PDA

View Full Version : From the good news department...

Coach34
04-17-2014, 02:01 PM
It sounds as if Bear Wilson has decided its in his best interest to be football-only moving forward.

messageboardsuperhero
04-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Smart decision on his part. It's in his best professional interest to just focus on football.

I'm glad we gave him a chance to play basketball though- that could help us with some other dual sport guys.

lachepas565
04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I hope Staley does the same soon. Almost impossible to do both. Who was the last person to play both at a high level? Tony Gonzalez? Donovan McNabb?

Coach34
04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I think Staley will try and play both his Freshman year- then when he finds out how demanding it really is at the college level- I figure he will do what Wilson did and go back to football full-time

bluelightstar
04-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I think they said this during the Spring Game broadcast as well. Good news.

TexasDawg
04-17-2014, 02:20 PM
I am not completely sure Wilson ever really cared about playing college basketball, probably just had him do it to show Staley that we would let him try both.

smootness
04-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I am not completely sure Wilson ever really cared about playing college basketball, probably just had him do it to show Staley that we would let him try both.

Well, he claimed it was the main reason he chose us over Auburn.

Political Hack
04-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Julius Peppers.

slickdawg
04-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Rick Ray said "I think Bear's future is in football" - how much he progressed from game 1 to 12 was amazing to watch. Now with a spring under his belt, I hope he takes the next step forward and really develops as a wide receiver.

Goat Holder
04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
That and Tim Brewster selling him on MSU.

smootness
04-17-2014, 03:08 PM
That and Tim Brewster selling him on MSU.

I'm just telling you what he said. Auburn didn't want him to play basketball, State was fine with it. That was big in his decision.

quickstrike2
04-17-2014, 03:17 PM
He has all the tools to big a big time player.

bulldawg28
04-17-2014, 03:24 PM
If Wilson had more playing time he'd still be a two sport athlete. Kids love to play and he sparingly played on the bouncing ball court.

maroonmania
04-17-2014, 03:27 PM
I think they said this during the Spring Game broadcast as well. Good news.

Yes, I heard that on the broadcast as well.

Johnson85
04-17-2014, 03:28 PM
I hope Staley does the same soon. Almost impossible to do both. Who was the last person to play both at a high level? Tony Gonzalez? Donovan McNabb?

The only two I remember doing both at a high level were Ward and McNabb. Don't remember Tony Gonzalez in college but I thought he played basketball in college and moved to football afterwards, just like Joey Graham. Julius Peppers played both for a little while but I don't remember him doing much in basketball. But he could have been a good defender and rebounder without me noticing. Matt Jones was pretty serviceable at basketball, but it was clear he was relying almost solely on size and athleticism. Guy name Ronald curry was the #1 football and basketball recruit nationwide, signed with UNC, and I think basically sucked at both in college. Paulus or whatever his name was at Duke was solid at basketball and football at Syracuse, but only played one year of football at Syracuse after he finished basketball at Duke.

What's weird is a lot of the successful players were QB's and PG's, which I would think would be the two hardest positions to play if your off season is dedicated to another sport. You'd think there would be a decent number of guys that could play wide receiver in football and SG or SF in basketball, but I can't remember seeing anybody that was particular good at that combo.

TheRef
04-17-2014, 03:32 PM
At a high level? You'll probably have to say Bo Jackson. He was the prototypical dual-sport player. Football and Baseball and excelled in BOTH.

smootness
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM
The only two I remember doing both at a high level were Ward and McNabb. Don't remember Tony Gonzalez in college but I thought he played basketball in college and moved to football afterwards, just like Joey Graham. Julius Peppers played both for a little while but I don't remember him doing much in basketball. But he could have been a good defender and rebounder without me noticing. Matt Jones was pretty serviceable at basketball, but it was clear he was relying almost solely on size and athleticism. Guy name Ronald curry was the #1 football and basketball recruit nationwide, signed with UNC, and I think basically sucked at both in college. Paulus or whatever his name was at Duke was solid at basketball and football at Syracuse, but only played one year of football at Syracuse after he finished basketball at Duke.

