PDA

View Full Version : Yancy, you are one of a kind:

Lloyd Christmas
04-12-2014, 10:40 PM
From The Spirit:

Re: Somehow a 6-6 record after year five
Has snowballed the fans that things are great MSU because they beat an OM team that was playing its worst ball at the end of the regular season.

The MSU fanbase was wanting to run him out of town before that game and Dan knows the hot buttons to press with the MSU fans and that's Ole Miss.

That one game bought him at least one extra year and maybe two.

By my account that's 4 plus million. Smart move and I'm sure he will continue to take jabs at OM because that's all he has and the MSU fans gobble it up.

The bad news is that State might look back in a few years and say, "if Mullen would have loss to OM in '13 he would be gone by now."

I have followed recruiting very closely for a long time and the last two classes MSU has had are classes that put you in the bottom of the SEC.

You can't recover from back to back bad classes.

Three and four years from now you can rest assure MSU will be bad.

If MSU doesn't win this and next year then they will be bad for a long/long time and Mullen's name will be mud amongst their fanbase.

He knows deep down the time is ticking until these past two classes are upperclassmen.

chef dixon
04-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Its always about recruiting if you are talking to anyone associated with Ole Miss.

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 10:44 PM
What's next? He's going to say that Cohen is going to leave us in shambles? Oh wait....

msstate7
How many freshmen played in the egg bowl victory for us? It was several. Yancy is an idiot.

Lloyd Christmas
Its always about recruiting if you are talking to anyone associated with Ole Miss.

Dude, it's weird. That's all they talk about...it's cult like. But this all circles back to their obsession with perception.

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Dude, it's weird. That's all they talk about...it's cult like. But this all circles back to their obsession with perception.

Or to the fact that unlike actual results on the field, recruiting rankings are subjective and therefore you can make them say what you want them to say.

In other words they can't stand reality and want smoke blown up their ass.

BossDawg
04-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Is he that damn stupid? Or is he just feeding his slop to his stupid minions?

My God, I can't wrap my brain around that bunch. Their thought processes continue to amaze me.

Dawgowar
04-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Yeah, Mullen's plan is really hurting next year's class too. 4 of 5 against them....not deviating from his plan....yeah, that just isn't gonna work for us. Next year's class is really looking bad for us too. I just won't be able to validate myself unless my school has a roster full of ESPN Stars and attaboys from people who couldn't find my school on a map. 4 of 5 TSUN, let it burn in good.

Lloyd Christmas
04-12-2014, 10:56 PM
4 of 5 TSUN, let it burn in good.

This year's egg bowl will be an absolute hate filled war (more than usual).

BulldogBear
04-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Or to the fact that unlike actual results on the field, recruiting rankings are subjective and therefore you can make them say what you want them to say.

In other words they can't stand reality and want smoke blown up their ass.

That's hittin' the nail on the head.

***Actual on field results are so aggravatingly inaccurate and should never be used as a measuring stick because it's gets in the way of perception, which you know is more real than reality.*** Dang, that's so douchely confusing.

BulldogBear
04-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Is he that damn stupid? Or is he just feeding his slop to his stupid minions?

My God, I can't wrap my brain around that bunch. Their thought processes continue to amaze me.

It reminds of me running the same play several times with minimal results, say a yard or less, then it busts for 10 on one try. This is the kind of logic that says it's a successful and creative play when all you've really done is rushed 10 times for 15 yards.

Dawgowar
04-12-2014, 11:08 PM
This year's egg bowl will be an absolute hate filled war (more than usual).

I think they will be depleted this year. OL issues. No depth. Just regular wear and tear on their OL is going to hurt them. If Dak is for real, this could make for a glorious Thanksgiving.

esplanade91
04-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I'll admit that these last 2 classes were nothing to write home about.

But the thing is, and I've never heard anyone address this, you can't recruit starters for every position every single year. If you did, every single kid wouldn't start until his redshirt senior year. Obviously that's not a real option.

That's what is so idiotic about Yancy saying he KNOWS we'll be bad in 2 or 3 years. There's no way to know that based on these classes, because 1) they could be better than some people at a particular website thought 2) we could add a freshman or sophomore into the lineup.

