PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Chappelle

MaxedOutMaroon
04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I have not notice this mentioned on here if it has I'm sorry. But chappelle's Mississippi state career is over. I talk to him yesterday, and he said that he didn't want to leave because we are going to be really good and it is a lot of fun here. He just was not getting enough snaps for it to be worth it. He is about to be a senior and is looking to transfer to a smaller school, mentioned Henderson state. I realize we have a lot of depth at this position, but two things bother me about it. 1) he's a great guy, probably deserves more personally than a lot of other players 2) his exact words "I went to Mullen's office just to see if he would understand where I was coming from and try to look at getting me in more. But you just cannot get through to a guy like that."

smootness
04-16-2014, 09:40 AM
but two things bother me about it. 1) he's a great guy, probably deserves more personally than a lot of other players 2) his exact words "I went to Mullen's office just to see if he would understand where I was coming from and try to look at getting me in more. But you just cannot get through to a guy like that."

I'll be honest; without any further information, I don't have a problem with this. I hate that Chappelle left because I think he would have helped this year and he does seem like a good guy...but if by 'getting through' to Mullen he means playing him more because he asked, then that's kind of crazy - I would hope our coach doesn't make decisions on playing time based on who requested it.

And I have no doubts that he's a great guy, but that doesn't mean he deserves playing time over someone else.

But I have nothing personal against Chappelle for his decision, that's for sure. I wish him well.

Political Hack
04-16-2014, 09:41 AM
hate it for him. Especially considering he's a SR. it's not like losing him at this point helps us in any way, shape, or form so I can't imagine CDM just pushing him out for any reason. By all accounts he's a great young man.

If he wants to catch 100 balls it's clearly not going to happen, but the game rotations will be much different than the practice rotations. also, any injuries and he becomes exponentially more important in the rotation because he can play multiple spots. Not all of our guys can do that. Wish he'd reconsider, but I can understand beig a Sr and wanting to be the go-to guy at a smaller school rather than a role player at a bigger one.

Goat Holder
04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I wish he'd stay. I mean, it is what it is. If he can't play for us, why continue your career when it's unlikely you'll get into the NFL? Get your degree and enjoy being on a good team and you may get an opportunity. He made some good catches for us last year. But I'll never fault a guy for not giving up on a dream, if that's what they want to do.

engie
04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Hate to be the one to say it -- but he isn't going to be the last one. There just isn't any more "obvious" fat that needs trimming on the roster -- and we're still going to have to lose a couple more guys -- and every single one of them is going to suck to lose in some way...

Current roster: ~71 scholarship players after Chappelle is done --- that's including Arrington and Bohanna
Incoming: 21 signees

That puts us at 92 as of today assuming all the signees make it. Obviously, a couple of them are going to be placement guys even if they technically "make it"... We have to be at 85 by August. A few more roster spots are going to have to be opened up...

HoopsDawg
04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
hate it for him. Especially considering he's a SR. it's not like losing him at this point helps us in any way, shape, or form so I can't imagine CDM just pushing him out for any reason. By all accounts he's a great young man.

If he wants to catch 100 balls it's clearly not going to happen, but the game rotations will be much different than the practice rotations. also, any injuries and he becomes exponentially more important in the rotation because he can play multiple spots. Not all of our guys can do that. Wish he'd reconsider, but I can understand beig a Sr and wanting to be the go-to guy at a smaller school rather than a role player at a bigger one.

Actually, we needed to lose 2 scholarship players to have room for the incoming class so it does help in that regard. Chappelle helped us sign Will Coleman and he did seem to love MSU so I hate it for him, but I don't blame him b/c he just couldn't crack the 2 deep.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
This is the tough business that is college football. We actually need some attrition for some of the new guys. We could have kept Chappelle and divided snaps between him and Graham- slowing Graham's growth. Or we could go ahead and eliminate Chappelle and go with the young guy with a higher ceiling getting more reps to get ready to play.

With Tubby there, I would have been ok with keeping Chap and redshirting Graham. But with Tubby being a Sr- there is nothing wrong with getting Graham some reps here and there in games and getting him experience for 2015- especially with Graham's higher ceiling as a player.