What's weird is a lot of the successful players were QB's and PG's, which I would think would be the two hardest positions to play if your off season is dedicated to another sport. You'd think there would be a decent number of guys that could play wide receiver in football and SG or SF in basketball, but I can't remember seeing anybody that was particular good at that combo.

Curry was definitely fairly middling in both. He showed promise in basketball and probably should have stuck with that; in football, he was more athlete than QB.

McNabb did essentially nothing in basketball, averaged a couple ppg one year. Peppers was far better that McNabb was in basketball, averaged 7 ppg/4 rpg one year, a pretty good guy off the bench for them.

Tony Gonzalez was an All-American in football at Cal, he absolutely played college football; he was pretty good in basketball, too, pretty much like Peppers was.

Bruce Ellington ended up being one who excelled in both.

Goat Holder
04-17-2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/wenonah_senior_derunnya_commit.html

Wilson said his recruiting is "done" and no longer plans to take the official visit to Auburn he's planned on taking before National Signing Day.

What was the main reason why he committed to play both sports in Starkville? Wilson said it was Brewster. He coaches the wide receivers at Mississippi State.

"Tim Brewster is why I am going to play in Starkville," Wilson said. "He feels like a father to me. I just like the way he came at me. Most coaches were telling me I was going to be a star at their school.

Wilson said that stood out.

"That coach (Brewster) came at me like he was going to push me to the limit," he said. "He wanted me to work. He wasn't going to tell me something he didn't know yet. The only thing he knew about me is he was going to push me to be the best. To the limit. He just didn't want to tell me stuff that every recruit wants to hear. That's why I have a lot of respect for him."

smootness
04-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Fair enough. I remember basketball playing an important role in his decision, though.

Goat Holder
04-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Oh I'm sure they told him plenty of that. I think we sort of got off easy on both counts because he did so well during the year. I could see a guy like him getting a little disgruntled over one, Brewster leaving a month later, and two, the lack of bball playing time if he had say, redshirted and not seen the football field (while Auburn played for a title).

smootness
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Oh I'm sure they told him plenty of that. I think we sort of got off easy on both counts because he did so well during the year. I could see a guy like him getting a little disgruntled over one, Brewster leaving a month later, and two, the lack of bball playing time if he had say, redshirted and not seen the football field (while Auburn played for a title).

Possibly, but generally once guys get into a program and make friends, etc., those things aren't as big a deal. I'm sure there was a time where he felt a little unsure because Brewster wasn't there but I'm guessing that doesn't even cross his mind now. He probably has a better relationship with Gonzalez at this point than he ever had with Brewster.

Dawg61
04-17-2014, 04:52 PM
It sounds as if Bear Wilson has decided its in his best interest to be football-only moving forward.

Like he actually had a choice. Once he produced so well in football he was treated like canceraids on the basketball team. Pushed towards football is the understatement of the century. Oh well. I'll be thrilled to watch him in football and I hope he develops into a better receiver than Keyshawn. He is very talented at WR.

Johnson85
04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Tony Gonzalez was an All-American in football at Cal, he absolutely played college football; he was pretty good in basketball, too, pretty much like Peppers was.
Is there another good TE in the NFL besides Joey Graham that basically didn't play college football or only played one year? I was thinking they always compared him to somebody his first year out. Maybe they were comparing him to Gonzalez because he played basketball too, but I was thinking there was another convert.

Bruce Ellington ended up being one who excelled in both.
Forgot him. Good one

smootness
04-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Is there another good TE in the NFL besides Joey Graham that basically didn't play college football or only played one year? I was thinking they always compared him to somebody his first year out. Maybe they were comparing him to Gonzalez because he played basketball too, but I was thinking there was another

Antonio Gates

starkvegasdawg
04-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Deion Sanders played two sports at the professional level. Can't really say he excelled in pro baseball but good enough to make an mlb roster.

BhamDawg
04-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Charlie Ward, hands down.

Led FSU to a national championship and won the Heisman trophy. I think he led the basketball team to the elite eight one year. Played 10 or so years with the knicks. Absolute stud.

Rayburn8
04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
If staley has to pick between football and basketball, he will most likely go basketball. Not only is he better at it but with how well Nick Fitzgerald was, he may never see a football field.

archdog
04-17-2014, 08:18 PM
At a high level? You'll probably have to say Bo Jackson. He was the prototypical dual-sport player. Football and Baseball and excelled in BOTH.

