PDA

View Full Version : The Left Field Lounge

bulldogcountry1
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm on the side that wants to build a whole new stadium, maybe at a new site. I also want to preserve the LFL to a degree, but make it safer. I honestly was sitting in the grandstand last saturday thinking, "I hope none of them things fall in today."

I ask this as a person who has rarely enjoyed a game from the LFL but treasures it's existence - What would you do with it? How would you make it safe and not take away from the aura of the place?

jumbo
04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every structure have to go through an inspection before it can be put in place?

engie
04-17-2014, 11:32 AM
LFL is being preserved. Period. Scott has been on the record about this constantly. He FULLY understands the importance and allure of it to Mississippi state...

Will it be identical? Probably not. Know what? It's already not identical to how it was last year...

Homedawg
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every structure have to go through an inspection before it can be put in place?

Nope- the trailer beside mine had 10-15 missing boards. After about the first three weekends they told the people they had to fix it. Which was just a tad late. But none have any engineering specs to them.

Homedawg
04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
LFL is being preserved. Period. Scott has been on the record about this constantly. He FULLY understands the importance and allure of it to Mississippi state...

Will it be identical? Probably not. Know what? It's already not identical to how it was last year...

I think this is pretty spot on. The only problem will come from those who complain that's it's not identical. As coach said in another thread- things are going to have to change from a safety perspective. How they do that and keep it where it's unique is the tough part. But I have confidence it will be done. Not all will be pleased I'm sure- never are. But the status quo cant remain.

Mjoelner34
04-17-2014, 12:28 PM

I don't know about before they are put in place but they do inspect them before you sit on them. What is their inspection criteria? I have no idea. I do know that from game 1 this year if your rig was not supported to their satisfaction and stable, you got red-tagged and could not get back on it until you complied with whatever their standards are. Also, later on, you had to put the orange, construction fence underpinning around your rig or you got red-tagged until you did so.

To answer your question in a nutshell, yes, they do inspections and red-tag rigs. Is there any rhyme or reason as to how they approve someone other than the inspector stepping on the thing and saying "looks good", probably not. If they are going to do inpsections to improve safety (which I have zero problems with), they should have some guidelines made up and pass them out to the spot owners and have inspections performed by an engineer. When/if that happens, I think handrails will be the first thing to be required. A lot of rigs, including mine, doesn't have them and all of them should.

noledawg
04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm on the side that wants to build a whole new stadium, maybe at a new site. I also want to preserve the LFL to a degree, but make it safer. I honestly was sitting in the grandstand last saturday thinking, "I hope none of them things fall in today."

I ask this as a person who has rarely enjoyed a game from the LFL but treasures it's existence - What would you do with it? How would you make it safe and not take away from the aura of the place?

This is not a complete answer to all of your questions, but I think the rig owners should be required to obtain some type of certification from a licensed engineer that verifies each rig complies with whatever type of code (structural, etc.) would apply to the rigs. I would also require that each rig owner obtain a general liability policy with at least a one million dollar policy limit and have MSU listed as an additional insured on each policy. I don't know how you would do it, other than require all rig owners to pay dues for the leased spaces for the rigs, similar to a home owners' association, but I would also make all of the rig owners purchase an umbrella policy collectively that has a pretty hefty policy limits on it. I would also require that MSU be listed as an additional insured on the umbrella policy as well.

Some or all of this may not be feasible since you are dealing with government owned property (LFL), certain government entities (MSU), etc., but I think it would be worth looking at. If any of this is a feasible option, I believe that some of the rig owners will not be able to get a licensed engineer to certify that their individual rigs are safe, and I think that will require at least some of the rig owners to upgrade to a "nicer"/safer rig that will pass the required inspection. I think this will cause the rig owners to gradually as time goes on to upgraded or buy new rigs which should also help with the aesthetic aspect of LFL as well.

Political Hack
04-17-2014, 01:06 PM
they need to spread them out a little more and prepare the landscape better to host them. The walkways between the rigs are as dangerous as the rigs themselves. Not to mention the ADA issues with accessibility. They need to make space for regular walkways, put height restrictions on the front row rigs, and have weekly safety inspections for every rig. The road behind the rigs needs to stay open for in and out traffic, but they need to use that space more effectively IMO. Even if it all a for having a Budweiser (I think) type deck that you see at Wrigley across the street, they need to use that space for additional fans that can enjoy the outfield experience. you could out a 20 foot platform out there fairly easily much like and upper deck to a football stadium. If you want to dream big, you could even have LFL boxes up there. Make them unique with open air seating and have grills available.

