PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we may be about to fill the last basketball scholarship...

smootness
04-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Johnny Zuppardo, from Jones Co. JC, has an offer and looks like he may be making a decision soon. Averaged over 15 ppg last year, they won the national title. He's 6'9" 230, shot over 62% from the floor, over 43% from 3, and 76% from the FT line. Offers from Wichita State, Washington, and Kent State. Looks like it would be a good pickup that could help us in our two biggest areas of need.

Coach34
04-13-2014, 06:40 PM
we could redshirt Black if we grab him- which would help alot

Jacksondevildog
04-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Can he hit a baseball too?

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Can he hit a baseball too?

Or coach.

msstate7
04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Really hope we get him

C222
04-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Johnny Zuppardo, from Jones Co. JC, has an offer and looks like he may be making a decision soon. Averaged over 15 ppg last year, they won the national title. He's 6'9" 230, shot over 62% from the floor, over 43% from 3, and 76% from the FT line. Offers from Wichita State, Washington, and Kent State. Looks like it would be a good pickup that could help us in our two biggest areas of need.

Are you sure that Witchita St offer is legit? May want to check with RICKRAYMADE and the rest of them.

msstate7
04-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Notice you didn't put rebounding stats. Hope he can rebound

tcdog70
04-13-2014, 07:16 PM
This might be Ray best recruit after Houston. I think this would be an excellent signee

C222
04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Notice you didn't put rebounding stats. Hope he can rebound

Madisonmd
04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Averaged 1 ppg and 1rpg at Ark State as freshman

Coach34
04-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Averaged 1 ppg and 1rpg at Ark State as freshman

But averaged 21 in the national juco tourney.

msstate7
04-13-2014, 09:16 PM
But averaged 21 in the national juco tourney.

Good enough for me

bluelightstar
04-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm not doubting the info, but how do we know he's likely choosing us? Couldn't find too much info about his recruitment on a quick Google search. Again, just curious

smootness
04-13-2014, 09:35 PM
He just did an interview with Gene. The kid is from St. Stanislaus, made a brief stop at Southern Miss after Arkansas State, then went to Jones Co. so he's mostly from in and around Mississippi. He said he would decide soon and it sounded like it was basically down to us and Washington.

I didn't say he would likely choose us, but it does look like we have a good shot.

bluelightstar
04-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Okay sounds good

CadaverDawg
04-13-2014, 09:43 PM
What is this "basketball" thing you speak of?*

msstate7
04-13-2014, 09:45 PM
What is this "basketball" thing you speak of?*

I'm more disappointed in baseball than basketball right now

Dawg61
04-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Hope he signs

CadaverDawg
04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Hope he signs

Any chance their Head Coach will sign with us?

#PackageDeal

chef dixon
04-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Is this Borchert 2.0? The guys Ray is bringing in are all pretty much unknowns that suddenly become 3 stars when they sign with MSU. 6'9" big men that are finesse and shoot from the outside isn't necessarily the key to success in college basketball. Big men is college basketball have to be able to rebound and play post defense. Not sure what direction Ray is going with this one, seems like a similar player to Borchert, who is the definition of replaceable.

engie
04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Calling him Borchert is shortselling him a bit, most likely...

But yes, he is a combo forward...

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM

I really hope we get him. If we do, he could be a good compliment to Daniels at the 3 and we could have Thomas coming off the bench at either SF or SG. Ready, Sword, Daniels, This guy, and Ware with Thomas, the 6'11 guy and Bloodman and Davis coming off the bench instantly should put us in the middle of the pack. Teams won't be able to zone us and Ware should have some help down low. With the talent we have coming in adding this guy, we should make the NIT.

Coach34
04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Daniels is a 4- not a 3. FTF and Houston will be playing the 3 for us

thf24
04-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Is this Borchert 2.0? The guys Ray is bringing in are all pretty much unknowns that suddenly become 3 stars when they sign with MSU. 6'9" big men that are finesse and shoot from the outside isn't necessarily the key to success in college basketball. Big men is college basketball have to be able to rebound and play post defense. Not sure what direction Ray is going with this one, seems like a similar player to Borchert, who is the definition of replaceable.

It would be a problem if there wasn't a true post player in front of or behind him, as was the case during Borchert's two seasons. But with Daniels, Ndoye, and Black (if necessary) all available in addition to Ware to fill that role, this guy could just come off the bench to provide some offense without having to be counted on for defense for long stretches. Plus he looks to be a much better shooter than Borchert.

Not to mention we don't necessarily know that he won't be able to provide adequate defense and rebounding anyway.

smootness
04-14-2014, 12:59 PM

He looks better than Borchert in his clips. He has a bit of a strange shooting motion, but it looks like his stroke may be more consistent than Borchert. And while Borchert had a big body, he wasn't very fluid as an athlete, so he had difficulty scoring down low. Zuppardo doesn't have a real big body, but he does look fairly agile down low.

