PDA

View Full Version : Why did we take a commitment from Cameron Myers?

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-15-2014, 07:54 AM
If you looked at his listing on 247 you can see why...6-2, 185 and 4.5 40.

However at the recent Birmingham Nike Camp he was 5-11, 175 and ran a 5.01 (wtf?)

What is going on here?

msstate7
04-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Was it on a flooded field?*** really though with all the rain, it could've been a slow track. Hope it's just a typo

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Well I can definitely understand a little slowness..but 5.01? Fletcher Adams ran a 4.8.

msstate7
04-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Well I can definitely understand a little slowness..but 5.01? Fletcher Adams ran a 4.8.

Gotta be a typo

smootness
04-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Is this the same place where they clocked Dear at 4.66? If so, take it with a grain of salt. Also, training can matter quite a bit in the 40; so for a HS kid that doesn't exactly know the proper technique, his time may look much slower than he actually is, especially if there is a slip or anything involved.

Myers will probably play DB for us with the WR class it looks like we're going to bring in this year, so I'm not overly concerned with his size.

If those measurements are accurate, though, then we may indeed be taking a second look. But by all accounts, Myers is the best athlete they've had there in several years, including the guys we've already pulled from OG. I'd be beyond shocked if he's actually a 5.01 guy. That would show up on tape in a big way.

smootness
04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I just checked, and it looks like the times were slow for everybody. They clocked Spivey at 4.84. Dear was actually one of the fastest kids there, and Linton was clocked even faster at 4.62; the more I hear about him, the more I think he's going to be a stud. We need to keep him.

engie
04-15-2014, 08:40 AM
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1513863/highlights/15836374

I don't really care about what the stop watches said yesterday -- it only took me about 15 seconds worth of watching this video to know he's got good enough football speed...

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Everyone ran slow times yesterday. It is just a way for YP to spin how this state class is no better than any other year.

He has actually said that the media is propping up this state class to make state look good and it is artificial. Haha, his flock is eating it up.

The best crop of Miss ever and they have no ins and limited scholarships. He has to hit spin control early. Wait until we throttle that ass in oxford.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
I just found it odd that 247 was so off on this guy's measurables. 5-11 to 6-2 is a pretty big leap.

hailmari
04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
He can ball. I watched him closely in the State playoffs. No worries.

smootness
04-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Everyone ran slow times yesterday. It is just a way for YP to spin how this state class is no better than any other year.

He has actually said that the media is propping up this state class to make state look good and it is artificial. Haha, his flock is eating it up.

The best crop of Miss ever and they have no ins and limited scholarships. He has to hit spin control early. Wait until we throttle that ass in oxford.

Yup, all that tells me is that we're going to clean house in-state this year and that he knows it.

SouthMsDawg
04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1513863/highlights/15836374

I don't really care about what the stop watches said yesterday -- it only took me about 15 seconds worth of watching this video to know he's got good enough football speed...

THIS

He's playing 6A football vs the Meridians, Petals, Brandons, and Hattiesburgs of the world. Kid can play

How many athletes do you know that start on both sides of the ball in 6A ball here in Mississippi? Very few and Cam is one of those.

HancockCountyDog
04-15-2014, 12:25 PM
I just checked, and it looks like the times were slow for everybody. They clocked Spivey at 4.84. Dear was actually one of the fastest kids there, and Linton was clocked even faster at 4.62; the more I hear about him, the more I think he's going to be a stud. We need to keep him.

They probably actually did a laser timed 40 yard dash as opposed to coaches hand stopping them about a yard before they cross to make kids feel better. Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77 at the combine. Yes, that ALL SEC WR ran a 4.77.

It doesn't surprise me that a HS kid that has no track training would run a 5.01. That is probably what he would run if he did it in Indy. Big deal.

Also, lets remember that come December/January we are probably going to drop a handful of these commits that we have now. Its happened almost every year. We might say it is for 'grades' or 'attitude', but it is almost always because we stopped thinking that player could help us win game.

That is what we need to be doing. Bama does it. LSU does it. The bears do it, and we need to do it.

Now Im not saying this will happen with Myers, but Im just saying it will happen this year.

smootness
04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
They probably actually did a laser timed 40 yard dash as opposed to coaches hand stopping them about a yard before they cross to make kids feel better. Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77 at the combine. Yes, that ALL SEC WR ran a 4.77.

It doesn't surprise me that a HS kid that has no track training would run a 5.01. That is probably what he would run if he did it in Indy. Big deal.

Also, lets remember that come December/January we are probably going to drop a handful of these commits that we have now. Its happened almost every year. We might say it is for 'grades' or 'attitude', but it is almost always because we stopped thinking that player could help us win game.

That is what we need to be doing. Bama does it. LSU does it. The bears do it, and we need to do it.

Now Im not saying this will happen with Myers, but Im just saying it will happen this year.

