PDA

View Full Version : "Old South"

DCdawg
04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
An interesting article about the culture of Oxford from a black MSU student.
http://starkvillefreepress.com/2014/04/old-south-discussion-needed/

I have not read the two initial articles from the Ole Miss students.

Goat Holder
04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
OK, enough of this nonsense. I, like everybody else, enjoy ribbing Ole Miss fans about the 'racist' crap they allegedly do. But do I really believe they are anymore racist than ANYONE ELSE in the free world? No, I don't. And I don't think the South is NEAR as racist as this feel-good author would have you believe. She didn't, and I bet she couldn't, name the SPECIFICS on any REAL racial act that she's personally seen with her eyes.

I've lived my whole life in the South I haven't seen racism. I'm calling bullshit on anyone 25 years old or younger playing the race card. Oh, somebody called you the n word? Punch them in the face. That's not 'racist', though, that goes for anybody talking shit to anybody. Nobody is with-holding rights because they ran their mouth. This isn't the 60s. People keep saying we need to see 'progress' or we 'still have a ways to go'.....why? Show me the problem. Don't just say there is one.

Yeah, I said it.

RC3
04-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Goat you are wrong. We are friends but that's bullshit and you know it. I see it every single damn day

bluelightstar
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Edit: actually it's best not to respond to the earlier post

BeardoMSU
04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Perspective, Goat - as a white man (which I assume you are, too), I don't have much from the black point of view, so you won't find me "calling bullshit". That's very reminiscent of the Duck Dynasty dude talking about black people he knew growing up in the 60's...he had absolutely no freakin' clue.

messageboardsuperhero
04-15-2014, 02:29 PM
OK, enough of this nonsense. I, like everybody else, enjoy ribbing Ole Miss fans about the 'racist' crap they allegedly do. But do I really believe they are anymore racist than ANYONE ELSE in the free world? No, I don't. And I don't think the South is NEAR as racist as this feel-good author would have you believe. She didn't, and I bet she couldn't, name the SPECIFICS on any REAL racial act that she's personally seen with her eyes.

I've lived my whole life in the South I haven't seen racism. I'm calling bullshit on anyone 25 years old or younger playing the race card. Oh, somebody called you the n word? Punch them in the face. That's not 'racist', though, that goes for anybody talking shit to anybody. Nobody is with-holding rights because they ran their mouth. This isn't the 60s. People keep saying we need to see 'progress' or we 'still have a ways to go'.....why? Show me the problem. Don't just say there is one.

Yeah, I said it.

Goat, you are dead wrong.

DCdawg
04-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Not trying to spark a political debate, guys. Just wanted to bring another opinion to the table from a black MSU student.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2014, 02:34 PM

I've lived my whole life in the South I haven't seen racism, BECAUSE I'M WHITE.... I'm calling bullshit on anyone 25 years old or younger playing the race card. Oh, somebody called you the n word? Punch them in the face. That's not 'racist', though, that goes for anybody talking shit to anybody. Nobody is with-holding rights because they ran their mouth. This isn't the 60s. People keep saying we need to see 'progress' or we 'still have a ways to go'.....why? Show me the problem. Don't just say there is one.

Yeah, I said it.

There we go, now I understand why you haven't experienced racism. Perfect*****

BeardoMSU
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
It's all good, DC.

I thought the mentioning of "Old South Day" or whatever it's called is a great example of really bad practices that I'm surprised are still allowed. Do the frats at MSU do anything similar? I wouldn't know.

I will say, however, that though lots people at OM identify with the "old south/good ole days" persona, not all of them do. One of my best buds is an OM alum and he always tells me how it embarrassed him every time he saw that; not to mention his overall opinion of other confederate insignia's at Ole Miss. They're not all bad guys, and he's a great example of why.