Either way, he won't be a big man for us. And this guy isn't an unknown, he was good in JUCO and has some pretty good offers.

Coach34
04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
He is 6'9- we have been having to play Roq in the post at 6'5 due to lack of depth. This could be a good pull for us.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Daniels is a 4- not a 3. FTF and Houston will be playing the 3 for us

If he comes here, I doubt seriously that he will come off the bench. He starts from Day 1 if we sign him.

Coach34
04-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Gonna be hard to take it from Daniels

Brad Stevens
04-14-2014, 06:42 PM
If he comes here, I doubt seriously that he will come off the bench. He starts from Day 1 if we sign him.

If he starts from Day 1, then we are in much worse trouble than I thought (and I have been more positive than most). I am not fired up about getting this guy, but I guess it's better than nothing and simultaneously fills the roster while fulfilling Dawg61's wishes. It would make us 3-deep on our 4/5 spots though. 4 - Daniels, Roq, Zuppardo and 5 - Ware, Ndoye, Black. Add Staley into the mix as a 3/4, and I am just thankful to finally have true depth there. I am unconvinced this dude just steps in and starts. That would speak very poorly of Daniels and Roq.

Dawg61
04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
There's 0% chance this guy starts out the gate. I like his 3pt%. I wonder how many he shot for the year?

Political Hack
04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
FTF is more of a 2 than Chicken to be honest. Chicken is a slasher that's not a threat from the outside, which is usually better suited to play the 3 in most offenses. Since we have no outside shooters it doesn't really matter though.

Ideally, you'd like to see FTF hit open 3's at 50% and move to the 2 with Chicken being a slasher at 3. Ready can run the point. Ware is a good center, but needs a compliment to help him get a breather and a 4 to also help him bang down low some so he doesn't have to do it all.

We need a lot.

Coach34
04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Ideally, you'd like to see FTF hit open 3's at 50% and move to the 2 with Chicken being a slasher at 3. .

Well hell yeah we would- that would make him the best 3 point shooter in the SEC by 5%. Only 5 SEC players shot 40% or better from 3 in SEC play

coastdoglover
04-14-2014, 08:39 PM
I have not seen him since high school and maybe he has improved a lot but he was not a real D-1 player then and I asked a couple of JUCO coaches and they said the same thing. I just don't see this guy turning a program and we need someone who can do that.

Coach34
04-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I just don't see this guy turning a program and we need someone who can do that.

You arent going to sign that type of player this late and you know that. We need depth

Brad Stevens
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
You arent going to sign that type of player this late and you know that. We need depth

Yes we need depth, but is Daniels/Johnson/Ware/Ndoye/Black/Staley not enough for one year? I would rather us wait one year than just throw out a scholarship to a JUCO who may not crack the 2-deep.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 09:15 PM
This might be a back up plan in case Daniels grades don't turn out like we had hoped. If so, smart move.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Well hell yeah we would- that would make him the best 3 point shooter in the SEC by 5%. Only 5 SEC players shot 40% or better from 3 in SEC play

He said "open threes" which I would think most good shooters could do that. He didn't say shoot threes at a 50% clip.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
If he starts from Day 1, then we are in much worse trouble than I thought (and I have been more positive than most). I am not fired up about getting this guy, but I guess it's better than nothing and simultaneously fills the roster while fulfilling Dawg61's wishes. It would make us 3-deep on our 4/5 spots though. 4 - Daniels, Roq, Zuppardo and 5 - Ware, Ndoye, Black. Add Staley into the mix as a 3/4, and I am just thankful to finally have true depth there. I am unconvinced this dude just steps in and starts. That would speak very poorly of Daniels and Roq.

If he has serious offers from Washington and Wichita State, why would he come here to ride the bench? Those other two teams are legitimate NCAA tourney teams. Doesn't make sense unless he feels like he has a legitimate chance to start.

smootness
04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
If he has serious offers from Washington and Wichita State, why would he come here to ride the bench? Those other two teams are legitimate NCAA tourney teams. Doesn't make sense unless he feels like he has a legitimate chance to start.

Because we don't recruit players by telling them they'll probably ride the bench.

Brad Stevens
04-14-2014, 09:33 PM

You may very well be right. However, Travis Daniels also had a Wichita State offer as a JUCO transfer and has had a year in the program. Roq has had 3 years in the program - 2 of which he played significant minutes. The guy may THINK he can come in and start; I just highly doubt he will have a starting job from day 1.

Political Hack
04-14-2014, 09:57 PM

"open" being the key word there. Overall, shooting around 40% would make me happy.

msstate7
04-14-2014, 09:58 PM
So what's the verdict with this guy? Will he be a bulldog?

Dawg61
04-14-2014, 10:36 PM
This might be a back up plan in case Daniels grades don't turn out like we had hoped. If so, smart move.