There's no doubt they were laser-timed rather than hand-timed. I'm just saying that either way, 4.84 or 5.01, even 4.77, is obviously not what you want to see from a WR. And I think it can all be explained by not knowing the proper technique. The difference in 4.5 and 5 flat isn't really all that great and can happen if you get off to a slow start or stumble, etc.

My guess is that someone like Cam Myers, in 4 years' time, would run around a 4.6 at the NFL combine.

And I definitely don't think he'll be one that we drop. I don't think anyone we have now, outside of perhaps Kentavious Thomas, is a candidate for that.

thf24
04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

This. Running a good 40 these days comes down to technique just as much as athleticism. An athletic lineman with good instruction can put up just as good of a time as a receiver without instruction. If you watch guys running it, many of them look nothing like they would on the field with the ball in their hands. It's not that great of an indicator of true speed anymore (above 4.4 or so, the guys below that are obviously burners), especially with high school players.

HancockCountyDog
04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
And I definitely don't think he'll be one that we drop. I don't think anyone we have now, outside of perhaps Kentavious Thomas, is a candidate for that.

Too early to tell. Wait until Big Dawg camp and see how he competes with other kids we want.

I still remember us taking a commit from the kid from Biloxi a few years ago. We tried to spin it as a grades issue - it wasn't, he just didn't improve as the season went on. He went to ULL (qualified obviously) and redshirted. We clearly made the right call. If he couldn't play as a freshman at ULL then he would have never been a factor here.

If Im not mistaken, Austin was a Dandy Dozen player.

engie
04-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Too early to tell. Wait until Big Dawg camp and see how he competes with other kids we want.

I still remember us taking a commit from the kid from Biloxi a few years ago. We tried to spin it as a grades issue - it wasn't, he just didn't improve as the season went on. He went to ULL (qualified obviously) and redshirted. We clearly made the right call. If he couldn't play as a freshman at ULL then he would have never been a factor here.

If Im not mistaken, Austin was a Dandy Dozen player.

Situations couldn't be more different. Austin was not and is not Cam Myers. Not even close. Myers has more career TDs before his senior year even starts than Austin had in his career.

We aren't dropping Cam Myers. Believe it, take it, leave it. He's an elite "football player" and I don't need a stopwatch to show me that. Austin was strictly a combine/measurable guy that blew up in the summer and didn't do much during the season(either year).

Also too much "MSU" talent coming through the pipeline down there to go and piss them off regardless -- especially when Myers is one of our lead recruiters in the class and a "key" to 4-5 future 4* talents ending up at MSU.

This is honestly a pretty bad topic. Maybe worth discussing if he doesn't dominate on the field and win MVP in state championship games(again) this year... Otherwise, we just gave Yancy exactly what he wanted -- MSU fans publicly questioning a key piece of the signing class on a public message board that are almost assuredly being linked back to Myers.

Want to create doubt in the minds of the little "Mississippi grand slam" down south that we currently lead for? Plant the seed of doubt about a guy that's been a key cog in getting them interested in MSU in the first place.

messageboardsuperhero
04-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Why even start this topic? I'm sure UM people have probably already taken screen shots of this thread and shown it to everyone at this kid's school- that kind of shit is what those people live for. I still can't believe some of you haven't figured this out yet.

Considering their track record, if Mullen and co. took this guy's commitment this early in the class, he's probably a damn good player. Just leave it at that.

OldFatDog
04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Why even start this topic? I'm sure UM people have probably already taken screen shots of this thread and shown it to everyone at this kid's school- that kind of shit is what those people live for. I still can't believe some of you haven't figured this out yet.

Considering their track record, if Mullen and co. took this guy's commitment this early in the class, he's probably a damn good player. Just leave it at that.

This times ten. Many on this board simply have a compulsive need to bitch. Damn the consequences.

Todd4State
04-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I've seen Cameron Myers play before. I'm surprised about his height because when I saw him play he looked like he was a lot closer to 6'2" than he was to 5'11". But I'd say that Myers is better than Gabe Myles, who is another player that I really liked and I'm comparing him to Myers because both are athletes that played QB in high school. Even if Cam Myers is 5'11", we would still no doubt take him. He's a very talented player- and he led his team to a state title in 6A football in Mississippi.

If we dropped him, it would be one of the dumbest if not the dumbest recruiting decision that Dan has ever made. But that's not going to happen.

BankerDog
04-15-2014, 02:55 PM
This thread just needs to be deleted. People will use this against us. Kent Thomas is a 4* RB from GA. We will not drop him. Some of our fans are so stupid. We have seen stuff like this used against us before why risk it again? Especially with a guy who is close to one of the top players in the state in 2016 and 2015 (Javon Patterson).

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Ok...if you hate the thread so much, stop bumping it up. I really have no idea what your reply is about. This isn't about Kentavious Thomas.