PDA

View Full Version : Hosting

curmudgeon
04-19-2014, 10:39 PM
I've run the numbers.

We need 14 more wins to host. We have 15 games remaining + the SEC Tournament.

This is probably going to be a five host year for the SEC. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and South Carolina all look solid, and Kentucky has geography and a top 10 RPI on their side. We are seemingly destined for a 2 seed at UL Lafayette, don't you say?

Here's the strange thing. Last year, every team we played in the SEC had a Top 50 RPI. That's 30 Games against Top 50 teams. This year, only five of the ten teams we play have a Top 50 RPI. That's why we are sitting at 40th in the RPI.

But here we are, with 13 games remaining sitting 3 games back of first, 2 games back of second and 1 game back of third. Do you think the third place team in the best conference in the nation isn't going to host? Possibly, but they won't pass over third to get to 4th, 5th and 6th.

And if we were to get to first or even second, there would be no chance that we would not host. If we finish fourth? Sure, pass us to take No. 5 and No. 6. But it will be tough to pass us at third and impossible to pass us at second.

So that should be the goal. Our next 10 games are against the four worst teams in the league. A great chance to make up some ground. Going 8-2 should be the goal. Bama has LSU, Carolina and Florida while we have A&M, Auburn and Tennessee. I think 19-11 wins the SEC this year. Can we finish 10-3, probably not. Can we finish 8-5 or 9-4 and finish second and make things interesting? Sure can.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for posting

bluelightstar
04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
But here we are, with 13 games remaining sitting 3 games back of first, 2 games back of second and 1 game back of third. Do you think the third place team in the best conference in the nation isn't going to host? Possibly, but they won't pass over third to get to 4th, 5th and 6th.

And if we were to get to first or even second, there would be no chance that we would not host. If we finish fourth? Sure, pass us to take No. 5 and No. 6. But it will be tough to pass us at third and impossible to pass us at second.

Honestly don't remember, but isn't that what they did last year with Arkansas? I thought they finished ahead of us, but we got the host spot.

chef dixon
04-19-2014, 11:17 PM
I was glancing at the line up of ULL. They've hit FORTYNINE home runs this year, 7 guys hitting .326 or better. I know they play some shit teams but damn.

BulldogBear
04-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Honestly don't remember, but isn't that what they did last year with Arkansas? I thought they finished ahead of us, but we got the host spot.

I don't remember either but (and I ain't trying to open a new thread about DNF) it may be different to pass MSU and DNF over a lower school in standings than vice versa. It'd be the same for LSU or SC probably also. If we finish 3rd I think we'll host and may at 4th.

Homedawg
04-20-2014, 09:49 AM
We have to get on an unbelievable roll to even get in The conversation. Just win games.

HoopsDawg
04-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Our RPI is so low due to lack of road wins and a couple of horrible home losses.

Todd4State
04-20-2014, 11:37 AM

We had a more difficult SEC schedule and OOC schedule than they did. Arkansas played Mississippi Vallley something like four times last year. And then they played some other SWAC teams.

Saltydog
04-20-2014, 01:19 PM
is if we could somehow win a regional on the road and then hope we are matched up with another regional where a no. 1 seed doesn't win.

ScottH
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I am still concerned about making the tourney. Unfortunately, hosting is out of my mind for now.

Our RPI is 40. Need to get in to the 20's. NCAA seems to like to find a SEC team to shaft.

8 Games with teams behind us .(counting today)

7 Games with teams in front of us. (counting Tuesday)

curmudgeon
04-20-2014, 02:41 PM
RPI is only one component. I guarantee we host if we finish top two in the SEC if our RPI is 50.

If you are truly concerned about not making the tournament, rest easy. We'd have to flame out and finish 12th in the conference not to host. For goodness sake, if Tennessee doesn't choke yesterday, we are two games out of first place after losing 5 of 6 the last two weekends.

This time last year, we were getting ready to get swept by Vandy and dropped to 10-11 in conference.

Quaoarsking
04-20-2014, 03:38 PM
We would have to end up 11-19 probably to miss the tournament. 12-18 would depend on Hoover.

We are a virtual lock to make it, but hosting is a huge longshot.

blacklistedbully
04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Bama about to come back to earth. Their schedule about to get exponentially tougher with series against USC, LSU. UF and us. I think they will lose 8-9 of those games to drop several spots, and probably out of hosting position.

I think it'll come down to who wins our series. Bama will be reeling from 3 straight series losses when we come to town. Both teams may be fighting for position to earn a hosting spot with a run in the SECT.

curmudgeon
04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Although we are 2 games back, we are going to have to just catch fire and probably win 7 of our next 9 to have a shot at winning the league. LSU's schedule is only slightly harder than ours, and when they and Florida bring Bama down to earth, they are building their own leads.

For us to host, I think we have to go 9-3 in our final 12, and have LSU or Florida go 8-4 or 9-3 and the other go 7-5 or worse. This gives us a solid second place finish that will be hard to ignore.

MsStateBaseball
04-20-2014, 08:04 PM
That is good stuff. We must win two from TAMU. At Auburn remember is a launch pad. Tenn is up and down. Alabama will be different by the time we play them.

Our key is getting pitchers healthy and getting hitters hot.

messageboardsuperhero
04-20-2014, 09:52 PM
It'll be really, really tough to host a regional this year. I would be pretty damn shocked if we did, honestly.

That said, we've still got a lot to play for. With our remaining schedule, the SEC crown isn't totally out of reach- in which case, we'd be a host lock.