Daniels won't qualify after sitting out a year? You've gotta be five finger ****ing me right? That's ridiculous. If so that'd put us at 11 players. I really hope you're just talking out your ass about that.

smootness
04-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Daniels won't qualify after sitting out a year? You've gotta be five finger ****ing me right? That's ridiculous. If so that'd put us at 11 players. I really hope you're just talking out your ass about that.

He is. Daniels is already on campus and on the team. No clue what he's talking about.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 10:44 PM

I'm just going on the fact that A) he didn't do what it took to get eligible in the fall. B) they knew he was a grade risk when they recruited him, and C) they are going after this guy. Why would you recruit a guy that plays the exact same position as Daniels and would have the same amount of time as him if you weren't doing it as a just in case measure. To me, it's a smart move if you are not sure if Daniels will stay eligible.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-14-2014, 10:54 PM
It's because there's a strong chance Oliver Black won't qualify.

MarketingBully01
04-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Either way it is smart. He doesn't want what happened last year to happen again. I was actually looking at this from a more positive spin and you guys tried to put a negative tent on it. It's not a leap to think Daniels may not make his grades and stay qualified after what has happened in the past.

Dawg61
04-14-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm just going on the fact that A) he didn't do what it took to get eligible in the fall. B) they knew he was a grade risk when they recruited him, and C) they are going after this guy. Why would you recruit a guy that plays the exact same position as Daniels and would have the same amount of time as him if you weren't doing it as a just in case measure. To me, it's a smart move if you are not sure if Daniels will stay eligible.

You are grossly overestimating the talent level of this new name.

thf24
04-15-2014, 07:04 AM
You are grossly overestimating the talent level of this new name.

You don't think shooting >40% from 3 is enough talent for us, especially right now? Sure, worst case he's an over sized 2, but adding that kind of shooting this late in the game would be a huge pick up for us no matter how you look at it.

"open" being the key word there. Overall, shooting around 40% would make me happy.

I'd be willing to bet that most college shooters' 3 point % wouldn't increase by more than a few points if they only took open shots, as smart spot up shooters take mostly open shots anyway. Barring issues like size or character, any player who shoots 40% with a hand in his face on half his shots is a future lottery pick.

Dawg61
04-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Never said don't sign him I was replying to MarketingBully who thinks this guy is going to start. He won't be a starter.

thf24
04-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Never said don't sign him I was replying to MarketingBully who thinks this guy is going to start. He won't be a starter.

In that case I agree. I think he'd be fantastic for quick offense off the bench, but we'd be better off with a big body who can defend getting starters' minutes over him.

smootness
04-15-2014, 07:42 AM
This kid shot about 6% better from 3 than Borchert in JUCO and 15% better from the floor. He is a tad taller and a smoother athlete; my guess is that he'll be a better version of Borchert, which is just fine and can help us for sure.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 07:48 AM
This kid shot about 6% better from 3 than Borchert in JUCO and 15% better from the floor. He is a tad taller and a smoother athlete; my guess is that he'll be a better version of Borchert, which is just fine and can help us for sure.

This

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Everybody wants results NOW . This guy averaged 20/game against top juco competition. It's a no-brainer

msstate7
04-15-2014, 07:49 AM

If he can be Borchert, but play defense I'll be happy

whosyourdawgy
04-15-2014, 09:40 AM
You don't think shooting >40% from 3 is enough talent for us, especially right now? Sure, worst case he's an over sized 2, but adding that kind of shooting this late in the game would be a huge pick up for us no matter how you look at it.

I'd be willing to bet that most college shooters' 3 point % wouldn't increase by more than a few points if they only took open shots, as smart spot up shooters take mostly open shots anyway. Barring issues like size or character, any player who shoots 40% with a hand in his face on half his shots is a future lottery pick.

With Chicken, IJ, and Bloodman penetrating, he will get OPEN looks. He is definitely worth adding to our roster full of non shooting players. I just hope that Fred finally is out of his 1 and 3/4 slump shooting the ball and plays like he did the last handful of games. We desperately need someone that defenses have to worry about on the perimeter to help keep the middle open for Sword.

Madisonmd
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Bloodman at baseball game, about to have shoulder surgery, out 4 months. Ready hurt again, MCL (knee)

ScoobaDawg
04-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Bloodman at baseball game, about to have shoulder surgery, out 4 months. Ready hurt again, MCL (knee)

Great, the season is over.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
MCL isn't bad

engie
04-15-2014, 10:50 AM
MCL isn't bad

Exactly...

I had a 2nd degree "sprain" a couple weeks back simply from getting off my ass and starting back running and doing too much too fast(turns out 4mi 4 times in week 2 was a bad idea -- who knew?). MCL sprains generally fix themselves pretty quickly if you rest them a few weeks and don't reinjure...

msstate7
04-15-2014, 10:56 AM

Chicken gonna run some point?

thf24
04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
MCL isn't bad as Coach and engie said, and four months would have Bloodman healed up in August. He'll miss any summer practices or workouts, but that's not the end of the world for a senior.