They get hosed by Vandy every year, and Vandy has never beaten Ole Miss in anything regarding recruiting. Mizzou and South Carolina, ditto.

codeDawg
04-12-2014, 11:09 PM
The only thing true in that is that MSU needs to win this year. The other edge of success is expectations. I have complete confidence in 9+ wins. I really feel like we win 10 in the regular season baring Dak going down.

messageboardsuperhero
04-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Funny. Our last two classes that he claims are bad have an average ranking (according to scout) of 29.5. Our previous three classes had an average ranking of 34.3.

So if recruiting rankings really are the end-all-be-all indicator that Yancy claims them to be- why is it that Yancy says we have a better chance to win over the next two years with "worse talent" ranking wise than what we've got these last two classes? His point makes no sense.

codeDawg
04-12-2014, 11:11 PM

But the thing is, and I've never heard anyone address this, you can't recruit starters for every position every single year. If you did, every single kid wouldn't start until his redshirt senior year. Obviously that's not a real option.

That's what is so idiotic about Yancy saying he KNOWS we'll be bad in 2 or 3 years. There's no way to know that based on these classes, because 1) they could be better than some people at a particular website thought 2) we could add a freshman or sophomore into the lineup.

They get hosed by Vandy every year, and Vandy has never beaten Ole Miss in anything regarding recruiting. Mizzou and South Carolina, ditto.

EVERY year we find out talent evaluation is better than we expected. We will be fine, and UM gonna UM.

messageboardsuperhero
04-12-2014, 11:20 PM

So the 2013 class was "nothing to write home about?"

Chris Jones, Bear Wilson, Jamaal Clayborn, Ashton Shumpert, Damien Williams, Artimas Samuel, Justin Cox, Fred Ross, etc. weren't impressive players in their first years? And there are several more good prospects from that class who redshirted or got limited PT (Dez Harris comes to mind).

esplanade91
04-12-2014, 11:27 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying. Most of those players you listed have shown flashes, but at this point they're still mostly potential (i.e. Fred Ross played in 2 games, Cox was an average corner who might have a stellar year as his natural position this year, Shump has yet to get any meaningful reps, etc etc).

I'm not saying they were bad classes, in fact I said the opposite. They just weren't "OH MY GOD! HOW THE HELL DID WE MANAGE TO SIGN THIS CLASS!!!!!!!!!" classes.

So him saying that we're going to bad because our last two classes were bad is a ridiculous statement, but my issue is with how he KNOWS we'll be bad when these guys are upperclassmen. It's contradictory to his and Ole Miss' agenda.

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 11:39 PM

You could add us in there too for that matter. Four out of five.

Todd4State
04-12-2014, 11:43 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying. Most of those players you listed have shown flashes, but at this point they're still mostly potential (i.e. Fred Ross played in 2 games, Cox was an average corner who might have a stellar year as his natural position this year, Shump has yet to get any meaningful reps, etc etc).

I'm not saying they were bad classes, in fact I said the opposite. They just weren't "OH MY GOD! HOW THE HELL DID WE MANAGE TO SIGN THIS CLASS!!!!!!!!!" classes.

So him saying that we're going to bad because our last two classes were bad is a ridiculous statement, but my issue is with how he KNOWS we'll be bad when these guys are upperclassmen. It's contradictory to his and Ole Miss' agenda.

Exactly. I got what you are saying. If Bear Wilson had played football more than a year or two in high school, he is a no doubt 4 star guy at least. Of course, he would probably also be at Bama or Auburn right now. Clayborn is yet another o-lineman that the recruiting services mis-evaluated.

And we'll see about our class that is about to show up- but I have a feeling Nick Fitzgerald was rated a lot lower than what he really should have been at the very least.

esplanade91
04-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Ole Miss and 100% of their fans and media folks have this Jerry Jones mentality when it comes to roster building, when in reality the most talented team in any sport, at any higher level rarely wins the title.

Tubby is the perfect example of a guy who is not even in the same league as Treadwell physically or athletically who gets roughly the same production. I'd love to fill my roster with Treadwells and Nkworjenekoduebs but it's unrealistic, and some kid from East Bumble****, MS who has no chance of making an NFL roster in 4 or 5 years gives me if not all, almost the same production and allows my 4 and 5 star freshmen every 4 or 5 years to ball out.

