PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen should be dubbed "the recruiter"

Will James
04-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Because thats what he is. Moreso than Stands.

Down THREE runs we sac bunt with one of our best bats in Collins, giving an out away. Again, down THREE RUNS. Following a walk we hit into a double play getting ZERO runs... Again we give away outs in a game where we are at the end of our pen and currently down THREE runs.

Cohen in-game is severely below average. Cohen is The Recruiter because we consistently win despite him and often lose because of him.

Quaoarsking
04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
As long as we're making Regionals consistently, making it to Omaha every few years and competing for national titles, I'll take it.

Will James
04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
As long as we're making Regionals consistently, making it to Omaha every few years and competing for national titles, I'll take it.

Completely separate discussion. We will have better chances at all of those if our coach stops doing dumb things in-game.

MetEdDawg
04-20-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't have as big a problem as you with sac bunting, but I agree that in the 6th inning down 3 runs with Collins up we have no business bunting. You play the percentages for the big inning instead of getting 1 or 2 there. That's why I made the Cohen Ball comment a month ago because that is the exact definition of it. You sac bunt arguably your best extra base hit chance in the lineup down 3 in the 6th inning on the road. Tactical error in my opinion and that would have been my opinion regardless of whether we got two runs home or hit into the DP like we ended up doing.

codeDawg
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Completely separate discussion. We will have better chances at all of those if our coach stops doing dumb things in-game.

While I think he is better at some things than others, you don't play for a national title on talent alone.

Coach34
04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
That move today was Stansbury-stupid....but he has won the SEC @Kentucky and put us in a NC- so he is at least a solid coach....

I just dont get the bunt there to kill the rally and take some pressure off them.

Will James
04-20-2014, 04:08 PM
you don't play for a national title on talent alone.

This isn't football.

Cohen can get em to campus with the best of them, but when it comes to in-game managing, that's really not too difficult. Throw a little luck in there and you get us (and UCLA) in there.

Look at the MLB managers, they are completely laid back and relaxed because they don't do a whole lot. The nature of the game means its so much more about the players than coaches in baseball.

The manager just has to not **** it up, which is where Cohen fails a lot. Baserunning errors all the time, lineups, bunting, approach, etc. Thats Cohen. His recruiting should be able to mitigate his managerial woes because talent alone should get us at least a 2 seed every year and with some luck we will make deep runs every now and then

Will James
04-20-2014, 04:16 PM
His recruiting should be able to mitigate his managerial woes

Like our 9th inning today. Overcoming handcuffs to tie the game

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 05:24 PM
This isn't football.

Cohen can get em to campus with the best of them, but when it comes to in-game managing, that's really not too difficult. Throw a little luck in there and you get us (and UCLA) in there.

Look at the MLB managers, they are completely laid back and relaxed because they don't do a whole lot. The nature of the game means its so much more about the players than coaches in baseball.The manager just has to not **** it up, which is where Cohen fails a lot. Baserunning errors all the time, lineups, bunting, approach, etc. Thats Cohen. His recruiting should be able to mitigate his managerial woes because talent alone should get us at least a 2 seed every year and with some luck we will make deep runs every now and then

L. O. L.

Harrydawg
04-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Thank you Mrs. Bianco......STFU

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Will you should be banned from all baseball discussions.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-20-2014, 05:41 PM

I second this.

The constant bitching about everything that goes wrong gets obnoxious after a page or two.

basedog
04-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Will James, you are so negative! You have no idea about coaching! Regardless of the strategy or coaching decisions, player have to execute. Pretty easy to listen or watch a game and become a "coaching expert" which you are miserable at being an armchair coach!

I know as I have had the pleasure of coaching.

Damn Coach 34, he needs to go, I'd rather listen to OM bitch on your page!

C222
04-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Please make this happen. Never seen someone bitch so much about one of the most successful coaches in the history of all our sports.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 05:47 PM
I second this.

The constant bitching about everything that goes wrong gets obnoxious after a page or two.

One thing about baseball- no matter is you are small ball, long ball, or moneyball- 27 guys are going to make outs. So, going into a game, you are automatically guaranteed to screw up 27 times.

