PDA

View Full Version : Mizzu Game 1

Pages : 1 [2]

dawgoneyall
04-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Did I just hear Harry Carry call the final out?

MarketingBully01
Nice! Great win! Dogs win in extra innings now with Mitchell going tomorrow we should win this series.

Esmerelda Villalobos
I must give Holder props. He pitched well tonight.

Quaoarsking
"Bad" teams don't go .500 in elite conferences. Granted, anywhere from 8-22 to 22-8 is still technically possible, but judging by the teams on our schedule so far, and the teams remaining, there's no reason to think we won't finish 15-15 or so.

godlluB
04-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Never in doubt. :-/

Bully13
04-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Had some 'bout a month back. Usually go for mint choc chip so I'd forgotten how good butter pecan can be if it's done right.

hard to 17 up ice cream when it has pecans in it. I hope I can restrain myself to not go fill my bowl up again.. my constitution will be full blown in the a.m.

tcdog70
04-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Thank You Holder, great job.

Coach34
04-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Hell of an effort by Holder

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 09:57 PM
maybe Collins if he develops but nobody else.

This. And Humphreys.

That's part of our problem- our best hitting prospects are either freshmen or still in high school.

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Hell of an effort by Holder

Indeed.

berr6728
04-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Dapperdog I always post my name-phone #-my email address and where I sit at DNF, in case anyone wants to stop by and visit. I travel 5 hours every weekend to watch my beloved dogs play baseball. I am not advocating any changes inside our staff but just saying I think we can do better if Cohen would settle on a starting lineup much earlier each year. I don't always agree with things he does but I support him anyway. I go to CWS every year as well. This coming year will be my 18 straight year to go, whether my dogs go or not. I am hoping we right the ship and make it back this year. A consistent winner in my book is a coach who is every year in the top 5 in SEC standings. OOC games to me should be all cup cakes like LSU and other SEC schools schedule so they can get a big win over with few loses and get in top 16 each year so they will have opportunity to get in a Region.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-18-2014, 09:58 PM
This. And Humphreys.

That's part of our problem- our best hitting prospects are either freshmen or still in high school.

I was going to say Hump but Im not sure he will ever defend enough to make the bigs. Of course, if he strokes like he does in practice, he will find a squad. We got some hitters coming. Im actually more worried about our pitching.

Dawg61
04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
he wont be a pro. he has a 92 flat fastball. a plus curve ball. that is it. If he had a 3rd pitch, maybe. He doesn't have great stuff. Never really has. Him and Rea have no shot at the bigs. Lindgren is our only sure fire big leaguer on the team. Collins will be there eventually. We simply aren't that good. We don't have any "ballplayers" besides Ross.

After seeing Papelbon develop a 99 mph fastball and save 300 games in MLB I'll never put it past anyone once they get in the minors and learn better mechanics/technique. Holder at 92 straight will get rocked but Holder at 96 with movement can make a nice living.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Dapperdog I always post my name-phone #-my email address and where I sit at DNF, in case anyone wants to stop by and visit. I travel 5 hours every weekend to watch my beloved dogs play baseball. I am not advocating any changes inside our staff but just saying I think we can do better if Cohen would settle on a starting lineup much earlier each year. I don't always agree with things he does but I support him anyway. I go to CWS every year as well. This coming year will be my 18 straight year to go, whether my dogs go or not. I am hoping we right the ship and make it back this year. A consistent winner in my book is a coach who is every year in the top 5 in SEC standings. OOC games to me should be all cup cakes like LSU and other SEC schools schedule so they can get a big win over with few loses and get in top 16 each year so they will have opportunity to get in a Region.

um, cupcakes don't get you in the top 16. IT is better to go 10-10 vs top 100 than 20-0 vs MVSU.

I appreciate you posting and being a baseball fan but....Im not sure, well, nevermind.

Bully13
"Bad" teams don't go .500 in elite conferences. Granted, anywhere from 8-22 to 22-8 is still technically possible, but judging by the teams on our schedule so far, and the teams remaining, there's no reason to think we won't finish 15-15 or so.

what a piss poor expectation level for a MSU baseball program.

