PDA

View Full Version : OT: What is with *cough* being inserted in certain posts?

Johnson85
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Maybe this is just for the administrators, but why are a string of "*cough*"s inserted into certain threads. I though it was an admin censoring stuff that didn't need to be public at first, but now I've realized that's not it. Does it have something to do with metadata when something is copy and pasted? I can't figure out a pattern.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but in the words of Stewie, I was curious.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Because some people don't know how to use an apostrophe for "Mullen's" and because a ton of dumbasses that were calling for Mullen to be fired during last season constantly put an "s" at the end of his name. Thus, when someone types Mullen(no space)s, it is edited to the *cough*.

ScoobaDawg
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Exactly. Spell his name right. It's not that hard.
Sadly that doesn't apply to former basketball coaches

msstate7
04-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Because some people don't know how to use an apostrophe for "Mullen's" and because a ton of dumbasses that were calling for Mullen to be fired during last season constantly put an "s" at the end of his name. Thus, when someone types Mullen(no space)s, it is edited to the *cough*.

I posted copy and pasted article on political board and got the coughs. No mention of Mullen

CadaverDawg
04-10-2014, 03:44 PM
It's pretty simple, just spell guys' like Don Merlins and Ric Rae's names right

ScoobaDawg
04-10-2014, 03:55 PM

TheDogFather
04-10-2014, 07:35 PM

What he said.

hailmari
04-10-2014, 08:00 PM
I've also noticed question marks in place of apostrophes sometimes.. I've assumed it has something to do with copy and pasting quotes.

archdog
04-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Trial. *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*

archdog
04-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Dang, well that works.
I correct one of my coworkers daily over the *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* and Mullen thing. That dumbass still lets it slip sometimes.

DawgHouseUnited
04-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Testing for context...

I've always heard that the *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* are great people. The Mullen family does a lot for the community, and Coach Mullen's personality really shines.

ETA: well how about that, it did it.

PassInterference
04-11-2014, 09:26 AM
That's where the situation stands.

Johnson85
04-11-2014, 09:42 AM

But that doesn't explain everything. Is there a general rule that is applied that would pick up other things? Also, sometimes it's a single cough, and sometimes it's a string of them. Not a huge deal just curious.

Test:

*cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*

ETA: That was just one merlins and I got lots of coughs. What causes just one cough?