PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from helping set the NCAA attendance record

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 10:56 PM
You never know when a game that you attend is going to be an all-time classic game. That was what I witnessed today.

The fact that it was SBW, Ole Miss and we set the attendance record all made it so memorable for me. This may be hyperbole, but this is close to when the Cardinals won Game six of the World Series on the miracle scale.

I am absolutely shocked that our bats after being cold for a good two weeks all of a sudden woke up in the 10th inning like that. Laxer was obviously tired and was getting the ball up. He's actually lucky we didn't walk-off on him in the 9th when we had the bases loaded. We certainly did some things wrong, but my hope is that 10th inning will jump start our team going forward.

Seeing guys like Humphreys hit the ball hard, Cody Brown start the inning off with a double to start the rally, and then Collins have a good day and win it for us makes me very excited about the future.

Lloyd Christmas
04-12-2014, 11:04 PM
this is close to when the Cardinals won Game six of the World Series on the miracle scale.

Awesome game today. But nothing will ever come close to game 6 in the 2011 Series. Craziest shit I've ever seen in sports.

We certainly did some things wrong

Like stranding 15 runners and popping out to Sucks Orifice 80 times? Seriously, we need to do a thorough evaluation of our hitting coach. We are doing shit wrong at the plate that goes back to basic fundamentals. We just don't have the power threat this year either, and that obviously hurts.

Having gotten all my bitching done, we won the damn game and that's all that matters today.

BulldogBear
04-12-2014, 11:11 PM
I finally got to listen to the 9th and 10th inning. I was dropping my son off for dinner before his first prom. All he heard was the 9th. He's got no idea we won because I admit the conversation in the car sounded a lot like the game thread on here! I was pleasantly surprised we put together 4 runs like that. I really wasn't looking for that! Hail State!

He'l be home at 12:30. I wonder if the replay will still be on....hmmmmm

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Awesome game today. But nothing will ever come close to game 6 in the 2011 Series. Craziest shit I've ever seen in sports.

Like stranding 15 runners and popping out to Sucks Orifice 80 times? Seriously, we need to do a thorough evaluation of our hitting coach. We are doing shit wrong at the plate that goes back to basic fundamentals. We just don't have the power threat this year either, and that obviously hurts.

Having gotten all my bitching done, we won the damn game and that's all that matters today.

Yes, you can't beat Game 6. Down to the last out twice and starting the inning off down by two twice and then coming back to win....unreal.

And also yes again stranding runners and popping out 80 times. Trent was tired and we were swinging at pitches that weren't even strikes and popping them up foul. We have to not expand the zone that much and understand that their guy is gassed and take a walk.

The power is going to be there in the future. Collins, Humphreys, and Swinarski are already on the team as is Daniel Garner. I saw on twitter where Dale Burdick has 12 home runs this year. Then you have Cole Gordon, Chase Vallot and down the line Austin Riley. I understand the angst against the hitting coach for this year- but I think this year will ultimately not be the norm. We have a JUCO heavy lineup to try to balance out scholarship numbers and we are paying for it short term- but it's for the best long term.

bulldogcountry1
04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
That was one of the best sporting events I've experienced in person. Only 10 minutes earlier, I was sitting there thinking, "We're done. We are about to lose a series to UM at SBW with the biggest crowd in history. We won't even make the post season after this."

Then, I told the people we were with that we had to score more runs in one inning than we had the previous 18 innings. I wasn't feeling too optimistic, but I didn't leave.

I hope the 7k who did leave early made it home safely withouth having to deal with any traffic.

cbrunt29
04-13-2014, 08:00 AM
I hope the 7k who did leave early made it home safely withouth having to deal with any traffic.
Haha I left as soon as Orbis hit the home run. I got back to my car and checked Twitter to see how bad we lost and it said it was 5-4. I floored it back to the stadium and walked in just as Collins was batting.

maroonmania
04-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Baseball is a weird game. Sometimes it just seems to be whether the ball can find some green somewhere or a ball goes in the right spot. Rea has been slumping and its not like he barreled up the ball on the 10th inning 2 out double. It was really just a pop fly that the outfielder seemed to take a bad route to and he was already playing extremely deep. But sometimes blooping one in works better than a screamer line drive hit right at an outfielder. Just like when OM scored their 2 runs in the 5th, they didn't hit one ball hard that entire inning, no balls even left the infield and Lindy came in, but we had tough plays to make and couldn't make them defensively. But that was a classic game for sure.

curmudgeon
04-13-2014, 08:56 AM
I admit. I heard us tie it up and win it in Obys. The entire place cheered.

BulldogBear
04-13-2014, 08:58 AM
Haha I left as soon as Orbis hit the home run. I got back to my car and checked Twitter to see how bad we lost and it said it was 5-4. I floored it back to the stadium and walked in just as Collins was batting.

Do you get a save for that?