Todd4State
I look at our team and I dont see an overly talented bunch to be honest...I think our talent is overrated more than we are underachieving

We have some guys that need to be grinders, blue collar whatever you want to call them. Not very many, if any of them are going to be in MLB. BUT they can still be good college players if they bust their ass.

DapperDawg
04-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Not sure why you're replying to me....... :confused:

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-18-2014, 10:02 PM
paps was usually 94 in college. holder sticks around 91.

paps changed his delivery and developed the nasty that schilling showed him in the minors.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-18-2014, 10:03 PM

where have you been since 1990?

Quaoarsking
04-18-2014, 10:04 PM

I expect us to go .500 in the SEC in bad years. This is a bad year for MSU and we'll still be .500 in conference.

There are only a couple SEC teams that can expect that and we're one. Nobody goes 20-10 every year.

Dawg61
04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
paps was usually 94 in college. holder sticks around 91.

paps changed his delivery and developed the nasty that schilling showed him in the minors.

http://youtu.be/9ALOI63X_CE

Coach34
04-18-2014, 10:07 PM

I think QKing has the same expectation I do for State baseball:

Host a regional
Make a Super and see what happens

We obviously may fall short of that first one- but the 2nd one is still in play

dickiedawg
I still expect to win 17-18 conference games. 15-15 would be a disappointing finish, as weak as our second half schedule is.

Esmerelda Villalobos

well done

LC Dawg
04-18-2014, 10:11 PM
We not be a great team but we just gutted out a win on the road in extra innings so props to our guys tonight.

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 10:12 PM

You don't want to overschedule, but I think most of our fans for baseball like to see at least one weekend of competitive teams. Like what we did in Arizona this year. I think playing in pre-SEC tournaments like the one in Houston, Los Angeles, and New Orleans are going to be good for our program and fun for our alumni. The thing that some of our irrational at times fans have to understand about playing in those tournaments is that we are not going to go 24-0 OOC doing that. It's the trade off- but when you play Baylor, UCLA, and USC we're going to lose a few.

I disagree about the lineup. We have to see what our players can do. If we stayed with the same lineup, we would have never found out what Detz could do last year, and we would have never found out about Heck this year. We have to get our players ready to play- this year and in the future. Letting guys play every day isn't as beneficial. Sure, we may have lost to Memphis, but when it all comes out in the wash we win more games overall because we are able to figure out who the BEST players are.

Hitters are going to go into slumps, guys are going to get hot, and you have to take advantage of that. MLB teams don't have the same lineups every day- why should we expect to have the exact same lineup every day? If it was good to have the same lineup every day, they would do it- BUT they don't.

BulldogBear
04-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Awww, the next line should be included

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 10:15 PM

Meh. Welcome to the SEC. You can go 15-15 in the SEC and still have a very legit chance to win the National Championship. Winning a NC is really all I care about. We're actually built pretty well for the postseason. Deep pitching staff, play good defense. That will keep in games and at the very least give you a chance.

Dawg61
04-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Awww, the next line should be included

Not the best quality but I agree so here goes

http://youtu.be/DTYCzVyemfU

BulldogBear
04-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Not the best quality but I agree so here goes

http://youtu.be/DTYCzVyemfU

Mah! Mah! Mah! That's the one!

Bucky Dog
04-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Meh. Welcome to the SEC. You can go 15-15 in the SEC and still have a very legit chance to win the National Championship. Winning a NC is really all I care about. We're actually built pretty well for the postseason. Deep pitching staff, play good defense. That will keep in games and at the very least give you a chance.

I think everyone should realize that as nice as it would be to win an SEC championship, all that matters is the post season, kind of like basketball. Granted that it makes your chances much greater at getting to Omaha if you are a national seed and host. Like I said earlier we were 16-14 last year. Were we a bit fortunate? Probably. I agree we SHOULD be expecting better than just north of .500 in SEC every year but let's not melt down when we are f we are still making the tourney.

