PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather keep our schedule as it is

starkvegasdawg
04-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Or swap one team around so that both Alabama and LSU are not both road or home games in the same season? I almost think it would be nice to have at least one of those a home game every season and it would be worth it to play one of our other west teams on the road on the even years to make that happen.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 11:42 PM
I may be in the minority, but I actually like playing Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss all at home the same year. I think it gives us a better chance of catching lightning in a bottle that way.

smootness
04-10-2014, 08:10 AM
I'd rather switch it so one is home and the other is on the road. We don't generally win those games anyway, but we'd have a better chance each year of winning at least one of them if they weren't both road games every other year.

I don't think it really helps us catch lightning in a bottle to have them all at home in alternating years, or at least it hasn't played out that way. Those years are generally our worst years because we lose some of those home games, then have to play our easier games on the road.

Coach34
04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
The problem has been our best teams have been in even numbered years when we play them away. If we had Bama and LSU at home this year- I'd say we had as good of a chance to win the West as anybody

jumbo
04-10-2014, 08:43 AM
The problem has been our best teams have been in even numbered years when we play them away. If we had Bama and LSU at home this year- I'd say we had as good of a chance to win the West as anybody

agreed

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Do you think they were our always best teams or it just seemed that way some years because we played most of our toss up games at home?

BulldogBear
04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
If I could do it THIS year I'd want LSU at home and play the Wildcats in Lexington. Even better if we could instead play UAB on road.... or UT-Martin in Memphis!!!

I say LSU instead of Bama 'cause I'm still just not impressed with their QB situation and think we're more likely to lose to Tide anyway whereas home field may be difference between us and LSU this year.

smootness
04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Do you think they were our always best teams or it just seemed that way some years because we played most of our toss up games at home?

This is what I think.

Alabama/LSU have been essentially automatic losses for us every year recently, so it doesn't matter where they're played. Well, if you're going to lose them anyway, obviously you'd rather them be road games so your toss-up games are at home. That way, you have a much better chance of beating teams like Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.

I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that our record is better in the years where we play LSU/Bama on the road. I think it's directly because of that.

BulldogBear
04-10-2014, 09:01 AM
This is what I think.

Alabama/LSU have been essentially automatic losses for us every year recently, so it doesn't matter where they're played. Well, if you're going to lose them anyway, obviously you'd rather them be road games so your toss-up games are at home. That way, you have a much better chance of beating teams like Texas A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.

I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that our record is better in the years where we play LSU/Bama on the road. I think it's directly because of that.

I hadn't paid that close attention to the even or odd numbered years but y'all are onto something maybe. There was a schedule change a few years back though. I don't remember what year exactly but I know beyond the shadow of a doubt we used to play the 3 A's in the same context... all 3 home or all 3 away (Ark, Ala, Aub)

Coach34
04-10-2014, 09:02 AM

2010 has been our best team and I'd say 2012 was 2nd best. 2011 we got beat up too much on the OL early which led to other injuries. 2013 was a young team that was injured early- then got healthy and experience- finishing strong.

Johnson85
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
I don't think it really helps us catch lightning in a bottle to have them all at home in alternating years, or at least it hasn't played out that way. Those years are generally our worst years because we lose some of those home games, then have to play our easier games on the road.

^^This^^ I think it costs us some opportunity at building momentum, because we can improve significantly from one year to the next but our record not improve because our schedule is so much harder. I'd rather our schedule be a little more balanced from year to year. Also, I'm not sure we really increase our chances of catching lightning in a bottle that much. We're going to lose to one of LSU, Bama, and UM in pretty much any situation other than one where we're competing for a national title, so I think we can do just as well with two of those at home and the other on the road.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2014, 09:41 AM
I definitely want to see us get Bama & Mississippi broken up so we have one at home every year instead of both at home then both away. Personally, I'd like to get it where Bama is at home the same year LSU & Mississippi are on the road. It sucks that we don't have at least 1 "rivalry" game at home every year.

Pollodawg
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM

This. If we played Bama and LSU at home this season, I think we would split.

drunkernhelldawg
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
This. If we played Bama and LSU at home this season, I think we would split.

I realize that home gives us an little edge, but I effen hate to see the excuses start before the games are even played. Maybe we just need to win those games some damn way or other.

Pollodawg
04-10-2014, 11:26 AM
It's not really meant to be an excuse. We do normally play those teams tougher at home.