dawgoneyall
04-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Damn.

msstate7
04-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Join the bench mob

preachermatt83
04-19-2014, 01:40 AM
my message to him is simple: You are struggling right now, it happens... but it is not your fault that you have become a complete liability at the plate, your coach continues to send you out there when it is obvious you are not coming out of this slump any time soon.

Having said that, why is it that Cohen REFUSES to bench him or Detz no matter what? I mean he benched the most talented overall pitcher he had last year in Evan Mitchell but he wont bench Rea. I don't get it

Dawgface
04-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Coaches think players will get through their slump by playing through it. I would sit him for a while.

starkvegasdawg
04-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Hey, Wes. I hear our offensive line needs some depth.

Original48
04-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Hey, Wes. I hear our offensive line needs some depth.
Looks like Wes made the wrong choice when surveying which sport could get him paid.

RattStevens
04-19-2014, 08:44 AM
RattStevens: Why does Cohen continue to play #oveREAted ?

A) Naked pictures
B) Goat pictures
C) Intimate relationship
D) All of the above

#mlbdraft

Todd4State
04-19-2014, 09:32 AM
my message to him is simple: You are struggling right now, it happens... but it is not your fault that you have become a complete liability at the plate, your coach continues to send you out there when it is obvious you are not coming out of this slump any time soon.

Having said that, why is it that Cohen REFUSES to bench him or Detz no matter what? I mean he benched the most talented overall pitcher he had last year in Evan Mitchell but he wont bench Rea. I don't get it

One of them has to play first base. Rea is still our best defensive first baseman- especially when he plays hard. At least one of them will be in the lineup at all times. We had plenty of pitchers that we could throw last year- a bad pitcher will get you beat worse than a slumping first baseman.

Goat Holder
04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Rea simply needs to sit the rest of this weekend, and let's see what happens. Put Detz over there and DH Garner, he deserves a chance. His complete benching is one of the mysteries of this season, along with Henderson. If it doesn't get better, play Rea again.

CadaverDawg
04-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Rea simply needs to sit the rest of this weekend, and let's see what happens. Put Detz over there and DH Garner, he deserves a chance. His complete benching is one of the mysteries of this season, along with Henderson. If it doesn't get better, play Rea again.

Yep. Go back and watch all of our big moments the last 2 seasons, and tell me how many times Henderson was involved in them. Good things happen when Demarcus plays. Why we continue to sit him is a head scratcher. Hell, I'd rather see Henderson at bat than Rea or Detz right now.

dogshiek
04-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Can he kick a field goal? Can he hit a jump shot? Wes is going to get back in his groove soon.

Five-tool Poster
04-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Putting Wes's slump 100% on Cohen. Nice. I don't see why in the majors they send players down to AAA to work out a slump when you can easily fire a coach.

He benched Mitchell because he couldn't throw a strike.

RougeDawg
04-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Rea has never been stellar at the plate. Last year he just had the luxury of hitting behind one of the best hitters in college baseball and always having one of the best lead off hitters on base in front of him. Pitchers aren't going to throw him hard in, soft away with runners on base. If some of you would take off the maroon glasses, and look at his AB's with no one on base and 1 or more outs, pitchers pitched him the same way last year. His hands fly away from his body, and his hips are disconnected with his upper body. You beat those hitters hard in (because hands flying over plate make it extremely difficult to hit an inside fastball) and you throw soft away because of contacting made its weak ( same reason as hands flying away). Y'all keep missing the Forrest for the trees. It's holarious to watch the people on here who think they know baseball. You may know situations, but I've yet to see anyone on here know situational as mechanical baseball as a whole. It takes knowledge of both to make the complete baseball person and player. You could know every situational sequence ever imaginable, but if your mechanics suck, you will suck. And vice versa.

Five-tool Poster
04-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Do you think you just stated something ground breaking by saying Wes's mechanics suck?

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2014, 11:04 AM
One of them has to play first base. Rea is still our best defensive first baseman- especially when he plays hard. At least one of them will be in the lineup at all times. We had plenty of pitchers that we could throw last year- a bad pitcher will get you beat worse than a slumping first baseman.

