PDA

View Full Version : So the bears can't afford their stadium expansion fueled by jealousy....

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/hughkellenberger/2014/04/17/ole-miss-endzone-financing/7819711/

Two things:

- A legit LOL to them

- Why can't they just use some of this endless pot of money that engine says everybody will have due to the SEC Network? Same pile of coin that we'll be able to use for our baseball stadium?

Coach34
04-18-2014, 09:54 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/hughkellenberger/2014/04/17/ole-miss-endzone-financing/7819711/

Two things:

- A legit LOL to them

- Why can't they just use some of this endless pot of money that engine says everybody will have due to the SEC Network? Same pile of coin that we'll be able to use for our baseball stadium?

Our baseball stadium money is coming from private donors and has already been promised....has nothing to do with SEC money

Now Engie is right in that the SEC money is going to allow us to do things we have never done before. Thats for sure.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
I just find it funny that Ole Miss is considering expanding a stadium that they don't come close to filling unless the opposing team brings 20,000 people.

EAVdog
04-18-2014, 10:08 AM
They were never going to do the North End Zone as quick as the press release made it out. The facilities were the North Endzone have to be relocated.

This wouldn't be news if the fans etc... didn't make it out like they were going to bowl in their stadium immediately. And it isn't going to be many seats at all.

CadaverDawg
04-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I just find it funny that Ole Miss is considering expanding a stadium that they don't come close to filling unless the opposing team brings 20,000 people.

Shows how worried they are about MSU.

#WeDontCareAboutTheRivalry

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Oh it's pathetic alright. No feasibility at all. They just can't take it. Imagine what will happen if we win 9 or 10 games this year (including them at their place) then finish with a better crootin class? That might be enough to push them over the edge like we've never seen before.

In true Miss Stake fashion, we'll lose our coaching staff or something to kill the buzz.

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Why can't Ole Miss do the same?

I think you all are overestimating this SEC $$. Just my opinion.

jimbo352
04-18-2014, 10:23 AM

Two things:

- A legit LOL to them

What do you mean they can't afford it? My brother is a Vaught Society member, and he told me they didn't originally plan to start the stadium part of the expansion until 2015... The basketball stadium was always first priority. If they are even considering 2014, that would mean they're ahead of schedule as far as donations are concerned. He also told me that the endzone expansion would only add around 5k seats, 8k at the most. That's not much of an expansion. Sounds like they're just trying to make the stadium more aesthetically pleasing.

Personally, I don't think there's much they can do to fix that mix&matched disaster of a stadium. Every single side of that stadium is different, it would be tough to pull it all together IMO.

edit to add.. some of their fans are retarded, and thought the stadium would be done quickly, but that's just not possible with them having to raise the money for the basketball arena first,.

MadDawg
04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Imagine what will happen if we win 9 or 10 games this year (including them at their place) then finish with a better crootin class? That might be enough to push them over the edge like we've never seen before.

There will be more P.I.'s in Mississippi than there are Mexican restaurants.

Coach34
04-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Why can't Ole Miss do the same?

I think you all are overestimating this SEC $$. Just my opinion.

because apparently their boosters arent stepping up like the book farmers are...as far as the SEC money- it's not in place yet. Until it starts coming in- schools cant spend it

maroonmania
04-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Hey, they fill the Grove, isn't that all that matters?

jimbo352
04-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Hey, they fill the Grove, isn't that all that matters?

They could put a big sign on the other side of the grove that says, "North stadium entrance." then they claim 100,000 people come to their games

BeastMan
04-18-2014, 10:44 AM
I think 99% of reasonable people knew what the deal was when Bjork made the initial expansion announcement. The basketball arena was priority 1A but he would have had trouble raising that cash if he didn't dangle the football stadium carrot out in front.

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 10:54 AM
The only way they can get anybody to donate to the basketball arena was to tie it to football somehow. They aren't considering 2014, that's a joke. They don't have the demand for this stadium increase. So they're having to squeeze alumni for more money, because they know better than to take out loans that can't be repaid. It wasn't a feasible decision. It was done simply to keep up with us.

Their egos are such that they can't live with being beneath us. Look at our baseball stadiums. We have all the history/tradition but as of 2009 or whenever they have a bigger baseball stadium per se. It's not bothering us that much. We obviously are looking into expanding, but I think Stricklin wants to make sure it's feasible before we do. Ole Miss didn't. They jumped based on emotion and money they didn't have, and now they've hit a roadblock.

