PDA

View Full Version : Larry Templeton

elitedawgs
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Poll coming

TheRef
04-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I had to vote my choice because I literally just spit out my beer while reading it.

elitedawgs
04-11-2014, 02:23 PM
This poll is a direct result of a great discussion by Bo Bounds today on his show.

In the 90's, under Larry Templeton, Mississippi State Athletics had:

Three College World Series appearances (1990, 1997, 1998)
Three NCAA Basketball Tournament appearances (91 first round, 95 Sweet 16, 96 Final Four)
Four football bowl games (91 Liberty, 93 Peach, 95 Peach, 98 Cotton, 99 Peach) plus the 1998 SEC Championship Game

Did Larry Templeton do enough to maximize the momentum from all of this success? Branding Mississippi State, selling Mississippi State? How would Greg Byrne or Scott Stricklin performed in the same period?

BulldogBear
04-11-2014, 02:24 PM
This made me think of a very mean Helen Keller joke.

elitedawgs
04-11-2014, 02:25 PM
This made me think of a very mean Helen Keller joke.

You have permission to tell it in this thread.

BulldogBear
04-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Why did Helen Keller's dog (ha) run away?

TheRef
04-11-2014, 02:31 PM
I ruined the joke...therefore I deleted my response....I'm a nice guy. :D

BulldogBear
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Why did Helen Keller's dog (ha) run away?

You would too if you're name was "Uurrghuh."

Badumpbump

BulldogBear
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
You would too if your name was "Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnn"

Ahhh, ya posted before I could get to it! "Uurghuh" is better though!

M.Fillmore
04-11-2014, 02:33 PM
This poll is a direct result of a great discussion by Bo Bounds today on his show.

In the 90's, under Larry Templeton, Mississippi State Athletics had:

Three College World Series appearances (1990, 1997, 1998)
Three NCAA Basketball Tournament appearances (91 first round, 95 Sweet 16, 96 Final Four)
Four football bowl games (91 Liberty, 93 Peach, 95 Peach, 98 Cotton, 99 Peach) plus the 1998 SEC Championship Game

Did Larry Templeton do enough to maximize the momentum from all of this success? Branding Mississippi State, selling Mississippi State? How would Greg Byrne or Scott Stricklin performed in the same period?

The above successes were in spite of LT. I have friend who worked in the athletic office in the LT era. The stories told to me were absolutely stunning in the depth of incompetence, and this person liked LT ("after all, he balanced the budget").

esplanade91
04-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Absolutely whiffed.

The fact that our president overstepped LT and hired Jackie against his wishes says it all.

I get irritated with Scott quite often because I feel, especially compared to other SEC AD's, he has zero business being in charge of our university's athletic staff having no experience in athletics. None. But he does understand the other side of athletics, we just differ in style (####HAiL sTaTe, Snow Bowl 2013!!!!!). He most certainly would have helped our university capitalize ala Baylor in recent history.

smootness
04-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I get irritated with Scott quite often because I feel, especially compared to other SEC AD's, he has zero business being in charge of our university's athletic staff having no experience in athletics.

What do you mean by 'experience in athletics'? Do you mean playing? I mean, Greg Byrne has essentially the same kind of history Stricklin does.

dogshiek
04-11-2014, 10:32 PM
LT never saw long term. He saved a nickel and cost us a dollar. Just look at the lighting on the east side of DWS.

Coach34
04-12-2014, 09:27 AM
I know how Jackie feels about him- and that tells me all I need to know.

drunkernhelldawg
04-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Absolutely whiffed.

The fact that our president overstepped LT and hired Jackie against his wishes says it all.

I get irritated with Scott quite often because I feel, especially compared to other SEC AD's, he has zero business being in charge of our university's athletic staff having no experience in athletics. None. But he does understand the other side of athletics, we just differ in style (####HAiL sTaTe, Snow Bowl 2013!!!!!). He most certainly would have helped our university capitalize ala Baylor in recent history.

I don't know anything about this, but seeing it makes me wonder whether this conflict had something to do with Jackie being with us three years too long instead of just one or two.

esplanade91
04-12-2014, 01:30 PM
What do you mean by 'experience in athletics'? Do you mean playing? I mean, Greg Byrne has essentially the same kind of history Stricklin does.

Sure, playing. But even that isn't a requirement. Scott's background is booster fundraising. Almost exclusively.

Political Hack
04-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Jackie Wayne made the football bowl games. Richard Williams made the basketball tourney. And it's hard to screw up baseball at Miss State.

BulldogBear
04-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Jackie Wayne made the football bowl games. Richard Williams made the basketball tourney. And it's hard to screw up baseball at Miss State.

...wait for it...

M.Fillmore
04-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I confess I am absolutely stunned that over 30% voted positively for LT. It is hard to imagine anyone who could have done a worse job. The only coach that I have heard that liked LT was Polk and that is because LT held Polk to accountability. I know of four head coaches, of programs for both men and women, who couldn't stand the guy.