PDA

View Full Version : BearShark's OL may be getting a little thinner.

Jacksondevildog
04-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Rumor is Austin Golsen may be leaving the tabernacle. He was expected to start at RT this year. Gonna be a big blow to their crusade this year.

Homedawg
04-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Has he grown tired of the beautiful women?

Political Hack
04-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Tunsil and Treadwell are the key to their season. Their defense should be pretty good.

jimbo352
04-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Rumor is Austin Golsen may be leaving the tabernacle. He was expected to start at RT this year. Gonna be a big blow to their crusade this year.

It's confirmed... He's out, possibly transferring and sitting out at Auburn. Odd for a guy to give up a starting job, just to sit out and miss time. I thought Auburn was doing okay on the OL front.

Jacksondevildog
04-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Wonder if some plantation owner will make a nice donation to keep him in oxford?

engie
04-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Tunsil and Treadwell are the key to their season. Their defense should be pretty good.

This is a frigging huge puzzle piece missing for them. He may not have all of Tunsil's accolades -- but as of today, they've got NO ONE else to play tackle...

Political Hack
04-21-2014, 08:48 AM
This is a frigging huge puzzle piece missing for them. He may not have all of Tunsil's accolades -- but as of today, they've got NO ONE else to play tackle...

not suggesting otherwise. just pointing out that now that Golson is gone everything on their offense rest on only two guys. If they lose either of those, they could have a terrible season offensively.

slickdawg
04-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Bo Bounds just confirmed this

messageboardsuperhero
04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
That's a huge blow to an already razor thin OL.

As of now, they only have few proven linemen on their entire team- and the two best are coming off of pretty significant injuries.

spiritual_machine2005
04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Jeremy Liggins to OL?? HAHAHAH

EAVdog
04-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Maybe his girlfriend broke up with him, didn't she also get a scholly to Ole Miss?

engie
04-21-2014, 09:01 AM
It can be terrible with Tunsil still playing left tackle if they can't get anyone else to be decent on the other end...

As of today, it's looking like they will be counting on a JUNE-enrollee JUCO for the right tackle spot -- and have literally nothing for depth at the spot beyond him...

slickdawg
04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Well, everyone thought they were razor thin in 2012, they managed to get through it and made it to a bowl.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, but just making it to a bowl this year will be a big disappointment for them.

BossDawg
04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Well, everyone thought they were razor thin in 2012, they managed to get through it and made it to a bowl.

I wonder if Freeze's offense caught a lot of people off guard at first though.

Irondawg
04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
does seem like an odd transfer - I'm sure there is more to the story

Sam&DeansDawg
04-21-2014, 09:16 AM

That was insane. I blame HGH

Coach34
04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Couple injuries to the OL and they are ****ed

Coach34
04-21-2014, 09:21 AM

and they were extremely fortunate with limited injuries. Can they walk that tightrope again in. 2014?

DawgPoundRock
04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
I waiting for the imfamous spin on this one...haha theres no downplaying this they are in full melt mode

jumbo
04-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I wonder if Freeze's offense caught a lot of people off guard at first though.

I think it did for sure. Then teams figured out all you have to do is jam the receivers at the line and take away the screen pass, make Bro beat you down field, which he can't do.

engie
04-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Yep... They are melting... And rightly so...

That's the one position that they absolutely could not afford to lose anybody...

mic
04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
wow.. Kid is committed to FSU for over a year. One visit to Oxford and signs with Bears. Year later he is gone. Could have been on a National Championship team with probably 4 years left to play.
Almost as bad as a decision as another Golson that didn't take the 7 figures to play baseball for the red sox..
You think both Golson's may want a Do-Over.....??????

Goat Holder
04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Closer to home says SB Nation? Not sure how he's going to accomplish that, Alabama and Auburn aren't going to get him. Florida State probably won't either. So exactly how is he going to accomplish this? The 'home' excuse sounds like damage control on the rebel front to me.

engie
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Auburn will probably take him...he'll just have to go JUCO for a year...

It's not hard for 4* OTs to find a home...

Martianlander
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Interesting. I'm sure the tsun nation will say his replacement is so much better-maybe even an All American. They will keep the spin going.

engie
04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Interesting. I'm sure the tsun nation will say his replacement is so much better-maybe even an All American. They will keep the spin going.