MSUMatt
04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
He didn't give you the full story. There were a couple of other things at play as well.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Although I like Chappelle a lot, I agree with you guys. I think no doubt he was one of, if not the best blocking receiver we had, with good hands as well. He did say he was just trying to go somewhere he could get film and a pro day, which I don't understand at all. I'm assuming he could get that here on a good team and have a lot of fun. It is really hard for college athletes to get past that I want to be the go to guy and in the nfl.

Goat Holder
04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Damein Robinson and Archie Muniz would be an easy ones to cut IMO. What a waste. Freshmen would be better served in those roles because one, they are better players, and two, they could help us build depth for next season.

engie
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
This is the tough business that is college football. We actually need some attrition for some of the new guys. We could have kept Chappelle and divided snaps between him and Graham- slowing Graham's growth. Or we could go ahead and eliminate Chappelle and go with the young guy with a higher ceiling getting more reps to get ready to play.

With Tubby there, I would have been ok with keeping Chap and redshirting Graham. But with Tubby being a Sr- there is nothing wrong with getting Graham some reps here and there in games and getting him experience for 2015- especially with Graham's higher ceiling as a player.

We were never redshirting Graham IMO. It's simply a matter of what happens beyond 2014. Redshirting him would be creating a situation where you likely bring back zero or next to zero game experience in the slot for Dak's senior year. That's a very important position to see a smooth transition from Lewis to someone...

quickstrike2
04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
That sucks. I thought when we landed him, he could come in and help. It is the nature of the beast however, and if you can't beat the guys out ahead of you then it is what it is. Just asking CDM for more playing time isn't magically going to work, I have no problem with CDM telling him no basically.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
He didn't give you the full story. There were a couple of other things at play as well.

I did not want to question too much and be pushy but I am assuming you are right

smootness
04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
We were never redshirting Graham IMO. It's simply a matter of what happens beyond 2014. Redshirting him would be creating a situation where you likely bring back zero or next to zero game experience in the slot for Dak's senior year. That's a very important position to see a smooth transition from Lewis to someone...

Especially with the number of slot guys we're bringing in for 2015. If he doesn't redshirt, that makes he and Gray both sophomores in 2015 to go with Thomas and probably Dear as freshmen.

If he does redshirt, not only would we have no experience, but you'd have a logjam of freshman slot guys.

engie
04-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Especially with the number of slot guys we're bringing in for 2015. If he doesn't redshirt, that makes he and Gray both sophomores in 2015 to go with Thomas and probably Dear as freshmen.

If he does redshirt, not only would we have no experience, but you'd have a logjam of freshman slot guys.

Yep, Graham is playing next year -- and probably going to be #2 in the slot behind Tubby at some point during the season depending on how quickly he figures it out. Then, he'll be "the guy" for the beginning of his soph season until Gray gets up to speed and they have a "fair" position battle. Then, we should be set at slot receiver going forward for quite some time...

Coach34
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Tubby's going to play 90% of the snaps regardless. Had Chappelle stayed- he and Myles would have divided reps and just wouldnt have been any for Graham.

But I think that's the point- we dont want to RS Graham- and somebody had to go. That puts Chappelle on the outside looking in. Now we'll have Graham and Myles grabbing those blowout and quick rest for Tubby reps.

Goat Holder
04-16-2014, 10:10 AM
It is really hard for college athletes to get past that I want to be the go to guy and in the nfl.

That is absolutely true. Especially in basketball. And it's what's driving the whole 'pay for play' deal. They don't realize the educational opportunities they are getting.

Big4Dawg
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Yep, Graham is playing next year -- and probably going to be #2 in the slot behind Tubby at some point during the season depending on how quickly he figures it out. Then, he'll be "the guy" for the beginning of his soph season until Gray gets up to speed and they have a "fair" position battle. Then, we should be set at slot receiver going forward for quite some time...

Gray is a December grad and also has 3 to play 3, as he was hurt last year and was red shirted. That'll be an interesting battle.