Only thing that really concerns me about this is that it adds yet again to IJ's string of injuries. Really hope he can put the injury bug behind him after this latest one.

Dawg61
04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Down to 9 players right now. Gonna be real tough to get to 13 game 1 tip.

Coach34
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
How are we down to 9?

engie
04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
How are we down to 9?

Someone's counting is quite different from mine...

bluelightstar
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Zuppardo committed

engie
04-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Zuppardo committed

Good deal.

There's #13... who will be, I believe, the 3rd player on roster that Greg Marshall offered...

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Good deal.

There's #13... who will be, I believe, the 3rd player on roster that Greg Marshall offered...

#13 today. Not game 1 tip. Welcome aboard Zuppardo. Hope you break the 3point record.

engie
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
#13 today. Not game 1 tip. Welcome aboard Zuppardo. Hope you break the 3point record.

So what is supposed to be happening between now and game 1?

Ah -- just you making up shit to bitch about... what's new?

smootness
04-16-2014, 10:58 AM

I love that you think this is an actual ultimatum. You just made it up, as though if you decide Ray has to go because he only has 12 available game 1, then he does indeed have to go.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 11:22 AM
So what is supposed to be happening between now and game 1?

Ah -- just you making up shit to bitch about... what's new?

Lot can happen between today and game 1. Can Ray keep all 13 till then? We'll find out.

engie
04-16-2014, 11:46 AM
No -- he'll obviously have 9. You said so and you obviously have a clue on basketball matters**

thf24
04-16-2014, 12:02 PM
I just watched some of his highlight video. He looks willing to get rough down low and has some decent moves. Should be at least serviceable on defense whether he's guarding a big 3 or a 4. I was just a little surprised since certain posters were already telling us that he was just another Borchert**.

I'm very pleased with the pickup. If he's at least a threat down low against SEC competition to go along with his shooting, he could be a huge steal.

engie
04-16-2014, 12:07 PM
I could potentially see us losing one more player at the end of this semester and then picking up one more...

smootness
04-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I could potentially see us losing one more player at the end of this semester and then picking up one more...

Down to 8 now***

msstate7
04-16-2014, 12:09 PM
A transfer?

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 12:15 PM
No -- he'll obviously have 9. You said so and you obviously have a clue on basketball matters**

Odd that you think signing Zuppardo means we'll be at 13 game 1. Glad you're filled with confidence in Ray right now though. It's April.

C222
04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Odd that you think signing Zuppardo means we'll be at 13 game 1. Glad you're filled with confidence in Ray right now though. It's April.

I will never understand why you think we need to be at 13. So dumb.

MarketingBully01
04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Zuppardo committed

Excellent pick up. Ray won't have any excuses next year. We should at least win 18-20 games with the talent we have. It's put up or shut up time for him in the 2014-2015 season.

engie
04-16-2014, 12:24 PM
A transfer?

Yes...

We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks though...

engie
04-16-2014, 12:25 PM

Odd that you think a team that has 13 scholarship players currently for next year will be at 9 by game 1.

Glad you are filled with stupidity right now though -- and it hasn't waned -- in April**

Tell me again how good Pollard is at the 5, please?

smootness
04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Guys, please stop engaging Dawg61 in this debate. By arguing that we don't know we won't have 13, you're lending validity to the idea that is something we have to have.

In no way is having 13 scholarship players available for game 1 a necessity or an indicator that a coach knows what he's doing.

We may or may not have 13 players ready to go, I have no idea. But the premise is absurd.

Goat from MSU
04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I tell you what is odd and sad our class ranks 78th in the nation and 13th in the SEC .I promise I would not bitch about Ray but damn ......well I better stop.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I will never understand why you think we need to be at 13. So dumb.

It's called roster management and our lack of it is the biggest reason we've sucked so hard the last two years. Starting the season at 13 gives us extra bodies for the unexpected that happens every season to every team. So when we lose 3 players for whatever reason we aren't crippled but when we start the season at 10 guys and still lose those 3 players we are crippled. Like we've been for Ray's first two seasons. It's really not complicated. At all. So dumb.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Odd that you think a team that has 13 scholarship players currently for next year will be at 9 by game 1.

Glad you are filled with stupidity right now though -- and it hasn't waned -- in April**

Tell me again how good Pollard is at the 5, please?

You have me confused with someone else. When did I say we should play Pollard at the 5? He's a 3/4. I've been pretty much indifferent with signing Pollard. Add him fine. Don't add him fine.

MarketingBully01
04-16-2014, 12:40 PM
I tell you what is odd and sad our class ranks 78th in the nation and 13th in the SEC .I promise I would not bitch about Ray but damn ......well I better stop.

