PDA

View Full Version : 5-tool player Hunter Renfroe hitting .250 so far this season

Coach34
04-18-2014, 11:12 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=renfro002dus

with 24 K's in 68 total plate appearances

Surprised he is hitting that high right now. Good for Renfroe

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 11:15 PM
He's going to be in AA next year and he is going to be fine. Renfroe is rated as one of the Padres top 10 prospects right now. He's still raw.

Also Kendall Graveman darn near threw a no- hitter in Lansing.

Coach34
04-18-2014, 11:16 PM
I dont care where he is rated- if he ever hits .250 in AA or above I'll be absolutely shocked

TheRef
04-18-2014, 11:17 PM
He's a 5-tool player?????*************************************** **

esplanade91
04-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Met a guy who played in the minors with Trout and says he's hitting ridiculously higher at the major league level than minor. When it clicks for Renfroe, he's going to be goooooood.

BoomBoom
04-19-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=renfro002dus

with 24 K's in 68 total plate appearances

Surprised he is hitting that high right now. Good for Renfroe

and that's at High-A. i'd imagine the plan is a full year there as it's his first full year, then slot at AA for next year and go from there.

dawgs
04-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Met a guy who played in the minors with Trout and says he's hitting ridiculously higher at the major league level than minor. When it clicks for Renfroe, he's going to be goooooood.

Trout hit over .300 pretty much every stop in minors. Now the power didn't really show until the majors, but he was also a teenager in the minors.

chef dixon
04-19-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't think they draft guys 13th overall and expect them to never hit better than .250 in AA

Coach34
04-19-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't think they draft guys 13th overall and expect them to never hit better than .250 in AA

I'm sure THEY expect him to- I'm saying that I dont. Being the 13th overall pick is no guarantee either- I think only 4 of the last 8 have panned out

dawgs
04-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Learning to limit the Ks is basically the problem 90% of all hitting prospects face. The guys that can do it make it, they guys that can't don't. And it's a bit of a sliding scale. A guy that can hit 30+ bombs can K 25-30% of the time and a team will live with it, and a lot of these guys have good BB rates so their OBP is decent even if their avg isn't.

RattStevens
04-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Hunter's best tool is his, well, never mind.

BoomBoom
04-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Learning to limit the Ks is basically the problem 90% of all hitting prospects face. The guys that can do it make it, they guys that can't don't. And it's a bit of a sliding scale. A guy that can hit 30+ bombs can K 25-30% of the time and a team will live with it, and a lot of these guys have good BB rates so their OBP is decent even if their avg isn't.

ex: Giancarlo Stanton and George Springer.

Dawg61
04-19-2014, 08:17 PM
ex: Giancarlo Stanton and George Springer.

Already tired of the Springer hype. Jason Heyward is one month older than Springer. Think about that for a second.

BoomBoom
04-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Already tired of the Springer hype. Jason Heyward is one month older than Springer. Think about that for a second.

All the more reason why he may burst onto the scene without slowly developing like Heyward. but yeah, despite the Trout ceiling, most likely he's another Venable or Myers. but still a huge fantasy pickup amiright?

dawgs
04-20-2014, 11:04 AM

Maybe if heyward would stay healthy....

And don't take it personally or like a slight to heyward (your post makes it seem like you are), every new prospect gets hyped. Next it'll probably be Javier Baez of the cubs. Then someone else. Heyward was the talk of baseball when he made the club his rookie year.

Dawg61
04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Maybe if heyward would stay healthy....

And don't take it personally or like a slight to heyward (your post makes it seem like you are), every new prospect gets hyped. Next it'll probably be Javier Baez of the cubs. Then someone else. Heyward was the talk of baseball when he made the club his rookie year.

Not a slight towards Heyward at all. Exact opposite actually. I'm applauding Heyward because he's got so much more MLB seasoning over Springer already and they are the same age. Madison Bumgarner is only 24 too and has two WS rings. Something to think about in regards to the Springer hype.

He is a very popular fantasy add right now. Hasn't shown much yet but it's only been three games. He's got legit 30/30 potential. I doubt his numbers are better than an OF4/5 by end of the year cause the lineup around him is brutally bad but I'd still add him in a heartbeat if he hadn't already been drafted and stashed in my leagues.