Oh, they'll make it happen if they get desperate with bad loans or whatever

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
their fan base is slowly fading. The fans they do have are loud and make their presence known, but we've passed them by far when it comes to sheer numbers. If they're smart they'll embrace a smaller atmosphere that's rowdy and right on top of the action. There's a nostalgia about playing big time games in small venues. Works for Duke. Worked for the Hoosiers too.

in all honesty, the biggest problem OM has had over the last couple of decades is that they're fighting who they are. Identity crisis, check. Want a big stadium, but can't fill it and don't need it, check. Want to be the flagship but have fewer fans and get continuously stomped by the real rival, check. Falsely claim who the real rival is, check. Preach religion only to see our players in constant trouble, check.

jimbo352
04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
The only way they can get anybody to donate to the basketball arena was to tie it to football somehow. They aren't considering 2014, that's a joke. They don't have the demand for this stadium increase. So they're having to squeeze alumni for more money, because they know better than to take out loans that can't be repaid. It wasn't a feasible decision. It was done simply to keep up with us.

Their egos are such that they can't live with being beneath us. Look at our baseball stadiums. We have all the history/tradition but as of 2009 or whenever they have a bigger baseball stadium per se. It's not bothering us that much. We obviously are looking into expanding, but I think Stricklin wants to make sure it's feasible before we do. Ole Miss didn't. They jumped based on emotion and money they didn't have, and now they've hit a roadblock.

Oh, they'll make it happen if they get desperate with bad loans or whatever

We don't have the demand either... We're in Mississippi, there shouldn't be 2 60,000+ stadiums in this state. Everyone fills the stadium when you play the big boys, but real demand is your attendance for non-conference games, or kentucky/vandy... We did a good job riding the wave of success Mullen brought to MSU... We were able to raise money and expand because of the excitement. It's the key to success when handling facility upgrades.

As far as football is concerned, Rule #1 is that you don't wait until you have demand, before you start working on supply... Both TSUN and us have always expanded in anticipation of a growing fanbase. Period, there's no arguing that. If you're not always trying to expand and keep up with the SEC, you will immediately fall behind. No school in the SEC can sit around and wait for demand, it's a ****ing arms race my man.

I still don't understand what you mean by it's not feasible for them. They're raising the money by donation, if they get the money(slow or fast), then it was feasible. BTW, we're both trying to keep up with the Bama/LSU/Auburn/florida/Georgia's of the SEC. We both have a lot of work to do as well, because every time we spend 20 million, the bigger boys spend 40 million.

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I disagree with a few things here. Going to have to jump around a bit.

We don't have the demand either... We're in Mississippi, there shouldn't be 2 60,000+ stadiums in this state. Everyone fills the stadium when you play the big boys, but real demand is your attendance for non-conference games, or kentucky/vandy... We did a good job riding the wave of success Mullen brought to MSU... We were able to raise money and expand because of the excitement. It's the key to success when handling facility upgrades.

As far as football is concerned, Rule #1 is that you don't wait until you have demand, before you start working on supply... Both TSUN and us have always expanded in anticipation of a growing fanbase. Period, there's no arguing that.......

I get that. ADs are NPOs so they operate differently from a company based solely on profits. But there is a middle ground. You have to at least project a bigger fanbase based on SOMETHING, not just jealousy like they did. We upped our capacity to get into that 60K range after we'd been selling out (and filling up, the big difference between Ole Miss and us) our stadium for years at 55K. Not that big of a stretch. How many straight sellouts have we had again?

I still don't understand what you mean by it's not feasible for them. They're raising the money by donation, if they get the money(slow or fast), then it was feasible.

Did you read the article? That's the point. They are having trouble raising the money. Read between the lines. Of course Bjork's not going to say they don't have it, but what's unsaid here tells the tale.

If you're not always trying to expand and keep up with the SEC, you will immediately fall behind. No school in the SEC can sit around and wait for demand, it's a ****ing arms race my man...........BTW, we're both trying to keep up with the Bama/LSU/Auburn/florida/Georgia's of the SEC. We both have a lot of work to do as well, because every time we spend 20 million, the bigger boys spend 40 million.

MSU made an OUTSTANDING decision on this stadium expansion, NOT to try and keep up with the 'haves' anymore. We expanded based on reason and logic, and we gave the stadium a big time look and feel. We build what we expect to need. Not exactly outside the box, but we didn't break our necks trying to be Bama or whoever. We have to do things differently, and trying to out-muscle Bammer isn't going to work. I don't if the final answer is there yet, but without a T-Boone type donation soon, we aren't going to be able to win the powerhouse game.

smootness
04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
MSU made an OUTSTANDING decision on this stadium expansion, NOT to try and keep up with the 'haves' anymore. We expanded based on reason and logic, and we gave the stadium a big time look and feel. We build what we expect to need. Not exactly outside the box, but we didn't break our necks trying to be Bama or whoever. We have to do things differently, and trying to out-muscle Bammer isn't going to work. I don't if the final answer is there yet, but without a T-Boone type donation soon, we aren't going to be able to win the powerhouse game.

I could not possibly agree with this more.

Dawgface
04-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I could not possibly agree with this more.
+1

jimbo352
04-18-2014, 12:12 PM
I disagree with a few things here. Going to have to jump around a bit.

