PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Maroon & White Game 2014 Edition

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Gents, I was able to make it down to SBW Saturday and catch the spring game. Here's what I saw. (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/football/2014/4/14/5611982/wmd-armchair-qb-maroon-white-game-2014-edition-dan-mullen-anthony-dixon-dak-prescott#comments) You all know the drill. Let's talk spring football.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
I hung with Dan for a few innings in LFL saturday. Dude has lost a ton of weight.

Bump, cam and boobie were all there with us. Boobie is big. Bump was drinking bud heavies.

PassInterference
04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Good article. Would read again.

Ready for football season!

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Great run down - and after all the baseball firestorm this weekend - a nice change of pace.

Only looking at the stats and recap, it looks like getting Fitz some experience this spring was a priority and he showed why the staff wanted him. I still think he will be big part of our future plans at QB.

thf24
04-14-2014, 10:16 AM
I saw someone say a little while back that Brown was among our fastest receivers in addition to being a good possession guy, is that true?

Martianlander
04-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I saw someone say a little while back that Brown was among our fastest receivers in addition to being a good possession guy, is that true?

He looked good Saturday. Thought Johnson did a good job too.

Irondawg
04-14-2014, 10:47 AM
My biggest impression was from Fitzgerald. He looked MUCH better than I thought he would as a passer. Tight spiral with at least average velocity and the motion looked smoother than i thought it was going to look. Not having seen Staley yet, I'm not anticipating this being a very interesting competition between them.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I really hope we rs Staley & Fitzgerald. There's really no reason to play either this year unless Dak or Damian gets hurt. Also if 1 of them turn out to be that stud qb we hope I would hate to have wasted a year of eligibility on 10 snaps just to stagger those 2 guys.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2014, 11:25 AM

I don't know about "among our fastest," but he certainly stretched the field on Saturday. He made several catches of 20+ yards and looked like our best WR. Now in fairness, Tubby, Bear, & RoJo didn't get many touches. And Bear made one very impressive adjustment catch where he out-fought a DB. That said, I look for Brown to be a BIG focus for the offense this year. It's hard to describe just how good he looked Saturday.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
My biggest impression was from Fitzgerald. He looked MUCH better than I thought he would as a passer. Tight spiral with at least average velocity and the motion looked smoother than i thought it was going to look. Not having seen Staley yet, I'm not anticipating this being a very interesting competition between them.

I'll agree with this. He looked much better than I thought he might. The QB3 competition will be a much tougher battle in the fall than I originally anticipated. Plus, as I pointed out, Fitz never really ran it during the scrimmage, which is supposed to be his strength. Right now, I'd have to change my prediction that Staley will win QB3 in the fall to Fitz will win it. He's got the edge having gone through both the bowl and spring practice periods, plus the spring semester of conditioning work, and the extra time with the playbook. Very, very excited about him moving forwards.

On a related note, this is the best I've ever seen 3 MSU QBs look. We've never had this type of talent and development going on at the QB position. As a lifelong State fan, I'm still having a hard time accepting we've got 3 QBs who all look like legitimate players.

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2014, 12:15 PM
I'll agree with this. He looked much better than I thought he might. The QB3 competition will be a much tougher battle in the fall than I originally anticipated. Plus, as I pointed out, Fitz never really ran it during the scrimmage, which is supposed to be his strength. Right now, I'd have to change my prediction that Staley will win QB3 in the fall to Fitz will win it. He's got the edge having gone through both the bowl and spring practice periods, plus the spring semester of conditioning work, and the extra time with the playbook. Very, very excited about him moving forwards.

On a related note, this is the best I've ever seen 3 MSU QBs look. We've never had this type of talent and development going on at the QB position. As a lifelong State fan, I'm still having a hard time accepting we've got 3 QBs who all look like legitimate players.

As I said all, Fall - Fitz is the steal of our class. His running follows the Dak style closely, and now that he is learning the position and the mechanics he will be a handful to deal with when he gets his chance. The talent and leadership are there.

Pollodawg
04-14-2014, 12:18 PM

I think this is the year, Dan and Co. will really take off. He has his players in the game. Guys he recruited alone and has coached for the last three-four seasons. Dak and D Will are perfect for this offense. I am thrilled on one hand to see that there isn't much drop off between Dak and Damien, but at the same time, it worries me if Dak is where he needs to be in the passing game to beat good times if there was little or no drop off between him and Damien in that respect.

As far as D goes, just let Collins do what he does, and we'll be fine.

Covercorner2
04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Chris Wilson?

msstate7
04-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I think this is the year, Dan and Co. will really take off. He has his players in the game. Guys he recruited alone and has coached for the last three-four seasons. Dak and D Will are perfect for this offense. I am thrilled on one hand to see that there isn't much drop off between Dak and Damien, but at the same time, it worries me if Dak is where he needs to be in the passing game to beat good times if there was little or no drop off between him and Damien in that respect.

As far as D goes, just let Chris Wilson do what he does, and we'll be fine.
Might better let Collins do what he does instead

TrapGame
04-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Watched the game on CSS and Jackie Sherill was very high on the wr corp this year. Some of those catches were big time! Jackie even said he wished a couple of those guys like Bear and Ross were with him in the 90's! Dak looked great and Fitzgerald was an impressive QB that just needed a little coaching to clean up some errors.

Pollodawg
04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Might better let Collins do what he does instead

Awwwww Shit. I am sorry everybody. That was awful. I am legit embarrassed over that. Wilson is doing what he needs to do, and that's be the hell away from Starkville.