PDA

View Full Version : Is Fancy really trying to spin this 2015 class

Coach34
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
In Mississippi as overrated??? Seriously Fancy?

So in just the last couple of days he has tried to put the Flock at ease over Dakota looking great in our Spring Game by saying our recruiting has been so bad we will suck after 2014...now it's the Mississippi talent is overrated for 2015?

Lots of angst in Oxford right now bout State Football

wobblyh
04-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Let's be honest the only people having angst over the rival's football program are those people who are obsessed with the rivalry. Very few people care what is going on with either program at the moment. That changes come July. Those people worried about the state of either program will be worried regardless of the circumstances. If both teams are about even, they'll worry the other will jump ahead. If their team is behind the other program, they fret over how the other program will regress while theirs progresses. If they are ahead, they're worried the other is making up ground. It never ends. It's why guys like Yancy and Steve have jobs. But let's not act like this is widespread commonality. 90% of both fanbases are distracted with jobs, summer plans, school, baseball, etc and couldn't care less what is going on other places.

Pollodawg
04-15-2014, 01:06 PM
It all boils down to we're not supposed to be a threat to them, but we are. We're more than a threat. Us winning in this rivalry has become the stark, terrible reality for them. They detest Mullen because he isn't Croom. He won't knuckle under and "play nice" while they play dirty as hell. And I love the dude for it. He gives them barb for barb, and they can't take it.

They know Dak is the real deal, and you can look for them to trash him every opportunity they get, and all of it is out of pure, unadulterated fear.

Pollodawg
04-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Let's be honest the only people having angst over the rival's football program are those people who are obsessed with the rivalry. Very few people care what is going on with either program at the moment. That changes come July. Those people worried about the state of either program will be worried regardless of the circumstances. If both teams are about even, they'll worry the other will jump ahead. If their team is behind the other program, they fret over how the other program will regress while theirs progresses. If they are ahead, they're worried the other is making up ground. It never ends. It's why guys like Yancy and Steve have jobs. But let's not act like this is widespread commonality. 90% of both fanbases are distracted with jobs, summer plans, school, baseball, etc and couldn't care less what is going on other places.

Bullshit. You think big time boosters at either program are turning a blind eye to the other because they have other things to worry about? No. If that were true, OM wouldn't have concocted some bullshit scheme with Devinner to land State on probation. They care. They care plenty.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Gonna have to disagree wobbly- those two things I mentioned have been spun in just the last 3 days

TexasDawg
04-15-2014, 01:21 PM
I really hope Peters, Lewis, Dear, and all of the other top prospects in the state hear about this.

wobblyh
04-15-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm not disagreeing that it's being spun. But how many people do you think are having "angst" over this? A VERY small percentage of the fanbase.

Pollo - I don't know if it's that deliberate with regard to specific actions by rivals. Those boosters who are acting, will do so regardless of what the rival is doing.

PassInterference
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
I hope Yancy thinks the class of 2015 in Mississippi is the worst in 30 years. That means we're getting all the good ones.

Pollodawg
04-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm not disagreeing that it's being spun. But how many people do you think are having "angst" over this? A VERY small percentage of the fanbase.

Pollo - I don't know if it's that deliberate with regard to specific actions by rivals. Those boosters who are acting, will do so regardless of what the rival is doing.

So, they would still have turned us in if we had been, say, 4-8 instead of 8-5 or 9-4? And they still would have turned us in if they had been kicking our ass instead of the other way around? I don't buy that.

BulldogBear
04-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I hope Yancy thinks the class of 2015 in Mississippi is the worst in 30 years. That means we're getting all the good ones.

Haha! THIS^

smootness
04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes, he is. And all these recruiting 'experts' will continue to say absolutely whatever they feel like saying because there is no accountability. And I guess I'm fine with that, honestly, it doesn't really matter. But it's sad when people can't see right through it.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2014, 02:03 PM

RED alert. Sounds an awful lot like "LSU is our real rival."