Dave Winfield. Pretty sure he only played basrball and lacrosse in college but was drafted in the NBA, NFL, and MLB. NBA and NFL on potential talent alone. That is how bad ass that dude was.

Coach34
04-17-2014, 08:41 PM
If staley has to pick between football and basketball, he will most likely go basketball. Not only is he better at it but with how well Nick Fitzgerald was, he may never see a football field.

Staley is training 4 days a week for football right now. He was at the Spring Game and knows his ass is QB4 coming into camp. He is going to be ready to come in to compete and work his way up the ladder.

smootness
04-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Staley is not better at basketball, and that is not a shot at his basketball ability. He is a big-time prospect at QB.

thf24
04-17-2014, 11:58 PM
I think Staley will try and play both his Freshman year- then when he finds out how demanding it really is at the college level- I figure he will do what Wilson did and go back to football full-time

I'd like to see Staley try at least one year as he has the skill to actually meaningfully contribute in basketball. And I don't mean to sound like I'm making rash predictions, because I'm not, but hypothetically, should Fitzgerald emerge as our clear 3rd string QB between the summer and next spring, Staley might decide he has more to offer in basketball than football.

DudyDawg
04-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Antonio gates was pretty good at both

thf24
04-18-2014, 12:37 AM
It seems to me that the only way a player can play two sports past the freshman year is if he's too good in both of them for either coach to risk losing him by saying he has to choose one.

esplanade91
04-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Bruce Ellington

smootness
04-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Antonio gates was pretty good at both

He didn't play football in college.

smootness
04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I'd like to see Staley try at least one year as he has the skill to actually meaningfully contribute in basketball. And I don't mean to sound like I'm making rash predictions, because I'm not, but hypothetically, should Fitzgerald emerge as our clear 3rd string QB between the summer and next spring, Staley might decide he has more to offer in basketball than football.

I just don't think there's any way Fitzgerald runs away from Staley like that. I've seen Staley play, he's legit. He should be further along in his passing ability than Fitzgerald, and he's every bit the athlete Fitzgerald is at a somehow even bigger size.

PassInterference
04-18-2014, 09:04 AM
How ****ing awesome is it that at this point in our program we are arguing about which stud QB is going to have to redshirt!

In the old days around here, any QB with some talent would have folks arguing for him to be the starter ASAP. Now we argue about who has to redshirt.

smootness
04-18-2014, 09:27 AM
How ****ing awesome is it that at this point in our program we are arguing about which stud QB is going to have to redshirt!

In the old days around here, any QB with some talent would have folks arguing for him to be the starter ASAP. Now we argue about who has to redshirt.

Yup, and one of the top overall players in the country for 2016, who is an out-of-state QB, just named us his leader and there's been very little discussion of it. In the past, that would dominate the message boards for 2 years with fans salivating at even the chance that a QB like that could come here.

We've absolutely never had a time in our history where we've been this set at QB, there's no doubt about that.

Coach34
04-18-2014, 09:45 AM

That's the thing though- as good as Fitz looked- I'll be shocked if Staley doesnt even look better than him. Staley is more advanced throwing the ball than Fitz- but Fitz is probably a little better runner

thf24
04-18-2014, 09:57 AM
I just don't think there's any way Fitzgerald runs away from Staley like that. I've seen Staley play, he's legit. He should be further along in his passing ability than Fitzgerald, and he's every bit the athlete Fitzgerald is at a somehow even bigger size.

That's the thing though- as good as Fitz looked- I'll be shocked if Staley doesnt even look better than him. Staley is more advanced throwing the ball than Fitz- but Fitz is probably a little better runner

Yeah, that's what I'm honestly thinking too. Just throwing the possibility out there.

Coach34
04-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Staley loves basketball and would absolutely make more of an impact than Bear did. He is simply a better basketball player. The problem is that he wont be joining to the team until January- and has to start shooting the basketball, getting in shape, and learning all shit he has missed. That takes about a month. So now Staley or any player joining after football only has about 5 weeks to make an impact on the season.

If we werent making a bowl game- they could join in November and it would be a totally different situation

MS_half-step
04-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Michael Gholar