PDA

View Full Version : Pollard update from Talty

Coach34
04-16-2014, 09:39 AM
"Who is recruiting him?
Despite everything that has happened to Pollard, it hasn't scared off potential suitors. Pollard returning to Alabama isn't an option, according to White, but he could land back in the SEC.
Missouri, Kentucky and Troy are three schools after the talented forward, but Pollard hasn't set up visits with any schools. White says he met with Pollard last week and talked recruiting, but that it's anyone's guess to where he ends up.
"Everybody is trying to call and text me to try to get involved," White said. "Out of high school, he waited until the very end. I wouldn't be surprised if he (did) that again."
Pollard will have until May 21 to sign a binding letter of intent with a Division-I school, though he could ultimately wait and enroll at a school without a letter of intent. The former Mr. Basketball certainly has the talent to be successful at a high level of college basketball, but his junior college coach believes he needs to work on his perimeter skills in order to have better success than he did at Alabama.
"Ball-handling is going to be his key if he's going to play high-major basketball," he said. "He can't be 6-8, 200 pounds and play inside. He has to have a perimeter, mid-ranged kind of game. To be a factor at that level, his game has to continue to improve from a perimeter aspect. But he's a first-class athlete?they don't come much more athletic than Devonta Pollard."

Missouri and Kentucky my ass. He's not signing because few want him. He's likely to end up at Troy with Phil-Phil since Stands has him "locked down"

smootness
04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah, if the junior college coach is saying he needs to develop ball-handling and a perimeter game to play high-major basketball, then he isn't anywhere close to a 5-star talent.

He's saying that right now, he wouldn't be effective in high-major basketball; that's a pretty big indictment.

engie
04-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Kentucky and Missouri?

lulz

Saltydog
04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
talent. Why are we not after his ass or are we after him and there's no interest on his part?

engie
04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
talent. Why are we not after his ass or are we after him and there's no interest on his part?

Because he's REALLY not that talented. His game doesn't translate. The reason he hasn't already signed with MSU is because there is little interest on OUR part.

Feel free to compare numbers between Pollard and the JUCO from Jones that we're likely about to sign at the same position...

Coach34
04-16-2014, 10:08 AM

WE have no interest. He's just not very good.

smootness
04-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Again, his JUCO coach said he needs to develop ball-handling skills and a perimeter game in order to play at the high-major level. That is not an instant-impact guy. He is now two years out of HS, he shouldn't have to develop anything in order to play at this level. The fact that his JUCO coach is saying that should tell you all you need to know.

He didn't say, 'if he could develop his perimeter game more, he'd be unstoppable'; again, that's what he needs to play at this level. We now have plenty of tape outside of his HS career to go on - I don't know why people get so tied to someone's opinion of a player coming out of HS after we have much more evidence since then.

tcdog70
04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Bang The Drum Loudly, so all might hear. Agenda, Agenda Agenda. Shit stirrers

smootness
04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Bang The Drum Loudly, so all might hear. Agenda, Agenda Agenda. Shit stirrers

How is this an agenda? Several people have claimed we should be after Devonta Pollard, and this article is evidence that he's probably not good enough for us to bring in. It's information to continue the discussion.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
How is this an agenda? Several people have claimed we should be after Devonta Pollard, and this article is evidence that he's probably not good enough for us to bring in. It's information to continue the discussion.

He's just moaning because those of us that said Pollard wasnt very good and didnt need to be brought in have been proven right yet aGAIN.

engie
04-16-2014, 10:43 AM

It's an agenda -- because it calls out his agenda -- which was all about Pollard for the longest time even though we were pointing out that we had a current signee that put up better numbers at the same position. We've now go 2 such signees...

2/13
Thank you for a voice of reason. Pollard is doing fine at Scooba. why would he not be ok AT MSU ? He is on probation, so isn't that insurance that he will toe the line. He would be the most talented played on our team if he was in Starkville.