Not on this one...

Jacksondevildog
04-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Agreed. They are on suicide watch right now on their boards. Jonestown style.

smootness
04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Not only does this clearly hurt them for this year and the next couple of years, but it also puts another hole in that 2013 class. They also lost Christian Morgan and Kailo Moore and Lavon Hooks look like they aren't nearly as good as advertised. So now, outside of the top 4 (who are all legitimate talents), their top players from that class are Mark Dodson, Devante Kincaide, and....Derrick Jones? Jordan Wilkins? Ryan Buchanan? Davion Johnson?

Those top 4 are great talents and good enough that their recruiting class should still be considered very good overall, but I don't understand why people are saying, 'Ole Miss has tons of talent and is ready to break out'. They basically have typical Ole Miss talent except for those 4 guys. I guess some just see that their class was top 5 in 2013 and assume it was loaded all the way through. In reality, they got 4 #1 guys and it was somewhat top-heavy then; now it's definitely very top-heavy.

mic
04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
maybe Coach Davis at Co-Lin can get on this kid..

mic
04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Not only does this clearly hurt them for this year and the next couple of years, but it also puts another hole in that 2013 class. They also lost Christian Morgan and Kailo Moore and Lavon Hooks look like they aren't nearly as good as advertised. So now, outside of the top 4 (who are all legitimate talents), their top players from that class are Mark Dodson, Devante Kincaide, and....Derrick Jones? Jordan Wilkins? Ryan Buchanan? Davion Johnson?

Those top 4 are great talents and good enough that their recruiting class should still be considered very good overall, but I don't understand why people are saying, 'Ole Miss has tons of talent and is ready to break out'. They basically have typical Ole Miss talent except for those 4 guys. I guess some just see that their class was top 5 in 2013 and assume it was loaded all the way through. In reality, they got 4 #1 guys and it was somewhat top-heavy then; now it's definitely very top-heavy.

What happened to Hooks.????

woozman
04-21-2014, 10:06 AM

That's true, but that would be the case for a large % of the teams in the SEC (including us)...

woozman
04-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Like engie said, not this time. An example from a "respected" Spirit poster:

"Think Freeze can draw up an effective offense...
... That only uses three offensive linemen?

My expectations for the season just went way down. Sure, it's only one player. But, boy... was it ever an important one."

AlSwearengen
04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
This is the second former FSU commit to leave olemiss soon after they get to campus. Golson was the number three tackle prospect in the country and played quite a bit last year as a true freshman, so playing time is definitely not an issue in this case. I'm starting to wonder if oxford and olemiss are actually the wonderful places that I have been led to believe they are. Something is up in o-town.

BulldogBear
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Thin OL will be their ready made excuse if they underachieve.

Why the heck would anyone leave the most prestigious football program in NCAA history***???

spiritual_machine2005
04-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Top heavy things tend to fall over rather easily.

deltadawg99
04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Yancy says they didn't want him anyway

BulldogBear
04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
The check bounced

messageboardsuperhero
04-21-2014, 10:16 AM

That class looks very top-heavy now- although they may have a few more good prospects who redshirted that we don't know about.

The more you think about it, was UM's 2013 really all that much better than our 2013 class? Their top 5 are really good, but I think our depth is significantly better.

starkvegasdawg
04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
I guess Robert D better learn some offensive line skills now.

whosyourdawgy
04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Freeze says that his grandfathers are sick and he wants to be closer to home and that the transfer is not a done deal.

smootness
04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
What happened to Hooks.????

I was missing an important comma. Morgan is the one that left; both Moore and Hooks are still there, just not as good as advertised.

smootness
04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
That class looks very top-heavy now- although they may have a few more good prospects who redshirted that we don't know about.

The more you think about it, was UM's 2013 really all that much better than our 2013 class? Their top 5 are really good, but I think our depth is significantly better.

I know about everyone they signed in the 2013 class. I'm sure some redshirted, but they will have to be much better than their recruiting ranking in order to elevate the class. What I'm saying is that now, outside of the top 4, they don't have a lot of players from that class who were all that highly-rated. And two of the ones that were and did play did not look good.

