PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Thing About the Bag Man Story

GrassOfDWS
04-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Ole Miss fans will get so ticked if you dare say there is any impropriety surrounding their recruiting. Many of their faces will turn beet red they get so mad about it.

Now that this story came out, I have yet to see an Ole Miss fan who doesn't think the kid who called asking for $70,000 wasn't Chris Jones. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The thing about that, if you're saying that the bag man is talking about Chris Jones, you're admitting that your program has bag men and are neck deep the dirty side of crootin'.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
The article said they bad been recruiting that guy for a year.
Ole miss recruited chris jones dad for 2 months and chris for 1 month. Take one guess why his dad was only around on his oxford visits.

That was dirty business. Glad we got him.

The more I think about it, this is clearly an ole miss bag man. I think this is an article to hide things out in the open. I mean they brought up redmond. Seriously.

I was thinking it was a bama piece but it is clearly ole miss. Clearly.

HailState39110
04-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Godfrey knows better than to write an illegal recruiting story about Ole Miss . He mentioned an instate rival and mentioned a #1 position recruit. Everybody and their mother has written a story about Auburn the past few years. It's either Tennessee or Alabama and I would lean heavy toward Bama on this one

CadaverDawg
04-10-2014, 08:43 PM
What's funny is that it was a phone interview with Flabloser, and he told Godfrey he was a Bama bag man. #ED'd

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-10-2014, 08:46 PM
This is OUR political hack

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 09:56 PM
What's funny is that it was a phone interview with Flabloser, and he told Godfrey he was a Bama bag man. #ED'd

Awesome!

PassInterference
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I think FlabLoser is Political Hack's troll account.

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Ole Miss fans will get so ticked if you dare say there is any impropriety surrounding their recruiting. Many of their faces will turn beet red they get so mad about it.

Now that this story came out, I have yet to see an Ole Miss fan who doesn't think the kid who called asking for $70,000 wasn't Chris Jones. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The thing about that, if you're saying that the bag man is talking about Chris Jones, you're admitting that your program has bag men and are neck deep the dirty side of crootin'.

Some of them are like you said. And then again some of them make a movie about adopting a five star OT recruit.

I have honestly never seen a group of fans blatant about illegal recruiting in my life. I remember as a child going to church and hearing some Ole Miss fans talking about "Yep- I'm the one who got him to Ole Miss." May have been total BS. But why would you brag about something like that?

When I was a teacher at Madison Central and Bobo Brown was there- the teacher that took the ACT for him pretty much bragged about it in the teacher's lounge. And she was an Ole Miss fan.

Heck- if you talk to them long enough they'll tell anyone who will listen how they do it.

UMCDawg16
04-10-2014, 10:24 PM
What kills me is everytime they miss out on a recruit to us their response is: "He wanted to be in Oxford, but he had no other choice for reasons I won't say." Biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard an OM fan say that.

esplanade91
04-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I've been trying to think of a recruit whose mother went to rehab all day. I can't think of one.

Mississippi is too small and everyone knows everyone. I think that would have been a dead giveaway. Has to be Bama.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
04-11-2014, 01:21 AM
The funny thing about the article is that Godfrey has literally just trolled every single SEC fanbase. Nothing more and nothing less.

chef dixon
04-11-2014, 08:19 AM
There's just a lot of butthurt spewing out of that article over Chris Jones.

PMDawg
04-11-2014, 08:22 AM
A story with no sources, no proof, nothing that can ever be confirmed or denied. He could have made the whole story up. There's no way to ever prove it one way or another. He basically had a license to say anything he wanted. Even if he did interview a bag man, he could make up all kinds of shit as to what the guy said. What's he gonna do, sue him? The story may be 100% true, but I have a hard time taking someone 100% at their word when there's zero accountability.

archdog
04-11-2014, 08:28 AM
The article said they bad been recruiting that guy for a year.
Ole miss recruited chris jones dad for 2 months and chris for 1 month. Take one guess why his dad was only around on his oxford visits.

That was dirty business. Glad we got him.

The more I think about it, this is clearly an ole miss bag man. I think this is an article to hide things out in the open. I mean they brought up redmond. Seriously.

I was thinking it was a bama piece but it is clearly ole miss. Clearly.

Also didn't it say the #1 recruit in the nation. So they think that Chris Jones was the #1 recruit in the nation that they were recruiting for over a year?

