PDA

View Full Version : Regarding our baseball lineup tonight

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I don't know what changes there are going to be- but if you as Joe Fan are expecting to see totally different people you might be disappointed.

That's not to say that there won't be different people- but we may very well see some guys like Rea, Britton, and Detz starting. Like I said, I don't know.

BUT what I do think will be different is the approach about how we go about doing things.

We shall see, but I'm forewarning everyone because I'm sure when they see someone like Rea in the lineup some people are going to be going "what are the changes?"

engie
04-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Yeah -- I'm fully expecting to see people start, but have their asses put on the bench for lack of hustle plays, bad swings/ab's, etc... I expect it to be intense bastard for awhile... And that seems to be what this bunch of guys that have gone soft need..

Goat Holder
04-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, anybody expecting Rea or Detz to be benched are out of their minds delusional. It simply isn't happening. We all need to embrace the horror that, gulp, our season rides on those two guys, Bradford the other seniors stepping up (besides Pirtle and Armstrong). At least offensively. If the younger guys haven't made an impression yet, they won't, at least not this season. Collins has proven he needs to be in there, but that's about it.

That said, I don't understand the reluctance to play certain players such as Henderson (full-time) and Garner after he went 4-4 (I know he's looked bad recently, but 4-4 gets you some leeway IMO). But I've also noticed that Cohen has a reason for doing everything he does, and it's usually a good one. See Trey Porter last year. Garner reminds me a lot of him, actually.

bulldogcountry1
04-15-2014, 04:00 PM
The only thing that would surprise me is if the lineup matched any of his previous 37 lineups. I saw Saturday that we had used 36 different lineups in 36 games. I'm pretty sure Sunday's was unique as well. What the hell is that all about? I can see trying different things before SEC play starts, but we are halfway through conference play now, and we are still getting something new every day (besides results). It would seem that someone would have to purposefully put in a lot of effort to pull of such an ADD move. It's as if Cohen just has to meddle with something every game because an element wasn't executed perfectly or it didn't work out like he wanted.

That said, I don't expect any Breaking Bad-esque twists to the lineup tonight. It's not like we have a secret weapon to unleash. I just want to see a big change in how the game is played AND managed. I think that's what he meant by changes.

Goat Holder
04-15-2014, 04:04 PM
I used to share in this opinion but Cohen has shown numerous times that when his 'style' is clicking, our teams play above their talent level. And that's about all you can ask. I don't have a problem with his hitting approach, my beef is more with the base-running blunders. While I know it's by design, I still think most of the stupidity is on dumbass Mingione.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 04:19 PM
The only thing that would surprise me is if the lineup matched any of his previous 37 lineups. I saw Saturday that we had used 36 different lineups in 36 games. I'm pretty sure Sunday's was unique as well. What the hell is that all about? I can see trying different things before SEC play starts, but we are halfway through conference play now, and we are still getting something new every day (besides results). It would seem that someone would have to purposefully put in a lot of effort to pull of such an ADD move. It's as if Cohen just has to meddle with something every game because an element wasn't executed perfectly or it didn't work out like he wanted.

That said, I don't expect any Breaking Bad-esque twists to the lineup tonight. It's not like we have a secret weapon to unleash. I just want to see a big change in how the game is played AND managed. I think that's what he meant by changes.

I'm not exactly sure why our fans think it's important to have the exact same lineup every single time. I'm guessing because Polk advocated that for years. The reality is this though- players go through peaks and valleys and slumps. It doesn't make any sense to me to play a guy that is slumping at leadoff, third, fourth, etc. just because you are trying to get him into "rhythm" if they are slumping like Rea.

bulldogcountry1
04-15-2014, 04:23 PM
There's a big gap between have the same lineup every night and a completely different one every single game.

Tbonewannabe
04-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I used to share in this opinion but Cohen has shown numerous times that when his 'style' is clicking, our teams play above their talent level. And that's about all you can ask. I don't have a problem with his hitting approach, my beef is more with the base-running blunders. While I know it's by design, I still think most of the stupidity is on dumbass Mingione.

Holding up Vickerson at 2nd nearly cost us the game. He would have made 3rd standing up with no outs. Vickerson was around 2nd with the Rightfielder picking up the ball in the corner. UM would have had to make 2 perfect throws to get Vickerson out and even then he probably would have been safe. It was all on Mingione. Vickerson looked surprised to be held up, I know I was.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 04:28 PM
There's a big gap between have the same lineup every night and a completely different one every single game.

So you would rather keep playing struggling people in the same spot every game or people that don't hit a certain handed pitcher well in the same spot regardless? That doesn't make any sense.

We may have been getting the same results every game with a different lineup, but at least Cohen is TRYING to find something that works. As opposed to waiting for them to get into "rhythm".

Playing the same lineup every single game also doesn't help to build depth.

engie
04-15-2014, 04:32 PM
If you talk to Cohen at length, he's all about "putting players in their best position to be successful". He communicates with players constantly in attempt to do this -- and is open to hearing what they have to say.

If a player starts "feeling it" in a given situation -- I'm sure he could talk to Cohen about it and have him take it into account and not mess with it -- at least until that wave of confidence erodes...

Goat Holder
04-15-2014, 04:33 PM
I think most people, when they think about Cohen's lineups, are taken back by the changes at the very top and bottom, and playing certain people over others. But he's always going to play the core guys (Bradford, Detz, Rea). And Rea is not going to drop below 5th in the lineup.