It's why a team like the Saints doesn't go out and grab whoever the top receiver is in free agency any given year (aside from not having any money this year to do so). You have your 1 or 2 Pro Bowl quality guys and a bunch of others who make a minimum salary, and somehow that equates to the #1 passing offense every single year. 75% of those yards come from those guys who you won't be able to remember in 10 years.

Coach34
04-13-2014, 12:46 AM
So the 2013 class was "nothing to write home about?"

Chris Jones, Bear Wilson, Jamaal Clayborn, Ashton Shumpert, Damien Williams, Artimas Samuel, Justin Cox, Fred Ross, etc. weren't impressive players in their first years? And there are several more good prospects from that class who redshirted or got limited PT (Dez Harris comes to mind).

this all day

Yancy is just trying to make the flock feel better about themselves because some Ole Miss people were at the scrimmage and word is traveling fast about how good Dakota looked today throwing the ball. They really are worried they are going to get "Mullened" aGAIN in the Egg Bowl

JDog13
04-13-2014, 01:23 AM
this all day

Yancy is just trying to make the flock feel better about themselves because some Ole Miss people were at the scrimmage and word is traveling fast about how good Dakota looked today throwing the ball. They really are worried they are going to get "Mullened" aGAIN in the Egg Bowl

It is funny he says this after we had a good spring game.

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 01:52 AM
Ole Miss and 100% of their fans and media folks have this Jerry Jones mentality when it comes to roster building, when in reality the most talented team in any sport, at any higher level rarely wins the title.

Tubby is the perfect example of a guy who is not even in the same league as Treadwell physically or athletically who gets roughly the same production. I'd love to fill my roster with Treadwells and Nkworjenekoduebs but it's unrealistic, and some kid from East Bumble****, MS who has no chance of making an NFL roster in 4 or 5 years gives me if not all, almost the same production and allows my 4 and 5 star freshmen every 4 or 5 years to ball out.

It's why a team like the Saints doesn't go out and grab whoever the top receiver is in free agency any given year (aside from not having any money this year to do so). You have your 1 or 2 Pro Bowl quality guys and a bunch of others who make a minimum salary, and somehow that equates to the #1 passing offense every single year. 75% of those yards come from those guys who you won't be able to remember in 10 years.

I never thought about it before, but this is so true.

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 01:59 AM
this all day

They have good reason to feel that way. Recently they have been feed "Bo is just as good as Dak"- but then reality steps in the way again.

Dak is going to be even more of a dual threat, and we've upgraded at RB and WR over last year simply because we're going to start Robinson and play Shumpert more and Bear isn't going to spend the first half of the year learning. Then you add in Robert Johnson, Morrow, and Fred Brown on the outside and Jameon in the slot and Malcolm at H-back- that's a lot of weapons.

Maybe even more importantly our o-line should be OK and about as good as last year. We've got seniors at C and LT, and we are going to have to replace Gabe which is tough, but I think Clayborn can do it. And then we've got Beckwith and Malone who have both been around for a few years now.

BulldogBear
04-13-2014, 06:17 AM
this all day

Yep, it's an example of if I say it enough then it must be true.

Schultzy
04-13-2014, 06:53 AM
an OM team that was playing its worst ball at the end of the regular season.

So what does this say about Freeze?

esplanade91
04-13-2014, 07:27 AM
an OM team that was playing its worst ball at the end of the regular season.

So what does this say about Freeze?

Good point, especially considering the amount of shit I still get from Ole Miss friends about the 7-0 start and 1-5 finish a couple years ago. And how that says everything about Mullen, apparently.

Dawgfan77
04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Didn't he say the same thing after our 2011 class when they hit that MS home run. How's that class working out for the bears?

Political Hack
04-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Outside of C34, I don't anyone that can troll another fanbase as well as he does.

maroonmania
04-13-2014, 09:07 AM
All I can think is that somehow Yancy forgot to tell Missouri this past year that they were ineligible to make the SEC title game because their recruiting rankings for the previous 4 or 5 years were not high enough. What a douche.

