PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for FOOD recruiting

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Darren Rovell made a good point on twitter this morning in regards to unintended consequences of the relaxed NCAA food rules:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 18m
And yes, I do expect college programs to now hire high-end team chefs.

So...get ready for who has the best chef to be a part of the recruiting process. All I ask of MSU is that we don't be the last SEC school to hire a chef and figure this out.

Scott, for goodness sakes, don't let Alabama hire the first chef, then LSU, then Auburn, then Ole Miss, and then we finally figure out that maybe we should hire one as well. I realize it goes against the MSU way of doing things, but lets be the early adapters on this, and go hire the best chef in Mississippi and get a head start on other programs.

What do you think?

What chef should MSU go after?

smootness
04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I do not expect teams to do this, except that they may now that the idea is actually out there. But changing the rule itself shouldn't have an impact on that.

Schools have always been able to offer food to kids, meal plans, etc. UGA has great food, and players have always been able to eat as much of that as they want while the dining halls are open. There was nothing stopping them from hiring a high-end chef before.

PassInterference
04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
This shouldn't be hard to do. The chef basically needs to just make menus and train cooks. Gotta stay nutritionally-minded though.

Bully13
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
One of my fantasies if I ever won the lottery would be to place a world class restaurant on campus. it would be south beach diet based. I would create a small lake where people could catch fish and have it brought to the chefs. people would learn how to clean fish if they wanted to. carbs would be more bean and peas instead of white bread and taters. quinoe. peruvian ceviche. commited athletes would benefit enormously.

SignalToNoise
04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
One of my fantasies if I ever won the lottery would be to place a world class restaurant on campus. it would be south beach diet based. I would create a small lake where people could catch fish and have it brought to the chefs. people would learn how to clean fish if they wanted to. carbs would be more bean and peas instead of white bread and taters. quinoe. peruvian ceviche. commited athletes would benefit enormously.

I don't understand the comment on carbs. I'm just an average joe weightlifter, but reducing carbs from diet stalled my strength progression seriously. I can't see anyone in a collegiate S&C program benefiting from reducing/eliminating carbs. They'd just make up the calories elsewhere by eating more fat or protein.

dawgs
04-18-2014, 10:36 AM
I don't understand the comment on carbs. I'm just an average joe weightlifter, but reducing carbs from diet stalled my strength progression seriously. I can't see anyone in a collegiate S&C program benefiting from reducing/eliminating carbs. They'd just make up the calories elsewhere by eating more fat or protein.

i think he's saying healthier carbs instead of bad carbs like white wonder bread and greasy or buttery potatoes.

starkvegasdawg
04-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Giada de Laurentis. She can cook team meals in a bikini or lingerie.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 11:06 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=giada+de+laurentiis&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tkxRU_XtEuTu0gGdkoCYCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=372#facrc=_&imgrc=nwnCZi7x0LCiLM%253A%3Bvx38nIrA-YYxxM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg4.cookinglight.com%2 52Fi%252F2006%252F04%252Fgiada-de-laurentis-0604p28-m.jpg%253F300%253A300%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.coo kinglight.com%252Fcooking-101%252Fmeet-the-chef%252Ftable-talk-giada-de-laurentiis-00400000005715%252F%3B300%3B300
Giada de Laurentis. She can cook team meals in a bikini or lingerie.

I fully expect Ole Miss to do this.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 11:08 AM
what? so before this the team had to cook for themselves?

dawgs
04-18-2014, 12:42 PM
what? so before this the team had to cook for themselves?

no but your line cook at your avg university cafeteria ain't exactly fine dining. i think they are saying programs may look into hiring high end chefs to actually make really good food for athletes instead of your typical cafeteria food.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
I didn't realize they prohibited good food before. Utterly ridiculous.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 01:00 PM
"Come to Ole Miss fellas, you can get a BJ and ribeye every night if you want."

Bully13
04-18-2014, 01:09 PM
i think he's saying healthier carbs instead of bad carbs like white wonder bread and greasy or buttery potatoes.

yep,...the atkinson diet of no carbs has been debunked totally. getting your carbs from carrots, beans, peas, quinoe and things of that nature are much better for you and there is very little argument at this stage to the contrary.

pototes, white rice (even whole grain rice) and bread are easily replaced by better alternatives. the alternatives have more vitamins and minerals. quinoe even has protein. quinoe is one of the best unknowns at this point even though NASA has known about it since the 70's. (big payoff from the wheat farmers I'd guess)

everything we eat is transformed into sugar. the question is how fast digestion takes place and how much vitamins and minerals we get from the food. white bread digests faster than the pancreas can create insulin for. and you get little vitamins or minerals from it. therefore you are hungrier faster.

go read the chapter in the south beach diet. makes lot of sense. if it says "enriched" on the label, keep it on the shelf. don't waste your money or your health.

BulldogBear
04-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Emeril to LSU of course. Who do we go for? I haven't a clue. I suggest my wife.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Petty.

SignalToNoise
04-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Emeril to LSU of course. Who do we go for? I haven't a clue. I suggest my wife.

Paula Deen, or anyone else that cooks one meal with several sticks of butter.

State82
04-18-2014, 04:22 PM
I still like Rachel Ray. Don't know what it is about her but she's cute as a basket of puppies.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
My vote is for Negalla Lawson

http://thunderbird37.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/nigella-lawson-hd-pics..jpg

scottycameron
04-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Darren Rovell made a good point on twitter this morning in regards to unintended consequences of the relaxed NCAA food rules:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 18m
And yes, I do expect college programs to now hire high-end team chefs.

So...get ready for who has the best chef to be a part of the recruiting process. All I ask of MSU is that we don't be the last SEC school to hire a chef and figure this out.

Scott, for goodness sakes, don't let Alabama hire the first chef, then LSU, then Auburn, then Ole Miss, and then we finally figure out that maybe we should hire one as well. I realize it goes against the MSU way of doing things, but lets be the early adapters on this, and go hire the best chef in Mississippi and get a head start on other programs.

What do you think?

Come on, man. Do you think FB players care about a chef? Give them a choice between a 5 star restaurant and Mcdonalds/Taco Bell and they are making a run for the border hands down. 5 star chefs probably cook crappy French fries.

dawgs
04-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Come on, man. Do you think FB players care about a chef? Give them a choice between a 5 star restaurant and Mcdonalds/Taco Bell and they are making a run for the border hands down. 5 star chefs probably cook crappy French fries.

if cost is the same either way, every one of them would take a 5* chef over McD's. i know if would have eaten a lot better in college if quality food was the same price as fast food.

dawgs
04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
cat cora is from jackson and went to usm.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 04:51 PM

Is my name Darren Rovell and did I tweet that out to a million people this morning?

Just look at me as more or less of a messenger, rather than thinking that all this matters.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
cat cora is from jackson and went to usm.

Cat Cora it is then. She has Mississippi ties, is really hot, and I'm sure can whip up some mean salmon.

http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/SC/cat-cora-headshot-lg.jpg

scottycameron
04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Is my name Darren Rovell and did I tweet that out to a million people this morning?

Just look at me as more or less of a messenger, rather than thinking that all this matters.

Gotcha.

scottycameron
04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Cat Cora it is then. She has Mississippi ties, is really hot, and I'm sure can whip up some mean salmon.

http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/SC/cat-cora-headshot-lg.jpg

pretty sure she's a dyke.

dawgs
04-18-2014, 06:21 PM
yeah she's a lesbian. i have no problem with that.

dawgoneyall
04-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Some one from LFL? maybe?