PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Bench Coach- SBW edition

Coach34
04-13-2014, 09:46 AM
1. Great Comeback win over the BearSharks. We need to make it really count today. As many have said, often times a game like this can get a team going. We need it to jumpstart us in a bad way.

2. Another year of maturity and experience, plus a Spring Practice to work on fundamentals, and everybody sees why the hype on Prescott is starting to mount. He really looks good throwing the football. And we already knew he could run it and lead the team. I cant wait for this season to start.

3. Fitts threw well yesterday and also had the benefit of being at home. I thought Butch pulled him at the right time.

4. Lindgren threw well again. We should have never been in that cluster**** that allowed them to score 2 runs to tie it. Pitching did its job yesterday.

5. Yesterday is a prime example of why you cant play Detz at 3rd base. It doesnt show up in the box score- but if you watch it- it's easy to see. The groundball to him in the 5th started the Rebel rally. Detz comes across and fields it, but cant get to his feet to make a throw. So it goes as a hit. If Britton is playing 3rd, we have a shot at a double play- but at the very least we throw the guy out at 1st- leaving the Rebels with a man on 2nd and two outs. Instead Detz cant make a play, so it's 1st and 2nd- 1 out and the Rebs end up scoring 2 runs to tie. It's those little things that cost us with Detz in the game. Not to mention he later dropped a throw from the catcher on a steal because he is too slow to get to the bag on time- and that cost us another run. Once aGAIN, it doesnt go down as an error on Detz- but it's a play that costs us a run with him in the game. His .217 batting average is not worth what Britton gives us- not even close. As bad as Britton's bat has been- he's only 49 points behind Detz and Britton's OBP is higher

6. Humphreys had a couple of good swings yesterday against the Lefty but was overmatched vs the Righty. It's easy to see why Cohen hasnt been playing him. He should get some AB's vs Lefty's down the stretch- he can handle the breaking ball coming at him somewhat- but as far as a RH'ed slider- he might as well have a sock puppet in his hands. He does have 9 K's in 32 overall AB's- thats pretty high.

7. Armstrong and Pirtle are far and away the 2 best hitters we have. They should be 2-3 in the line-up. Bat Collins 4th and Rea 5th. And Britton 9th. After that? Wtf knows.

8. I'd let Woody roll today but since Cohen gonna Cohen I expect Bracewell to start then Woody to relieve. Both bullpens got worked some yesterday, so both teams need their starters to get into the 5th today. We need innings from our starter and it needs to be quality innings.

9. Not worried about Holder. He never needs to go more than 2 innings anyway.

10. **** you BearSharks. Let's get Game 3 and win this damn series like we are supposed to.

Bully13
04-13-2014, 10:01 AM
It's always exciting to win games like that especially against the confeds. my enthusiasm is tempered though because in reality, we were staring a 6th straight SEC loss square in the face due to our continued woes at the plate. I'm not going to get overly excited until we show we can consistently score runs somewhere at least in the middle of the SEC pack. we've got games like yesterday and the blow win against vandy, but those have been far from the norm. consistent norms are what defines a baseball team.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Yesterday was the most fun Ive ever had at DNF

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 10:07 AM
It was pretty damn awesome. #meatsickle

messageboardsuperhero
04-13-2014, 10:09 AM
UM was lucky as hell to even score the two runs in the fifth- they got them off three well-placed infield singles (one of which I thought Lindgren actually beat the runner to the bag), a wild pitch, and a ground out. The ball didn't even leave the infield that inning until last batter flew out to CT. With all the chances we had to put it away yesterday, that game shouldn't have even gone to extras.

I enjoyed yesterdays game for awhile last night- now we need to win today.

Tbonewannabe
04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Detz is starting to hit, he was on base 5 times yesterday. Britton is almost an automatic out. Where is Garner? I wouldn't mind seeing him dh. It is basically pick your poison. Is Humphries not able to play 3rd?

Coach34
04-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Detz is starting to hit, he was on base 5 times yesterday. Britton is almost an automatic out.

Detz is 3/22- .136 since the LSU series last Friday...how is that "starting to hit"???? He was 2/4 yesterday...want to include the UPig series also? Detz is 6/33 for a whopping .182....so truth be told- Detz is not starting to hit.

Britton went 2/3 vs Ole Miss Friday night

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/stats/bb/2014/bb_stats_2014.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=16800

Jacksondevildog
04-13-2014, 10:50 AM
It will be interesting to see who we catch today. Collins has played well this weekend and I would like for him to catch again. If we catch Randolph, that means we DH Collins, play Detz at 3B and leave our best defensive third baseman on the bench in Britton. We need as many good sticks as possible in the lineup.

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Collins needs to catch every game. Britton needs to play third every game. Dh Humphries Detz in a platoon.

Coach34
04-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Collins needs to catch every game. Britton needs to play third every game. Dh Humphries Detz in a platoon.

That's what I would probably do

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 11:10 AM
And Garner ain't ready for primetime. He was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overmatched Friday

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 11:11 AM
And bring Vick and Cody off the bench

DudyDawg
04-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Yesterday was the most fun Ive ever had at DNF

Yeah it was great. I think the craziest and loudest my rig and most of DNF got (besides the obvious Collins hit) was when they announced we broke the record. That was special

DudyDawg
04-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Throw in Garner as well for me

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Garner ain't ready. Humphries can handle himself.

Bark
04-13-2014, 12:53 PM

Based off of one pinch hit ab Friday night which was the first live pitcher he's seen in over a month? If you couldn't tell he was up there swinging for the fences.

chef dixon
04-13-2014, 01:00 PM

If you say Garner is overmatched, what would you call Humphreys AB in the 8th? Big time spot and looked pretty silly.

Also I know everyone is calling for Detz's head but a guy like that that's done it before is going to come up big for you at some point. I don't think we should keep him out of the line-up if we want to do anything major this season, especially since there is so surefire replacement. From what I've seen, give anyone on our roster enough playing time and people will bitch about them, you can count on that.

I seen it dawg
04-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Based off of one pinch hit ab Friday night which was the first live pitcher he's seen in over a month? If you couldn't tell he was up there swinging for the fences.

I seen that

BulldogBear
04-13-2014, 01:16 PM
For now, just pinch hit Humphries if we need it late in game vs. a lefty

Coach34
04-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Also I know everyone is calling for Detz's head but a guy like that that's done it before is going to come up big for you at some point. I don't think we should keep him out of the line-up if we want to do anything major this season, especially since there is so surefire replacement.

So we continue to let him hit .180 and cost us runs in the field so that he might come thru in a game down the road? Last year is over and it's not coming back- what he is THIS YEAR after 35 games and 130 AB's is a .217 hitter