PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Hood to enter draft.

Bucky Dog
04-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Didn't see this posted yet but apparently it was announced late yesterday. I am a little surprised and thought he would stay another year even though it indicates he could be a late first rounder. Not so sure about that assessment either.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Awesome move for him to go to Duke, he got to sit out a year and get eliminated in the first round of the tournament. If he would've stayed at MSU, he could have left for the NBA last year after two years at State.

maroonmania
04-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Awesome move for him to go to Duke, he got to sit out a year and get eliminated in the first round of the tournament. If he would've stayed at MSU, he could have left for the NBA last year after two years at State.

I agree, it really seems stupid to be willing to sit out an entire year just to play one year on a less than stellar Duke team (for Duke). I guess he at least got to experience a game in the NCAA tournament.

bulldawg28
04-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Duke is an NBA pipeline MSU is not.

msstate7
04-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Is Georgia an nba pipeline? KCP went 8th last year

Political Hack
04-19-2014, 09:13 AM
he got to play for Coach K. He and Charlie are both winning.

Political Hack
04-19-2014, 09:13 AM
oh... and he's going to the league.

RossDawg82
04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Serious??? He got to be coached by coach K for 2 years. I would say it was a great move by him actually.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2014, 09:25 AM

The NBA (and NFL, etc.) will find you, no matter where you play. If Jabari Parker had gone to William Carey instead of Duke, he'd still be projected as one of the top picks.

It's pretty sad when our own fans sell us short...

Quaoarsking
04-19-2014, 09:28 AM
I agree, it really seems stupid to be willing to sit out an entire year just to play one year on a less than stellar Duke team (for Duke). I guess he at least got to experience a game in the NCAA tournament.

Yep, it was clearly not worth it. No Duke fan is even going to remember him after a couple years, but had he stayed at MSU for his sophomore and/or junior season and then gone onto the NBA, he'd be an MSU legend for life. He cost himself money (a year's salary assuming he would have gone to the NBA last year), reputation (because no fanbase is going to care about him), and a whole season of playing basketball all to play on a good-but-not-great team for one year that couldn't win a single game in the Tournament. Hope it was worth it...

Coach34
04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Rodney Hood tore his Achilles not long after transferring to Duke- dont forget about that

He would be drafted no matter where he went.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2014, 09:41 AM

This is what people who have no clue about drafts and the evaluation process say. They are the same people that say that, by going to Alabama, you have a better chance of playing in the NFL. Both are myths that are not true.

Duke and Alabama don't "produce" more high draft picks than most others, in fact they "produce" very little. What they do is "recruit" and "sign" more draft picks.

If you don't understand this, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Secondly, awesome! he got to play for coach K! Instead of playing for Coach K, he could have been in the NBA last season.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Rodney Hood tore his Achilles not long after transferring to Duke- dont forget about that

He would be drafted no matter where he went.

By transferring, he still would have had to sit out of year regardless of whether he tore his Achilles or not.

Dog316
04-19-2014, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=Quaoarsking;

It's pretty sad when our own fans sell us short...[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen the enemy, and too often they wear maroon. It get so tired of the woe is us group. Nothing is ever good enough about our university, yet they expect is to win every game. Life must be a terrible burden for them.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 10:13 AM
This is what people who have no clue about drafts and the evaluation process say. They are the same people that say that, by going to Alabama, you have a better chance of playing in the NFL. Both are myths that are not true.

Duke and Alabama don't "produce" more high draft picks than most others, in fact they "produce" very little. What they do is "recruit" and "sign" more draft picks.

If you don't understand this, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Secondly, awesome! he got to play for coach K! Instead of playing for Coach K, he could have been in the NBA last season.

exactly

Dook is an NBA pipeline because they recruit the best of the best and those guys will be NBA players.

Twanny Beckham transferred to Kentucky- which is another NBA pipeline- and guess what? He was still Twanny Beckham with no chance whatsoever at being a starter in college basketball. That NBA pipeline did nothing for him.

Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes, Dee Bost, etc didnt get drafted because they werent quite good enough- not because they went to Miss State

dawgoneyall
04-19-2014, 10:14 AM
But he didn't practice.

