Been to about 12 or so State games there going back to a DH against ULM years ago. I think we've won all but 2 of those. Mojo/Juju factor? Well, anyway, the boy likes to talk to the opposing bullpen and dugout. Once, at DNF, Mangione gave him the game ball afterwards! Living in Jackson area I wish we would play another one down here against ULM, LaTech, or South Alabama. I can't get to DNF but about 1 series a season plus a regional if we host.

I would love to see us play another OOC game in addition to the Governor's Cup and the USM game as well. ULM seems to be a natural fit, as does La Tech.

Also, we are going to play some games in Biloxi at the MGM Park that they are currently building in the near future.

BulldogBear
04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
I would love to see us play another OOC game in addition to the Governor's Cup and the USM game as well. ULM seems to be a natural fit, as does La Tech.

Also, we are going to play some games in Biloxi at the MGM Park that they are currently building in the near future.

Nice, but I of course hope that the games on coast don't take away from games at Trustmark. South Alabama would be a fitting opponent to play in Biloxi. Also UNO, SELa, Tulane. USM probably also be a good coast crowd.

Any deal for a game at Trustmark would have to be advantageous for both parties and the Braves. We know there are not good crowds for midweek games in Starkville, but of course season tickets are already paid for. So, I don't know how much attendance at trustmark is translating to actual $$$ for the big 3. Probably the Braves/TP just pay a flat rate and make up the cost plus make profit on the tickets and concession. I still think you'd have a decent crowd for and OOC game that wasn't Ole Miss or USM. Perhaps JSU if not a Sun Belt or CUSA school.

drunkernhelldawg
04-21-2014, 04:41 PM
It'd be great to win it, but I'd take the sweep this coming weekend over it.

maroonmania
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Honestly, if we opted out we would look like a bunch of pussies. And I doubt our pitching situation would be much better down the road anyway.

Your first sentence I agree but don't really care. Right now our post-season standing is more important to me than what some random guy thinks about us on whether we play a game in Pearl that is not set up fairly for both teams. The second sentence I just disagree with. If our SEC series started Fri instead of Thur it would open up a LOT of other options for us from a pitching perspective. We could pitch some guys on Tuesday night that wouldn't likely pitch again until Sunday. Now those options are GONE. And OM has a LOT more options given they didn't play this past Sunday than if they had and can also pitch guys that will pitch later in the SEC weekend, we don't have the same luxury. As stated, I'll be shocked if we are even competitive in this game given the situation.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Nice, but I of course hope that the games on coast don't take away from games at Trustmark. South Alabama would be a fitting opponent to play in Biloxi. Also UNO, SELa, Tulane. USM probably also be a good coast crowd.

Any deal for a game at Trustmark would have to be advantageous for both parties and the Braves. We know there are not good crowds for midweek games in Starkville, but of course season tickets are already paid for. So, I don't know how much attendance at trustmark is translating to actual $$$ for the big 3. Probably the Braves/TP just pay a flat rate and make up the cost plus make profit on the tickets and concession. I still think you'd have a decent crowd for and OOC game that wasn't Ole Miss or USM. Perhaps JSU if not a Sun Belt or CUSA school.

I'm not sure how the contracts are set-up. Used to when they played the Mayor's Trophy the designated "home" team would run everything and get the money- but that was a huge hassle and it almost ended the Mayor's Trophy. They then negotiated a contract where everything was split. I imagine that's pretty similar to what the Braves do. They probably pay both schools X amount of money and may provide food, gas for the bus and whatever else.

I don't know how much we would make by playing in Jackson vs. Starkville for a typical midweek game. You're right that the crowds are not large in Starkville for midweek. If we played La Tech in Pearl, our fans would show up here because of the novelty of it. It's a chance to see MSU play baseball- which is rare for Pearl. The downside is transporting the team and they would miss a day of class. I would still like to see us play one additional OOC game in Pearl though. Maybe even tie it in with a M-Braves game double header type of deal where the Braves play a game first and then we play. That's what we did when we played at Autozone last year with the Redbirds playing first and then we played.

I'm not worried about Biloxi taking the Governor's Cup. I am a little worried about the USM game. I want to just play them once in Pearl and that be it. More than likely, I bet we end up playing them once in Pearl and once in Biloxi or the game alternates every other year. Personally, I would like to play LSU in Biloxi- but they're not going to agree to it. They only play OOC games in Louisiana unless it's a major tournament like the one in Houston. More than likely I bet we play South Alabama in Biloxi because we have a good relationship with their program right now. Tulane would be good if their coach will bury the hatchet with Cohen.

The stadium in Biloxi is probably going to get the C-USA tournament after it's built. There was some conflict in Pearl over some things including the state high school baseball tournament- which probably does draw more than the C-USA Tournament would believe it or not. I think the C-USA people like the lodging situation in Biloxi as well.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Your first sentence I agree but don't really care. Right now our post-season standing is more important to me than what some random guy thinks about us on whether we play a game in Pearl that is not set up fairly for both teams. The second sentence I just disagree with. If our SEC series started Fri instead of Thur it would open up a LOT of other options for us from a pitching perspective. We could pitch some guys on Tuesday night that wouldn't likely pitch again until Sunday. Now those options are GONE. And OM has a LOT more options given they didn't play this past Sunday than if they had and can also pitch guys that will pitch later in the SEC weekend, we don't have the same luxury. As stated, I'll be shocked if we are even competitive in this game given the situation.