What is bad is having a recruiting class that low and only 1/3 of it playing for you for whatever reason. 1 due to grades and 1 due to eligiblity issues. I agree with Dawg61. It helps to have more bodies especially when your program desperately needs them. Hopefully he learned from last year's recruiting debacle and at least gets guys in here who will actually play or at least be a available their first year here.

MarketingBully01
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
You have me confused with someone else. When did I say we should play Pollard at the 5? He's a 3/4. I've been pretty much indifferent with signing Pollard. Add him fine. Don't add him fine.

I thought he had you on ignore? I guess I am the only lucky one.

engie
04-16-2014, 12:44 PM
I thought he had you on ignore? I guess I am the only lucky one.

I click view post on the rare occasion that I feel like making idiots look like idiots... which = right now.

engie
04-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Do I?

You tried to "bet all your v-cash" that he was better than Ndoye and Black. Making that comparison meant you thought he was actually competing with those two guys for a spot. Can't fix stupid...

But the ONLY way Ray can be successful is if he signs Pollard!!1!11

smootness
04-16-2014, 12:49 PM
What is bad is having a recruiting class that low and only 1/3 of it playing for you for whatever reason. 1 due to grades and 1 due to eligiblity issues. I agree with Dawg61. It helps to have more bodies especially when your program desperately needs them. Hopefully he learned from last year's recruiting debacle and at least gets guys in here who will actually play or at least be a available their first year here.

It wasn't a debacle, and there wasn't anything to learn from. Ray wanted Daniels and Ndoye to be part of the program. They currently are and will both play big roles next year.

No, you can't go about recruiting year in and year out that way. But when you're starting from scratch, it's not a bad idea to get better players even though you may have to wait a year for them.

I can't figure out why people can't figure that out. The goal of recruiting, for a program in our position, is not 'Get as many bodies as you can every year, regardless of their talent level'. It is, 'get the best players you can get, it's worth being a little patient to increase the talent level.

The same people upset that we had 2/3 of last year's class not play last year would be going crazy if we had taken lesser players just because they could play year 1.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
It wasn't a debacle, and there wasn't anything to learn from. Ray wanted Daniels and Ndoye to be part of the program. They currently are and will both play big roles next year.

No, you can't go about recruiting year in and year out that way. But when you're starting from scratch, it's not a bad idea to get better players even though you may have to wait a year for them.

I can't figure out why people can't figure that out. The goal of recruiting, for a program in our position, is not 'Get as many bodies as you can every year, regardless of their talent level'. It is, 'get the best players you can get, it's worth being a little patient to increase the talent level.

The same people upset that we had 2/3 of last year's class not play last year would be going crazy if we had taken lesser players just because they could play year 1.

It's basketball. Not football. We are currently riding the 8 year Croom Molasses & Suck train to success.

Goat from MSU
04-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Hey I can see where you and engie is coming from but I wish he had over sign on last year's class. I know I will get rip but I saw the Lewis and what his name that went to MTSU coming from a mile away . Did you not get sick of hearing they playing well for only 7 players. I better stop before.....

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Do I?

You tried to "bet all your v-cash" that he was better than Ndoye and Black. Making that comparison meant you thought he was actually competing with those two guys for a spot. Can't fix stupid...

But the ONLY way Ray can be successful is if he signs Pollard!!1!11

Oh so in Engie Logic Land the two players must play the same position to compare them in basketball. Can't say Malik Newman is better than Fallou Ndoye cause he doesn't play the 5. Can't fix stupid...

smootness
04-16-2014, 01:06 PM
It's basketball. Not football. We are currently riding the 8 year Croom Molasses & Suck train to success.

I'm not sure how this is relevant. It's the same principle - it's worth being patient for a year if it means you get better players for 2-4 years down the road.

I'll put it this way - let's say Ndoye and Daniels turn out to be Dontae Jones and Erick Dampier. Obviously this is almost certainly not going to be the case, but let's just play along since we don't actually know yet what they will be. Would it be worth it to bring in Jones and Dampier and have them use up a roster spot for a year without playing if it meant that after that year, they would both play for State?

Obviously, anyone would say yes. It wouldn't make sense to bring in, say, Twanny Beckham and Marcus Campbell over them just because they could both contribute year 1 because that would mean in years 2 and 3, you would still have Twanny Beckham and Marcus Campbell when you could have Dontae Jones and Erick Dampier.

Well, if Daniels and Ndoye are better players than the two guys we would have otherwise taken, it absolutely made sense for us to take them in our current state. It may have meant we won 2 fewer games than we would have in 2013-2014, but it will mean more wins down the road. Would you rather have gone 16-17 (5-13) last year if it meant going 18-15 (7-11) in year 3 rather than 21-12 (10-8)? Of course you wouldn't.