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Our state is so bad this year, Nick Saban has offered almost as many Miss kids as Alabama.

BeastMan
04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps93397ca8.jpg

AlSwearengen
04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
the fact that yancy is spouting this stuff gives me hope that we are likely to do really well this year. If things were different, we would see phrases like "mississippi grand slam" or "best mississippi class in history".

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 02:53 PM
the fact that yancy is spouting this stuff gives me hope that we are likely to do really well this year. If things were different, we would see phrases like "mississippi grand slam" or "best mississippi class in history".

Or Mikhail Miller is the best QB to come out of Mississippi since Jason Campbell? Yeah- let's all listen to that recruiting expert.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Let's run it down top players at their position in Mississippi this year:

QB- J'Mar Smith- MSU lean. Not to mention one of the top QB's in the 2016 class in the country has us as his favorite in Pass.

ATH- Malik Dear- MSU lean.

RB- Not really an Anthony Dixon type of prospect this year, but the top running back in Mississippi is the sophomore from Clinton, which is a MSU stronghold.

WR- Dontae Jones- MSU commit.

TE- Willie Hibbler- Ole Miss commit, but Jay Johnson is 1B and is a MSU commit that they would love to have.

OL- Jovan Patterson- They might get him, but it will be a battle either way. And we have Tony Hughes.

DL- Fletcher Adams- MSU lean

LB- Leo Lewis- MSU lean

CB- Chris Stamps- MSU commit

S- Jamal Peters- MSU lean

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Hey- there's always 2016.

smootness
04-15-2014, 03:48 PM
LB- Leo Lewis- MSU lean

I wouldn't say this. I agree with the rest, but I don't think anybody knows with Lewis right now.

Homedawg
04-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Let's run it down top players at their position in Mississippi this year:

QB- J'Mar Smith- MSU lean. Not to mention one of the top QB's in the 2016 class in the country has us as his favorite in Pass.

ATH- Malik Dear- MSU lean.

RB- Not really an Anthony Dixon type of prospect this year, but the top running back in Mississippi is the sophomore from Clinton, which is a MSU stronghold.

WR- Dontae Jones- MSU commit.

TE- Willie Hibbler- Ole Miss commit, but Jay Johnson is 1B and is a MSU commit that they would love to have.

OL- Jovan Patterson- They might get him, but it will be a battle either way. And we have Tony Hughes.

DL- Fletcher Adams- MSU lean

LB- Leo Lewis- MSU lean

CB- Chris Stamps- MSU commit

S- Jamal Peters- MSU lean

It's a long way until February. Remember at one point we led for singleton, had whitehead and Johnson and brassell committed and got none. I'm not saying it's going to be a repeat, not close. But after years of them doing whatever it takes, I've learned to temper my excitement 10 months ahead of time. With that said, I'd dang sure rather lead than trail on any player. And it appears we lead, and in some cases commandingly, for a majority of the top guys.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 04:13 PM
It's a long way until February. Remember at one point we led for singleton, had whitehead and Johnson and brassell committed and got none. I'm not saying it's going to be a repeat, not close. But after years of them doing whatever it takes, I've learned to temper my excitement 10 months ahead of time. With that said, I'd dang sure rather lead than trail on any player. And it appears we lead, and in some cases commandingly, for a majority of the top guys.

It is a long way to February. And I hope that when Ole Miss tries to flip these players that they remember that Yancy thought that they were overrated in February.

And I'd also submit that Dan has learned a lot since that class that you are referring to and Dan is also a lot more established than he was at that time. If we had been to four straight bowls and won four out of five, those players you are referring to could very well have ended up at MSU.

You can temper your excitement as much as you need to- but as of THIS MOMENT- I'm stating facts as they stand in April.

AlSwearengen
04-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Todd has good points and I think that MSU people have also caught on to most of olemiss' recruiting tactics and figured out how to counter them to some degree.