It would be hugely embarrassing and it would hurt our relationship with the Mississippi Braves. If we opted out, it would be a story that would be covered a lot more than it would if we lost 20-0. You would have Perfect Game, Baseball America, and etc. talking about it. It would be a huge black eye for the program.

Losing to them is not going to hurt us from a post-season standpoint because of their RPI. Beating them helps. Stepping on the field helps at the very least of SOS. Other than the game itself we don't have much to lose.

Cohen is too competitive to throw a bunch of walk-ons out there. Against USM, he threw Bracewell, Woodruff, Lindgren, and Holder. Fitts typically throws 50 pitches. Lindgren threw 60 pitches on Friday and should be ready whomever we start. If Cohen does what I said do earlier, we're going to be OK on both fronts for the Governor's Cup and the SEC series.

BulldogBear
04-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Tulane would be good if their coach will bury the hatchet with Cohen.

What's the beef with Jones? I've either forgotten or never knew.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 07:11 PM
What's the beef with Jones? I've either forgotten or never knew.

Jarrod Parks recruitment. He was committed to Tulane because Polk didn't want him. Cohen was hired and he was one of Cohen's first recruits. Cohen allegedly told him to drop a class that he needed to get into Tulane so that he would be released from his scholarship and come to MSU. That was six years ago, they may have buried the hatchet. We might play them in the pre-season tournment in NOLA in a couple of years in fact.

M.Fillmore
04-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Jarrod Parks recruitment. He was committed to Tulane because Polk didn't want him. Cohen was hired and he was one of Cohen's first recruits. Cohen allegedly told him to drop a class that he needed to get into Tulane so that he would be released from his scholarship and come to MSU. That was six years ago, they may have buried the hatchet. We might play them in the pre-season tournment in NOLA in a couple of years in fact.

I hope the hatchet is buried. Park's dad told me that Jones was reeeeeeeally mad about Jarrod's transfer to MSU.

preachermatt83
04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
I believe Sexton is getting the start tmr night if nothing changes.

Todd4State
04-22-2014, 01:17 AM
I hope the hatchet is buried. Park's dad told me that Jones was reeeeeeeally mad about Jarrod's transfer to MSU.

Tulane is 17-22 right now. If Jones doesn't turn it around, he will at the very least be on the hot seat, if not fired. Especially in light of what ULL is doing in Lafayette right now.

If Jones gets fired- then that could very well bury the hatchet for us.

Tulane is a team that I would like to play because they are typically pretty good so they're not going to hurt our RPI or SOS. They're a good team to play in Starkville, New Orleans and they are also a good fit for Biloxi or even Pearl for that matter with their ties to Mississippi.

sbcmortgageman
04-22-2014, 04:27 AM
I'm sure we will start sexton. We need this win for RPI purposes. I wouldn't be surprised to see holder 1st outa the pen.

Saltydog
04-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Holder. Teams have adjusted to him to the point where he's just really not an effective closer anymore. I'd rather have Lindgren close to be honest. Not having a third pitch is killing him.

dickiedawg
04-22-2014, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't think we'd see Lindgren or Holder, really, more than maybe an inning each. We have an actual SEC series starting in 2 days.

RAYn_Man
04-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Holder. Teams have adjusted to him to the point where he's just really not an effective closer anymore. I'd rather have Lindgren close to be honest. Not having a third pitch is killing him.

Lindgren doesn't throw a third pitch either.

RAYn_Man
04-22-2014, 08:08 AM
I heard Laster is starting.

Saltydog
04-22-2014, 08:51 AM
comfortable with Holder coming into any close game. Teams just sit on his fastball and hammer it.

BulldogBear
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Tulane is 17-22 right now. If Jones doesn't turn it around, he will at the very least be on the hot seat, if not fired. Especially in light of what ULL is doing in Lafayette right now.

If Jones gets fired- then that could very well bury the hatchet for us.

Tulane is a team that I would like to play because they are typically pretty good so they're not going to hurt our RPI or SOS. They're a good team to play in Starkville, New Orleans and they are also a good fit for Biloxi or even Pearl for that matter with their ties to Mississippi.

Do you remember when they used to open the season with a "challenge" of sorts (LA vs. another state) in the Superdome? Do they still do something like that?

You know, it'd be sweet if they opened that field in Biloxi with a tournament like that. Have Ole Miss, MSU, and USM play a 3 game round robin vs. ULL, LSU and Tulane.

maroonmania
04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
comfortable with Holder coming into any close game. Teams just sit on his fastball and hammer it.

Believe you are going TOO negative on Holder. He may not be as dominant this year as he was his first 2 years but he's still among the best we have. He is 4-1 with a 3.00 ERA and 4 saves on the season and saved our bacon this past Friday night at Mizzou pitching over 5 innings and giving up no runs for the win. Mitchell, Lindgren and Holder are about the only 3 active pitchers we have at the moment that we can have any confidence in when they are on the mound.