Bo Darville
04-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Rodney Hood tore his Achilles not long after transferring to Duke

He didn't tear it (a 9-12 month injury). He hurt it and missed about 2 months of offseason work.

chef dixon
04-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Playing for Duke and Coach K is something almost every basketball player dreams of, and I'm sure it made him a better player. It was a great opportunity and life experience for Rodney, let's not sell it short.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Playing for Duke and Coach K is something almost every basketball player dreams of, and I'm sure it made him a better player. It was a great opportunity and life experience for Rodney, let's not sell it short.

He had an offer from Duke coming out of high school. If playing for Coach K was his lifelong dream, he would have taken it then.

Brad Stevens
04-19-2014, 12:21 PM
He had an offer from Duke coming out of high school. If playing for Coach K was his lifelong dream, he would have taken it then.

Some of y'all need to let it go. We had Rodney. He played for our circus of a team for a year and left. Can you really blame him? He had 2 years of coaching under one of the best all-time coaches (and team USA coach). He had a great year this season, too. Unfortunately 90% of the general population always judges a team on their NCAA tourney finish. Wichita State was undefeated, but people will only remember "they lost to a good team once they finally played one." People will say the same thing about Duke this year, when in reality, they were a very good team and Hood had a lot do do with it. It's easy to say Hood made the wrong decision in hindsight when they lost a first round tourney game, but he didn't have that knowledge when he transferred. He could see our train about to run off the tracks and made a personal decision in his best interest. Wish he would have stayed, but let's stop acting like 6 year old girls.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Unless, you have personally played under coach K and Rick Ray, then your spouting bullshit that you really have no personal clue about.

No doubt, Coach K is a good coach, but for every player that loves him, admires him, and had success under him, I bet there is another that didn't respect him and thought he was a bad coach.

How many of the players that Saban medicaled or that have transferred under him, love him as a coach and consider it some great life experience?

My guess is that most of them wish they had gone to MSU or OM where they could've played more and against the same schedule with the same facilities.

chef dixon
04-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Unless, you have personally played under coach K and Rick Ray, then your spouting bullshit that you really have no personal clue about.

No doubt, Coach K is a good coach, but for every player that loves him, admires him, and had success under him, I bet there is another that didn't respect him and thought he was a bad coach.

How many of the players that Saban medicaled or that have transferred under him, love him as a coach and consider it some great life experience?

My guess is that most of them wish they had gone to MSU or OM where they could've played more and against the same schedule with the same facilities.

What are you talking about? Rodney actually played a ton at Duke. He didn't go there and ride the pine and wish he had gone somewhere else. And guess what, he's going to be a 1st round pick, so so much for he should have stayed here and been the man. I love MSU too, but to not understand why Rodney would choose to transfer to Duke over what we had going on is straight up chugging the koolaid.

bulldawg28
04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Some of you guys are letting the maroon koolaide intoxicant you. Duke absolutely puts more players into the NBA because they recruit and develop talent. If Coach K had the same talent Stans had we'd have 3 times as many MSU basketball players in the NBA. We were loaded in the early 2000's and have nothing to use as a recruiting pitch to athletes. You don't win the SEC West as much as we did without NBA talent. No player development was our problem.

msstate7
04-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Some of you guys are letting the maroon koolaide intoxicant you. Duke absolutely puts more players into the NBA because they recruit and develop talent. If Coach K had the same talent Stans had we'd have 3 times as many MSU basketball players in the NBA. We were loaded in the early 2000's and have nothing to use as a recruiting pitch to athletes. You don't win the SEC West as much as we did without NBA talent. No player development was our problem.
NBA talent will get drafted even if they're undeveloped. Why you think the nba drafted high schoolers for so long?

bulldawg28
04-19-2014, 05:33 PM
NBA talent will get drafted even if they're undeveloped. Why you think the nba drafted high schoolers for so long?

Lol...maybe 20 players were drafted from highschool to the NBA. What about those other guys that need development? Stansbury teams beat opponents with pure athletic ability. If he were half as good developing talent as evaluating/developing it MSU basketball would be a household name.

HailState39110
04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
When I watched Duke this year they reminded me of the late Stans teams. Stood around the 3 point line and jacked up too many 3s