PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a game. Make out next season's lineup and of course

AlSwearengen
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
include the newcomers. This should be fun.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
For what sport? Baseball?

P- Ross
P- Woodruff
P- Fitts

Closer- Holder

I think we could lose Lindgren Fitts, and Woodruff, but I think there may be a decent chance we get them back as well.

C- Collins/Vallot
1B- Rea
2B- Heck or Holland
3B- Britton and then maybe Humphreys when Britton struggles to hit aGIAN.
SS- Heck or Holland
LF- Vickerson
CF- Robson
RF- Humphreys
DH- Garner

smootness
04-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Very interesting. I'll try to take a crack at it by position, assuming Rea leaves (He obviously may not).

C - Collins
1B - Humphreys
2B - Hann
SS - Heck
3B - Britton
RF - Swinarski
CF - Robson
LF - Vickerson
DH - Garner

I still don't love that lineup. Perhaps Rooker or Ingram could get in somewhere, or Cole Gordon or Burdick (Vallot obviously if he shows up.) Also, the JUCO SS we picked up could get a look.

I'd probably like the lineup better if Humphreys played 3rd and we could use Rooker/Ingram/Gordon at 1st. But based on the way Cohen usually defers to more experienced guys, I think that's a decent guess for how we look to begin the year.

Saltydog
04-09-2014, 12:26 PM
lineup with Cohen coaching.

Saltydog
04-09-2014, 12:29 PM
there as well. He may very well end up coming back. He certainly hasn't helped his draft stock any. Didn't someone post that a MLB scout compared him to Adam Dunn, except without the power.

bulldogcountry1
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I am a little concerned about the worst case scenario happening this summer-

We have a disappointing end to the season, we lose several Juniors to the draft, and we lose several young guys who are disappointed about playing time and other things.

It could really put a hurt on us when you think we could lose Rea, Woodruff, Lindgren, Holder, Garner, and the Canadians.

Steakonastick
04-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Yup the scout sitting by me said it. I like to call him Adam Dunn but hits like Casey Kotchman.

I think we lose Woodruff, lindgren, and holder. Unless holder gets a third pitch he better leave now before the ball changes. It will effect his curve. I also want rea to go too.

Best Hitting Lineup

Lf vickerson
Ss heck
Dh garner
3b humpreys
C Collins
Rf swinarski
1b rooker
Cf brown or robson
2b Britton

messageboardsuperhero
04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Lindgren's gone, almost zero doubt about that. Woodruff may go, but I think it would be smart for him to come back totally healthy for one more year and cement himself as a 1st-2nd rounder. Fitts will probably come back. Assuming Woodruff goes:

Friday- Mitchell
Saturday- Fitts
Sunday- Hudson/Sexton

I don't see any of our position players leaving early, unless Rea starts hitting a bunch of home runs.

C- Collins; but if Vallot comes, he will contribute as well.
1B- Rea
2B- JC guy from FSU
SS- Heck
3B- Humphreys
LF- Vickerson
CF- Robson
RF- Swinarski/Brown
DH- Garner

This lineup looks to have a good bit more pop than the one we have right now, although it worries me that most of that power is still young. The problem is- I think coming into the year, Cohen expected a couple of the experienced players to have big years and leave early. Since they haven't stepped up and are likely coming back, we've sort of got a logjam in the roster which may force a little more attrition than usual.

Jacksondevildog
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I would be shocked if Rea comes back.

AlSwearengen
04-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I think with Holland (if he is the former fsu ss) coming in, Hann's fate may be sealed. Heck and Holland should hold down the middle. I would like for Holland to have a prototypical shortstop's arm and we move Heck to 2B.

With Robson not being on the travel roster, I'm not sure he sticks around. Although, Cohen doesn't mind putting a great defensive player out there even if they hit .150, so Robson may have dibs on CF.

I am still waiting on Vickerson to show me something. Unless Swinarski, Humphrey's, and other highly touted players just flop, they have to be able to get on the field before players that seem to go a month without getting a base hit.

War Machine Dawg
04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
What I want to see:

SP: Ross
SP: Woody
SP: Fitts

C: Collins/Vallot
1B: Rea (Garner if he leaves)
2B: Heck/Holland
SS: Heck/Holland
3B: Humphreys
LF: Vickerson
CF: Robson
RF: Swinarski
DH: Garner

What I think Cohen will do:

C: Collins/Randolph
1B: Rea
3B: Britton
RF: Humphreys

Randolph is Cohen's Boy, which earns you PT regardless of merit. Britton's glove will keep him in the lineup even if he hits .069. Cohen loves him some defensive wizards who can't hit shit.

I don't see Rea going anywhere. He's been exposed this year and has hurt his stock.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 01:38 PM
there as well. He may very well end up coming back. He certainly hasn't helped his draft stock any. Didn't someone post that a MLB scout compared him to Adam Dunn, except without the power.

It's certainly very possible that Woodruff could be gone. But I think it's also certainly possible that he comes back, proves that he is healthy and potentially parlay that into a first round pick. It just depends on how he finishes this year out- which could very well be very strong based on what I saw last night and also of course where he is drafted, and what he wants to do.

Comparing someone to Adam Dunn without the power isn't a compliment. Rea is only hitting .250 and even more concerning with only 3 home runs. Someone could take a flier on him in the draft but unless he finishes really strong I think he is a late round guy at best. I think if Rea leaves, it will ultimately be because he just wants to.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I am a little concerned about the worst case scenario happening this summer-

We have a disappointing end to the season, we lose several Juniors to the draft, and we lose several young guys who are disappointed about playing time and other things.

It could really put a hurt on us when you think we could lose Rea, Woodruff, Lindgren, Holder, Garner, and the Canadians.