There will surely be a big push during the all-star games and late dec. early jan. to make some deals, especially if they are struggling on their top out of state prospects.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 04:26 PM
It's a long way until February. Remember at one point we led for singleton, had whitehead and Johnson and brassell committed and got none.

Whitehead never committed to us if I remember correctly and Brassell had never even visited our campus when he committed to us. ...and since that happened in 2011, the only flip they have had has been the CB from Holmes CC in 2013 (I dont count Koolio because that was so orchestrated we all called that months ahead of time). They tried hard on Jones, Richie Brown, Graham, Aeris Williams, and others since with no luck. There's a reason for that. We learned our lesson

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 04:32 PM
And the year that they had the best recruiting class in the history of football, they still couldn't flip Shumpert, Chris Jones, or Jake Thomas.

Heck- Dan did better than Georgia did as far as guys flipping to Ole Miss.

Homedawg
04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Whitehead never committed to us if I remember correctly and Brassell had never even visited our campus when he committed to us. ...and since that happened in 2011, the only flip they have had has been the CB from Holmes CC in 2013 (I dont count Koolio because that was so orchestrated we all called that months ahead of time). They tried hard on Jones, Richie Brown, Graham, Aeris Williams, and others since with no luck. There's a reason for that. We learned our lesson

I agree w pretty much all you said about us learning and them working our guys. Doesn't keep me from being concerned......whitehead was committed to us though.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Has either team ever dominated Mississippi recruiting??? It's the same story every single year... We get our share of Ms kids, and TSUN gets their share of kids every year.. One of Bama and LSU cherry pick one of the top guys, and every once in a while USM gets a grade casualty. It's like I'm taking crazy pills... Between Yancy and Steve, there's enough bullshit to fertilize the entire south. It's like they work together to keep the shit flowing all year.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 04:49 PM
And the year that they had the best recruiting class in the history of football, they still couldn't flip Shumpert, Chris Jones, or Jake Thomas.

Heck- Dan did better than Georgia did as far as guys flipping to Ole Miss.

Did Pat Patterson every commit to us. Wanna talk about a shady deal??? Then those wack jobs accused State of turning him in for a fake SAT.

Homedawg
04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Has either team ever dominated Mississippi recruiting??? It's the same story every single year... We get our share of Ms kids, and TSUN gets their share of kids every year.. One of Bama and LSU cherry pick one of the top guys, and every once in a while USM gets a grade casualty. It's like I'm taking crazy pills... Between Yancy and Steve, there's enough bullshit to fertilize the entire south. It's like they work together to keep the shit flowing all year.

My years run together, but the closest we came was the class Jackie had that was like #9 by rivals. Thompson twins, Corey Miley, fant. Got 6 of the top ten and the Rebs got one or none. I don't have the energy to look it up, but that's as close as we have come for sure.

smootness
04-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Whitehead was definitely committed. But everyone knew he was 'along for the ride' and that getting him was partly contingent on getting Brassell, Singleton, and the rest.

It was not a surprise at all that he decommitted after everything went down in January; most were expecting it.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 05:03 PM
My years run together, but the closest we came was the class Jackie had that was like #9 by rivals. Thompson twins, Corey Miley, fant. Got 6 of the top ten and the Rebs got one or none. I don't have the energy to look it up, but that's as close as we have come for sure.

Yeah 2003... The 2002 class looked nice on paper as well.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Depends on what you call dominating. Recently, Dan has based on results as in on the field and how they turned out in college results.

smootness
04-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Has either team ever dominated Mississippi recruiting??? It's the same story every single year... We get our share of Ms kids, and TSUN gets their share of kids every year.. One of Bama and LSU cherry pick one of the top guys, and every once in a while USM gets a grade casualty.

I agree with you, but I've never seen such a consensus among the top prospects in the state before. And it's not as though it's just Steve or a State guy saying it - everyone is acknowledging that we are way out in front for most of the top guys in MS this year. It could be a pretty unprecedented year.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Depends on what you call dominating. Recently, Dan has based on results as in on the field and how they turned out in college results.

