PDA

View Full Version : Baseball rumors

Todd4State
05-10-2013, 12:24 AM
The St. Louis Cardinals are VERY interested in Hunter Renfroe. They have the 19th and 28th and the 38th pick in the first round. Hunter was called a top 15 pick and per this mock draft is supposed to go 17 to the White Sox.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

The Cardinals need a shortstop, but there isn't a good one that can move through the minors quickly. The tend to like versatile players- see Allen Craig, and they also have a history of taking position players and making them into good relief pitchers like Jason Motte. So, Hunter Renfroe is the kind of player that would fit their organization and what they like. He can play anywhere in the outfield, he can play first or third base (David Freese is 30, but they have some third baseman that they like in the organization, he can catch (Yadi's not getting any younger), and he can pitch and possibly close. I think Hunter could play SS in college- but in the minors, I doubt it, but he really actually in some ways may be the best SS prospect on the board in terms of college players. I don't think the Cardinals will make him a SS- but they have done some unconventional things in the past, and a lot of times it works out. If they draft him, he will have time to develop, and I could see him eventually replacing Matt Holliday in the outfield after being a fourth outfielder for a little while.

Adam Frazier was assigned to a Cape Cod League team, which to me makes me think he is leaning towards returning to State for his senior year.

Ben Bracewell from what I have heard is planning on coming back to MSU next year.

Who will replace Hunter Renfroe next year? It might be Nick Flair- there are rumors that he may be moving to the outfield. There is a good chance that Reid Humphries will be our third baseman next year as a freshman, with Detz moving to DH.

Will James
05-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Everybody knows his replacement should be Sam Wilson.

Im hoping the Marlins get him.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
The Cardinals make more sense than any other team to take Renfroe in the first round. Carlo Beltran will be gone soon and Oscar Taveras will take his place in RF. Holliday only has a few good years left and they will need someone to take over that position and they will take advantage of the expanded roster to let him learn under Holliday, and there isn't a better or classier player to learn under than Holliday, look how he turned David Freeses life around. I could also see the Angels taking him because I think a popsicle has a better chance of making it through hell then the Angels have of keeping Trout with the Hamilton and Pujols contract disasters.

Coach34
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
glad to hear that on Frazier and Bracewell. Keeping those two would be huge for next year

Bracewell staying would make it possible for Holder to move to the rotation...Bracewell to closer, and Shelley as set-up man.

Friday night- Woody
Sat night- Lindgren
Sunday- Holder

Would be outstanding if healthy

CadaverDawg
05-10-2013, 10:52 AM
glad to hear that on Frazier and Bracewell. Keeping those two would be huge for next year

Bracewell staying would make it possible for Holder to move to the rotation...Bracewell to closer, and Shelley as set-up man.

Friday night- Woody
Sat night- Lindgren
Sunday- Holder

Would be outstanding if healthy

My thoughts exactly. The best thing I read in that post was that Frazier and Bracewell may be back. Those two guys alone, could make the difference in how far we can go next year. Experience is huge in post season play.

I would be thrilled.

Will James
05-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Holder to move to the rotation

Yup I want this to happen. If we lose another SP this year I'm going with Holder to step in.

Coach34
05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Yup I want this to happen. If we lose another SP this year I'm going with Holder to step in.

I think that would need to be an offseason move and why I was against it earlier this year

Goat Holder
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Man, you love you some Nick Flair. You do realize he hasn't even made the SEC squad yet this year? Good information other than that.

Todd4State
05-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Man, you love you some Nick Flair. You do realize he hasn't even made the SEC squad yet this year? Good information other than that.

Of course I realize he hasn't made the SEC squad yet. I also realize he was drafted out of high school by the Pirates and was the New Orleans player of the year and in limited action has hit over .500.

Also realize that I said that Chad Girodo was drawing attention from scouts in the off season and would be good this year and some people on sixpack called me a homer.

Todd4State
05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Holder needs a third pitch. It's possible- I don't think it's probable. I like Fitts and Will Cox as starters better personally.

Sometimes pitchers who have a closer mentality have a really hard time moving to the rotation. It's just totally different- to me relief pitcher and starting pitcher should be two separate positions rather than just lumped together as "pitcher".

As a starting pitcher, you have to be able to get through a lineup three times. As a closer- you pretty much just drop your payload on their ass.

Todd4State
05-10-2013, 06:43 PM
The Cardinals make more sense than any other team to take Renfroe in the first round. Carlo Beltran will be gone soon and Oscar Taveras will take his place in RF. Holliday only has a few good years left and they will need someone to take over that position and they will take advantage of the expanded roster to let him learn under Holliday, and there isn't a better or classier player to learn under than Holliday, look how he turned David Freeses life around. I could also see the Angels taking him because I think a popsicle has a better chance of making it through hell then the Angels have of keeping Trout with the Hamilton and Pujols contract disasters.

And because of those contract disasters, the Angels don't have a first round pick, and they don't pick for while in the draft. Renfroe will be gone by the time they have a pick.

They have royally screwed up their organization.

Homedawg
05-10-2013, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;11306]Holder needs a third pitch. It's possible- I don't think it's probable. I like Fitts and Will Cox as starters better personally.

Sometimes pitchers who have a closer mentality have a really hard time moving to the rotation. It's just totally different- to me relief pitcher and starting pitcher should be two separate positions rather than just lumped together as "pitcher".

As a starting pitcher, you have to be able to get through a lineup three times. As a closer- you pretty much just drop your payload on their ass.[/QUOTE
I agree. Holder is a closer. We get more for our money w him there. With that said I think lindgren will be the better pro. Call me crazy all y'all want.

msstate7
05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;11306]Holder needs a third pitch. It's possible- I don't think it's probable. I like Fitts and Will Cox as starters better personally.

As a starting pitcher, you have to be able to get through a lineup three times. As a closer- you pretty much just drop your payload on their ass.[/QUOTE
I agree. Holder is a closer. We get more for our money w him there. With that said I think lindgren will be the better pro. Call me crazy all y'all want.

Lindgren will be our ace next season

Will James
05-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Lindgren will be our ace next season

Lindgren will be the best SP in the SEC next year. It will be Stratton 2012 all over again

Todd4State
05-10-2013, 08:46 PM
We could/should have two aces next year- Woodruff and Lindgren.

Let's be honest here about Woodruff- he was throwing 82 against Ole Miss and he knew he had nothing and still had the balls to throw it over the plate. What's going to happen when he gets back to 92-94 again?