PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Fitt issued his mid-season regional field predictions today.

State82
04-10-2014, 10:48 PM
As of now he has 5 SEC host spots. USC, UF, Vandy, UK & Bama. He has us a #2 at ULL. Probably about as good as we could hope for at present. He also said we are still in the thick of host discussions along with UM & LSU depending on how the season plays out.

Edited to add that he has 10 SEC teams in at this time.

CadaverDawg
04-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Heck yea, if we're a #2 that's exactly where I want us. We'll take a good crowd and win that Regional

State82
04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
It goes without saying, words cannot describe how huge this weekend is for our postseason hopes.

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Yep. How we finish in the SEC will determine if we will host or not. All we have to do is win 18 SEC games and not lose to Alcorn.

Lafayette would be a good place to go to a regional. They have a power hitting team this year- and if their ballpark is small, that won't help us. But as far as location- sounds fun to me.

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 11:02 PM
It goes without saying, words cannot describe how huge this weekend is for our postseason hopes.

I'm glad we are at home. Alabama and Auburn are going to be huge series as well. Winning the Governor's Cup would be a nice win also.

The only good thing about the LSU series is there was no way we were going to get hurt from a RPI standpoint even getting swept.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2014, 11:06 PM
If we had picked up just one game in BR and hadn't lost those two games to Holy Cross, we'd probably be right where we need to be...

As it stands, we still control our own destiny. This weekend is big, as is the UM game in Pearl and the road series in Alabama. Right now our RPI is 36. It's going to get harder to move up now, but hosting is still very possible if we win 18 SEC games + the Gov. cup.

State82
04-10-2014, 11:35 PM
If we had picked up just one game in BR and hadn't lost those two games to Holy Cross, we'd probably be right where we need to be...

As it stands, we still control our own destiny. This weekend is big, as is the UM game in Pearl and the road series in Alabama. Right now our RPI is 36. It's going to get harder to move up now, but hosting is still very possible if we win 18 SEC games + the Gov. cup.

That Memphis game still sticks in my craw, too. Had it in the bag until a third strike gets away from the catcher that would have been 2 outs with nobody on base. And then the wheels come off. So close, yet so far away. Put that one in the win column along with the HC games and another one from the trip out west/LSU series, and we are in business. But, that's why they play the games.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm glad we are at home. Alabama and Auburn are going to be huge series as well. Winning the Governor's Cup would be a nice win also.

The only good thing about the LSU series is there was no way we were going to get hurt from a RPI standpoint even getting swept.

Hurt being a relative term. Sure, we didn't drop at all in RPI- but we missed a chance to make up some serious ground.

preachermatt83
04-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Hurt being a relative term. Sure, we didn't drop at all in RPI- but we missed a chance to make up some serious ground.

very true

LC Dawg
04-11-2014, 07:59 AM
If we can't host I'd love to go to Lafayette. Good beer, good food, good baseball.
I went to a football game there way back when they were Southwestern. Those guys know how to have fun.

curmudgeon
04-11-2014, 09:58 AM
3 out of 4 against Ole Miss and we are top 20 RPI. It will be hard to move up from there. Remember, we went up 9 spots by getting swept by LSU. Going to make a big jump this week. There are seven teams in front of us that have to stay undefeated to not move down. That's us going .500 and being at least 29th.

messageboardsuperhero
04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
3 out of 4 against Ole Miss and we are top 20 RPI. It will be hard to move up from there. Remember, we went up 9 spots by getting swept by LSU. Going to make a big jump this week. There are seven teams in front of us that have to stay undefeated to not move down. That's us going .500 and being at least 29th.

There are still several teams that we are going to jump no matter what. Even if we have an average finish, I don't see us ending up any lower than in the top 25-30 in RPI. It's the extra 8-10 spots to end up in the top 20 in RPI that will put us in the conversation to get a host.

We missed a big opportunity last weekend, but the ball is still in our court. Just win and RPI takes care of itself.

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 10:09 AM
We basically need to win all series from here on out. And it wouldn't hurt to notch a couple of victories against teams like UK, UT, Vandy or South Carolina in the SEC Tournament. If we end up 18-12 + two wins vs. any of those four in Hoover I think it would be tough to keep us out. But I agree with messageboardhero, those two losses to Holy Cross and not winning one game in Baton Rouge are killer, especially the Holy Cross games - they are 215 in RPI. That might be what cost us (but let's just hope we are in the discussion because that means we're playing much better).

curmudgeon
04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
That's exactly what I was saying. We probably need an 18-12 SEC finish or a 17-13 finish and a Governor's Cup win to solidly host. Not taking one at LSU might cost us the SEC Championship, though.