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Rebels say the interview was about malachi dupree, breeland speaks, chris jones and ed orgeron.

What do all 4 of those people have in common? Ole Miss.

This "bag man" is probably a friend of godfrey and an ole miss alumni. He is no big shot and probably doesnt give a ton of money.

codeDawg
04-11-2014, 08:30 AM
A story with no sources, no proof, nothing that can ever be confirmed or denied. He could have made the whole story up. There's no way to ever prove it one way or another. He basically had a license to say anything he wanted. Even if he did interview a bag man, he could make up all kinds of shit as to what the guy said. What's he gonna do, sue him? The story may be 100% true, but I have a hard time taking someone 100% at their word when there's zero accountability.

I don't think the point of the article was to give a word for word account of one person's specific experience. I think the point was to give people a view into a world most know nothing about. I thought he did that effectively.

smootness
04-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Yup.

jumbo
04-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm sure every fan of every school that reads this article says "oh, that's totally X player at rival school"

truth is, there is zero way to know for sure who the article alludes to.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Bingo.

PassInterference
04-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Rebels say the interview was about malachi dupree, breeland speaks, chris jones and ed orgeron.

What do all 4 of those people have in common? Ole Miss.

This "bag man" is probably a friend of godfrey and an ole miss alumni. He is no big shot and probably doesnt give a ton of money.

That's the first comment I've read that has made sense. No bag man is going to explain to a reporter how the system works - unless the bag man is a close and trusted friend of the reporter. I am sure this friend trusted godfrey to write a juicy story without spilling any beans.

I liked the article. But I do strongly disagree with godfrey's use of the word "illegal". It is not illegal to pay money to college football players. It may be against NCAA rules, but it is not illegal.

BulldogBear
04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
What kills me is everytime they miss out on a recruit to us their response is: "He wanted to be in Oxford, but he had no other choice for reasons I won't say." Biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard. If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard an OM fan say that.

I have two close friends who are Bears. One is atypical, one is typical. When Tyler Russell signed with MSU the typical Bear couldn't "understand why he would go to MSU when he could go to a big time college football powerhouse program like Ole Miss."

Political Hack
04-11-2014, 08:55 AM
what article? I can probably tell y'all if it's UT or OM.

RossDawg82
04-11-2014, 08:57 AM
That's the first comment I've read that has made sense. No bag man is going to explain to a reporter how the system works - unless the bag man is a close and trusted friend of the reporter. I am sure this friend trusted godfrey to write a juicy story without spilling any beans.

I liked the article. But I do strongly disagree with godfrey's use of the word "illegal". It is not illegal to pay money to college football players. It may be against NCAA rules, but it is not illegal.

Do you think these kids or parents that get 10K in cash are reporting this as income??? If they don't then yes it is illegal. But Matt Wyatt made a great point yesterday. If you have a player who has come from literally nothing and is dirt poor (like the kid in the article that never owned a TV), who are we to say you cant help this kid out or help his parents. I realize that it is against NCAA rules, but who is going to call that in?

PassInterference
04-11-2014, 09:06 AM
what article? I can probably tell y'all if it's UT or OM.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

There are a couple of tell-tale clues, like a mother whose rehab was paid for. Or that could be a complete jounalistic diversion to hide the guilty.

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Do you think these kids or parents that get 10K in cash are reporting this as income??? If they don't then yes it is illegal. But Matt Wyatt made a great point yesterday. If you have a player who has come from literally nothing and is dirt poor (like the kid in the article that never owned a TV), who are we to say you cant help this kid out or help his parents. I realize that it is against NCAA rules, but who is going to call that in?

I believe any gifts under $10K do not have to be reported to the IRS.

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
If I had to put my money down I would say this is someone Godfrey knows from Ole Miss who he knows has had some dealings with paying players. He may just give money to the pot or he may deliver the money. But he's no big shot and probably contributes $500 a year to paying players but he's heard stories and enough stuff to make it sound legit. I'm sure he tried to interview people and this and that, but it would not surprise me if he embellished most of the article. Like PM Dawg said, there's nothing that can or can't be proven.

This is an internet article wrapped in a fancy bow. What credibility has Godfrey earned for everyone to take his word for it? I heard him on XM this morning being interviewed for 20 minutes. It's amazing that people take it at face value. Maybe I'm just cynical.