I get that. ADs are NPOs so they operate differently from a company based solely on profits. But there is a middle ground. You have to at least project a bigger fanbase based on SOMETHING, not just jealousy like they did. We upped our capacity to get into that 60K range after we'd been selling out (and filling up, the big difference between Ole Miss and us) our stadium for years at 55K. Not that big of a stretch. How many straight sellouts have we had again?

We may sell out, but we've had plenty of games without enough butts in the seats. Saw it with my own two eyes. It was a down year, but we always have trouble filling the stadium for the small schools. The fact is, when either of our schools aren't having a good year, we aren't going to be filling stadiums. It's a good thing to have when times are good though.

Did you read the article? That's the point. They are having trouble raising the money. Read between the lines. Of course Bjork's not going to say they don't have it, but what's unsaid here tells the tale.

I guess I see it differently. I just thought of it as a way to keep the fundraising in the news so they can keep pushing when the excitement of football season starts back up. Not at all surprising that money has slowed down. I thought it was an ambitious amount to shoot for from the start.

I agree with this. It's better go smaller and nicer. There's a middle ground, but you have to always be adding/building or improving what you have.

FISHDAWG
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
EAVdog ... you're either an architect or a contractor ... which is it ?

PassInterference
04-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Elitedawgs absolutely called this back when OM's fundraising was first announced. Football expansion was a carrot for basketball funds.

I'm on a phone...somebody go dig up the threads on this.

FISHDAWG
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Hack ... I love the way you troll the bears here that are reading but unable to respond ....I guess you already know that you have been cast into the sub-species category of human vermin along with C-34, Cadaver, & Flabloser .... say hello to Flab for me and ask him where he's been lately .... I'm a little concerned the rebel mafia may have gotten to him. ..... then again, he might just be vacationing with Mark Emmert & family

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Hack ... I love the way you troll the bears here that are reading but unable to respond ....I guess you already know that you have been cast into the sub-species category of human vermin along with C-34, Cadaver, & Flabloser .... say hello to Flab for me and ask him where he's been lately .... I'm a little concerned the rebel mafia may have gotten to him. ..... then again, he might just be vacationing with Mark Emmert & family

this whole board has been cast on the lot. I just chose to attend the winning party.

see what I did there?

Bothrops
04-18-2014, 01:13 PM
It doesn't sound like they know exactly what kind of design they want for their end zone. Sounds like they're trying to hasten the process because ours is almost done, and they're getting antsy. I don't believe they have all their ducks in a row.

BulldogBear
04-18-2014, 01:39 PM
They could put a big sign on the other side of the grove that says, "North stadium entrance." then they claim 100,000 people come to their games

Their top priority should be the need to bowl in the grove and put up a new video board bigger than ours***

jimbo352
04-18-2014, 02:17 PM
It doesn't sound like they know exactly what kind of design they want for their end zone. Sounds like they're trying to hasten the process because ours is almost done, and they're getting antsy. I don't believe they have all their ducks in a row.

They released a statement with some kind of video last year during the season. It basically said the design would depend on donations.. To me, that means there will be some type of plan for a very basic bowl in structure, that allows them to upgrade later. The only way they reach the level of donation they need, is for them to have a very big year. 9-10 wins would rejuvenate and speed up donations... I just don't see that happening though. If they win 7 or 8, donations will continue to come in slowly.

EAVdog
04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
EAVdog ... you're either an architect or a contractor ... which is it ?

One of the two.

Their Stadium expansion is about getting more room for premium spots not really about increasing capacity. From what I've heard (I have absolutely nothing to do with it) they need more suites and premium seating much like what everyone else is doing. But that takes more room so they have to offset with new seats elsewhere hence the new addition. I think the Clarion Ledger article is not very accurate in the sense that it makes it look like the project is in doubt or trouble. That's not the case, sorry if that upsets anyone.

Now the average fan was thinking that it would all happen in like 6 months but that was wishful thinking on their part.

hells bells
04-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Shows how worried they are about MSU.

#WeDontCareAboutTheRivalry

I don't care if the dome that damn grave yard in and hang all their National Championships flags in the rafters. It is still fantansy land on steroids.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM
I really hope they continue to deny the rivalry. it helps State in all honesty. We thrive for it. They deny it. The result???

Four. And. One.

hells bells
04-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Lite a bag of crap on fire in front of a black bear and let the entertainment begin. Hack you are on the money.

BulldogBear
04-18-2014, 07:10 PM
I really hope they continue to deny the rivalry. it helps State in all honesty. We thrive for it. They deny it. The result???

Four. And. One.

“Everytime a child says 'I don't believe in fairies,' there's a a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead.”

"Everytime a lil' bear says 'Misstake is not our rival' there's a lil' bear somewhere that fumbles and falls on his face."