I totally agree with gotten more out of the Mississippi kids, but that's more about coaching, not recruiting...

I'm talking about head to head battles for kids EVERYONE thinks are great football prospects. Seems like we always split 50-50... I consider a 60-540 split on the blue chips a very good year in recruiting... I'd say dominating is a 70-30 spit, which usually only happens when there's a coaching change or something like that. Head to Head with both coaches in good standing... I don't see either school taking the lions share.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I agree with you, but I've never seen such a consensus among the top prospects in the state before. And it's not as though it's just Steve or a State guy saying it - everyone is acknowledging that we are way out in front for most of the top guys in MS this year. It could be a pretty unprecedented year.

Yeah, we look really good right now... There's no denying that, but it always works itself out. This time of year, certain boosters/fans in certain areas considered MSU/OM strongholds, haven't started applying pressure yet. When recruiting heats up, kids will start hearing it at every turn. That's when you see the chips start to fall.

It will be interesting this year.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I totally agree with gotten more out of the Mississippi kids, but that's more about coaching, not recruiting...

I'm talking about head to head battles for kids EVERYONE thinks are great football prospects. Seems like we always split 50-50... I consider a 60-540 split on the blue chips a very good year in recruiting... I'd say dominating is a 70-30 spit, which usually only happens when there's a coaching change or something like that. Head to Head with both coaches in good standing... I don't see either school taking the lions share.

To me recruiting doesn't stop once they sign on the dotted line. If we sign 25 five star players that are all busts that doesn't do us much good. Development is part of that. And sustained development helps with eventually dominating in state because when these guys see guys that they thought were awesome in high school like Singleton and Brassell flame out and then they see guys like Jameon and McKinney going to MSU and becoming stars- it makes a difference.

Ole Miss can spin that away however they want to- but kids aren't stupid.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 06:47 PM
To me recruiting doesn't stop once they sign on the dotted line. If we sign 25 five star players that are all busts that doesn't do us much good. Development is part of that. And sustained development helps with eventually dominating in state because when these guys see guys that they thought were awesome in high school like Singleton and Brassell flame out and then they see guys like Jameon and McKinney going to MSU and becoming stars- it makes a difference.

Ole Miss can spin that away however they want to- but kids aren't stupid.

It does... retention and development is a completely different ball game... Do those things help recruiting? Absolutely... For every Brassell or Singleton, there's a Nick James, or Quay Evans... These coaches know how to play the game, and convincing an 18 year old that something like that would never happen to them, isn't that hard.

It's hard to dominate on the dotted line... You're just not going to sign every kid... When OM was WAY down and on fire, they still signed their share of guys... When Croom was falling apart, OM never was able to come in and dominate... It just is what it is...

As long as we sign our fair share, and continue to evaluate/find/develop the rough 2 and 3 start guys... We will continue to win on the field. That I do know...

Coach34
04-15-2014, 08:07 PM
I totally agree with gotten more out of the Mississippi kids, but that's more about coaching, not recruiting.

Recognizing guys like McKinney and Calhoun is indeed recruiting. They didnt just suddenly get talented when they got to S'ville. They were guys that were underrated by the services.

jimbo352
04-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Recognizing guys like McKinney and Calhoun is indeed recruiting. They didnt just suddenly get talented when they got to S'ville. They were guys that were underrated by the services.

I know that, but that wasn't what I was talking about... I was talking about the head to head battles with the "can't miss" prospects both MSU and TSUN are pressing hard for. The top 10 or so players in the state... There' no doubt this staff is A+ when it comes to spotting players before anyone else... We usually split the top 10 or so players in the state though. It's hard for either school to dominate those guys.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I agree with that

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 08:31 PM
It does... retention and development is a completely different ball game... Do those things help recruiting? Absolutely... For every Brassell or Singleton, there's a Nick James, or Quay Evans... These coaches know how to play the game, and convincing an 18 year old that something like that would never happen to them, isn't that hard.

