PDA

View Full Version : I know basketball season is over

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2014, 04:13 AM
But now that the dead period is up and recruiting can resume I have a question. If Ray could somehow land a recruit that would be NBA lottery pick talent, what position would you want it to be? This is with the assumption that the remaining class is on par with what we have now and who has already committed? Would it be a 7'2" 265lbs post player that just dominated the paint? A 6'7" wing that can hit threes at better than 40% and also rebound at better than 15 a game? Or a 6'1" point guard that has ball handling and passing skills that would embarrass a Harlem Globetrotter?

sbcmortgageman
04-11-2014, 04:20 AM
A shooter no doubt about it.

HailState39110
04-11-2014, 06:09 AM
I saw where Bill Self was in Jackson yesterday for an in home visit with Newman

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/self-howard-visit-malik-newman-devonte-graham-up-next/

When is Ray going in for his big in home with Malik?

msstate7
04-11-2014, 06:48 AM
PG. The ball is in his hands every possession. In the tourney an elite pg will take you farther than any other position player IMO

Brad Stevens
04-11-2014, 06:51 AM
I think this tweet from yesterday should answer your question:

@RickRay1: Tonight was the 1st day we could do home visits with juniors. Just had an unbelievable visit in Jackson, MS. Knocked it out of the park!

Now, obviously he isn't gonna say the visit went poorly on social media. But he was there the first day he could. And starkvegasdawg, I can't tell if you're trolling or not... A winger that averages 15 rebounds/game? Has that player ever existed in the history of the game of basketball?

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Now, obviously he isn't gonna say the visit went poorly on social media. But he was there the first day he could. And starkvegasdawg, I can't tell if you're trolling or not... A winger that averages 15 rebounds/game? Has that player ever existed in the history of the game of basketball?

I am not trolling. I was just giving examples of super elite players at various positions to see which one people would rather have. Wing might have been the wrong terminology but I was envisioning a PF type player that rebounded along the lines of Rodman but was also lethal from the perimeter shooting.

C222
04-11-2014, 07:40 AM
I am not trolling. I was just giving examples of super elite players at various positions to see which one people would rather have. Wing might have been the wrong terminology but I was envisioning a PF type player that rebounded along the lines of Rodman but was also lethal from the perimeter shooting.

That player doesn't exist.

smootness
04-11-2014, 07:46 AM
But now that the dead period is up and recruiting can resume I have a question. If Ray could somehow land a recruit that would be NBA lottery pick talent, what position would you want it to be? This is with the assumption that the remaining class is on par with what we have now and who has already committed? Would it be a 7'2" 265lbs post player that just dominated the paint? A 6'7" wing that can hit threes at better than 40% and also rebound at better than 15 a game? Or a 6'1" point guard that has ball handling and passing skills that would embarrass a Harlem Globetrotter?

Yes.

Dawg61
04-11-2014, 08:26 AM
That player doesn't exist.

The question is would you rather have a dominate PG, SF, or C. UCONN just won because of their PG. I'm going PG first, C second although if they are an elite defender down low like Varnado was I'd be real tempted to pick the C first.

C222
04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
The question is would you rather have a dominate PG, SF, or C. UCONN just won because of their PG. I'm going PG first, C second although if they are an elite defender down low like Varnado was I'd be real tempted to pick the C first.

I'd probably go with PG, or someone that can take over a game on both ends like Shabazz did. Or like Kemba a few years ago.

KB21
04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I think this tweet from yesterday should answer your question:

@RickRay1: Tonight was the 1st day we could do home visits with juniors. Just had an unbelievable visit in Jackson, MS. Knocked it out of the park!

If you look at per 40 stats, maybe, but unlikely. Kawhi Leonard averaged about 13 rebounds per 40 his last year at San Diego State.

I would love to get a KJ McDaniels type player, who interestingly enough was a 3 star kid out of Birmingham that was recruited to Clemson when Rick Ray was there.

Johnson85
04-11-2014, 10:54 AM

In college, between an elite C, SF, or PG, you normally would take a PG if you're worried about tournament performance. A bad PG performance will end your tournament early, a good one will put you on a run. But with our team, I think we get the most mileage out of a lottery type wing that can shoot. A good pg that dominates the ball will take away value from sword, who isn't much use waiting for a kickout from a pg. But give Sword a tall SF that can not only spot up when Sword is driving but also can demand a double team, and our team looks a lot different. An team with Ware, a 6'7 SF that can rebound with lottery pick skills at the 4, FTF at the 3, Sword at the 2, and Ready at the 1 would be very dangerous. We'd have weaknesses against big teams inside and our PG play wouldn't be what you want come tournament time, but that would be a successful team over all.

Giving us a C makes us a lot better on defense, but doesn't help on offense. A good PG wouldn't really have anybody to kick it to when he drives, so even if he acts as a spot up shooter to help Sword out, he doesn't address all of our weaknesses.