PDA

View Full Version : Rick Stansbury to Tennessee?

Dawg61
04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Just got sent a text that Stansbury is on the initial short list for Tennessee. His name is in the hat.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Damn....that would be interesting. I thought him at Auburn wasn't a good fit, but UT actually has potential....he could recruit talent there, no problem.

BulldogDX55
04-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd rather have him at Tennessee. Keep his 'crootin as far from us as possible.

bluelightstar
04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
If you read Dana O'Neil's story on ESPN, she mentions a "currently unemployed coach" who has already inquired about the job. My initial thought was Stans.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Not a prayer

engie
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
There is no way you actually believe he has a chance in hell at the Tennessee job.

That's arguably the 3rd best basketball job in the SEC as of today. There will be some name people kicking down the door to get in there this time...

C222
04-15-2014, 03:05 PM
If you read Dana O'Neil's story on ESPN, she mentions a "currently unemployed coach" who has already inquired about the job. My initial thought was Stans.

She's probably referring to Ben Howland.

bluelightstar
04-15-2014, 03:10 PM
She's probably referring to Ben Howland.

Oh, I didn't think that's who she meant. I'm just saying, based off the Auburn opening, the coach I imagined calling within literal minutes of finding out about the opening was Stansbury.

Dawg61
04-15-2014, 03:16 PM
There is no way you actually believe he has a chance in hell at the Tennessee job.

That's arguably the 3rd best basketball job in the SEC as of today. There will be some name people kicking down the door to get in there this time...

The faster he gets his name in there (which he's already done) the more likely he is to land that job. Tennessee has shown a history of panicking their hires. I can totally see Stansbury lucking into that hire and if Tennessee looks the other way with him at the helm (they won't) they can land serious NBA talent.

C222
04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
The faster he gets his name in there (which he's already done) the more likely he is to land that job. Tennessee has shown a history of panicking their hires. I can totally see Stansbury lucking into that hire and if Tennessee looks the other way with him at the helm (they won't) they can land serious NBA talent.

If Bruce Pearl couldn't get serious NBA talent there, Stans isn't either.

engie
04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Tennessee has shown a history of panicking their hires.

No they haven't.

They've had a history of trying to hire while either under investigation or on probation.

My personal guess is that they are going to knock this hire out of the park -- with a name that probably shocks people...

jumbo
04-15-2014, 03:31 PM
If Bruce Pearl couldn't get serious NBA talent there, Stans isn't either.

Tobias Harris and Jarnell Stokes say otherwise.

ckDOG
04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Just got sent a text that Stansbury is on the initial short list for Tennessee. His name is in the hat.

Your texter is trolling you hard.

C222
04-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Tobias Harris and Jarnell Stokes say otherwise.

Jarnell committed after Cuonzo was hired. And terrible example since he hasn't even been drafted yet. I guess I will give you Harris. So that's 1 NBA players in 6 years. LOADS of NBA talent. And

starkvegasdawg
04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Nolan Richardson***

smootness
04-15-2014, 03:44 PM

Uh, no. Rick Stansbury is not going to be hired by Tennessee, this is ridiculous.

civildawg
04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
No they haven't.

They've had a history of trying to hire while either under investigation or on probation.

My personal guess is that they are going to knock this hire out of the park -- with a name that probably shocks people...

what you did there, I see it

Johnson85
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Uh, no. Rick Stansbury is not going to be hired by Tennessee, this is ridiculous.

I'm a Stansbury fan overall but no athletic director in the SEC is going to hire him without a successful interim stop somewhere. Whether it's true or not, that hire would look like conceding that you're ok with not ever being good, you just want to avoid the cellar. Probably wouldn't be a bad choice for a lot of SEC teams to make, but everybody wants to keep the dream of the home run hire alive.

drunkernhelldawg
04-15-2014, 04:08 PM
He'd be an upgrade for a lot of teams. 21-8 vs. his rival is not some kind of accident.

thf24
04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
He'd be an upgrade for a lot of teams. 21-8 vs. his rival is not some kind of accident.

That has a lot to do with who "his rival" was.

engie
04-15-2014, 04:16 PM

The second longest tenure in the Power 6 in the past 2 decades without a Sweet 16 is not any kind of accident either...

Dawg61
04-15-2014, 04:27 PM
The second longest tenure in the Power 6 in the past 2 decades without a Sweet 16 is not any kind of accident either...

I wanted Stansbury gone first and foremost but let's not act like he was some shit coach. He had very real success minus a long run in the NCAA tourney.

Rick Stansbury

A few tidbits about Stansbury:
He won more SEC championships in the last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12..
Miss St 8 ( Florida 6 )
WCC 03,04,07,08,2010
SEC Tournament Champs 02,09
Overall 04...