Please don't focus on Dontae Jones/Erick Dampier and try to argue Ndoye/Daniels aren't that good - it isn't the point at all. If it helps, use Varnado/Kodi Augustus instead.

smootness
04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Hey I can see where you and engie is coming from but I wish he had over sign on last year's class. I know I will get rip but I saw the Lewis and what his name that went to MTSU coming from a mile away . Did you not get sick of hearing they playing well for only 7 players. I better stop before.....

At least this is a more valid point than Dawg61. Still, though, surely you understand why a coach can't oversign and then hope a player runs into trouble and gets kicked off the team. There are no players we could have signed late that would have been as valuable to us as Lewis and Steele would have been last year.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
@Smoot I understand what you're saying and I could get behind that idea if we'd brought in a proven HC. We didn't. Ray was just as unproven as a HC as Ndoye is as a college basketball player. I'm not pushing all my chips into the Trust Ray pile when it's become obvious Stricklin hired him to save money while they gutted the program.

Goat from MSU
04-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Again Smoot I see your point but we knew at the end of last season about Steele's knee.. I live in Memphis ,I watch them go after senior transfers ,how different would it had been if we had gotten that Missouri guard that was a pure shooter. Our season would have been very different and Dawg61 would not be bitching to high heavens about all of this.
At least this is a more valid point than Dawg61. Still, though, surely you understand why a coach can't oversign and then hope a player runs into trouble and gets kicked off the team. There are no players we could have signed late that would have been as valuable to us as Lewis and Steele would have been last year.

Homedawg
04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Who wanted the job that was a proven coach? We were turned down by more than one when we hired ray. That's not to say he was a great hire, or even the right one, but a great proven guy didn't want our job in the shape out program was in.

C222
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Who wanted the job that was a proven coach? We were turned down by more than one when we hired ray. That's not to say he was a great hire, or even the right one, but a great proven guy didn't want our job in the shape out program was in.

Don't try to give them facts. They think we could have hired Scott Drew.

smootness
04-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Again Smoot I see your point but we knew at the end of last season about Steele's knee..

Steele didn't leave because of his knee. He left because we actually said he could play and he didn't want to.

smootness
04-16-2014, 01:47 PM
@Smoot I understand what you're saying and I could get behind that idea if we'd brought in a proven HC. We didn't. Ray was just as unproven as a HC as Ndoye is as a college basketball player. I'm not pushing all my chips into the Trust Ray pile when it's become obvious Stricklin hired him to save money while they gutted the program.

How does this have anything to do with Ndoye and Daniels and the decision to take them? I get that you would trust a proven HC more, but that doesn't mean that because Ray isn't a proven HC that it was a bad idea. It's the same principle no matter how many years of experience you have, and I think Ray actually made the tougher decision that a more experience HC is more likely to make - the more experience you have, the more patience you generally have and the less likely you are to cut corners.

If you are saying you're still on the fence on Ray b/c he's unproven, or even if you're saying we should get rid of him and get someone more proven, it still doesn't mean that because he's unproven the right move is to take a less talented player just because he can play year 1.

That's what I don't get - if your sole position is, 'He is unproven and I think we can do better,' then just say that. Trying to stretch things to make every decision look bad isn't helping your argument, it's making it weaker. It makes you look like someone who is insane and just out to get Ray.

Your argument is like me saying, 'Mullen better not bring in any JUCO OL next year or else he should be fired' and someone responding, 'That's crazy, bringing in some JUCO OL may be exactly the right decision, there have been a lot of JUCO OL who stepped right in and had success,' and me coming back with, 'I don't care, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if he could beat LSU or Alabama'. Huh? How does being wrong on JUCO OL make the point that Mullen can't beat the big boys?

chef dixon
04-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I understand the reasoning that you don't just oversign just to get bodies but instead take the time to get the best players possible. The problem is, are these guys Ray is getting really the best players possible? There are zero incoming players to truly be excited about, which unfortunately to this point, has been a Rick Ray theme.

smootness
04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
I understand the reasoning that you don't just oversign just to get bodies but instead take the time to get the best players possible. The problem is, are these guys Ray is getting really the best players possible? There are zero incoming players to truly be excited about, which unfortunately to this point, has been a Rick Ray theme.

We don't know yet, thus why most rational people are still in wait-and-see mode. Obviously if Ndoye and Daniels don't look like good enough players and we continue to struggle as we have, everyone will jump off the bandwagon.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
@smoot who signs jucos so they can sit for a year? Nobody. Jucos are designed for immediate help. Not to sign and wait a year. Especially with an already depleted roster. Ray didn't sign elite talent with the knowing that they were sitting out the year. He signed a decent Juco and a questionable SEC level talent and then later found out he wouldn't be able to use them. He mismanaged the roster. Quit spinning it like Ray all along planned to have Daniels and Ndoye not get qualified and that's ok because they are good enough players to take up two roster spots on an already depleted bench. They aren't. We needed that help last year. With two extra bodies and even a third because Ray wanted to save the last scholarship we most likely win 3-4 more games last year and almost nobody is calling for Ray's head. That's on Ray.

