PDA

View Full Version : Who can play first to sit Rea? Is humphrey's defense good enough to play 3rd everyday

Tbonewannabe
04-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Rea is an automatic out right now.

CadaverDawg
04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Humphreys should be playing. I thought Garner should too, but Cohen benched him for 2 months after his 4-4 game and he seems to have lost his stroke (thanks John). I think Rea's slump has gotten in his head, and he looks foolish right now.

Armstrong, Henderson, Collins, Pirtle, Humphreys, and Heck, are the only players that SHOULD be 100% getting PT right now IMO.

Ironically that is 6 of a starting 9 lineup, yet at least 3 of the above listed are sitting every single game. That is all on the Coach.

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Several of us have been wanting Humphreys to start since opening day. He might not hit RH pitching well, but I bet he hits RH pitching at least as well as Britton. It's very simple- Humphreys is a better hitter than Britton even though he's not as good defensively. It's not a significant enough difference to sit him. Humphreys is significantly better than Detz defensively although maybe not as good offensively at the moment even though the overall stats may disagree.

I'm pretty sure that if we sit Rea, it's going to be Detz at first. That might not be the worst thing in the world since it would open up DH for Garner. Wes simply isn't making an adjustment to how he is being pitched. Anything up and away and the top corner of the zone, he can't hit.

I'm all for sitting Rea until he makes that adjustment.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Both Hump and Garner have practiced at 1st, and Detz has played over there before. So there's options available. It's up to Cohen to pull the trigger

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Humphreys should be playing. I thought Garner should too, but Cohen benched him for 2 months after his 4-4 game and he seems to have lost his stroke (thanks John). I think Rea's slump has gotten in his head, and he looks foolish right now.

Armstrong, Henderson, Collins, Pirtle, Humphreys, and Heck, are the only players that SHOULD be 100% getting PT right now IMO.

Ironically that is 6 of a starting 9 lineup, yet at least 3 of the above listed are sitting every single game. That is all on the Coach.

We're going to have to do something different with our pitching staff as well. We can't keep giving up 12+ runs on Sunday. I'm not exactly sure what I would do yet though. But whatever it is, I think it would probably involve pitching Ross twice. I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference, but I would have preferred that Woodruff started today and then went to Bracewell after five, but have Ben only pitch two IP's. We need one of the freshmen to step up in a relief role- whether that's Dakota Hudson, Austin Sexton, or Vance Tatum.

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Both Hump and Garner have practiced at 1st, and Detz has played over there before. So there's options available. It's up to Cohen to pull the trigger

He's reluctant to do it because Wes is the captain. But it's something that has to be done.

We're not hitting bad in the sense that we are getting hits, but the problem is every time we have a rally it seems like Wes comes up and has a horrible at bat and then things spiral out of control. It's almost like we are playing with two outs instead of three outs when we bat.

And if it's not Wes, then it's someone like Britton coming up.

civildawg
04-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Rea could bat .000 and Cohen wouldn't bench him

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 05:13 PM

I'm not so sure about that. No doubt he has more leeway based on his experience and what he has done over the course of his career though.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-13-2014, 05:44 PM
He's reluctant to do it because Wes is the captain. But it's something that has to be done.

We're not hitting bad in the sense that we are getting hits, but the problem is every time we have a rally it seems like Wes comes up and has a horrible at bat and then things spiral out of control. It's almost like we are playing with two outs instead of three outs when we bat.

I totally understand why he doesn't want to bench the captain, but he's given him plenty of ABs to hit out of the slump and he simply hasn't done it. Now it's time for the next slump busting stratagy, which is to give him a few games off. If the guy that takes his place doesn't do any better or only does marginally better, then give Rea another chance. If the other guy steals his spot then he steals his spot. It's the nature of sports, and it's not like he hasn't been given ample opportunity to lock down his spot

Leroy Jenkins
04-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Post-game Cohen said "Our kids are gonna compete or they are not going to be in this program anymore." Who was that directed toward?

CadaverDawg
04-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Post-game Cohen said "Our kids are gonna compete or they are not going to be in this program anymore." Who was that directed toward?

We may have to play with 6 men next weekend

msstate7
04-13-2014, 07:57 PM

I laughed

Bucky Dog
04-13-2014, 08:09 PM

If Wes is a true captain and leader he would be self aware to know how bad he is slumping and would approach Cohen about sitting for a few games. Oftentimes watching a few games from the bench can help you clear your mind and loosen you up a bit.

Tbonewannabe
04-13-2014, 09:27 PM

He is close to that lately. Looking at UM batting order, we might not have a position player they would want off our team.

msstate7
04-13-2014, 09:33 PM
He is close to that lately. Looking at UM batting order, we might not have a position player they would want off our team.

Armstrong and that's it

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2014, 09:43 PM

Was he by any chance looking in a mirror when he said that?

BulldogBear
04-13-2014, 09:43 PM

Gonna be tough:

LC Henderson
RC Armstrong
C Collins
3B Humphreys
1B/2B Pirtle
SS Heck
P Whichever one can hit a dang baseball

preachermatt83
04-13-2014, 10:00 PM
id move Detz to 1st, put Britton at 3rd and DH humphries

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2014, 10:12 PM

Attention ladies and gentlemen. There have been some changes to the lineup.
In left field bugs bunny.
In center field bugs bunny
In right field bugs bunny
Playing 3rd bugs bunny
Short bugs bunny
2nd base is bugs bunny
1st bugs bunny
Catching bugs bunny
Pitching bugs bunny

watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydoimous, percussion pitch.

TheRef
04-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Attention ladies and gentlemen. There have been some changes to the lineup.
In left field bugs bunny.
In center field bugs bunny
In right field bugs bunny
Playing 3rd bugs bunny
Short bugs bunny
2nd base is bugs bunny
1st bugs bunny
Catching bugs bunny
Pitching bugs bunny

watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydoimous, percussion pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg&feature=kp