It's hard to dominate on the dotted line... You're just not going to sign every kid... When OM was WAY down and on fire, they still signed their share of guys... When Croom was falling apart, OM never was able to come in and dominate... It just is what it is...

As long as we sign our fair share, and continue to evaluate/find/develop the rough 2 and 3 start guys... We will continue to win on the field. That I do know...

That's just not how I look at it. If you get a class that the recruiting services don't care for on NSD, but then you have three or four guys that end up being 1st day NFL picks- I can't say that we recruited poorly. I'm more concerned about the players we do get rather than what the Clarion-Ledger, Rosebowl, Yancy etc. think about our class and who their top 10 are. I trust my evaluation skills and opinions more than them. No one remembers losing on NSD. It's a racket. All you have to do is put four stars by someone's name and they're a good player. But in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't really mean anything.

For example, I remember watching Bear Wilson's film from high school. I thought it was incredible. He was like a three star guy I think. But I thought he would have an immediate impact and he pretty much did. Despite what the recruiting people told me, I was excited to get him. Same with Chris Jones before he blew up. He didn't even make Dandy Dozen.

These recruiting sites are not going to have it so that one school dominates even if that is reality because they have fans from the other school to entertain. I'm sure Willie Hibbler will be a top 10 player this year for that reason alone. The reality is he's probably not even in the top 15.

Recruiting takes connections and relationships. That's why Nutt and Dan didn't do as well in both of those cases you are referring to. For the past 20 years or so, neither one of us has been clearly dominate over the other. UNTIL Dan came along and has now won four out of five. We're starting to establish dominance. That's why I like playing USM- if we beat them, then that makes even more of a statement in state. That's also why I like playing the SWAC schools from Mississippi as well- we're establishing dominance while helping them out. The Romans pretty much did the same thing during the height of their empire.

Now we have a legit Heisman contender at QB and a chance to have some very good teams for the next couple of years. It should impact our recruiting in a major way and in a positive way.

gravedigger
04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
We never led for singleton or brassel. Do not forget that. We did for Johnson but only in the antiseptic world of textbook NCAA rules. When we were asked to join the other game, we weren't willing to bid that high.

This could very well happen again as you say. And we do participate in the game. But we have a different 'risk reward' valuation for players than the rating system of rivals, or the dandy taltys or scout does.

Forget what you think you know about recruiting. If you'd like to imagine what the current world of recruiting really represents, rent the movie unusual suspects and listen to Kevin spacey's character describe keiser souze at the end.

Bottom line: it's power is in the imagination of those who cry about it the most.

Great teams are first and foremost the product of excellent staffs. The rest is mostly smoke and mirrors.

Pollodawg
04-15-2014, 09:11 PM
We never led for singleton or brassel. Do not forget that. We did for Johnson but only in the antiseptic world of textbook NCAA rules. When we were asked to join the other game, we weren't willing to bid that high.

This could very well happen again as you say. And we do participate in the game. But we have a different 'risk reward' valuation for players than the rating system of rivals, or the dandy taltys or scout does.

Forget what you think you know about recruiting. If you'd like to imagine what the current world of recruiting really represents, rent the movie unusual suspects and listen to Kevin spacey's character describe keiser souze at the end.

Bottom line: it's power is in the imagination of those who cry about it the most.

Great teams are first and foremost the product of excellent staffs. The rest is mostly smoke and mirrors.

This. Singleton and Brassel were never coming here. Neither was Kailo Moore.

M.Fillmore
04-15-2014, 10:33 PM
I feel good now, but when the cash starts flowing the Bears start crowing.

engie
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
This. Singleton and Brassel were never coming here. Neither was Kailo Moore.

