PDA

View Full Version : Athlon ranks 2014 SEC QB's. Athlon employs Ole Miss grads

Lloyd Christmas
04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Link (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-quarterbacks-2014)

They try and gain a little respect back by saying Dak could move up. However, they lose all credibility with the #2 spot.

ETA: It also pisses me off when idiots like these use our Croom logo, when we've had the new one for about 6 years.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 01:27 PM
they probably got the LSU starting QB wrong too. bush league.

smootness
04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
This is not a surprise. Publications like this do these rankings almost entirely on what you've done in the past, and they will generally place a guy who has played, even if he hasn't played well, over someone who hasn't played. They don't go out on too many limbs. Expect to see more of this from all the other publications. Think about it, outside of Marshall and Wallace, who in the SEC returns as the guy, who has been a starter for a full year or more?

I completely agree on the logo.

blacklistedbully
04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
I've said it before and will say it again. Those expecting Capt Bubble Screen to be much improved over last year due to "arm-strength" are completely discounting the fact that when he was last healthy enough to throw the ball downfield, he threw 17 INTs against 22 TDs. Even with all the high % bubble screens he threw last year he managed 10 INTs against 18 TDs, and we know first hand it should have been at least 12 or 13 INTs.

Though it's possible he could improve with a healthy arm, it seems to me more likely he will go back to throwing more INTs like he did in 2012. He makes bad decisions and tries too often to force a ball into coverage, relying on a Donte Moncrief to bail him out by going up and getting the ball.

It might be easy to think an additional year under his belt will make the difference, but even there I;d discount it some, as that year was with a shoulder problem that forced him to dink & dunk a ton, hardly something that gets you ready to "exploit the strong arm" the following year. At least, not as much as I suspect some want to believe.

I think we're more likely to see a return to a 2012-type performance, possibly worse due to the loss of Moncrief, and the fact that Freeze's offense is another year exposed to SEC defenses.

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm of the opinion that says, "show me" before I'll believe the hype. I think Prescott has the makings of a great one, and he certainly got better as the year went on and the Egg Bowl performance was legendary. But we've all seen that before with young MSU QBs. I've seen the curse with promising QBs too many times to count. So I have to wait and see. Therefore, for this year, I see no reason with the rankings the way they are.

Bo Wallace is a pretty good QB, no matter what our fans want to think. Without him, I doubt Ole Miss would have gone bowling the last two years. I KNOW they wouldn't have in 2012.

blacklistedbully
04-18-2014, 01:41 PM
That Freeze offense that continues to get love got stoned versus Bama & MSU, and didn't fare that well versus Mizzou. Looks like regression to me. And now other teams can look to what we did, what Bama did and what Mizzou did to shut them down.

Unless Freeze is able to come up with some new wrinkles, I see his offense continuing a trend of diminishing returns.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm of the opinion that says, "show me" before I'll believe the hype. I think Prescott has the makings of a great one, and he certainly got better as the year went on and the Egg Bowl performance was legendary. But we've all seen that before with young MSU QBs. I've seen the curse with promising QBs too many times to count. So I have to wait and see. Therefore, for this year, I see no reason with the rankings the way they are.

Bo Wallace is a pretty good QB, no matter what our fans want to think. Without him, I doubt Ole Miss would have gone bowling the last two years. I KNOW they wouldn't have in 2012.

agree. 1 SEC win as a starter right now. That numbers ultimately the only one that matters. I expect it to go up a lot this year though.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-18-2014, 02:09 PM
From what I've noticed about Athlon and a lot of report sites (espn), they base everything off stats and do not evaluate players. Kind of reminds me of recruiting sites

Coach34
04-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Prescott's QBR was in the top 10 in the nation last year. Bo Dirt was on down the list.

SignalToNoise
04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
DID YOU KNOW? The majority of EliteDawgs posters can through the ball farther than Bo Wallace.

dawgs
04-18-2014, 04:00 PM
From what I've noticed about Athlon and a lot of report sites (espn), they base everything off stats and do not evaluate players. Kind of reminds me of recruiting sites

most recruiting sites don't give a shit about HS stats. sure most of the highest rated players have great stats because they are the best players. but the recruiting sites use camp evaluations and offers to rate guys.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Magazine don't scout, they just put a list together on who has done what so they can sell magazines.

I care much more about Dak being #1 on their list going into next year than I do about where he is now.

BiscuitEater
04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Unless Freeze is able to come up with some new wrinkles, I see his offense continuing a trend of diminishing returns.

that he is revamping the entire offense system including changing the signals from the sideline after the Tide stole their offensive signals costing them that game. I kid you not. Read it myself.

I would rather have both the bears and bo ranked considerably higher than State and Dak. It matters little how you are ranked in the summer... matters how you perform and finish in the fall.

We always seem to do better with a chip on our shoulder ... see baseball team if you need an example.

BossDawg
04-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Yet somehow OM is gonna "shake up the West" as they're poised to do every year. Damn, I guess it is sour grapes, but I just don't understand how in the hell OM always gets this hype.