M.Fillmore
04-21-2014, 10:21 AM
...he'll just have to go JUCO for a year....

Buddy Stevens likes Engie's idea.

hailmari
04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
What's the story on Christian Morgan? I guess I missed that one

DawgPoundRock
04-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Hmm I was thinking TSUN would beat Boise State pretty easy, now im not so sure

slickdawg
04-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Things could get really bad really quick for them. Thin OL allows Wallace to get hurt, then its two redshirt freshmen in line. But they are both 4 *'s, so all is well. ******

Johnson85
04-21-2014, 11:04 AM

We had the same type luck in 2010 and then it ran out in 2011. It's not unheard of to make it through a year without any significant OL injuries, but it's not something you want your season depending on. I sure wish we had another OT we could count on right now.

Coach34
04-21-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm not worried about us

Clausell and Malone will be good OT's. Senior is a solid back-up and Warren will continue to get better
Beckwith and Clayborn are good guards and Flowers had a great Spring...Jocquell Johnson will factor in somewhere

I worry more about Day staying healthy than anyone...losing him would cause some problems

Jacksondevildog
04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Im sure they are trying to pool some money to get him "happy" to be in Oxford. They know the consequence of losing him and they will make damn sure they do everything to keep him there.

engie
04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm not worried about us

Clausell and Malone will be good OT's. Senior is a solid back-up and Warren will continue to get better
Beckwith and Clayborn are good guards and Flowers had a great Spring...Jocquell Johnson will factor in somewhere

I worry more about Day staying healthy than anyone...losing him would cause some problems

We will have, using last year's numbers, the 30th most(starting) experienced OL in the country...

PMDawg
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM

same can be said for us. Tackle has me nervous. One or two injuries at either OT position for us could spell disaster.

But you're right - they may ask CBS to throw 500 bubble screens this year if another OL goes down.

starkvegasdawg
04-21-2014, 11:18 AM
I read something on Nafoom where one of the posters was saying the coaching staff had to go to his house in January and beg him to come back after Christmas break. That doesn't sound like a sick relative. That sounds like a "Man, what the 17 was I thinking signing with this dump of a program?". If he does indeed leave the program and then if - or when - Tunsil gets hurt that offensive line is not going to be able to stop anybody. It won't matter of CBS has a miraculous healing of his shoulder allowing him to launch it 70 yards in the air because his WR's won't have time to get 5 yards downfield before the defensive line is making a personal acquaintence with him. And with no decent running threat to take the pressure off...you know since they didn't need a big power back like Aeris because they had their 5'9" 180 lbs backs...it could spell a long season offensively.

vv83
04-21-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't mean to be an ass, but how many other college athletes do you think have sick grandparents? It's just a fact of life that old people get sick and pass. I may be insensitive because I never got the opportunity to meet any of my grandparents before they passed but is this really a reason to transfer schools? Our starting QB had a mother back in LA who was fighting for her life the entire time Dak was at college but he stuck it out here for his teammates and his University. Couldn't be more proud of Dak.

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
What's the verdict? Is he gone? Is he not?

HoopsDawg
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

We would be too.

mic
04-21-2014, 11:58 AM
We would be too.

Not near as bad.. they were razor thin before this..
I don't think it is given that the juco kid Cooper will get in school.. If he doesn't it just got real serious..

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Freeze says that his grandfathers are sick and he wants to be closer to home and that the transfer is not a done deal.

No one uses the sick grandfather excuse more than Ole Miss. Whether it's for players coming or going.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Im sure they are trying to pool some money to get him "happy" to be in Oxford. They know the consequence of losing him and they will make damn sure they do everything to keep him there.

Exactly.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
same can be said for us. Tackle has me nervous. One or two injuries at either OT position for us could spell disaster.

But you're right - they may ask CBS to throw 500 bubble screens this year if another OL goes down.

I bet Ole Miss would take Damien Robinson right now.

thf24
04-21-2014, 12:09 PM
We would be too.

We wouldn't have to start true freshmen as a result of as few as one injury. They would. Our second line should be at least serviceable at every position except center (which is admittedly concerning).

engie
04-21-2014, 12:24 PM
We wouldn't have to start true freshmen as a result of as few as one injury. They would. Our second line should be at least serviceable at every position except center (which is admittedly concerning).