Just because it's funny that Dawg61 doesn't even know what position Pollard plays.
The fourth player I put a ? behind their names. Can you not figure out what that means yourself? And I'll bet you all my VCash Devonta Pollard is better than Ndoye and/or Black.

tcdog70
04-16-2014, 03:23 PM
You are foolish if you think Pollard isn't talented. I think He would start at MSU. It is no agenda. I just want us to sign the best players available. if you and the other 34 parrots, don't think DP is an SEC talent, then you must have an agenda against Him. Your small group of Stansbury haters have now expanded to hate on Pollard. please continue to tell Us how good Daniel is and what an impact IJ ready was. Also brag on Ray's x and o ability( he couldn't figure how to attack a 1-3-1). Anything to stir up the board no matter now ridiculous your post are. We have bee none of the worst team is the SEC for two years- hard to spin the suxitude we reside in but I'm sure you can dig up some obscure stat to back you up.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Just because it's funny that Dawg61 doesn't even know what position Pollard plays.

Originally Posted by Dawg61
The fourth player I put a ? behind their names. Can you not figure out what that means yourself? And I'll bet you all my VCash Devonta Pollard is better than Ndoye and/or Black.

You've gone full mental Engie. Where in my post did I say Pollard was/is a 5? What I said as you can clearly see is that Pollard is better than Ndoye and Black. Malik Newman doesn't play the 5 either. Is he better than Ndoye? Why does a player have to play the same position to compare them to another player? Would you rather have Malik Newman or Fallou Ndoye? You're like the Benjamin Button of logic.

drunkernhelldawg
04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Wow. So I've learned from this thread that Pollard is a terrible player; he's not even good enough to improve our dismal team. I hope he gets smart and gives the game up for blackjack or something.

smootness
04-16-2014, 04:11 PM
You are foolish if you think Pollard isn't talented. I think He would start at MSU.

Based on what, outside of the fact that people thought he was a 5-star talent coming out of HS?

He didn't show much at Alabama, and he didn't light the world on fire in JUCO, and now his JUCO coach has said he needs to work on things before he can play high-major basketball.

So what else do we have since he left HS to tell us he's very talented and would start for us right away?

Irondawg
04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Basically he's a great athlete who is a tweener at the higher level and doesn't have the size to play the post or the skills to play on the wing.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Basically he's a great athlete who is a tweener at the higher level and doesn't have the size to play the post or the skills to play on the wing.

This man nails it. Pollard in no way, shape, or form could start for us. Think about this- he didn't make a 3 all year in juco- and is too weak to play the 4.

HailState39110
04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
I could see Pollard go to Troy and average 8 and 4 , play in Europe for a few years making 150k a year then hang it up. That's about the extent of his ability

thf24
04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
By signing Pollard, we'd just be adding another undersized power forward. It baffles me how the same posters who complained endlessly about our lack of shooting and skill last year are now talking about how Pollard would start and help us tremendously.

He's extremely talented, no doubt. But there are two kinds of talent; talent through athleticism and talent through skill. Pollard has a ton of the former, but his college career thus far clearly shows he's lacking in the latter.

Moot point anyway since we've already filled that precious 13th spot.

whosyourdawgy
04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Call me stupid if you want, but we don't need Pollard. I am much happier with the Zappardo signing than I would've been with Pollard. This team needs somebody that can shoot it consistently outside of 10 feet. All indications are that the new kid can do that. We don't need another guy that can only shoot in the paint. I know Pollard fires up a few 3's here and there, but so does Chicken, and I cringe everytime he shoots one(I had never seen anyone bank in a 3 pointer from the corner until last season). I hope Pollard lands somewhere good, but I'm not upset one bit he won't be a Bulldog

tcdog70
04-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Call me stupid if you want, but we don't need Pollard. I am much happier with the Zappardo signing than I would've been with Pollard. This team needs somebody that can shoot it consistently outside of 10 feet. All indications are that the new kid can do that. We don't need another guy that can only shoot in the paint. I know Pollard fires up a few 3's here and there, but so does Chicken, and I cringe everytime he shoots one(I had never seen anyone bank in a 3 pointer from the corner until last season). I hope Pollard lands somewhere good, but I'm not upset one bit he won't be a Bulldog

Ok , I'll be the first you are stupid

Coach34
04-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Let me reiterate:

Pollard didnt make 1 single 3-ball this past year in juco
Zapp shot 42% from 3

Coach34
04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

What has Pollard showed you in two years of college basketball that he is an SEC player?