AlSwearengen
04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
We singed Chappelle after we missed out on a couple of other juco wr's if my memory is correct. In the SEC, that situation usually leads to signing a role player. Probably best for him and us in the grand scheme of things.

smootness
04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
That is absolutely true. Especially in basketball. And it's what's driving the whole 'pay for play' deal. They don't realize the educational opportunities they are getting.

Yep, and it's also what is driving the number of basketball transfers. It's crazy - there are 60 draft slots each year into the NBA, and a decent chunk of those 60 won't even make an NBA roster. Then you have probably 10+ most years that are international guys, and most of the lottery plus some of the rest of the 1st round are the no-doubt guys who everyone knows will be high draft picks from the time they're juniors in HS.

So you have maybe 40 (and that's probably generous) spots in the draft for guys who stay 2+ years in college, and no more than probably 25 of those will actually make an NBA roster. Yet you have something like 400+ guys transferring every year. Sure, some of those transfers are for non-basketball reasons, but a large majority are because the player feels like he can get a better opportunity elsewhere, be 'the man', and go pro. It's nuts.

Take the Delks, for instance. They apparently believed they were destined for the NBA and somehow we were keeping them down, when in reality they just weren't that great. Richard actually said that the reason he transferred to Troy was to make the NBA. Dude, you're having to transfer to Troy - that's probably not a realistic goal.

engie
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
We singed Chappelle after we missed out on a couple of other juco wr's if my memory is correct. In the SEC, that situation usually leads to signing a role player. Probably best for him and us in the grand scheme of things.

Correct. Got him after missing on both Leslie and Rumph...and after it was becoming clear we might miss on Corey Smith...

HoopsDawg
04-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Hate to be the one to say it -- but he isn't going to be the last one. There just isn't any more "obvious" fat that needs trimming on the roster -- and we're still going to have to lose a couple more guys -- and every single one of them is going to suck to lose in some way...

Current roster: ~71 scholarship players after Chappelle is done --- that's including Arrington and Bohanna
Incoming: 21 signees

That puts us at 92 as of today assuming all the signees make it. Obviously, a couple of them are going to be placement guys even if they technically "make it"... We have to be at 85 by August. A few more roster spots are going to have to be opened up...

FYI: We have 16 open spots, and 18 incoming signees. we need 2 more players to leave.

engie
04-16-2014, 10:44 AM
FYI: We have 16 open spots, and 18 incoming signees. we need 2 more players to leave.

Feel free to count it out for me instead of listening to whoever you heard it from... Because I did exactly that...

smootness
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I also count 71 on the spring roster, if both Beckwith and Trent Simpson are on scholarship. And it does include Arrington, Bohanna, and Christian Holmes.

But obviously that includes both Fitzgerald and Jocquell Johnson as well; then if you take Pierce out since we know he's going JUCO, I'm at the 21 signee number engie has.

I'm pretty sure we know Cochran is JUCO as well, so that's 20. I'm pretty sure Jordan Harris is going JUCO, too, and I remember a discussion with someone about a potential greyshirt. So that would bring the signee number to the 18 that HoopsDawg has.

But I still count 4 that need to go unless Hoops knows something I don't. I don't think it will be that difficult, though. We have some players who have been walk-ons before, we could choose not to renew the scholarship. And we have a couple that may not play football anymore.

HoopsDawg
04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Damein Robinson and Archie Muniz would be an easy ones to cut IMO. What a waste. Freshmen would be better served in those roles because one, they are better players, and two, they could help us build depth for next season.

As of right now, Robinson is our starting RT and Muniz is our 2nd center. Also, we have almost zero depth on the O-line. So no, they would not be easy ones to cut.

HoopsDawg
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
I also count 71 on the spring roster, if both Beckwith and Trent Simpson are on scholarship. And it does include Arrington, Bohanna, and Christian Holmes.

But obviously that includes both Fitzgerald and Jocquell Johnson as well; then if you take Pierce out since we know he's going JUCO, I'm at the 21 signee number engie has.