•In SEC Ky, Fla have won more games in 14 years, 293 wins.
•Rated 9th in the history of SEC winningest coaches , 293 wins.
•Only Ky, Fla won more SEC Tournament games in 14 years.
7 semi finals • Final 4 times • Won tourney 02 & 09.
16-12 in SEC tournament.
• Been to post season 11-14 years. 6 NCAA , 5 NIT...
• Had the longest road winnig streak of any team in America 2003-2005, 16 straight.
• His last 11 seasons , Preseason Sell - Outs , setting all time ticket sales and attendance records.
• Graduated 76% of his 4 year players . Second to Vanderbilt.
• In 14 years , record against Arch Rival Ole Miss 21-8.
• He owned the State of Missisippi when it comes to the top ranked players staying home to play. He locks it down early with the top talent. He recruits the southern states like no other.
Just a few tidbits!!!

Courtesy of an Auburn site

drunkernhelldawg
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I wanted Stansbury gone first and foremost but let's not act like he was some shit coach. He had very real success minus a long run in the NCAA tourney.

Rick Stansbury

A few tidbits about Stansbury:
He won more SEC championships in the last 10 years than any other SEC program except Kentucky 12..
Miss St 8 ( Florida 6 )
WCC 03,04,07,08,2010
SEC Tournament Champs 02,09
Overall 04...

•In SEC Ky, Fla have won more games in 14 years, 293 wins.
•Rated 9th in the history of SEC winningest coaches , 293 wins.
•Only Ky, Fla won more SEC Tournament games in 14 years.
7 semi finals • Final 4 times • Won tourney 02 & 09.
16-12 in SEC tournament.
• Been to post season 11-14 years. 6 NCAA , 5 NIT...
• Had the longest road winnig streak of any team in America 2003-2005, 16 straight.
• His last 11 seasons , Preseason Sell - Outs , setting all time ticket sales and attendance records.
• Graduated 76% of his 4 year players . Second to Vanderbilt.
• In 14 years , record against Arch Rival Ole Miss 21-8.
• He owned the State of Missisippi when it comes to the top ranked players staying home to play. He locks it down early with the top talent. He recruits the southern states like no other.
Just a few tidbits!!!

Courtesy of an Auburn site

Thank you for the info.

BulldogBear
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Good grief, UT's athletic program is a 3 ring circus right now with a fire in the dumpster out back. IDK what their problem has been for the last 5-6 years. It's a mess in Knoxville. Really is a shame about Pat Summit. When she had to go seems that was the final swish of gasoline.

smootness
04-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Stansbury did great things here, no one disputes that. It doesn't change the fact that no SEC team is going to hire him.

PMDawg
04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Who cares? This has nothing to do with MSU at this point. Do you think other schools follow their old coaches with a weird obsession? Move on.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Do you think other schools follow their old coaches with a weird obsession? Move on.

Tennessee and LSU approve of this message

Johnson85
04-16-2014, 08:33 AM

^^^^THIS^^^^ Stansbury would be an upgrade for the majority of the SEC teams, but it's still not going to happen because no athletic director wants to settle for that, no matter how good it looks compared to their current situation and no matter how small the likelihood that they are going to do better by picking off a head coach from a smaller school.

Not sure that approach is smart, but I understand it. Donors don't want to be told, "We're won't make any noise in the NCAA tournament, but we are going to consistently be around the bubble. How much money can you give?"

Maroonthirteen
04-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Do you think other schools follow their old coaches with a weird obsession? Move on.

OM - Tuberville
Arkansas - Nutt If You made a movie about they way they acted getting rid of Nutt and then during his time at OM.................. Glenn Close would play the part of the Arkansas fans and Michael Douglas would be Nutt.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
OM - Tuberville
Arkansas - Nutt If You made a movie about they way they acted getting rid of Nutt and then during his time at OM.................. Glenn Close would play the part of the Arkansas fans and Michael Douglas would be Nutt.

LSU fans and their love/hate with Saban will endure another 50 years. I cant talk about Les Miles to any of them without Saban's name being brought up

Tennessee fans chanted Bruce Pearl this season during a game. So yes, PMDawg- other fan bases keep up with the former coaches just like we do

MadDawg
04-16-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm a Stansbury fan overall but no athletic director in the SEC is going to hire him without a successful interim stop somewhere. Whether it's true or not, that hire would look like conceding that you're ok with not ever being good, you just want to avoid the cellar. Probably wouldn't be a bad choice for a lot of SEC teams to make, but everybody wants to keep the dream of the home run hire alive.

I agree with this. He could resurrect his career, but he's not going to step right in to a big-time program. If that was going to happen, it would have happened before he left MSU. No he's going to have to prove himself again, probably at a CUSA school or something similar.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Only way Stansbury gets the job is if a bunch of people tell Tennessee no similar to how Mark Gottfried ended up at NC State. While Tennessee has great facilities, they will always compare their success to how Bruce Pearl is doing. Mike Hart has his hands full. Doesn't look good when 35,000 people sign a petition to fire Cuonzo and he makes the sweet 16. Cuonzo was smart to get out of there because they won't be nearly as good next year.