PDA

View Full Version : Fredi Gonzalez

smootness
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Should be fired tonight. Our bullpen use and refusal to bring Kimbrel in before the 9th is beyond idiotic. It lost us the Dodgers series last year, and it's about to kill what was potentially a chance to go on a nice run here early in the season.

smootness
04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
And somehow Sandberg one-ups him. Haha wow...maybe baseball managers just aren't that bright across the board.

TheRef
04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
DAN UGGLA!!! You meathead sonuva biscuit-eating bulldog I love you....

msstate7
04-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Called a bounce back year from bj and uggla this year. Both are playing pretty well lately.

shoeless joe
04-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Why the hate for fredi?? Not just this thread but in general?

Yeah he made a bad call not to bring kimbrel in last year in game 4...but he took a team to 96 wins that had two highly paid everyday players hittin <.150. Heyward was out with injury for a large portion of the beginning and end of year. Two bullpen aces were out for the year.

I guess I just don't get focusing on the mistakes, all managers make bad decisions in game on occasion, but he did a masterful job of gettin this team to where it was last year. And he has them playing well at this point.

smootness
04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
I've always said that Fredi is a good manager in regard to attitude/morale but he doesn't make good decisions. Thankfully, he's stopped a lot of the dumb bunting stuff he used to do, but his bullpen use is usually insane.

I can't credit him with the 96 wins. Our pitching and defense were great last year. Everyone looks at offense, which is why people can't figure out why the Nats only won 86 - their defense was, and still is, atrocious. Fredi certainly helped, but it's not like he took an 85-win team and won 96. It doesn't work that way in baseball.

But anything positive he did last year went out the window with the Dodgers series. Once you're in the postseason, those in-game decisions become monumental.

The guy thought Schafer had a higher OBP than Heyward a few yrs ago when Schafer's was well below .300 and Heyward was almost leading the league. Still blows my mind.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
**** Dan Uggly. I'd still trade his ass for a box of balls and call it a win. That said, he was badass tonight. Just further proves that a blind squirrel can still find a nut every so often.

oldjoedawg
04-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Should be fired tonight. Our bullpen use and refusal to bring Kimbrel in before the 9th is beyond idiotic. It lost us the Dodgers series last year, and it's about to kill what was potentially a chance to go on a nice run here early in the season.

Kimbrel has a sore shoulder...... happened after Sat. game....

shoeless joe
04-14-2014, 10:38 PM
In the game of baseball, over a long season, attitude/morale are huge traits a manager can impose on his team. Fredi is a whole lot like cox was in that respect. And cox made questionable decisions in postseason that cost his teams. But these "questionable" decisions were basically him riding the horses that got them to the point they were at. And in the long run that breeds respect from players and improves those factors you mentioned.

The worst decisions fredi has made in his time in Atlanta was leaving uggla off of the postseason roster.

smootness
04-14-2014, 10:39 PM
The worst decisions fredi has made in his time in Atlanta was leaving uggla off of the postseason roster.

No, I agreed 100% with that.

shoeless joe
04-14-2014, 11:10 PM
His replacement had 1 hit in 4 games...I guarantee uggla woulda got 1 hit and it may have been a 3 run bomb. Plus he's a plus defender and a team leader. But no need to rehash that argument. Glad to see he's barreling balls up so far this year.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2014, 11:21 PM
His replacement had 1 hit in 4 games...I guarantee uggla woulda got 1 hit and it may have been a 3 run bomb. Plus he's a plus defender and a team leader. But no need to rehash that argument. Glad to see he's barreling balls up so far this year.

All that barreling up for a smooth .222 BA and .665 OPS. Dude is a shell of himself with a ton of holes in his swing. And a plus defender? LMFAO. He's been widely regarded as a shitty defender his whole career, tolerable only because of his bat. The Marlins wanted to move him over to 1B because of his defensive suck. Never understood why the Braves were so enamored with him, outside of him being a Brave killer and his numbers at The Ted.

smootness
04-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Uh, no. He has always been a below-average defensive 2B and is now a below-average offensive 2B as well.

Political Hack
04-15-2014, 06:53 AM
Kimbrell is out for a few games.

BoomBoom
04-15-2014, 07:41 AM
All that barreling up for a smooth .222 BA and .665 OPS. Dude is a shell of himself with a ton of holes in his swing. And a plus defender? LMFAO. He's been widely regarded as a shitty defender his whole career, tolerable only because of his bat. The Marlins wanted to move him over to 1B because of his defensive suck. Never understood why the Braves were so enamored with him, outside of him being a Brave killer and his numbers at The Ted.

his defensive suckitude was overhyped. adjusted for his park and his incredibly terrible 1B, he was an average defensive 2B. probably declined with age to below average now.

smootness
04-15-2014, 07:52 AM
his defensive suckitude was overhyped. adjusted for his park and his incredibly terrible 1B, he was an average defensive 2B. probably declined with age to below average now.

Park adjustments for infielders are going to be very minimal and are already factored into advanced defensive metrics. His home/road splits with the Marlins were kind of crazy, but it was likely nothing more than an anomaly. No one can explain to me why a 2B would be so drastically different at one park versus another. Obviously it matters much more for offense as the actual dimensions change. For a 2B, every park is the same - some may have turf/dirt/grass disparities, but a major-league position player should be able to account for these without too much problem.

The advanced metrics all agree with traditional stats and scouts - Uggla has always been a below-average defensive player. He may not have always been completely horrible, but he's never been even league average.

And his mental focus and effort leave definitely wane at times. Some of his throws are just inexplicable.

msstate7
04-15-2014, 07:55 AM
I've never thought effort was an issue with uggla.

smootness
04-15-2014, 08:11 AM
I've never thought effort was an issue with uggla.

Lately, he's had some effort issues in the field, like his throw last night in which he had time to make a normal throw but never came up all the way from his crouch - just lazily submarined it and threw way off the mark. That's effort, and there's no excuse for it. Uggla has always hustled and played the game hard, but lately I can't say that about him in the field.

BoomBoom
04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Park adjustments for infielders are going to be very minimal and are already factored into advanced defensive metrics. His home/road splits with the Marlins were kind of crazy, but it was likely nothing more than an anomaly. No one can explain to me why a 2B would be so drastically different at one park versus another. Obviously it matters much more for offense as the actual dimensions change. For a 2B, every park is the same - some may have turf/dirt/grass disparities, but a major-league position player should be able to account for these without too much problem.

The advanced metrics all agree with traditional stats and scouts - Uggla has always been a below-average defensive player. He may not have always been completely horrible, but he's never been even league average.

And his mental focus and effort leave definitely wane at times. Some of his throws are just inexplicable.

Marlins field was notorious back then for how terrible the infield was. And his home/road splits held over 5 years, so you can't say SSS. Either there was an outside factor, or the stats are junk no matter the sample size.