One of these is not like the other 2.

sandwolf
04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
That's just not how I look at it. If you get a class that the recruiting services don't care for on NSD, but then you have three or four guys that end up being 1st day NFL picks- I can't say that we recruited poorly. I'm more concerned about the players we do get rather than what the Clarion-Ledger, Rosebowl, Yancy etc. think about our class and who their top 10 are. I trust my evaluation skills and opinions more than them. No one remembers losing on NSD. It's a racket. All you have to do is put four stars by someone's name and they're a good player. But in the grand scheme of things, that doesn't really mean anything.

For example, I remember watching Bear Wilson's film from high school. I thought it was incredible. He was like a three star guy I think. But I thought he would have an immediate impact and he pretty much did. Despite what the recruiting people told me, I was excited to get him. Same with Chris Jones before he blew up. He didn't even make Dandy Dozen.

These recruiting sites are not going to have it so that one school dominates even if that is reality because they have fans from the other school to entertain. I'm sure Willie Hibbler will be a top 10 player this year for that reason alone. The reality is he's probably not even in the top 15.

Recruiting takes connections and relationships. That's why Nutt and Dan didn't do as well in both of those cases you are referring to. For the past 20 years or so, neither one of us has been clearly dominate over the other. UNTIL Dan came along and has now won four out of five. We're starting to establish dominance. That's why I like playing USM- if we beat them, then that makes even more of a statement in state. That's also why I like playing the SWAC schools from Mississippi as well- we're establishing dominance while helping them out. The Romans pretty much did the same thing during the height of their empire.

Now we have a legit Heisman contender at QB and a chance to have some very good teams for the next couple of years. It should impact our recruiting in a major way and in a positive way.

You are completely missing his point.

He is saying that there are typically 10 or so guys in the state that we go head to head with UM for.......if we could get all 10 of them then we definitely would take all 10 of them, and the same goes for UM. You are trying to make it sound like Mullen is passing on some of those top 10 guys in order to take these under rated guys, and so he is dominating the in state recruiting, when that just isn't the case. Taveze Calhoun is a prime example......he was an underrated guy that our staff felt had a lot of potential, but he only got an offer because we missed out on several other guys. In his case, they get credit for development, not for recruiting.......those are two completely different things.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
You are completely missing his point.

He is saying that there are typically 10 or so guys in the state that we go head to head with UM for.......if we could get all 10 of them then we definitely would take all 10 of them, and the same goes for UM. You are trying to make it sound like Mullen is passing on some of those top 10 guys in order to take these under rated guys, and so he is dominating the in state recruiting, when that just isn't the case. Taveze Calhoun is a prime example......he was an underrated guy that our staff felt had a lot of potential, but he only got an offer because we missed out on several other guys. In his case, they get credit for development, not for recruiting.......those are two completely different things.

No, I see his point. I have a different view on it is all.

Dan doesn't care about stars or any of that. I know for a fact that Dan's Big Board is different from Rosebowl's. Remember the year Montreal Jordan was a Dandy Dozen and then Chris Jones wasn't? Our staff knew about Jones and took him and passed on Jordan. But at this time in 2012, Jordan would have been considered by many of the recruiting experts as one of the top 10 players in the state. Now Jordan is at EMCC and Jones was a five star who is probably a three year guy for us.

Because of things like that, it begs the question who the top 10 players REALLY are?

I don't know about Calhoun. By my count we only signed 21 guys that year- I suppose the other four spots were for the Mississippi Home Run. That leads me to believe we would have taken Calhoun anyway.

Calhoun is a different animal. Some players emerge during the season. He falls into that category. He made the Miss/Ala. All-Star game after a breakout senior year and had a good showing there and then our staff became interested and eventually that led to an offer. There will probably be someone that does the same in this class.

EAVdog
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
No, I see his point. I have a different view on it is all.