He did nothing at Bama and was nothing special in juco

thf24
04-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Just confirm this for me to make sure I'm understanding correctly. After struggling through dismal shooting and broken paint defense due to poor post depth last year, you would rather have a guy who improves neither over a guy who improves both? Because that's exactly what you're saying by calling dawgy stupid for that post.

whosyourdawgy
04-16-2014, 07:32 PM
What has Pollard showed you in two years of college basketball that he is an SEC player?

He did nothing at Bama and was nothing special in juco

He can dunk! And he can catch alley oops and dunk! Um, I don't have anything else

thf24
04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
He can dunk! And he can catch alley oops and dunk! Um, I don't have anything else

Yeah! Just like Bear Wilson! I'm sure he'd be able to beat out Bear for his 4 minutes a game.

Coach34
04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
I see tcdog went to Sixpack and tried to drum up support for Pollard there. Still waiting on what he has done in college- 2 years of college mind you- that makes him think he is a big talent

engie
04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
I see tcdog went to Sixpack and tried to drum up support for Pollard there. Still waiting on what he has done in college- 2 years of college mind you- that makes him think he is a big talent

I love how not only he went insecure trying to take it elsewhere -- but he left out every semblance of fact with Pollard's production...

smootness
04-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Do people honestly believe that Pollard is truly a 5-star basketball player, yet we signed Johnny Zuppardo over him? Why would we do that? Do people honestly believe Rick Ray is completely clueless?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Do people honestly believe that Pollard is truly a 5-star basketball player, yet we signed Johnny Zuppardo over him? Why would we do that? Do people honestly believe Rick Ray is completely clueless?

He hasn't done anything to make me think otherwise.

engie
04-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Which 2 of these 3 would you prefer as your power forwards? All stats are "second year" JUCO stats. Here's a hint -- 2 are the guys we've signed in the past 2 classes that people have widely complained about -- the 3rd is Pollard.

A)
11.9 PPG
19.6 PP40
7.2 RPG
2.2 APG
73.4% FT
52.2% FG
28.6% 3P
14 blocks
29 steals
1.0 A/TO %

B)
12.0 PPG
? PP40
6.3 RPG
1.0 APG
64% FT
59.4% FG
0.0% 3P(0-2)
24 blocks
28 steals
0.6 A/TO %

C)
15.2 PPG
30.7 PP40
6.9 RPG
0.8 APG
75.7% FT
61.7% FG
43.3% 3P(29-67)
26 blocks
33 steals
0.4 A/TO %

OBVIOUSLY one 5* and a couple shitty, no-name 3*s***

Coach34
04-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Kevin Stallings disagrees

smootness
04-17-2014, 09:38 AM

Then I don't know what to tell you. The fact that he didn't do anything for Alabama and then averaged 3.5 fewer points and over 1 fewer rebound at EMCC than Colin Borchert did tells me he isn't a 5-star basketball player.

But if you think someone's opinion of how his game would translate to the next level before he ever tried it is more valuable than that, go for it.

Coach34
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Which 2 of these 3 would you prefer as your power forwards? All stats are "second year" JUCO stats. Here's a hint -- 2 are the guys we've signed in the past 2 classes that people have widely complained about -- the 3rd is Pollard.