Dawg61
04-18-2014, 05:05 PM
How do you "through the ball"? Is that like putting through the ball? Grammar Nazi's are fun right? Or is it wright? I'd normally skip over the opportunity to be a dick here/hear but you were a ****ing asshat last week so wear/where it bro.

MarketingBully01
04-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Dak Preskott is the most talented most complete QB we have ever had at MSU bar none and even has the "it" factor. He will outshine Bo Wallace this year and in my opinion is much better then Nick Marshall. We shall see soon enough but I think we are in for a special season in 2014 and he is a big reason for my optimism.

Dawgface
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Bo 2? What a joke.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 06:44 PM
that he is revamping the entire offense system including changing the signals from the sideline after the Tide stole their offensive signals costing them that game. I kid you not. Read it myself.

I laughed.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Dak Preskott is the most talented most complete QB we have ever had at MSU bar none and even has the "it" factor. He will outshine Bo Wallace this year and in my opinion is much better then Nick Marshall. We shall see soon enough but I think we are in for a special season in 2014 and he is a big reason for my optimism.

I'll agree he by far has "it" more than anyone who's ever taken a snap at MSU, but we've had more talented guys IMO. I would even mention Fant. I think he was drastically underrated in terms of his overall talent. He just couldn't keep grass stains off his jersey.

In the end though, "it" and W's matter the most and I think Dak can leave an all time leader in both of those categories.

dawgoneyall
04-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Lost me when they said Dak came off the bench. Ignoring that he went in the game despite being injured.

blacklistedbully
04-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Man, I love me some Dak, and he may well wind up being the best ever, but let's not forget about a certain John Bond. That dude most definitely had, "it" before he got the crap beat outta him running that triple option. He held a number of SEC and even a national record for a long, long time, eventually eclipsed by, I believe Matt Jones and Tim Tebow.

dogshiek
04-19-2014, 10:46 AM
We always do better as under DAWGS. Dak is going to rise to the top that list by the end of the season.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Man, I love me some Dak, and he may well wind up being the best ever, but let's not forget about a certain John Bond. That dude most definitely had, "it" before he got the crap beat outta him running that triple option. He held a number of SEC and even a national record for a long, long time, eventually eclipsed by, I believe Matt Jones and Tim Tebow.

Dak put up better numbers last season than in any season Bond ever had

Political Hack
04-19-2014, 11:16 AM
that kid from Hawaii put up good numbers too. Stats are used way too much IMO. Dak and Bond are pretty similar talent wise. Wins will tell the tale.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 11:22 AM
that kid from Hawaii put up good numbers too. Stats are used way too much IMO. Dak and Bond are pretty similar talent wise. Wins will tell the tale.

Agree that it comes down to winning but the correct QB should get credit when multiple QB's play in a game. Dak didn't start the Egg Bowl- but we won it because of his performance in the 4th.

Same as people trying to give Madkin credit for so e of those 1999 wins simply because he started the game. We won 3 of those games specifically because we took Madkin out and put Wyatt in. You don't give someone credit just because they started but had to be taken out so the team could win

Political Hack
04-19-2014, 11:28 AM
true

blacklistedbully
04-19-2014, 11:49 AM
From an old ESPN article:

John Bond was one of the most prolific running quarterbacks in the history of the SEC while playing in Emory Bellard's wingbone offense at Mississippi State from 1980-83.

Bond, who started from the time he was a true freshman, carried the ball 572 times during his career, an astounding number of carries for a quarterback in any era. It's one of those records that looked like it would never be broken. He was the SEC's all-time leading rusher as a quarterback with 2,280 yards until Arkansas' Matt Jones (2,535 yards) passed him earlier this decade.

Having not played quarterback until his senior season of high school in Valdosta, Ga., Bond fit perfectly into Bellard's wingbone, which is essentially what Air Force is running today. He was 200-plus pounds, tough and could run. He once had an 87-yard run against Auburn in 1982 and threw two 80-yard passes that same season, although the Bulldogs didn't throw it much in those days.

As a senior, Bond rushed for 13 touchdowns, which is still tied for second most in a season for an SEC quarterback.

The Bulldogs also beat LSU all four of Bond's seasons, once when the Tigers were ranked in the Top 10, and beat Miami and Jim Kelly in back-to-back seasons in 1980 and 1981.

Coach, keep in mind JB ran a Wishbone offense that had him running deliberately into the teeth of a packed in defense. QB's in spread offenses typically don't take the steady beating those guys did in the wishbone and its derivatives.

Again, I do love Dak, and wouldn't be surprised to see him leave State as one of the best ever. But Bond most definitely had, "it", and Brahma-bull balls running the way he did against those monster SEC defenses of the day. Let's also not forget that JB came in as a freshman, with only 1-year of high school ball as a QB under his belt, and dominated in the SEC.