C222
04-16-2014, 02:06 PM

I was excited when we signed IJ.
I'm excited about Houston.
I'm excited about Tookie.

smootness
04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
@smoot who signs jucos so they can sit for a year? Nobody. Jucos are designed for immediate help. Not to sign and wait a year. Especially with an already depleted roster. Ray didn't sign elite talent with the knowing that they were sitting out the year. He signed a decent Juco and a questionable SEC level talent and then later found out he wouldn't be able to use them. He mismanaged the roster. Quit spinning it like Ray all along planned to have Daniels and Ndoye not get qualified and that's ok because they are good enough players to take up two roster spots on an already depleted bench. They aren't. We needed that help last year. With two extra bodies and even a third because Ray wanted to save the last scholarship we most likely win 3-4 more games last year and almost nobody is calling for Ray's head. That's on Ray.

And with that last statement, you've just explained exactly why it is usually the more experienced coaches, or at least the ones who have the balls to make the best long-term decision, who make those kinds of decisions. Yes, having any warm body would have been better for last year's team than having Ndoye and Daniels not playing. No one disputes that. And yes, irrational fans who can't see the forest for the trees are more upset with him than they would have been had he made decisions designed simply to squeeze out an extra win or two in a rebuilding year to the detriment of our long-term hopes. That wouldn't make it the right decision. You're right, it is on Ray - and I'm glad he made that decision. Decisions made for the sole purpose of reducing the amount of pressure/criticism you receive from fans are bad decisions.

I never said Ray planned all along for them to sit out a year. Obviously he would have rather had them this year; but he obviously knew there was a chance for both of them that they wouldn't be able to play year 1, but he still chose them because he obviously wants them to be a part of the team long-term, regardless of what happened year 1. Otherwise he wouldn't have still brought Daniels in.

Who signs JUCOs so they can sit for a year? I have no idea. Would you wait on Dontae Jones? Marshall Henderson? Branden Vincent? Chris Porter?

engie
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

The player we just signed has offers from teams that have been to 6 Sweet 16s since we last went. If people can't get excited about that, it's indicative of a "them" problem -- not a Ray problem.

The incoming class's "Sweet 16" offers since MSU last went.
Houston - 4
Black - 7
Dunlap - 1
Zuppardo - 6

HancockCountyDog
04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
The player we just signed has offers from teams that have been to 6 Sweet 16s since we last went. If people can't get excited about that, it's indicative of a "them" problem -- not a Ray problem.

Houston - 4
Black - 7
Dunlap - 1
Zuppardo - 6

I've been hesistant to post about Zuppardo, because he is from down this way and signed with John Brady's bunch out of high school and went to play for his HS coach Jay Ladner at Jones, but he is a great kid, that can shoot, but Im worried about his defensive ability for SEC play.

He is not a SEC PF. Not really close. He is a stretch 4, that has a solid mid range game. I watched him play a few times for SSC and he had a solid game, I never thought he was an SEC player. Maybe he has just improved his game that much, its totally possible. Jay Ladner is a fantastic coach that knows how to develop players.

I think we are expecting him to come in and maybe play 10 minutes and maybe hit a 3 and play defense. Beyond that, Im not sure he can help.

He is a great kid though, won't get in trouble, he will graduate and will listen to coaching.

chef dixon
04-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Houston - 4
Black - 7
Dunlap - 1
Zuppardo - 6

Hmm that is a very vague stat. According to rivals, Borchert had a Kentucky offer out of highschool, picked us over Xavier and Georgetown out of JUCO if that tells you much. I'm just not seeing any rocks in these classes, all of these guys are hopeful projects. You can sugarcoat the guys coming in all you want based on potential, but its all relative to how bad we've been the last 2 years. I'm going to watch and hope they turn out to be good players, just pointing out that Ray's recruiting thus far is not really that close to exciting.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I've been hesistant to post about Zuppardo, because he is from down this way and signed with John Brady's bunch out of high school and went to play for his HS coach Jay Ladner at Jones, but he is a great kid, that can shoot, but Im worried about his defensive ability for SEC play.

He is not a SEC PF. Not really close. He is a stretch 4, that has a solid mid range game. I watched him play a few times for SSC and he had a solid game, I never thought he was an SEC player. Maybe he has just improved his game that much, its totally possible. Jay Ladner is a fantastic coach that knows how to develop players.

I think we are expecting him to come in and maybe play 10 minutes and maybe hit a 3 and play defense. Beyond that, Im not sure he can help.

He is a great kid though, won't get in trouble, he will graduate and will listen to coaching.

Yea but he has 6 "Sweet 16" offers. If you spin it long enough he once listened to Bill Walton who went to the same school as Kareem who was part of UCLA winning 10 National Championships in a row.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Not saying what he will or won't be but last time you watched him play was 3yrs ago. Just judging from his offers in hs to now he's improved.