Dawgowar
04-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Jerry Jones mentality when it comes to roster building

As a one who has been a Cowboys fan longer than an MSU Fan - you are wrong. You assume Jerry has a football mentality. He has none when it comes to anything apart from business.

I agree with your concept of what teams win today. Although I would take a Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, or Tom Landry with a roster full of star players as well. They win both ways.

Jerry not only over pays over value for star free agents, he over pays his aging home grown talent. Thankfully his sons and daughter are changing this somewhat. 8-8, run Garrett this year. New coach has to eat Romo's contract for one more year (and I really would like him to succeed but past performance...) and maybe we can get back to building a team.

Not sure what frustrates me more - present Cowboys futility or our Basketball Team.

CJDAWG85
04-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Sucks to suck

Dawgowar
04-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Sucks to suck

Yes. It. Does. Mediocrity is worse than outright sucking. Mediocrity keeps false hopes high enough to be crushed. 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 - that is mediocrity. That is the best a well funded amateur GM can get you.

Political Hack
04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Bo Wallace was a 4 star on 247.

Dak was a 3.

James Franklin was "NR" on 247.

Now, rank that list into 1, 2, and 3 and see which guy consistently comes out on bottom. And that's not a slight to Wallace per se, just pointing out that recruiting rankings are stupid. Then again, I probably hate recruiting more than most at this point.

blacklistedbully
04-13-2014, 11:24 AM
They have good reason to feel that way. Recently they have been feed "Bo is just as good as Dak"- but then reality steps in the way again.

Dak is going to be even more of a dual threat, and we've upgraded at RB and WR over last year simply because we're going to start Robinson and play Shumpert more and Bear isn't going to spend the first half of the year learning. Then you add in Robert Johnson, Morrow, and Fred Brown on the outside and Jameon in the slot and Malcolm at H-back- that's a lot of weapons.

Maybe even more importantly our o-line should be OK and about as good as last year. We've got seniors at C and LT, and we are going to have to replace Gabe which is tough, but I think Clayborn can do it. And then we've got Beckwith and Malone who have both been around for a few years now.

And let's not forget about our defense and our DC, Geoff Collins. IMO, the only reason we are not 5 of the last 5, with 2 straight wins at Oxford is Chris Wilson. Wilson took an extremely talented defense and made them pedestrian. I truly believe if we had Collins back then, not only do we beat Ole Miss, but we prevent the momentum they got that season from getting bowl-eligible, and Freeze doesn't get all the over-the-top hype he got as an up-and-coming coach, etc.

esplanade91
04-13-2014, 12:04 PM
As a one who has been a Cowboys fan longer than an MSU Fan - you are wrong. You assume Jerry has a football mentality. He has none when it comes to anything apart from business.

I agree with your concept of what teams win today. Although I would take a Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, or Tom Landry with a roster full of star players as well. They win both ways.

Jerry not only over pays over value for star free agents, he over pays his aging home grown talent. Thankfully his sons and daughter are changing this somewhat. 8-8, run Garrett this year. New coach has to eat Romo's contract for one more year (and I really would like him to succeed but past performance...) and maybe we can get back to building a team.

Not sure what frustrates me more - present Cowboys futility or our Basketball Team.

The point was that Jerrah truly believes and always has that if you stack your roster with as many stars as possible, you win. I'm not saying it's never worked, it clearly has (90's Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers), but compared to the other method to winning championships (drafting team players, coaching guys up, accessing a depth chart) the Cowboy model has a significantly lower chance of working. More times than not it blows up in whoever's face.

I'm not saying I don't want MSU to stack the roster either. I'd love to have the problem of having too many good players, but I don't ever want to get to a point where our coach is telling our guys that he'll go recruit better players after we lose games. I just can't believe we live in an age where him saying that wasn't a bigger deal than it was.

At some point you have to quit making up bullshit excuses (cough, Jerry, cough) and play the cards you're dealt. That's ultimately what amateur sports are about. If you beat off to super star status, you're better off picking one of the 32 NFL teams and spending your money on them. Any of them. The worst team even has guys with endorsement deals and nationally televised commercials and shit. Otherwise respect the fact that our SS next year was a nobody they didn't want who gives us a high level or production, much like their highly rated guy.