So in essence, it isn't that he's changing the lineups because certain guys are slumping. He changes it due to matchups and God knows what else he comes up with. I think it's the opposite of what you're saying. He'll take our hottest hitter and put him on the bench sometimes.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I think most people, when they think about Cohen's lineups, are taken back by the changes at the very top and bottom, and playing certain people over others. But he's always going to play the core guys (Bradford, Detz, Rea). And Rea is not going to drop below 5th in the lineup.

So in essence, it isn't that he's changing the lineups because certain guys are slumping. He changes it due to matchups and God knows what else he comes up with. I think it's the opposite of what you're saying. He'll take our hottest hitter and put him on the bench sometimes.

Rea was hitting seventh during the first game of the Ole Miss series. I don't know of very many times when he has benched our hottest hitter. Derrick Armstrong was a platoon reserve guy and since he has been hot, he has been in the lineup everyday.

Lefthandersrule
04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
I beleive that the struggling starters have been brought in and told "last chance" after this weekend's showing. I know were going to see the Freshmen tonight on the mound and they will do just fine. We need to hit with runners in scoring position. Not base hit, ground into double play, base hit, then strikeout.

We have plenty of talent on this team but they do need to step it up!

smootness
04-15-2014, 05:11 PM
I beleive that the struggling starters have been brought in and told "last chance" after this weekend's showing.

I'm guessing you're right. I'm thinking he probably pointed to the #2 recruiting class and said, 'I've got plenty of talent to work with if you'd rather me play them'.

RAYn_Man
04-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Armstrong lf
Heck ss
Pirtle 2b
Collins c
Detz 1b
Humphreys 3b
Bradford cf
Garner dh
Hendu rf

engie
04-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Armstrong lf
Heck ss
Pirtle 2b
Collins c
Detz 1b
Humphreys 3b
Bradford cf
Garner dh
Hendu rf

I'd like that lineup with Hudson on the hill...

Unfortunately, here's what it actually is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlS8FYTIEAAk67Z.png

BulldogBear
04-15-2014, 05:58 PM
I'd like that lineup with Hudson on the hill...

Unfortunately, here's what it actually is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlS8FYTIEAAk67Z.png

Of course Henderson is not there.

bulldogcountry1
04-15-2014, 06:23 PM

This

A good example is Rea hit 7th on Friday. He was 1 for 4 with no RBIs and 3 LOB. Where did he hit Saturday? Back at cleanup. I guess he technically raised his average.

Bucky Dog
04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure why our fans think it's important to have the exact same lineup every single time. I'm guessing because Polk advocated that for years. The reality is this though- players go through peaks and valleys and slumps. It doesn't make any sense to me to play a guy that is slumping at leadoff, third, fourth, etc. just because you are trying to get him into "rhythm" if they are slumping like Rea.
The thing is consistency and the confidence of knowing you are going to be in the lineup, batting in a certain position and playing a certain position. If guys don't have the consistency they tend to press and not play relaxed. I'm not saying you can't rotate certain positions on a regular basis based on match ups or that if a player is in a slump you move him down or sit him a few games to get his head clear. Get a lineup and go with it. With over half the season gone you should have a pretty good idea.

engie
04-15-2014, 07:22 PM
The thing is consistency and the confidence of knowing you are going to be in the lineup, batting in a certain position and playing a certain position. If guys don't have the consistency they tend to press and not play relaxed. I'm not saying you can't rotate certain positions on a regular basis based on match ups or that if a player is in a slump you move him down or sit him a few games to get his head clear. Get a lineup and go with it. With over half the season gone you should have a pretty good idea.

For every person "consistency" helps -- there's another one that needs a constant kick in the ass.

How should we "have a pretty good idea" when we don't have a single damn hitter that's actually overperforming?

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Or sometimes they can get complacent because they know that they are in the lineup no matter what and then the other players don't focus because they know that they aren't going to play.

I want players that can handle creative tension. I want them to constantly compete for their job and perform. I don't want entitlement. When these guys get to pro baseball, they are going to have to deal with moving around in the batting order all the time- especially in the minors. And I dare any one of those players to go into their managers office and tell them "well, I'm more comfortable and relaxed in the clean up spot". That's a good way to end up hitting clean up- in an Independent League in the middle of nowhere.

Because the thing about it is this- every at bat no matter where you are hitting in the order is based on the current situation at hand. You might be the clean up hitter, but you may be leading off an inning. You might be in a situation where you need to hit the ball to the right side of the field, or where you need to hit a sac fly, etc. So really it shouldn't matter that much where you are hitting anyway.

Percho
04-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Or sometimes they can get complacent because they know that they are in the lineup no matter what and then the other players don't focus because they know that they aren't going to play.

I want players that can handle creative tension. I want them to constantly compete for their job and perform. I don't want entitlement. When these guys get to pro baseball, they are going to have to deal with moving around in the batting order all the time- especially in the minors. And I dare any one of those players to go into their managers office and tell them "well, I'm more comfortable and relaxed in the clean up spot". That's a good way to end up hitting clean up- in an Independent League in the middle of nowhere.

Because the thing about it is this- every at bat no matter where you are hitting in the order is based on the current situation at hand. You might be the clean up hitter, but you may be leading off an inning. You might be in a situation where you need to hit the ball to the right side of the field, or where you need to hit a sac fly, etc. So really it shouldn't matter that much where you are hitting anyway.

Good post. The lineup generally changes every inning.

engie
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Hump and Garner both about to get a chance...