Todd4State
04-18-2014, 11:13 PM
I think everyone should realize that as nice as it would be to win an SEC championship, all that matters is the post season, kind of like basketball. Granted that it makes your chances much greater at getting to Omaha if you are a national seed and host. Like I said earlier we were 16-14 last year. Were we a bit fortunate? Probably. I agree we SHOULD be expecting better than just north of .500 in SEC every year but let's not melt down when we are f we are still making the tourney.

You nailed it. Winning in SEC play simply makes our path easier.

My hope right now is that we pull a 2007. Win on the road somewhere and then hopefully host a SR because another 2 seed won in the opposite bracket.

maroonmania
04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

I disagree. Post-season matters the most but its not all that matters. SEC titles in baseball are still great achievements especially with the strength of the conference. I would certainly take an SEC regular season championship over anything other than being among the last 8 standing in Omaha.

RougeDawg
04-19-2014, 10:39 AM
We not be a great team but we just gutted out a win on the road in extra innings so props to our guys tonight.

Missouri is ****ing horrible. Period. If we were worth a **** we could beat them on the road or on the god damn moon, but we barely did. Let that sink in. All of you.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Missouri is ****ing horrible. Period. If we were worth a **** we could beat them on the road or on the god damn moon, but we barely did. Let that sink in. All of you.

Missouri won their series with #24 ranked Kentucky last weekend. Let that sink in

LC Dawg
04-19-2014, 11:02 AM

I think I'll wait and see what happens today and tomorrow before I let it sink in.

UMCDawg16
04-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Overreact much? Lol

preachermatt83
04-19-2014, 11:07 AM
mizzou is not a very good baseball team, arguing that they are would make one look dumb. With that said, the bottom line is we are just simply not that good of a baseball team either. Many of us have been saying that since the Holy Cross series. Our only hope is that somehow we get on a hot streak and start hitting the ball better situationally.

BulldogBear
04-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Each year plenty of freaking awesome teams (which we're not) still have several close wins over "crap" teams. Baseball is a game where W-L is a lot more indicative than margin of victory.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Nobody is saying Missouri is good- but as evidenced by them beating Kentucky last weekend and Auburn in another series- they are capable.

Will James
04-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Each year plenty of freaking awesome teams (which we're not) still have several close wins over "crap" teams. Baseball is a game where W-L is a lot more indicative than margin of victory.

Run differential actually tells a lot.

BulldogBear
04-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Run differential actually tells a lot.

In certain circumstances, yes, but for example:

I'm just making up some typical opponents for a fortnight period here:

USM (trustmark) W9-4
@Arkansas L2-4
@Arkansas W12-3
@Arkansas W10-2
South Alabama L3-5
Valley W19-1
Tennessee W7-0
Tennessee W14-4
Tennessee L1-3

Record for period: 6-3, 4-2 SEC (This is decent team with some good offense)

But this is a better team:

USM (trustmark) W8-6
@Arkansas W4-2
@Arkansas W9-8
@Arkansas W5-4 (12)
South Alabama L1-2 (11)
Valley W12-6
Tennessee W6-5
Tennessee W4-3
Tennessee W7-5

Record for period: 8-1, 6-0 SEC (I'll take this any day over the above regardless of run differential AND SO WILL THE SELECTION COMMITTEE)

I seen it dawg
04-19-2014, 01:51 PM
You've done it now bulldogbear.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Team 2 had a better week, but Team 1 is probably going to be better going forward. Run differential has more predictive power than W-L record.

Will James
04-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Team 2 had a better week, but Team 1 is probably going to be better going forward. Run differential has more predictive power than W-L record.

Especially when looking at just the SEC games. Here's the current run differentials entering this weekend. This will be way more relevant at the end of the year

Team
RS
R
R+-

Ole Miss

Kentucky

Alabama

Texas A&M

Arkansas

LSU

Georgia

USCe