PDA

View Full Version : Somebody ease my concerns about our 2015 pitching situation....

maroonmania
04-20-2014, 01:01 PM
given we basically have 3 dependable pitchers at the moment (Mitchell, Lindgren and Holder). I expect Mitchell to come back but I figure Lindgren and Holder are likely to leave. So next year we likely have one proven returner in Mitchell and hopefully will have Preston Brown back healthy. Then we have to hope that Hudson and Sexton take a big step up and that Paul Young gets healthy. Not confident that much of other guys can be consistently good in the SEC and we see what happens when we depend on true freshmen coming in to help us. Next year is a shaky situation to me pitching wise.

MadisonDawg
04-20-2014, 01:22 PM
We'll get Shelly and Cox back too

MsStateBaseball
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
We will be pretty good at pitching, they will get better over summer and fall. Kids will make a jump and be better

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 05:45 PM
We'll have Ross back. We might get Woodruff back- and hopefully at 100%. We might get Fitts back. Preston will be back- but we may have to restrict his workload and make him a five inning guy since he has trouble recovering allegedly.

Dakota Hudson, Austin Sexton, Vance Tatum, and Zac Houston are all high end talents. They are going to go off and pitch this summer and they will benefit greatly from that. Those guys should compete for SEC weekend spots next year if someone leaves.

Paul Young is a wildcard for us coming off of Tommy John surgery- but he has a lot of talent. We have a JUCO pitcher named Daniel Brown coming in that has put up some good numbers and I expect him to contribute- plus he is only a freshman right now in JUCO. Gentry should be better also.

Jesse McCord and Aaron Dominguez are draftable type talents and Paxton Stover is going to be a good pitcher for us.

So, worst case scenario we're returning at least two guys with SEC experience including one who is an All-American.

dickiedawg
04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm more concerned about our lineup. This team without Bradford, Armstrong, Henderson, Detz and Pirtle is a scary thought.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I think our lineup will be better.

C- Collins should be even better than he is now. He's our leading hitter in SEC play coming into this weekend.
1B- Rea will be a fifth year senior. If he still can't hit, we have Garner, Rooker, and Cole Gordon.
2B- Heck at probably a more natural position for him.
3B- Britton will be a senior and Humphreys will be even better and can play here is Britton still can't hit.
SS- Holland was good enough to start for a Florida State team that went to Omaha. Essentially will replace Pirtle.
LF- Vickerson will be a senior.
CF- Cody Brown will be a redshirt sophomore and should be better.
RF- Humphreys unless he starts at third. If he has to move, then it might be Rooker, Swinarski, or Cole Gordon. I'm pretty sure Demarcus could get a medical redshirt, so he could be back.
DH- Garner will be better.

Also, Dale Burdick could be a wildcard on the infield and then we have to hope the draft is kind to us with Vallot.

Jacksondevildog
04-20-2014, 06:19 PM
I think the plan is in place for Humphreys to play 1B next year. I don't expect Rea to be back at MSU.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 06:31 PM
I think the plan is in place for Humphreys to play 1B next year. I don't expect Rea to be back at MSU.

If he quits, it wouldn't shock me. I'm not worried about it one way or the other. I'm pretty sure Garner, Rooker, Humprheys, whomever can give us 3 homers and hit 230 at least and more than likely give us more production.

Jacksondevildog
04-20-2014, 06:34 PM
I think some mlb team will take a shot at Rea and draft him.

engie
04-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Would be a waste of athleticism...

That need to be Garner's spot at this point IMO...

maroonmania
04-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm more concerned about our lineup. This team without Bradford, Armstrong, Henderson, Detz and Pirtle is a scary thought.

We have shown though that you can win without a potent lineup if we indeed end up without one but not without some shutdown pitchers. And I should have mentioned Fitts in my original list. While I personally don't consider him on the level of the other 3 he will still likely hold down a starting spot next year. And after the way Hudson and Sexton have pitched this year I refuse to have any expectations for McCord and Dominguez as true freshmen. Still not feeling great about the pitching situation in 2015.

Homedawg
04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
I would deem it likely garner isn't w us next year. He had many opportunities. And truthfully, against quality pitching he's looked bad. Would be more surprised if he's back than if he's gone.

shoeless joe
04-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Don't count on any of the guys that had TJ for next year. Takes at least 12 months and some longer. Will be a pleasant surprise if any of them are good to go day 1.

Someone should step up on the mound for next year...but as we saw this year there are no guarantees from guys that are t proven, as well as those that are.

engie
04-20-2014, 09:43 PM
I would deem it likely garner isn't w us next year. He had many opportunities. And truthfully, against quality pitching he's looked bad. Would be more surprised if he's back than if he's gone.

He hasn't had the opportunities yet.

Just needs a defined role. We kept him behind the dish for far too long apparently...