Dan doesn't care about stars or any of that. I know for a fact that Dan's Big Board is different from Rosebowl's. Remember the year Montreal Jordan was a Dandy Dozen and then Chris Jones wasn't? Our staff knew about Jones and took him and passed on Jordan. But at this time in 2012, Jordan would have been considered by many of the recruiting experts as one of the top 10 players in the state. Now Jordan is at EMCC and Jones was a five star who is probably a three year guy for us.

Because of things like that, it begs the question who the top 10 players REALLY are?

I don't know about Calhoun. By my count we only signed 21 guys that year- I suppose the other four spots were for the Mississippi Home Run. That leads me to believe we would have taken Calhoun anyway.

Calhoun is a different animal. Some players emerge during the season. He falls into that category. He made the Miss/Ala. All-Star game after a breakout senior year and had a good showing there and then our staff became interested and eventually that led to an offer. There will probably be someone that does the same in this class.

Yeah Calhoun also was like Defensive Co-MVP of the All-Star game or something.

engie
04-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Also worth noting that 2011 was still under the 28 scholarship limit... It went to 25 in 2012...

Political Hack
04-16-2014, 09:08 AM
why would an OM cheerleader be crapping on the instate talent this year like this? Isn't he basicially insulting them as a group?

PassInterference
04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
why would an OM cheerleader be crapping on the instate talent this year like this? Isn't he basicially insulting them as a group?

Like I said - he's laying the groundwork for shitting on the outstanding class we have coming in 2015. "Well, they sucked anyway...we didn't want them"

Johnson85
04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
And I'd also submit that Dan has learned a lot since that class that you are referring to and Dan is also a lot more established than he was at that time. If we had been to four straight bowls and won four out of five, those players you are referring to could very well have ended up at MSU.

Wouldn't have been any different if Mullen had been established or gone to four straight bowl games or won four out of five. I'm not sure we ever had a chance at Brassell or Singleton, but I think we basically walked away from Johnson. Not sure if it was b/c of naivety or b/c we felt he was reneging on a deal, but things will be different this year, and it won't primarily be because of Mullen being established.

We will probably lose a good recruit to Ole Miss simply because we lead for more than either school historically would get and if it stays that way, UM will up the ante to a place we don't want to go just to lessen the sting, but we won't simply bow out this year.

Coach34
04-16-2014, 09:50 AM

Good chance for Steve and Paul to mention this to recruits they interview around the state...

Rosie could ask "Why do you think the OM Scout writer is writing about how the talent is Mississippi is overrated this year?"

Todd4State
04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't have been any different if Mullen had been established or gone to four straight bowl games or won four out of five. I'm not sure we ever had a chance at Brassell or Singleton, but I think we basically walked away from Johnson. Not sure if it was b/c of naivety or b/c we felt he was reneging on a deal, but things will be different this year, and it won't primarily be because of Mullen being established.

We will probably lose a good recruit to Ole Miss simply because we lead for more than either school historically would get and if it stays that way, UM will up the ante to a place we don't want to go just to lessen the sting, but we won't simply bow out this year.

It may not have been any different but if the circumstances were what they are today, I would think that we would have a much better chance of getting them.

mic
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
This !!!!! You know 100% if Rosie or Paul were dumb enough to ever some something even close to what Yancy said their guys David and Yancy would be all over it .. Hell the CL and DJ would prob even be writing about it

archdog
04-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Good chance for Steve and Paul to mention this to recruits they interview around the state...

Rosie could ask "Why do you think the OM Scout writer is writing about how the talent is Mississippi is overrated this year?"

Some may said they are above this type of crap, but our writers need to get on board. Yancy is definately part of the OM recruiting machine. Every statement or question that guy asks is straight out of their recruiting playbook.

Jack Lambert
04-17-2014, 08:56 AM

What planet do you live on? That 90% escape reality with Ole Miss and Miss state sports and it bugs the hell out of them when one team is doing something better than the other year round and that's the fact.

If what you say was true you would not have message board, radio shows, sports pages in news papers.

Leroy Jenkins
04-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Never happen. Steve and YP are the same person.