PDA

View Full Version : Tiger effect still in force with the PGA - Masters ratings were lowest in two decades

Irondawg
04-17-2014, 10:52 AM
No Phil hurt as well.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10795324/nielsen-weekend-ratings-masters-worst-1993

Political Hack
04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
weird. I actually watched in more Sunday than I ever have before.

Goat Holder
04-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately.

Tiger is finished. But the newest generation of stars are going to make up for it. Watson, Spieth, Fowler.....people like to watch those guys. Foreigners aren't too bad either.

quickstrike2
04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Golf is probably going to lose some viewers with Tiger not being the Tiger he once was. Because of him, people were watching golf that didn't even care about it just to watch and see how good he was. I personally think that golf right now really good. I love watching the majors where 15-20 people are capable of winning it.

Officials in basketball, football, and baseball has got to the point where they can single handily change a game. Alabama with the no holding penalties, Kentucky with many no calls in big games against us in basketball. You know that some officials have a vested interested in the games they are calling. That's what makes golf so great to me, its the player versus the field and no one is going to be out there to help you out because your number 1 in the world.

maroonmania
04-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Its not JUST the loss of Tiger, its the fact that no "favorites" that people can latch onto have emerged. Mickelson wasn't even a factor and other guys with reasonably familiar names weren't in the chase. Bubba Watson is fine but he is not going to draw in viewers by himself. I think its just seems to most people there were just a bunch of random golfers out there playing for the Masters title and that is not going to peak interest in anyone. Would be like replacing all the current NASCAR drivers with people nobody had ever heard of. Interest would die down in that sport fast.

Drugdog
04-17-2014, 06:27 PM
I watched because there was NO tiger. Fun not to hear a broadcast without the drooling all over him.

Coach34
04-17-2014, 07:18 PM
People also would tune in just to root against Tiger

rabbitthedawg
04-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Phil not being in the mix was a huge factor imho.

FISHDAWG
04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
the Masters is my favorite sports event other than the Egg Bowl and I have tracked the tourney every since 1984 When Crenshaw won his first jacket. Most times someone comes from the pack on Sunday making a charge and keeping things interesting, or a favorite (whether it's Tiger, Phil, or an older veteran ) has the lead or close to it like Fred Couples was again .... Couples started fading on Saturday, then Adam Scott faded early on Sunday .... Bubba had already won two years before .... the 50 yr old Spaniard Jimenez had a run but everyone knew the end of that story line already .... that leaves the rookie Spieth as the only story line left and that should have been enough to draw viewers but didn't ...... I tune in on Thursdays and watch all coverage so I was hooked early as were most avid golfers and that was the story line I was most intrigued by -the young 20 yr old rookie ..... I thought it was a good tourney but I don't need a celebrity name ...... so, as a student of that tournament- while ratings were down, I thought it was a better tourney than usual

Bully13
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
The Spieth story was great. living now in N. Texas made it that more interesting for me. No Tiger is no myth though. nobody in their right mind can deny that. I want him back and so does the game. my reason though is the one 34 mentioned above. I like to see him lose. it's one of the major reasons I tune in. I want to see him throw a club, throw a GD or F bomb while the cameral crew makes haste in getting the cameral off him. I like seeing him humbled. I want to see him lose his #1 ranking. I want to see and hear the announcers dwell in their sorrow. I want to see all of these things while I remember him tip toeing towards the hole with his index finger pointing.

thf24
04-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Besides the reasons already mentioned, I think it could have played a part that on the latter half of Sunday, when the most people are usually watching, it was clear by 12 or 13 that it was Bubba's to lose. It may have come off as a little boring to the average viewer who's used to two or three guys being in tight contention right to the last hole.

quickstrike2
04-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Besides the reasons already mentioned, I think it could have played a part that on the latter half of Sunday, when the most people are usually watching, it was clear by 12 or 13 that it was Bubba's to lose. It may have come off as a little boring to the average viewer who's used to two or three guys being in tight contention right to the last hole.

Compared to the last two Masters, you could say it was rather boring down the stretch. Bubba ran off with it and no one made a real push on the back nine. Still very enjoyable for me to watch as a golf fan. The previous two Masters had me on the edge of my seat the whole back nine and into the playoff holes.

smootness
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately.

Tiger is finished. But the newest generation of stars are going to make up for it. Watson, Spieth, Fowler.....people like to watch those guys. Foreigners aren't too bad either.

They won't ever fully 'make up for it'. There has never been a Tiger Woods in golf, and there likely never will be again. That doesn't mean someone won't come along eventually who has a similar sort of draw, but Tiger helped put golf into the mainstream like no one else could have done.

I understand why people don't like the guy; he isn't a great person. But he's been phenomenal for the game of golf.

FISHDAWG
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
They won't ever fully 'make up for it'. There has never been a Tiger Woods in golf, and there likely never will be again. That doesn't mean someone won't come along eventually who has a similar sort of draw, but Tiger helped put golf into the mainstream like no one else could have done.

I understand why people don't like the guy; he isn't a great person. But he's been phenomenal for the game of golf.

Smoot .... you drinkin early ?

scottycameron
04-18-2014, 01:43 PM
I wish the ratings would drop further. Too many dorks are into the game now. Tiger about ruined it. We need to thin the herd a good bit. I was in Augusta, a bunch of those folks need to go watch an NBA game or something. Golf was just a whole lot better before Tiger came along.

Political Hack
04-18-2014, 01:47 PM
I wish the ratings would drop further. Too many dorks are into the game now. Tiger about ruined it. We need to thin the herd a good bit. I was in Augusta, a bunch of those folks need to go watch an NBA game or something. Golf was just a whole lot better before Tiger came along.

settle down Shooter.

smootness
04-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Smoot .... you drinkin early ?

No, I fully believe everything I typed. Name me one other golfer in history who captivated the nation's attention the way Tiger did. Palmer? He was extremely popular, but not even he made golf appointment viewing. It will take more than a great golfer to do it again.

No one outside of pure golf fans want to tune in to see someone play golf really well. They want to see someone change the game or break barriers, etc.

Goat Holder
04-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Country club era is over pal, whether you like it or not.

scottycameron
04-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Country club era is over pal, whether you like it or not.

I better let my CC manger know. I'm pretty sure he has no idea.