Muniz and Beckwith both practiced center and looked passable...

We're actually deeper on the OL overall than we've been at any other time under Mullen as of today IMO. That's not to say that we're in good shape -- we still aren't where we'd like to be. But the OL is different than other positions on the field -- in that NO team has more than 8 or so that are ready -- regardless of how many stars they had...

We've got at least 3 -- likely to be 4 -- tackles that are game ready. We haven't had that before. The fact that Senior hasn't seen one damn snap at right tackle to the best of my knowledge tells us all we need to know about how Mullen feels about the position. He was already our 2nd best tackle by the end of last year. And that isn't even including the 5th yr SR that is likely to be around for depth purposes only...

deltadawg99
04-21-2014, 12:24 PM
I do find it odd that Freeze said that he doesn't think they would block him from transferring directly to an SEC West school.

thf24
04-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Good to know.

I do find it odd that Freeze said that he doesn't think they would block him from transferring directly to an SEC West school.

He flipped from a national powerhouse to them on his first visit. They've got to give him whatever he wants, including an easy out if they can't keep him happy.

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 12:30 PM

if Freeze doesn't block the kid transferring to Auburn, he's a moron.

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 12:31 PM
OM is a house of cards at the moment. Freeze brought them "back" way too quickly. It'll show this season if the injury bug nips at all.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 12:33 PM

I don't. It's probably the deal where Golson says "I'm going to Auburn or I am talking to the media about recruitapalooza 2013. What's it gonna be Rev.?

fishwater99
04-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Golson can do what he wants. He has too much on the Bears...

PassInterference
04-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Its been said if you croot a guy too hard $$$ then he ends up owning you. So no, Hugh's comments don't surprise me.

HailState39110
04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Sounds like Golson is holding out like free agent negotiating a better deal with the Rebs. Once a few of the cigar boy boosters doubles his current comp plan he will be back in uniform by fall practice

thf24
04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I suspect Ole Miss has quite a few players with total leverage on them after 2013. It could get real interesting if several of those guys just now realize after this incident to what degree they have them by the balls. House of cards is right, Pollo.

chef dixon
04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
To everyone saying we would be screwed with a couple of injuries, well yea, every single damn team in the country is not build well enough to take multiple O-line hits. The whole offensive line analysis is beaten to death by people who are more than just the casual fan. Our offensive line isn't the greatest, but I think its plenty good enough to accomplish what we should this season.

msstate7
04-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Sounds like Golson is holding out like free agent negotiating a better deal with the Rebs. Once a few of the cigar boy boosters doubles his current comp plan he will be back in uniform by fall practice

If this happens, which player(s) do the same thing? If I'm tunsil, I announce I'm transferring within the hour

Oxfordawg
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Maybe tiring of the double standard. Seems some players have a lot more lead way than others

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
If this happens, which player(s) do the same thing? If I'm tunsil, I announce I'm transferring within the hour

Kalio.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 01:07 PM
I suspect Ole Miss has quite a few players with total leverage on them after 2013. It could get real interesting if several of those guys just now realize after this incident to what degree they have them by the balls. House of cards is right, Pollo.

There's a reason that guys like Nkemdiche can rob a store and still be on the team.

notsofarawaydawg
04-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Just confirmed **

Hugh gave a written test on the new signals the Bears will be using next season and this guy failed the test. Word on the street is that Beav had to remove all the religious references he was using for signals. **

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM

I kinda suspect this too. There is no telling how much that 2013 class ran them and is still costing them. It will poison that team. Mark my words. Freeze and his booster minions did all they could to get OM back "relevant" again overnight. But they've had paid to a high a price for it. It's like the French at Borodino. You won, but the vitcory will be Pyrrhic. It always is for them. I hope the 2012 EB was fun, bitches.

Leroy Jenkins
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

When you pay players they own you... not the other way around.

HoopsDawg
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

We're actually deeper on the OL overall than we've been at any other time under Mullen as of today IMO. That's not to say that we're in good shape -- we still aren't where we'd like to be. But the OL is different than other positions on the field -- in that NO team has more than 8 or so that are ready -- regardless of how many stars they had...