Noxdog
04-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Sure willjames is a fing ****, but he is our fing ****. Besides, who else would shine Lindgren's knob everyday??? willjames, that's who.

Will James
04-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Our talent overcame coaching blunders to win today. I am thrilled about that. I wish we could have both but shoddy managing vs talent ill take the talent every time. We got tons of talent about to come into the program an lots here already. Best recipe for success in this sport. Cohen is a great program leader because he brings in talent, doesn't take away from him being an average in-game manager. See Les Miles on occasions.

blacklistedbully
04-20-2014, 06:05 PM
I too thought it was wrong to bunt there, but I imagine JC may have legitimately figured we had a decent chance to score the remaining innings against Mizzou pitching.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I agree with Nox. He should stay.

#Our****

basedog
04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Damn, here we go again. You say average, please! Les Miles, surely you jest Will James! You are so out of it, there is more to just managing a game, like recruiting, hiring good coaches, discipline players, damn I ain't gonna say anything else cause you always come back with some stupid excuse or reply!

Average coaches are not Cohen and especially Miles!

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I too thought it was wrong to bunt there, but I imagine JC may have legitimately figured we had a decent chance to score the remaining innings against Mizzou pitching.

It was wrong to bunt there, but after that Cohen pulled Collins from the game. I'm guessing there might have been a missed sign because as much as we bunt, it's pretty unusual for even Cohen to bunt when behind like that. Plus, it's pretty unusual to take your catcher out of a game in the middle like that.

mic
04-20-2014, 06:17 PM
I second this.

I third this... Unless Will can prove he has played baseball on any level higher than high school..

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Damn, here we go again. You say average, please! Les Miles, surely you jest Will James! You are so out of it, there is more to just managing a game, like recruiting, hiring good coaches, discipline players, damn I ain't gonna say anything else cause you always come back with some stupid excuse or reply!

Average coaches are not Cohen and especially Miles!

Honestly, I think Miles is crazy but if won us some NC, I'd be OK with that.

A lot of times in baseball the unconventional coaches are the most successful. We wouldn't have made it as far as we did last year if we don't piggy back our rotation. Most managers would have never done that. Bertman was unconventional. LaRussa was unconventional. Casey Stengal was unconventional.

This is really funny to me. We have fans that say that Cohen can't recruit because of our JUCO guys and now we have fans that say all Cohen can do is recruit.

The reality is it takes a good baseball coach to:

1. Overcome the loss of four pitchers to injury.
2. Deal with a team that has had their back patted after making the NC round.
3. Deal with losing a first round pick and several other players who were outstanding leaders- and have the captains of the current team struggling in the field at times. (Bracewell and Rea)
4. Realize mid SEC season that you have to change how you are doing things- and then actually implement it and succeed (so far).

ALL of that has happened to us this year. And yet here we are 2 games outside of first place in the SEC with an outside chance to host a regional and look to be a solid 2 seed in the tournament if we keep playing well.

Saltydog
04-20-2014, 06:41 PM
for bannination, imo. He knows his baseball. He's just opinionated but then again isn't that what boards are for?

basedog
04-20-2014, 06:45 PM
I agree Todd, we lost our two best hitters, two good catchers, two good pitchers and Detz and Rea aren't as good as last year, it's pretty much a rebuilding year.

I think the pre-season having us way over-rated has made some of our fans hostile this year. Like you say we are 10-8, won four series so for with a chance to finish on the plus side in wins in the conference is good, not bad.

No doubt Cohen makes head scratching decisions but it's what he believes and if you don't trust or believe in your coaching decision's you want last long regardless of the sport in the SEC! Yes,we are winning ugly but I like it better than losing!

Been following Msu baseball lot longer than most on here, I just would love to see Cohen win the CWS, we've been close a few times but none closer than last year!

#HailState!

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
for bannination, imo. He knows his baseball. He's just opinionated but then again isn't that what boards are for?