That's because you are a State fan.

Truth is, it's too soon to know and the best case scenario probably won't happen and the worst case scenario probably won't happen either. It will likely be somewhere in between.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I think with Holland (if he is the former fsu ss) coming in, Hann's fate may be sealed. Heck and Holland should hold down the middle. I would like for Holland to have a prototypical shortstop's arm and we move Heck to 2B.

With Robson not being on the travel roster, I'm not sure he sticks around. Although, Cohen doesn't mind putting a great defensive player out there even if they hit .150, so Robson may have dibs on CF.

I am still waiting on Vickerson to show me something. Unless Swinarski, Humphrey's, and other highly touted players just flop, they have to be able to get on the field before players that seem to go a month without getting a base hit.

If Holland is good enough to play SS at FSU, he's probably good enough to play SS for us. We're not bringing him in to sit on the bench- especially with his baggage. He's going to be expected to replace Pirtle essentially. At least we know Heck can play SS in the event that Holland isn't as good.

Robson has some talent. He can run and he can defend. If he can't get it done, Cody Brown can play CF.

Vickerson has struck out way more than I thought he would. He's not a bad player- and I hope he has a big senior year like his brother did.

I'd prefer that some of the young guys like Swinarski, Rooker, Gordon, etc. play over the upper classmen that can't hit because even if the freshmen can't hit next year, they're at least getting some experience to build off of.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
What I want to see:

C: Collins/Vallot
1B: Rea (Garner if he leaves)
3B: Humphreys
RF: Swinarski

What I think Cohen will do:

C: Collins/Randolph
1B: Rea
3B: Britton
RF: Humphreys

Randolph is Cohen's Boy, which earns you PT regardless of merit. Britton's glove will keep him in the lineup even if he hits .069. Cohen loves him some defensive wizards who can't hit shit.

I don't see Rea going anywhere. He's been exposed this year and has hurt his stock.

Like I said yesterday, I am 100% convinced that the reason Randolph plays is because at this point he has a better rapport with the pitchers than Collins does. He just needs experience and time working with our pitchers. Gavin missed a good bit of the fall with some kind of leg injury- and that missed time is hurting us. That rapport will get better over time. Collins has some very good leadership skills- and that impressed me given the situation he is in.

Now Britton is definitely Cohen's boy. I've given up on Britton as a hitter. He's a junior and he's making Mario Mendoza look like Rod Carew.

State82
04-09-2014, 06:53 PM
That's because you are a State fan.

Truth is, it's too soon to know and the best case scenario probably won't happen and the worst case scenario probably won't happen either. It will likely be somewhere in between.

Todd, who do you see closing if Holder goes (which if I were wagering on it I would bet he goes, but there is a lot of baseball left to affect that scenario)?

MetEdDawg
04-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I've got some connections at Chattahoochee Valley CC and from all accounts Holland is going to be playing next year for us. I'm not sure how it will work out but I think we will see him at SS and Heck at 2B.

Coach34
04-09-2014, 08:42 PM
I dont give a monkey shit if Rea leaves and kinda wish he would

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Todd, who do you see closing if Holder goes (which if I were wagering on it I would bet he goes, but there is a lot of baseball left to affect that scenario)?

That's a good question. It might be Zac Houston. If Paul Young is healthy- having him close could be a good way to "rehab" him. The Cardinals did that with Matt Morris- although he was just a relief pitcher and not a closer. If we have a lot of guys like Woodruff come back it could be Dakota Hudson, Austin Sexton or someone like that.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
I dont give a monkey shit if Rea leaves and kinda wish he would

I hope he comes back and does what Thomas Berkery did his fifth year senior year.

CadaverDawg
04-09-2014, 09:23 PM
I couldn't guess Cohen's lineup for this Friday, much less next year, but what the hell...

Wouldn't mind seeing this....

Vickerson LF
Heck 2B
Humphreys DH
Garner 1B
Collins C
Holland SS
Cody Brown RF
Britton 3B
Robson CF

Fri: Woodruff
Sat: Ross
Sun: Fitts

Cohen's lineup....

Vickerson DH
Rea SS
Britton 1B
Holland CF
Robson LF
Heck RF
HellIfIKnow ...

maroonmania
04-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I can't believe all of you putting Robson in the starting OF next year. He currently is as bad or worse than Britton as a hitter. Will have to improve greatly for me to want to see him starting. Currently I would say Vickerson, Brown and maybe Swinarski starting next year.

CadaverDawg
04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I can't believe all of you putting Robson in the starting OF next year. He currently is as bad or worse than Britton as a hitter. Will have to improve greatly for me to want to see him starting. Currently I would say Vickerson, Brown and maybe Swinarski starting next year.

I still believe in Robson. I thought Pirtle was a bum when he only had 50 or so at bats too...and now he's probably our best hitter. I'm not giving up on Robson yet.

AlSwearengen
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM

I am really surprised at how Robson has struggled this year. After a slow start last year as a true freshman, I seem to remember him having a pretty good stretch later in the year where he was hitting the ball pretty well. Maybe I am making this up, but that is what I remember.

maroonmania
04-09-2014, 10:36 PM
I still believe in Robson. I thought Pirtle was a bum when he only had 50 or so at bats too...and now he's probably our best hitter. I'm not giving up on Robson yet.

Pirtle is a totally different case. He just took a little time to adjust from JUCO pitching to D1 pitching early last year. Robson is in his second full year and has actually regressed. Look, if he matures and gets his hitting skills worked out this Summer then great put him in because he has excellent speed, but based on what I've seen this year so far at the plate its difficult for me to say today that I have confidence in him being a starter next year.