We've got at least 3 -- likely to be 4 -- tackles that are game ready. We haven't had that before. The fact that Senior hasn't seen one damn snap at right tackle to the best of my knowledge tells us all we need to know about how Mullen feels about the position. He was already our 2nd best tackle by the end of last year. And that isn't even including the 5th yr SR that is likely to be around for depth purposes only...

It depends on your definition of deep. And this board's confidence in our O-line is higher than mine. We are laughing at Ole Miss for their RT issues while at the same time this board has Malone penciled in as the starter despite Zero Playing time or Practice time at RT. We also hope/think Clayborn is going to be good but he wasn't good last year albeit as a true freshman. Some argued Beckwith was the weak link last year and now he is back and we call RG solid? And Clausell has never been particularly good as a run blocker. Senior hasn't moved to RT b/c you can't be 280 pounds and play RT in the SEC. Day is an above average Center due to all of the playing time, but his injury has been rumored to be somewhat serious. This is the unit that may prevent us from hitting our high expectations.

DCdawg
04-21-2014, 02:03 PM
I saw Clayborn last year and was pretty impressed for him to be a true freshman.

esplanade91
04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
5 years ago I'd scoff at the idea of a RT being 280 lbs in the SEC and until last year I would think that would mean we were bound for 3-9, but having a Tebow-type QB eliminates a big need for a massive offensive line. DE's aren't going to be bulldozing guys to get into the backfield.

Now, 280 is still small and I'm not saying I'm ok with having a 280 lbs guy out of principal.... But if he wins the job fair and square I'm not going to write him off because of size. Our system allows for a smaller OL.

ETA: If he's 280 lbs he better be athletic.

mic
04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
It depends on your definition of deep. And this board's confidence in our O-line is higher than mine. We are laughing at Ole Miss for their RT issues while at the same time this board has Malone penciled in as the starter despite Zero Playing time or Practice time at RT. We also hope/think Clayborn is going to be good but he wasn't good last year albeit as a true freshman. Some argued Beckwith was the weak link last year and now he is back and we call RG solid? And Clausell has never been particularly good as a run blocker. Senior hasn't moved to RT b/c you can't be 280 pounds and play RT in the SEC. Day is an above average Center due to all of the playing time, but his injury has been rumored to be somewhat serious. This is the unit that may prevent us from hitting our high expectations.

Clayborn wasn't good as a frosh.???? Everyone I have talked with has said right now in his career Clayborn is ahead of where Gabe was at this time
Clausell has been very solid and steady at LT
Im not sure where you get 280 from with Senior. He was listed at 300 last year. And he seems pretty athletic
Who has said Dillions injury is that serious..?? he practiced basically the entire spring
Malone may be good enough to play and start at RT if he isn't then we have very good depth at the Guard position. He didn't do much in the spring because of injury.
Johnson may come in and lock up the RT spot. Again had a injury limited in spring
All the coaches said that Robinson had a good spring. (Im still not sold on him)
Jake Thomas, Flowers, Depser, Cole, Senior are all just Soph and have a shot at being good SEC players.
Rufus may be the wildcard out of the bunch. Very athletic

Yes RT is an issue right now. But Depth wise with or without Golson we are much deeper than the Bears ... And I guess they are all counting on a Juco to step in now and start at RT. Cooper isn't even on campus yet and if he does make probably wont get there till August..

Coach34
04-21-2014, 02:42 PM

We'll just have to disagree on the OL

Clayborn was very good for true freshman at the end of the season last year. Everybody seems to think Chris Jones is going to be All-SEC, well he wasnt winning anymore than 50% of the battles with Clayborn this Spring.

Clausell is good SEC LT and will be signed by an NFL team as FA at worst

Who said Beckwith was a weak link? Go back and watch the Egg Bowl and you will change your opinion

Day is a good SEC Center

Whether he has played RT or not- Malone has been an SEC starter and played live football in the trenches. Myself and others wondered why he wasnt at Tackle in the first place.

Johnson is experienced
Flowers redshirted and had a great Spring
Senior is a solid back-up
Warren was getting better everyday.