I'm pretty sure we know Cochran is JUCO as well, so that's 20. I'm pretty sure Jordan Harris is going JUCO, too, and I remember a discussion with someone about a potential greyshirt. So that would bring the signee number to the 18 that HoopsDawg has.

But I still count 4 that need to go unless Hoops knows something I don't. I don't think it will be that difficult, though. We have some players who have been walk-ons before, we could choose not to renew the scholarship. And we have a couple that may not play football anymore.

You can subtract Arrington, Harrison, and Bohanna from that spring roster.

Pierce, Harris, and Durr are unlikely to qualify and Cochran is a grayshirt. Fitzgerald and Joc Johnson have already enrolled. So that's just 18 incoming players. Cooper has work to do as well.

smootness
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
You can subtract Arrington, Harrison, and Bohanna from that spring roster.

Pierce, Harris, and Durr are unlikely to qualify and Cochran is a grayshirt. Fitzgerald and Joc Johnson have already enrolled. So that's just 18 incoming players. Cooper has work to do as well.

If Arrington, Harrison, and Bohanna are indeed gone, then that is only one spot we'd have to clear.

thedawg
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM
It would be beneficial for our team if Arrington wasnt deleted.. If he can get healthy he can play... I would say its still 50/50 on him... He didnt respond in a way they would have like through the winter but it aint over.. If you remember we almost gave up on Marcus Green and that hip finally got right and he was very productive when he got healthy

DCdawg
04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Is Gabe Myles not gonna be number 2 behind Tubby in the slot? Could still give Graham a chance to redshirt. Maybe he doesn't need to, just a thought.

sleepy dawg
04-16-2014, 02:55 PM
I have not notice this mentioned on here if it has I'm sorry. But chappelle's Mississippi state career is over. I talk to him yesterday, and he said that he didn't want to leave because we are going to be really good and it is a lot of fun here. He just was not getting enough snaps for it to be worth it. He is about to be a senior and is looking to transfer to a smaller school, mentioned Henderson state. I realize we have a lot of depth at this position, but two things bother me about it. 1) he's a great guy, probably deserves more personally than a lot of other players 2) his exact words "I went to Mullen's office just to see if he would understand where I was coming from and try to look at getting me in more. But you just cannot get through to a guy like that."

Being a great guy means jack shit when it comes to playing time. I really, really hate to see Jeremy go, but your reasons have nothing to do with why a guy should get more playing time unless you play peewee ball in California... everybody else is trying to win.

HoopsDawg
04-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Is Gabe Myles not gonna be number 2 behind Tubby in the slot? Could still give Graham a chance to redshirt. Maybe he doesn't need to, just a thought.

There are some players that you need to play to keep them involved in the program. In other words, there are just some players that even though they would benefit from a redshirt, you still need to play them. That may be the case with Graham. Yes, Myles is #2 and Holloway can play there some if needed. I would actually like to see Ross learn the slot as well. He is a player. Hopefully he will get equal minutes with Rojo.

sandwolf
04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Jordan Harris is going JUCO, too

Per Steve, Harris is headed to JUCO (Georgia Military) and will graduate in December of 2015.

Goat Holder
04-16-2014, 03:34 PM
We need to load up on OL in this 2015 class and then be prepared to go JUCO for at least 1-2.

drunkernhelldawg
04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
The second hand Mullen quote in this thread is the thing that sticks in my mind. I realize that fans dehumanize players, but I'd hate to think that coaches make this intellectual and emotional blunder too. Maybe that's why some of the best coaches had long stints as high school coaches first.

deltadawg99
04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
I hate it for him, but what did he want Mullen to do? The best players are the ones that play, end of conversation.

This isn't the Croom era where you get to play for being a good kid.

Certainly wish him the best of luck.

mstatefan91
04-16-2014, 03:59 PM
The second hand Mullen quote in this thread is the thing that sticks in my mind. I realize that fans dehumanize players, but I'd hate to think that coaches make this intellectual and emotional blunder too. Maybe that's why some of the best coaches had long stints as high school coaches first.

If you aren't good enough then you aren't good enough. No hard feelings. Just the way it is. I wish Chappelle the best of luck.