HancockCountyDog
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Yea but he has 6 "Sweet 16" offers. If you spin it long enough he once listened to Bill Walton who went to the same school as Kareem who was part of UCLA winning 10 National Championships in a row.

You need a new hobby.

He is a good kid, he may be able to help. He isn't a PF in SEC play. That doesn't mean he can't help us.

Just let it go.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 02:51 PM
You need a new hobby.

He is a good kid, he may be able to help. He isn't a PF in SEC play. That doesn't mean he can't help us.

Just let it go.

Sorry my comment went over your head. It wasn't directed to you or about Zuppardo really.

BulldogDX55
04-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Serious question man, is there anything about MSU sports that you are positive about?

HancockCountyDog
04-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Not saying what he will or won't be but last time you watched him play was 3yrs ago. Just judging from his offers in hs to now he's improved.

Fair point - I know some guys that used to be close to Jay, they can probably give me some scoop on the kid.

Im pumped that Jay is now at SELA. I hope we don't schedule them anytime soon, he will have that team winning, and winning quickly.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Serious question man, is there anything about MSU sports that you are positive about?

Yup, very positive about our football program right now and was the happiest Bulldawg within 500 miles when we made it to the NC game in baseball. Sticking our heads in the sand over basketball will only extend the suck. Keeping basketball #3 in importance will only extend the suck.

BulldogDX55
04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Yup, very positive about our football program right now and was the happiest Bulldawg within 500 miles when we made it to the NC game in baseball. Sticking our heads in the sand over basketball will only extend the suck. Keeping basketball #3 in importance will only extend the suck.

Cool, gotcha. Wasn't attacking, was an honest question. Basketball does suck right now, but this guy seems like a. Good pickup.

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Cool, gotcha. Wasn't attacking, was an honest question. Basketball does suck right now, but this guy seems like a. Good pickup.

I'm very pleased to see his 43% 3point shooting. Do we know how many shots he attempted yet?

BulldogDX55
04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm very pleased to see his 43% 3point shooting. Do we know how many shots he attempted yet?

Full stat sheet:http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/johnnyzuppardogch9

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Full stat sheet:http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/johnnyzuppardogch9

He has nice numbers. 43% 3s, 62% FGs, 76% FTs, 15 pts a game, 7 Rebs a game and started 26 of their games. Not terrible.

HailState39110
04-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Looks like Ray lost a recruit today too

https://mobile.twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/456568556604231682

Anybody know what happened here?

chef dixon
04-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Surely for Malik, right?

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Surely for Malik, right?

No it's for Zuppardo

C222
04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
No it's for Zuppardo

No it's not. Scott is in the 2015 class.

whosyourdawgy
04-16-2014, 09:02 PM
I watched a couple of videos on Scott and he looks pretty good. He does have a set shot 3 pointer though that ain't gonna cut it in SEC or college basketball for that matter. Hate to lose him but from the little I saw, he couldn't hold Malik's jock strap. Now Tookie looks like the real deal though.

smootness
04-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Making room....

Dawg61
04-16-2014, 09:29 PM
No it's not. Scott is in the 2015 class.

Zuppardo makes 13 right now. Next year we lose Roq and Bloodman. We had 3 commits till today. Now we have two commits. The same number coming in that are going out. Zuppardo will be a senior and still using a scholarship. So again. The scholarship Scott opened up today is for Zuppardo's senior season. Sounds like Ray "cut" Scott today. Something I've been advocating he needs to do and some of y'all are so against. To sign Newman Ray will need to trim the fat again. And again if this new rumored transfer signs that Engie hinted to. That'd be three trimmings. Hmmm seems like I remember someone saying Ray needed to do this exact thing a year ago. Fast forward from then until now and guess what Brick Ray is doing? Exactly what I said he needs to do and exactly what a whole bunch of you freaked out over.

C222
04-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Zuppardo makes 13 right now. Next year we lose Roq and Bloodman. We had 3 commits till today. Now we have two commits. The same number coming in that are going out. Zuppardo will be a senior and still using a scholarship. So again. The scholarship Scott opened up today is for Zuppardo's senior season. Sounds like Ray "cut" Scott today. Something I've been advocating he needs to do and some of y'all are so against. To sign Newman Ray will need to trim the fat again. And again if this new rumored transfer signs that Engie hinted to. That'd be three trimmings. Hmmm seems like I remember someone saying Ray needed to do this exact thing a year ago. Fast forward from then until now and guess what Brick Ray is doing? Exactly what I said he needs to do and exactly what a whole bunch of you freaked out over.

That's my fault. Thought we were losing 3 next year.

thf24
04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Fast forward from then until now and guess what Brick Ray is doing? Exactly what I said he needs to do and exactly what a whole bunch of you freaked out over.

Not quite. He did pull a recruit's scholarship, but you were also saying he needs to cut current players. May happen yet though, he's going to have to make space somehow if he gets Malik.