I feel really good about 9 of our guys. Not to mention- we have 3-4 TE's that can play and help out our OT's if we have problems somewhere. It's already rumored we plan to run some 3 TE sets to be more physical

Johnson85
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM

Our OL situation is not great, but it's not as bad as you say. Clausell, Clayborne, Day, Beckwith, and Malone (at G) are all known quantities if healthy. I don't think any of them are great although Clayborne may be, but Clausell, Day, and Malone (at G) are all pretty good. You put another OT the quality of Clausell and another OG the quality of Malone with that group, and you have a very good line overall even if there aren't any high draft picks in the group.

I do agree that RT and the possibility of an injured Day have me very worried. But if I weren't worried about injuries, I'd feel pretty good about our O-Line. A few years ago when we were screwed at OT, we moved a starting DL to OL for his senior season. The fact that there weren't open tryouts at RT in the spring has me feeling a little better about that spot. If Mullen wasn't very confident that we had a solid option at that spot, I think we'd have seen him trying a lot more options there this spring.

Johnson85
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

What is Desper now, a redshirt sophomore? Is he not ready for SEC football yet?

RossDawg82
04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
BS!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't buy one minute of the grandparent story. Is the guy like a nurse or something? why does he need to be closer? What is he gonna babysit them at night or something? No matter where he plays he is gonna be practicing, traveling, studying, or playing pretty much the whole week. He has been bought by AUB. We shouldn't release him to another SEC school. He Can go to Troy and babysit his pappy at night.This is from the Spirit Board. What a bunch of ****ing dicks.

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Doubt the dude goes anywhere.

HoopsDawg
04-21-2014, 03:31 PM
We'll just have to disagree on the OL

Quick question, did you think our O-line was a good run blocking O-line last year? If your answer is yes, then we will have to agree to disagree. And we just lost a 2nd round road-grader from that group and a serviceable RT.

mic
04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Quick question, did you think our O-line was a good run blocking O-line last year? If your answer is yes, then we will have to agree to disagree. And we just lost a 2nd round road-grader from that group and a serviceable RT.

I bet we run the ball better this year than last year...

HoopsDawg
04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I bet we run the ball better this year than last year...

Only if we are willing to let Dak take an absolute pounding which is something I hope we can avoid.

thf24
04-21-2014, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't call our run blocking bad last year. We had 190 rushing yards per game, which isn't terrible and was good for middle of the pack in the conference. And that was with playing the wrong running back for most of the season. Could be better, but it wasn't bad by any means.

mic
04-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Only if we are willing to let Dak take an absolute pounding which is something I hope we can avoid.

Not true.
The threat of Dak running will help our backs.
Dak's improved passing and the entire WR core back will help
Playing more TE sets will help our running.
Not having Perk as crazy as that sounds will help.
A close to or 100% Griffin will help
And our line will be fine.. Siddoway gone isn't that big a deal. Of course losing Gabe is , but another year with Clayborn, and 3 SR along with him will be fine...

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Yes we had a good run blocking o-line. It's not their fault that Dan tried to use Perkins like Vick Ballard. They did their job for the most part.

And they'll be even better because:

1. They're more experienced

2. Dak is going to be an even better passer, which makes it easier on them when we run the ball because it will take a man out of the box, which means one less guy to block.

3. Robinson and Shumpert can be used like Vick Ballard and be effective, which again is going to make them look better.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM

I'm not worried about that. Dak is going to be a better passer than he was last year. And I have to wonder if the reason why he kept it a lot of times was because he didn't think Perkins could pick up the yardage.

Coach34
04-21-2014, 03:59 PM

No

Having J-Rob in there makes our rushing attack better. Look no further than the UPig game for evidence. It's a different rushing attack with him in there. Dakota is going to get his carries also- there is no doubt there. You can count on 175 carries out of him probably.

As far as the OL- I think Malone will be better than Siddoway- but Clayborn wont be as good as Jackson was as a Sr.

mic
04-21-2014, 06:43 PM
I would like to see a up to date ranking now of that "top 10" class.
I know of these if Golson does leave... there may be some I left off..
Morgan TE 4*
Golson OT 4*
Snoop CB 4*
Jackson TE 3*
Robinson OLB 3*

esplanade91
04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
I would like to see a up to date ranking now of that "top 10" class.
I know of these if Golson does leave... there may be some I left off..
Morgan TE 4*
Golson OT 4*
Snoop CB 4*
Jackson TE 3*
Robinson OLB 3*
It's been a minute since Snoop signed.