Here's my thing: 1B isn't a premium defensive position. It's a position, along with LF, where you put a good hitter to hide him defensively in order to get him into the lineup. I don't give a damn if he's an MLB Gold Glove player defensively, Rea needs to hit to stay in the lineup. If he's not going to hit, then put Detz or Garner at 1B, because Garner's non-con performance says he's one of our best hitters this season. Let him play for a couple weeks and see if he can get his groove at the plate. Defense just isn't that important at 1B. I think Rea still playing has much more to do with Cohen being reluctant to bench the Cap'n.

preachermatt83
04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Here's my thing: 1B isn't a premium defensive position. It's a position, along with LF, where you put a good hitter to hide him defensively in order to get him into the lineup. I don't give a damn if he's an MLB Gold Glove player defensively, Rea needs to hit to stay in the lineup. If he's not going to hit, then put Detz or Garner at 1B, because Garner's non-con performance says he's one of our best hitters this season. Let him play for a couple weeks and see if he can get his groove at the plate. Defense just isn't that important at 1B. I think Rea still playing has much more to do with Cohen being reluctant to bench the Cap'n.

agreed. You are on a roll today WMD!

sandjunky
04-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Make his ass eat those 200 calorie lean cuisines 4x per day until he gets hungry enough to play; when he shows you he wants and has earned the steak and potato then reward his ass...

BulldogBear
04-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Yep. Go back and watch all of our big moments the last 2 seasons, and tell me how many times Henderson was involved in them. Good things happen when Demarcus plays. Why we continue to sit him is a head scratcher. Hell, I'd rather see Henderson at bat than Rea or Detz right now.

Can't understand this either. Not one bit.

Did he piss in a coach's cup or something?***

Todd4State
04-19-2014, 11:59 AM

You're right about first base not being a premium position defensively, but I'm pretty sure Cohen has a good reason for playing Detz there over Garner. It's also apples and oranges to compare not playing your first baseman to not pitching a pitcher that is wild and has control issues which is what I was responding to.

The bottom line is as far as first base our options are:

1. Rea
2. Detz
3. Garner- who hasn't played a game at first base in college during the regular season
4. Rooker who is redshirting
5. Dylan Ingram- who is redshirting

Rea is one of our two best options even when he is struggling.

Todd4State
04-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Can't understand this either. Not one bit.

Did he piss in a coach's cup or something?***

Cohen has pulled Rea during the game the past two games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Detz at first and then Demarcus at DH if Rea continues to struggle.

drunkernhelldawg
04-19-2014, 12:19 PM
What is the power outlook in the lineup without Rea? Even worse.

msstate7
04-19-2014, 12:49 PM
What is the power outlook in the lineup without Rea? Even worse.

What's been the power output with rea in the lineup?

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2014, 03:41 PM
What's been the power output with rea in the lineup?

Exactly. And Garner has shown some power potential, which is why I want to find a way to get his bat into the lineup. If that means Detz at 1B, so be it. But Garner earned an opportunity to hit by being one of our best hitters in the non-con portion of the schedule.

The problem now is that he's essentially ridden the pine for the last month, other than an occasional PH appearance. He's totally lost his groove. And we're essentially out of mid-week games to give him some extra tune-up ABs. So we'd have to suffer for a while as he works to get his timing back after sitting for so long. Cohen has essentially totally screwed the pooch with Garner for this season. It really pisses me off.

Todd4State
04-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Exactly. And Garner has shown some power potential, which is why I want to find a way to get his bat into the lineup. If that means Detz at 1B, so be it. But Garner earned an opportunity to hit by being one of our best hitters in the non-con portion of the schedule.

The problem now is that he's essentially ridden the pine for the last month, other than an occasional PH appearance. He's totally lost his groove. And we're essentially out of mid-week games to give him some extra tune-up ABs. So we'd have to suffer for a while as he works to get his timing back after sitting for so long. Cohen has essentially totally screwed the pooch with Garner for this season. It really pisses me off.

I disagree. Garner has yet to get a hit in SEC play. You can say it's because he's out of his groove- but you have to make the most of your opportunities when they present themselves. Like Cody Brown. He smokes a double against Ole Miss to start a rally and now he is playing. Garner's lack of a position defensively also hurts him as far as getting him into a game.