A)
11.9 PPG
19.6 PP40
7.2 RPG
2.2 APG
73.4% FT
52.2% FG
28.6% 3P
14 blocks
29 steals
1.0 A/TO %

B)
12.0 PPG
? PP40
6.3 RPG
1.0 APG
64% FT
59.4% FG
0.0% 3P(0-2)
24 blocks
28 steals
0.6 A/TO %

C)
15.2 PPG
30.7 PP40
6.9 RPG
0.8 APG
75.7% FT
61.7% FG
43.3% 3P(29-67)
26 blocks
33 steals
0.4 A/TO %

OBVIOUSLY one 5* and a couple shitty, no-name 3*s***

Obviously 5-star Pollard is B

He is the worst rebounder and cant make a 3. Also the worst FT shooter of the bunch. But of course because Stands once recruited him- thats who some of our fans want. Nobody worth a shit has offered him- but thats who some of our fans want. Amazing

I also liked seeing Daniels averaged over 2 assists per game- apparently he is a solid passer and knows where to get the ball.

quickstrike2
04-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Kevin Stallings disagrees

Trent Johnson agrees. All for giving Ray a fair chance, but let's not give credit for one particular win, and not credit for the particular bad losses.

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 10:40 AM

too bad you can't got to sixpack with your stupid basketball shit.

Irondawg
04-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Forget everything else, the simple question is would getting Pollard help us win basketball games the next two years? From my limited information I'd have to say he wouldn't help anymore than anybody else we have. I'm sure the coaching staff looked at a bunch of film and probably saw him play in person. Also note that often these coaches take the opinion of their JUCO coach into account and it's clear the JUCO coach (who is quite well respected by the way) doesn't think he can really impact a higher end D1 team.

Would it be a publicity win - sure. But isn't that what we bash OM here for all the time? Overhyped recruits that don't really live up to their ratings.

Look nobody is happy with baskeball and even most Ray defenders are firmly in his corner b/c other than cleaning up the attitudes, he hasn't done a whole lot. But sometimes you have to endure the purge. We did it with football and we can do it with basketball. Ray has to prove that he's the guy than can turn it around and he has this year and this class to earn more time. If he flames out with both then about this time next year we'll be talking about potential coaching hires.

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 10:51 AM

I have no problem with Zuppardo. But why bash Pollard? I am glad we will sign JZ. the only reason to bash Pollard is because he is associated with Stansbury. But to try and say DP is not Talented is asinine. When this board gets dull, 34 puts up some basketball shit to stir it up.

smootness
04-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Oh, you were trying to say that Ray hasn't done anything to make you think he isn't clueless? What a tool.

Yeah, he's managed to work his way into a head coaching job at an SEC school after being an assistant at other high-major programs under good coaches, I'm sure the guy is clueless.

I'm not saying that means everything he does must be the best decision, but if Pollard were truly a 5-star, it would be obvious to anyone who isn't a complete moron about basketball. Yet clearly there are a lot of coaches, Ray included, who don't think he is.

smootness
04-17-2014, 10:52 AM
I have no problem with Zuppardo. But why bash Pollard? I am glad we will sign JZ. the only reason to bash Pollard is because he is associated with Stansbury. But to try and say DP is not Talented is asinine. When this board gets dull, 34 puts up some basketball shit to stir it up.

No one is bashing Pollard. But you're still operating under the assumption that he is super talented and would instantly be an impact guy in the SEC. I think that assumption is wrong, and that's why we're talking about it.

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
I love how not only he went insecure trying to take it elsewhere -- but he left out every semblance of fact with Pollard's production...

if I could only be like You? A stupid stat for every agrument. Even if it make no sense. Pollard is an excellent talent, Ray Charles can see that. his Coach in the article said he was extremely talented but he needed to work on his ball handling skills. hell, Zimmerman, Bowers , Wiley peck and Rhodes are some players that didn't have great stats till their last two years. I guess you would have wanted them thrown off the team. praise JZ just don't slam DP with stupid ass stats it only makes you look argumentative and cluless. "Stats are for Losers" I believe they were talking to You.