Lastly, don't discount the effect of years of progress. Athletes in most every sport progress, get bigger, faster, etc. Prior to 1954, people wondered if it was even possible to run a sub-4-minute mile. Now we're wondering if a woman will ever do it.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 12:39 PM
To date:

Dakota has 166 carries for 948 yards...his 829 yards this past season were the most by any QB in State history. Dakota also rushed for 13 TD's- as Bond did his Sr year.

I know the Wishbone offense better than most. My father studied it from Bear Bryant and his staff and then from Emory Bellard and his staff at State. I played in the system and ran it a little myself as a coach. Nothing a Wishbone QB does is any different from what we are doing now with Prescott and Relf. Those guys hit it up inside and run right at the teeth of the defense just as the Wishbone QB's did.

I loved Bond and he was outstanding. I enjoyed talking to him at coaching clinics about the Wishbone. He would have been very good in this type of offense. But Prescott is just a step above. He should easily surpass Bond's 4 year number and may end up taking down Jones' 2500 yards rushing before its all said and done.

blacklistedbully
04-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Coach, I respect your knowledge of football. That said, I don't agree that teh QB takes as much of a beating in a Spread as they do in a Wingbone or Wishbone. The defenses are all packed-in playing the run more. The Spread is called a Spread quite literally because it spreads the defense out in an effort to create space for playmakers.

The offense JB ran was line 'em up and knock the living shit out of 'em every play. JB got hit hard, and straight on on damn-near every play. A lot of Dak's hits are in the open field, and often more of a glancing blow as compared to the straight up shots JB took.

JB set SEC records that stood for 2 decades. Dak is great, but he might not even lead the SEC this year in rushing for a QB. I hope he does, and think he is capable.

I'm just trying to point out it needs to be taken in context when comparing QBs of different eras.

BeastMan
04-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Link (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-quarterbacks-2014)

They try and gain a little respect back by saying Dak could move up. However, they lose all credibility with the #2 spot.

ETA: It also pisses me off when idiots like these use our Croom logo, when we've had the new one for about 6 years.

Your mistake was reading a dumb national guy instead of 3rdAnd57. I did mine on Monday. It's 10x better
http://3rdand57.com/ranking-the-returning-sec-qbs/

Only problem with mine was that Joeckel at A&M hadn't transferred yet but I'd still plug whoever A&M QB in that spot.

Coach34
04-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Coach, I respect your knowledge of football. That said, I don't agree that teh QB takes as much of a beating in a Spread as they do in a Wingbone or Wishbone. The defenses are all packed-in playing the run more. The Spread is called a Spread quite literally because it spreads the defense out in an effort to create space for playmakers.

The offense JB ran was line 'em up and knock the living shit out of 'em every play. JB got hit hard, and straight on on damn-near every play. A lot of Dak's hits are in the open field, and often more of a glancing blow as compared to the straight up shots JB took.

JB set SEC records that stood for 2 decades. Dak is great, but he might not even lead the SEC this year in rushing for a QB. I hope he does, and think he is capable.

I'm just trying to point out it needs to be taken in context when comparing QBs of different eras.

Again, let me point out that in Dak's 1st season of significant playing time- he rushed for more yards than Bond did in any season.

Watch our offense- we will fake the ball to the RB or Slot heading to the outside, and the QB will keep the ball straight up the gut. If that is not running into the teeth of the defense I dont know what is.

Wishbone QB's were running the veer- which is predicated on blocking down- forcing the edge defender to take dive. Then the linemen getting to the 2nd level to cut off the LB's and giving the QB or RB an alley to get into. Other than the QB sneak, there is no Wishbone play that calls for the QB to run straight into the teeth of the D.

Both offenses require a durable QB that is for sure.

blacklistedbully
04-19-2014, 01:31 PM
From the 2009 ESPN article about JB. John was talking about Tebow:

"I still wince when I watch Tim take all those shots. I know I still feel every one of mine," said Bond, who was the SEC's all-time leading rusher as a quarterback with 2,280 yards until Arkansas' Matt Jones (2,535 yards) passed him earlier this decade.

Tebow is likely to pass them both this season. Heading into Saturday's game against Troy, he has 2,038 career rushing yards on 477 carries.

"At least Tim's got some better angles than I did. He's got them spread out a little more," Bond said. "We'd pile them all up in there and try to run it. Emory always said, 'If somebody's on you and somebody's on the pitch man, then you keep it.'

"It made sense, but damn did it hurt."

Joe Schmedlap
04-19-2014, 01:35 PM
John Bond was a master at reading the triple option and was tough as nails. Dak has not shown me that ability level to run the option. In fact, Dak hasn't shown me that he can read the option as well as Relf could. What Dak has in spades over Bond and Relf is the ability to throw the football. Different guys in different eras, but I am thinking that Dakota Prescott is the best dual threat QB we've had at State since Don Smith. Bond is probably still my favorite Bulldog QB in the modern era, but I am hoping Dak will be the all time greatest MSU Bulldog QB by the time he graduates. If he remains healthy, I think that will indeed be the case.