Not to be the beacon of reasonable bickering, but if we start adding up guys who sucked or left from MSU's pool of highly touted lot it would stack up pretty nicely.

I'd still kill to have a top 10 class. The thing that's puzzling to me is why a bonafide starter would want to transfer. That's fishy, I don't care which way you spin it.

Todd4State
04-21-2014, 06:57 PM

Not to be the beacon of reasonable bickering, but if we start adding up guys who sucked or left from MSU's pool of highly touted lot it would stack up pretty nicely.

I'd still kill to have a top 10 class. The thing that's puzzling to me is why a bonafide starter would want to transfer. That's fishy, I don't care which way you spin it.

They counted Brassell in that class as well.

I'd kill to have a legit top 10 class. Like Alabama's- NOT like Ole Miss.

msstate7
04-21-2014, 07:00 PM

I think the kid is transferring for one or more of the following reasons:

1. The reason he gave

2. He knows he can play for a national power in his home state.

3. Realizes OM is mediocre at best

4. Doesn't like the culture surrounding the program

mic
04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
They counted Brassell in that class as well.

I'd kill to have a legit top 10 class. Like Alabama's- NOT like Ole Miss.

EXACTALY... ^^^

Dawghouse
04-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Snoop signed (for the 2nd time) in 2013.

mic
04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

I think we had 3 from that class.
Sandberg
Gray ( who we get back in 2015)
Chappell

Not too bad..

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

1. The reason he gave

5. Is holding out for some big time booster to open the purse strings and pay him to stay.

msstate7
04-21-2014, 07:11 PM
5. Is holding out for some big time booster to open the purse strings and pay him to stay.

I really hope this is the case. The Kim brothers, tunsil, Taylor, treadwell, etc will follow his lead. Keep OM boosters tapped with our recruiting class shaping up to be special

AlSwearengen
04-21-2014, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I've seen on nafoom and the spirit that olemiss' other site reported that Golson had told someone, maybe the writer for that site that "he just didn't fit in at olemiss". That along with the report that coaches had to go to alabama to talk him into coming back after christmas break tells us that he just didn't like being at olemiss. But of course, we sort of knew that might be the reason.

Pollodawg
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I've seen on nafoom and the spirit that olemiss' other site reported that Golson had told someone, maybe the writer for that site that "he just didn't fit in at olemiss". That along with the report that coaches had to go to alabama to talk him into coming back after christmas break tells us that he just didn't like being at olemiss. But of course, we sort of knew that might be the reason.

I heard somewhere also that they had to beg the kid to come back from Christmas break.

CadaverDawg
04-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I bet Ole Miss would take Damien Robinson right now.

Only if he counted towards their recruiting ranking for the year.

#4StarsForDamien
#CrootinChampionships

Coach34
04-21-2014, 09:56 PM
I heard somewhere also that they had to beg the kid to come back from Christmas break.

This

I heard 3 months ago they had to go get him to get him back on campus after Christmas. He just wants out of there, hell, who could blame him? It's Grenada without the Lake... Might as well have their campus in Ripley or some shit

Alphadog
04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
This

I heard 3 months ago they had to go get him to get him back on campus after Christmas. He just wants out of there, hell, who could blame him? It's Grenada without the Lake... Might as well have their campus in Ripley or some shit

Ole Miss wishes they had First Monday

hailmari
04-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Ole Miss wishes they had First Monday

I bet oxford doesn't have a single place where you can buy a goat and belt buckles all in one stop.

esplanade91
04-21-2014, 11:56 PM
I think we had 3 from that class.
Sandberg
Gray ( who we get back in 2015)
Chappell

Not too bad..
Sandberg is a top 15 QB if he doesn't play baseball... That was big.

Kimdeachiees brotha from anotha motha lasted about 4 days and bitched the whole time.