PassInterference
04-11-2014, 09:25 AM
What credibility has Godfrey earned for everyone to take his word for it?

Godfrey is a damn good journalist and a likable guy.

Johnson85
04-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I've been trying to think of a recruit whose mother went to rehab all day. I can't think of one.

Mississippi is too small and everyone knows everyone. I think that would have been a dead giveaway. Has to be Bama.

I think that was the recruit's sister or half sister that needed to go to rehab. The recruit's mom was taking care of her grand children and getting the recruit's sister or half sister clean was needed to take pressure off of teh recruit's mom.

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Maybe I just haven't seen any of it, but what is an example of a piece of investigative journalism that he has put together? Not an interesting read but an actual investigative piece where he cited actual people in something that could be proven.

PassInterference
04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Godfrey's article about our OSU game was really good. He had to dig for info in that article. When he was digging earlier in the year, he found a bunch of stuff on the diamond formation, which at the time seemed unimportant. Then it turned out to be key to they story.

When you dig for info and find miscellaneous stuff that looks unimportant, most people toss it. Godfrey hung on to it and kept digging just in case it would end up being useful. And it was. In spades.

bulldawg28
04-11-2014, 10:33 AM
A lot of this is BS to cover real bag men. Bank account are used bagmen are recognized this story has an intent.

notsofarawaydawg
04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
I suspect that Godfrey still runs Windows XP on his computer and that Political Hack gained access to his account and wrote this article. With the investigative team we have here on ED, anything is possible with these guys. I've actually heard C34 has a red phone at his home now which is a direct line to the NCAA investigative division. ***

Johnson85
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM

They probably break some IRS laws by not reporting income, but I think there are also state laws that basically make it illegal for agents to solicit amateur athletes if it will cost them their eligibility. Not sure if it applies generally to anybody trying to pay amateur athletes.

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Godfrey's article about our OSU game was really good. He had to dig for info in that article. When he was digging earlier in the year, he found a bunch of stuff on the diamond formation, which at the time seemed unimportant. Then it turned out to be key to they story.

When you dig for info and find miscellaneous stuff that looks unimportant, most people toss it. Godfrey hung on to it and kept digging just in case it would end up being useful. And it was. In spades.

I mean an article on a related subject. This isn't Charles Robinson who has a backlog of stories to prove he is legit. Godfrey is publishing an article based entirely on your belief that he actually recovered this info from legit sources without ever doing any similar stories prior. I know he can talk to coaches, I don't know he can find the bag men. He wants us to believe he has such influence without any prior credentials that he does.

MSUDawg4Life
04-11-2014, 02:05 PM

He might be a likable guy to some, but to say he's a damn good journalist is a stretch. I don't even find him to be a likable guy.

What I find to be the funniest thing about this article is that people actually believe Godfrey has contacts with several SEC bagmen who would sit down with him and tell him anything.

codeDawg
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I mean an article on a related subject. This isn't Charles Robinson who has a backlog of stories to prove he is legit. Godfrey is publishing an article based entirely on your belief that he actually recovered this info from legit sources without ever doing any similar stories prior. I know he can talk to coaches, I don't know he can find the bag men. He wants us to believe he has such influence without any prior credentials that he does.

Question. Do you think that there are people who support schools around the SEC by spending their time and money in the way the article describes?

The Croom Diaries
04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Question. Do you think that there are people who support schools around the SEC by spending their time and money in the way the article describes?

I think the article exaggerates it a good bit. He makes it sound like an organized cheating scheme, I don't think it is to that extent. There is some organization and private message boards with lines of communication and hats passed around for players but the amounts of money and organized cheating is exaggerated I believe.

Todd4State
04-11-2014, 04:59 PM

And this is EXACTLY what makes him dangerous.

I'm not saying he isn't a nice person or isn't a good writer- but our fans need to remember that he doesn't have our best interests at heart.

Todd4State
04-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I think the article exaggerates it a good bit. He makes it sound like an organized cheating scheme, I don't think it is to that extent. There is some organization and private message boards with lines of communication and hats passed around for players but the amounts of money and organized cheating is exaggerated I believe.

I agree and I think that there is a side of recruiting that he isn't telling. There ARE recruits that do choose and wish to do things legally. He makes it sound like every recruit is getting money.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ole Miss's cheating isn't a little bit more elaborate than most schools though.