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Just confirm this for me to make sure I'm understanding correctly. After struggling through dismal shooting and broken paint defense due to poor post depth last year, you would rather have a guy who improves neither over a guy who improves both? Because that's exactly what you're saying by calling dawgy stupid for that post.

you have not seen either play, how the **** can you say this.How do you know Pollard can't defend? Look, I am glad we will sign JZ, I just don't like stupid bashing of Pollard for an anti-Stansbury agenda.

engie
04-17-2014, 11:06 AM
if I could only be like You? A stupid stat for every agrument. Even if it make no sense. Pollard is an excellent talent, Ray Charles can see that. his Coach in the article said he was extremely talented but he needed to work on his ball handling skills. hell, Zimmerman, Bowers , Wiley peck and Rhodes are some players that didn't have great stats till their last two years. I guess you would have wanted them thrown off the team. praise JZ just don't slam DP with stupid ass stats it only makes you look argumentative and cluless. "Stats are for Losers" I believe they were talking to You.

How many EMCC games did you catch in person last year? Everyone can see how excellent Pollard is -- yet his only decent offer is Ole Miss? Where is he committing to? Everyone is obviously knocking down his door? Obviously, he gets 5 official visits again -- how many has he taken? Oh, none you say? Hmmmmm....

You are a moron... Not that it's a new development. "Stats are stupid, I have my eyes". Jesus Christ.

Look -- if you want to make the argument for Josh Gray -- fine -- I'm all ears on that one. I think he has potential to be great. But it's frigging clear to ANYONE WITH A CLUE at this point that Pollard simply is NOT a 5* top 20 player in the country. He's more like your average 3*. The fact that you compare him to some MSU greats just furthers the agenda-skew. He's shown NOTHING. The same guy that was more highly rated than Rodney Hood. And you STILL think he's that -- despite proving to us over two FULL SEASONS at two different spots that he isn't?

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Engie- thanks for name calling.Taking the Lord's name in vain also shows you are a sick person. I've been to some Scooba games last year.When your idiot stats don't work-- call people names and then for some spice throw out a few blasphemes i stand by my claim that you are a loser and your actions backs it up. No stupid Stats but here are some highlights. Crawl back under your rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2tdPrXuI8

Coach34
04-17-2014, 11:39 AM
too bad you can't got to sixpack with your stupid basketball shit.

Lol- seriously? The site where I purposely stated I was making my last post? HD6 is like a Boss that says "quit? You can't quit- I'm firing you!!!"

Coach34
04-17-2014, 11:46 AM
And the love for Stands continues to be "cult-like". TC loves Stands soooo much, he is trying to now defend Pollard because Stands once recruited him. Pollard's own JC coach just told the world he wasn't good enough to play big time basketball, but by God ol TC gonna defend Stands thru Pollard. It's a sickness with you people. Truly amazing

engie
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Engie- thanks for name calling.Taking the Lord's name in vain also shows you are a sick person. I've been to some Scooba games last year.When your idiot stats don't work-- call people names and then for some spice throw out a few blasphemes i stand by my claim that you are a loser and your actions backs it up. No stupid Stats but here are some highlights. Crawl back under your rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2tdPrXuI8

12 Dunks, 3 blocks, 3 layups, and 4 WIDE OPEN jump shots.

Hell, I'm sold. That's a top 20 player in the country** He's so great -- NO SITE has even updated him a JUCO recruiting profile. They must know he's NBA bound**

Kentucky is beating down the door!!11!1. Hell, he's taking Bosh's spot in Miami next year!!1!1

You are arguably the dumbest basketball poster here -- and that's saying something.

Nice job trying to deflect my comment religiously though. That's when you know someone is defeated. "Lord's name in vain" -- yeah right.

engie
04-17-2014, 11:57 AM
It's funny how you idiots deflect instead of discussing reality.

IF Pollard is who you say he is -- where's he signing? If he's one of the best players in the country -- this should be easy as shit to show where everyone is chasing him on hundreds of Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, and North Carolina message boards...