That's why I laugh at and talk shit about Yancy and his disciples. You can't look at a recruiting class and "know" that team will be good or bad in 3 years. Templeton Hardy, Robert Elliot, and (I forget the name of that huge ass RB who transferred and never did shit) were all "huge" gets for MSU. Their lesser counterparts who no one else really seemed to want are all in the NFL. A solid percent of kids won't make it to their senior year, and not because they were good enough to leave early. Another portion of 3 and 4 stars will lose their jobs to true or redshirt freshmen (Morrow, Robinson) who no one is even considering at this point.

When you put all of your eggs in the "let's grab a bunch of people who have no business being in north Mississippi because their film looks pretty" basket more times than not it's going to blow up in your face.

PMDawg
04-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Looks like Hugh is bitter.

Hugh Freeze
@CoachHughFreeze
Commitment is staying loyal to what you said you were going to do, long after the mood you said it in, has left you #WinTheDay

msstate7
04-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Hugh Freeze
@CoachHughFreeze
Commitment is staying loyal to what you said you were going to do, long after the mood you said it in, has left you #WinTheDay

I fear for Austin's soul*

HereComesTheSpiral
04-22-2014, 08:03 AM

Hugh Freeze
@CoachHughFreeze

How does anyone still have respect for this guy?

thf24
04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Hugh Freeze
@CoachHughFreeze
Commitment is staying loyal to the people who cut you the checks, long after you realize that you don't have to #WinTheDay

Fixed.

DawgHouseUnited
04-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Obviously, he's transferring out of love.

blacklistedbully
04-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Wow. Trying to publicly shame the guy into regretting his decision to leave. There was this little tidbit from an AL.com article:

Golson said Freeze has been very understanding of the situation.

"He told me, 'Do what's best for you.' He understands it doesn't have anything to do with football."

Is Freeze talking from both sides of his mouth, perhaps pretending to be understanding, but really just trying to manipulate the kid?

Guess this also means Freeze has no intention of pursuing other team's recruits once they have "committed".***

Johnson85
04-22-2014, 08:35 AM

1. The reason he gave

5. Homesick

6. Just unhappy

There are a lot of freshmen and sophomores in college that transfer because they are too far from home (even when they are literally an hour drive away). And a lot of freshmen and sophomores that are unhappy or are just having trouble adjusting and they transfer because they think it will help, when it's not the school that's the problem.

And that's ignoring the possibility that it is just Oxford. State or Ole Miss have to worry a little bit when they get recruits from much bigger cities. I think we'd both see a lot more transfers if playing DI sports wasn't basically a full time job that doesn't give athletes enough free time to get bored with the towns. Throw in the universities racial issues, and it's easy to see why people would want to get the hell out of dodge. I doubt anybody's freshmen and sophomore experience is anything like their recruiting visits, but reality has to be especially jarring in Oxford.

esplanade91
04-22-2014, 10:44 AM
I never really thought about a player's experience being nothing like their OV. Obviously it'll never be exactly like that, but there were several players, select guys, who showed up at parties or bars in the off season or whatever who could close the place down for free basically while I was there. Guys like Chad Bumphis could still walk into the Bin and have it become a party.

It's a personality thing. College, not just for athletes, is as fun as you're willing to make it. Ask AD.

Political Hack
04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
esplande, you're talking about Montrell Conner, who unthought was going to be a beast.

PassInterference
04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
When you put all of your eggs in the "let's grab a bunch of people who have no business being in north Mississippi because their film looks pretty" basket more times than not it's going to blow up in your face.

This is exactly Freeze's strategy. He described that in detail to lots of media after the Robert Kimdeechy class. He said they identify 12 top national recruits. Not #1 - #12, but 12 of the better guys in the nation that would fill needs. They identify "champions", a person most likely able to influence the recruit. They go hard after the recruit and the champion.

Now if they are 50% successful, they sign 6 studs. But the rest of the class is just...meh.

Do that every year and build hype and momentum to the point where they can sign more and more good players without having to make the class so top heavy.

That's his plan. Period. Not my words, his.

I get it. But I also agree with you. This is not a good strategy.

However, it perfectly fits Ole Miss's obsession with image and prestige.

I'd hate to see that obsession end. 4 out of the last 5, bitches.