No he does not know baseball. He knows HIS baseball which is played with a calculator.

shoeless joe
04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
The same mentality that decides to bunt so much is the same mentality that has us scratching and clawing to come back from 3 down in extras and 2 down in the ninth to win on consecutive a weekends.

I don't agree with the down 3 bunt today but his approach to the game consistently works with his guys and it consistently has us playin well at the end.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-20-2014, 07:46 PM
One thing about baseball- no matter is you are small ball, long ball, or moneyball- 27 guys are going to make outs. So, going into a game, you are automatically guaranteed to screw up 27 times.

And Will bitches about every single one of them.

HoopsDawg
04-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Man, you love to ban people. It's just his opinion and frankly, it's an opinion that makes a lot of sense. I went to MLB game day and they had runners at 1st and 2nd with no one out and they didn't bunt. And it was a tie game. I didn't know that was allowed.

Following the game on twitter, I wondered out loud why we brought in Gentry over Bracewell. Next thing I know, bases clearing double. And we see what Humphrey's can do. It's such a shame his AB's have been limited to this point.

MsStateBaseball
04-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Collins was taken out BC he was plain tired, caught 2\12 games. Humphreys MUST bat every game in some capacity, someone tell Cohen. Keep Rea on bench until he comes completely out of it. Leave Hendu on beach too most of game.

HoopsDawg
04-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Collins was taken out BC he was plain tired, caught 2\12 games. Humphreys MUST bat every game in some capacity, someone tell Cohen. Keep Rea on bench until he comes completely out of it. Leave Hendu on beach too most of game.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone but Cohen that our every-day lineup needs to be:

1. Brown, LF
2. Detz, 1B
3. Pirtle, 2B
4. Collins, C
5. Humphrey's DH
6. CT, CF
7. Armstrong, RF
8. Heck, SS
9. Britton, 3B

Doesn't have to be in that order, but that should be our 9 every game no matter if the pitcher is righty or lefty.

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Man, you love to ban people. It's just his opinion and frankly, it's an opinion that makes a lot of sense. I went to MLB game day and they had runners at 1st and 2nd with no one out and they didn't bunt. And it was a tie game. I didn't know that was allowed.

Following the game on twitter, I wondered out loud why we brought in Gentry over Bracewell. Next thing I know, bases clearing double. And we see what Humphrey's can do. It's such a shame his AB's have been limited to this point.

No I really don't. You're just pissed because I banned your punk ass. Probably should have been longer it was nice with you not around.

HoopsDawg
04-20-2014, 08:16 PM
No I really don't. You're just pissed because I banned your punk ass. Probably should have been longer it was nice with you not around.

my "punk ass"? I can tell you are a real winner.

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 08:34 PM
my "punk ass"? I can tell you are a real winner.

As can I, you.

preachermatt83
04-20-2014, 09:34 PM
I agree with Nox. He should stay.

#Our****

I agree... I don't think anyone should EVER be banned for stating their OPINION! That's what message boards are for.

preachermatt83
04-20-2014, 09:37 PM

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Strongly-Agree-Yes-Reaction-Gif.gif

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Relax. Will isn't getting banned. He doesn't know shit about baseball and whines incessantly but that's no reason to ban. Some of you guys get freak out when the "ban" word comes out. I said he should be banned from baseball threads. It was a joke....kinda

engie
04-20-2014, 09:48 PM
His only issue is that he sees it too black and white...

The primary situation he was pissed about today -- I agree 100%...

I seen it dawg
04-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Oh I agree too. Thought it was stupid to bunt when we did. But...did Collins get yanked for missing a sign or taken out for rest? I don't know. That being said Will just goes overboard when everyone knows what he's about to post. So predictable.

Bo Darville
04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Will is good at stats. But he has no clue what the stats really mean or the story that they tell. He also is clueless on baseball beyond the stats. For instance, regardless of what the stats say, you shouldn't pitch Will Cox Tuesday night because he isn't healthy. Stats be damned, he just had Tommy John. Things like that go straight over the dumb sumbitch's head.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Who was the batter? That's probably your answer why they didn't bunt.