Dawgowar
04-13-2014, 01:09 PM
The point was that Jerrah truly believes and always has that if you stack your roster with as many stars as possible, you win. I'm not saying it's never worked, it clearly has (90's Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers), but compared to the other method to winning championships (drafting team players, coaching guys up, accessing a depth chart) the Cowboy model has a significantly lower chance of working. More times than not it blows up in whoever's face.

I'm not saying I don't want MSU to stack the roster either. I'd love to have the problem of having too many good players, but I don't ever want to get to a point where our coach is telling our guys that he'll go recruit better players after we lose games. I just can't believe we live in an age where him saying that wasn't a bigger deal than it was.

At some point you have to quit making up bullshit excuses (cough, Jerry, cough) and play the cards you're dealt. That's ultimately what amateur sports are about. If you beat off to super star status, you're better off picking one of the 32 NFL teams and spending your money on them. Any of them. The worst team even has guys with endorsement deals and nationally televised commercials and shit. Otherwise respect the fact that our SS next year was a nobody they didn't want who gives us a high level or production, much like their highly rated guy.

Agree. Jerry has excuses, well worded mind you, but excuses. The fans of the team have a reason - him.

My TSUN theory has always been that they are stuck in the late 70's or early 80's where a Herschel Walker, George Rogers, or Bo Jackson superstar can create the momentum to pull others in. The fans need that possibility as opposed to embracing the talent that emerges. I prefer to see a kid develop into a local hero from a 3 or 4 star type. That said a hard working 5 star is always welcome.

Todd4State
04-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Agree. Jerry has excuses, well worded mind you, but excuses. The fans of the team have a reason - him.

My TSUN theory has always been that they are stuck in the late 70's or early 80's where a Herschel Walker, George Rogers, or Bo Jackson superstar can create the momentum to pull others in. The fans need that possibility as opposed to embracing the talent that emerges. I prefer to see a kid develop into a local hero from a 3 or 4 star type. That said a hard working 5 star is always welcome.

You are right. And they should know better because they did have such a player with Eli- and then proceeded to go 7-5 with no bowl, 7-6, before finally winning 10 games. In other words their results aren't any better than what we are currently getting out of Dan with that method assuming they actually get such a player. The difference is the way we are doing it under Dan is going to be better for our program long term.

Johnson85
04-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Results on teh field are pretty subjective too. Give them another 10 years and they will probably be claiming a national championship for one of their cotton bowl teams.

Johnson85
04-14-2014, 08:37 AM
IMO, the only reason we are not 5 of the last 5, with 2 straight wins at Oxford is Chris Wilson.

Wilson was bad, but let's not forget that Mullen's side of the ball was basically shit at that point also. The defense the first half was opportunistic and had our offense not been shitastic we would have had and extra 14 points or so going into half time. That in addition to moving the ball well enough to keep our D off the field should have been enough.

Vandownbytheriver
04-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Bo Wallace was a 4 star on 247.

Dak was a 3.

James Franklin was "NR" on 247.

Now, rank that list into 1, 2, and 3 and see which guy consistently comes out on bottom. And that's not a slight to Wallace per se, just pointing out that recruiting rankings are stupid. Then again, I probably hate recruiting more than most at this point.

But that site does composites and has all of the industry experts and so on and so forth. Fat out of shape nerds ranking actual athletes and people wonder why they get so many wrong.

Political Hack
04-14-2014, 08:59 AM
But that site does composites and has all of the industry experts and so on and so forth. Fat out of shape nerds ranking actual athletes and people wonder why they get so many wrong.

I do actually think they're the best at it, but being the best at an art is always going to be subjective. Sort of self inflated opinion of myself here... but I think I can read football and basketball talent as well as anyone on any recruiting site. And the difference between me and an experienced college coach is ridiculous. If a coach offers a kid and we (fans & recruiting analysts) question it, I'll give you one guess who's right.

archdog
04-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Chris Jones, Fred Ross, and The true frosh Williams has something to say about that.
Hell they almost lost to a true Freshman QB seeing his first real action against the savior of their humanity "Sunshine and likes to take pics in the bathroom with another guy R NKEMDICHER.

So the year before when we were playing our worst football at the end of the year, their victory was well earned and means so much more?