All in all, it's a chance to build on what makes DNF so great. You don't do that by changing what's already great. You do it be enhancing what's already great. Outside of treating any safety issues that may be present, they need to preserve the historical significance of the LFL first and foremost.

Bothrops
04-17-2014, 01:29 PM
In my opinion, LFL cannot be properly preserved if moved to a new location. To be preserved, it needs to be in it's historical location. Now if we want to tidy it up that's fine with me, but otherwise, a reproduction in another location will just open the door to copycats in the future.

shannondawg
04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Upgrades are probably the way to go. But a sanitized version of the LFL will certainly not carry the same ambiance of the original.. It will never be the same.

engie
04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
In my opinion, LFL cannot be properly preserved if moved to a new location. To be preserved, it needs to be in it's historical location. Now if we want to tidy it up that's fine with me, but otherwise, a reproduction in another location will just open the door to copycats in the future.

So we've got magic dirt in that location? Basically?

ghostofjackie
04-17-2014, 04:53 PM
This is not a complete answer to all of your questions, but I think the rig owners should be required to obtain some type of certification from a licensed engineer that verifies each rig complies with whatever type of code (structural, etc.) would apply to the rigs.

Good luck in finding an engineer that would stamp anything in the LFL.

State82
04-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Good luck in finding an engineer that would stamp anything in the LFL.

You said it. They better not call me.

Bothrops
04-17-2014, 05:14 PM
So we've got magic dirt in that location? Basically?

Magic dirt? Yes, yes we do. Seriously, I have no problem building new from ground up, but it better have a unique appeal to it that puts it in a class all by itself. I highly doubt we would build as big as Alex Box. But if a new park is built, would it be at a different location? I think it would almost have to.

EAVdog
04-17-2014, 05:20 PM
they need to spread them out a little more and prepare the landscape better to host them. The walkways between the rigs are as dangerous as the rigs themselves. Not to mention the ADA issues with accessibility. They need to make space for regular walkways, put height restrictions on the front row rigs, and have weekly safety inspections for every rig. The road behind the rigs needs to stay open for in and out traffic, but they need to use that space more effectively IMO. Even if it all a for having a Budweiser (I think) type deck that you see at Wrigley across the street, they need to use that space for additional fans that can enjoy the outfield experience. you could out a 20 foot platform out there fairly easily much like and upper deck to a football stadium. If you want to dream big, you could even have LFL boxes up there. Make them unique with open air seating and have grills available.

All in all, it's a chance to build on what makes DNF so great. You don't do that by changing what's already great. You do it be enhancing what's already great. Outside of treating any safety issues that may be present, they need to preserve the historical significance of the LFL first and foremost.

Alterations could easily be made to LFL that establish better access, terraced levels for the trailers, maybe a little open space, clearly designated trailer lots, an enhanced boardwalk directly behind the fence etc... All changes could be in the site and leave the trailers up to the owners. The legal heads could figure out the liability issues.

You want to make LFL better, not different.

EAVdog
04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Magic dirt? Yes, yes we do. Seriously, I have no problem building new from ground up, but it better have a unique appeal to it that puts it in a class all by itself. I highly doubt we would build as big as Alex Box. But if a new park is built, would it be at a different location? I think it would almost have to.

You could go ground up in the same place, you would just have an entry plaza similar to the Ted in Atlanta where folks enter from the Outfield. If anyone has ever been to the Ted just imagine a similar setup with that entry plaza where the road is now and instead of the Chophouse and Fan Plex there would be LFL, with appropriate hardscaping, open space, and circulation to the grandstands.

dawgoneyall
04-17-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't understand this sudden saftety issue. What is unsafe?

The only incident has been the platform that the administration had built in right field.

dawgoneyall
04-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Geeese.

bulldogcountry1
04-17-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't understand this sudden saftety issue. What is unsafe?

The only incident has been the platform that the administration had built in right field.

It's not a sudden issue. There have been concerns for years. I recall seeing pics of some of those things this year when they were setting them up. Let's face it, the average person can't properly build a mobile structure that can support dozens of people. Throw in a situation where those dozens are all jumping up and down celebrating. Bad things can happen.