I could understand bringing in Gentry. We had the game today, a game Tuesday, and then Thurs., Fri., Sat. Cohen probably wanted to save Ben for the Governor's Cup start- and Gentry didn't perform forcing us to bring Ben in. Also- Holder had thrown 80 something pitches and Lindgren had thrown 60 something pitches two days before. Gentry has to perform there, and he simply didn't. In his defense, it was a really tough situation. ALL of those factors that I mentioned have to be taken into account when you are managing a bullpen. Which is why I L.O.L. Will about his comment about all managers have to do is just sit there and let the players play. If it really was that easy, MLB teams wouldn't pay someone a million plus dollars to manage. They would either hire some old team legend like Hank Aaron as a figurehead or they wouldn't have them at all. It would be like a player captain doing everything.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Oh I agree too. Thought it was stupid to bunt when we did. But...did Collins get yanked for missing a sign or taken out for rest? I don't know. That being said Will just goes overboard when everyone knows what he's about to post. So predictable.

The missed sign is total speculation on my part. Heck, maybe he bunted because he was tired and he felt like he couldn't get a good swing on the ball. Who knows? Like I said, it's unusual for us to bunt when we're down by three.

The bunt was odd, taking Collins out when he did even if he was tired was odd, it was just all around weird. But that's what makes it fun right?

mic
04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
As much as I wish Collins had been in the game those last 2 AB's that Randolph had , if he did miss the sign there and bunted then bravo to Cohen for yanking his ass. Send a message. Its too long into the season to be making these mistakes. Hell just use your baseball common sense. If I had been batting and saw what I thought was the bunt sign down 3 late in the game I would have stepped out of the box and told Mingione to roll thru the signs again or hell call time and go talk to him. I am sure Mizzu wasn't expecting the bunt so its not like we were going to tip or hand..

notsofarawaydawg
04-21-2014, 08:08 AM
I haven't read a thing that #our**** has said since last season. Let the fing **** hang around. He's invisible to me so who gives a 17. #idiotsactlikewill

Lefthandersrule
04-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Sure willjames is a fing ****, but he is our fing ****. Besides, who else would shine Lindgren's knob everyday??? willjames, that's who.

You should look at the stats Nox. Will calls it like it is with this team.

When some people on this board dog cuss players noone calls them out or says they should be banned.

Just because Will knows more about the game then you is not a reason to hate!

The last time I checked this was a forum and everyone is entitled to express opinions. Even you.

ScoobaDawg
04-21-2014, 10:37 AM

When some people on this board dog cuss players noone calls them out or says they should be banned.

The last time I checked this was a forum and everyone is entitled to express opinions. Even you.

Will knows how to read stats, that doesn't mean he knows ANYTHING about the game and WHY the situational results equal those stats.

Will James
04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Will knows how to read stats, that doesn't mean he knows ANYTHING about the game and WHY the situational results equal those stats.

The use of examples is always beneficial when making asinine statements.

basedog
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM
It's not your opinion that bothers folks, it's your bitching about every play on every game when we are losing!

I never read where you say something positive about Cohen, you can hate him but to continue on and on is retarded! Use some logic or just quit bitching about every play that you don't like!

Will James
04-21-2014, 02:52 PM
It's not your opinion that bothers folks, it's your bitching about every play on every game when we are losing!

I never read where you say something positive about Cohen, you can hate him but to continue on and on is retarded! Use some logic or just quit bitching about every play that you don't like!

He's a hell of a recruiter.

During the GAME THREAD I point out where we mess up in the GAME. Also where we are doing great. Others can say why things aren't good or didnt work, I add in the "why" it was bad or stupid.

Noxdog
04-21-2014, 03:47 PM

I was the first person in the thread that said he should NOT be banned.

He is definitely irritating to say the least but that's no reason for bannination.

ScoobaDawg
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
He's a hell of a recruiter.

During the GAME THREAD I point out where we mess up in the GAME. Also where we are doing great. Others can say why things aren't good or didnt work, I add in the "why" it was bad or stupid.

Right cause you are a know it all and know WHY it doesn't work every time. According to you it's always on Cohen.