Coach34
04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure his Ole Missed offer is commitable- it wasn't even listed. It looks like his best offer is Troy

engie
04-17-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure his Ole Missed offer is commitable- it wasn't even listed. It looks like his best offer is Troy

He ends up with Cunningham -- Ray is an idiot.
We pull a guy that had offers from Washington and Greg Marshall -- Ray is an idiot.

Got it**

thf24
04-17-2014, 12:27 PM
you have not seen either play, how the **** can you say this.How do you know Pollard can't defend? Look, I am glad we will sign JZ, I just don't like stupid bashing of Pollard for an anti-Stansbury agenda.

Do you realize you're the only one who has mentioned Stansbury in this thread, aside from C34's original post in which he mentioned him in a neutral context? Or that you try to bring Stansbury into these basketball pissing matches way more than any alleged "anti-Stansbury" poster? Who is the obsessed one again?

And why do you keep assuming I, or anyone else with criticisms, haven't seen Pollard play? There's this thing called the Internet on which you can find these things known as video recordings, in case you weren't aware.

drunkernhelldawg
04-17-2014, 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2tdPrXuI8.

Hate to say it, but that's more highlights than our whole team produced last season. Seemed very quick to the basket to me. Confident. Of course, the lowlights aren't part of the tape . . .

smootness
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I just don't like stupid bashing of Pollard for an anti-Stansbury agenda.

It's not an anti-Stansbury agenda! I was the biggest Stans supporter in the world, I don't even know what Pollard has to do with Stans.

I'm trying to defend Ray's lack of pursuing Pollard. Based on everything I've seen, it's justified.

drunkernhelldawg
04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
It's not an anti-Stansbury agenda! I was the biggest Stans supporter in the world, I don't even know what Pollard has to do with Stans.

I'm trying to defend Ray's lack of pursuing Pollard. Based on everything I've seen, it's justified.

I don't know anything about it, but it looks to me like it's based more of the potential problems of a case like his than on basketball analysis. Ray has a full plate already.

tcdog70
04-17-2014, 02:02 PM
12 Dunks, 3 blocks, 3 layups, and 4 WIDE OPEN jump shots.

Hell, I'm sold. That's a top 20 player in the country** He's so great -- NO SITE has even updated him a JUCO recruiting profile. They must know he's NBA bound**

Kentucky is beating down the door!!11!1. Hell, he's taking Bosh's spot in Miami next year!!1!1

You are arguably the dumbest basketball poster here -- and that's saying something.

Nice job trying to deflect my comment religiously though. That's when you know someone is defeated. "Lord's name in vain" -- yeah right.

that is between you and the Lord. i really don't care if you go to Hell. this comes from the Man who was all about Ray being a great X and O coach and wanted Me to discuss game to game Rays coaching strategy. but after Ray and the Dogs went into the shitter and set a record for losses and was at the bottom of every SEC stat, I never heard back from You. I could call you the biggest ASSHOLE but that sort of goes without saying. You were also a big Josh Gray basher, but it looks like you might be crawfishing on that stance. Being 34 Jr must be a hellofa Goal, keep on you will soon be there.

Dawg61
04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
What does it take for some of y'all to realize we are a ****ing awful basketball program and Scott Stricklin totally jobbed us all so he could save a buck for a couple years? Too many of you are too loyal to a fault and need the ship to be sitting on the floor of the ocean before you realize it's sinking. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. We will have to suffer through 5-6 years of this bullshit before you finally ****ing get it. Wake the **** up!! Our AD hired an absolute no name assistant whose signing non-qualifiers and after thoughts. We can't shoot for shit and we play the worst post defense I've ever seen. Ray kicks off players left and right that he didn't sign and has starters bolting half-way through their freshman season. We lost to a winless TCU team at home and without their best player. Yet throughout everything y'all continue to back the hire like it's your ****ing son or best friend. None of us owe Brick Ray ANYTHING. The man has made a fortune off MSU already. Over $2 million dollars and counting. Demand better from our Athletic Director and basketball coach or we'll stay in the pits of basketball hell for perpetuity.