PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Cohen

DownwardDawg
04-09-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm still running into LSU fans that are talking shit about this past weekend. Monday was unbearable, then I see a whole new flock of them on Tuesday. This morning I ran into one that I haven't seen in months. His first words were, "what happened this weekend?"

17 you Cohen. Just 17 you!

smootness
04-09-2014, 08:11 AM
We get it, you're overly emotional and irrational because you're around LSU fans.

RougeDawg
04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
We get it, you're overly emotional and irrational because you're around LSU fans.

No. He's catching shit at work because we have a bunch of *****, Punchin Judy hitters who have either not been taught proper mechanics or do not listen to our coaches who MAY be teaching it. This falls solely on the coach. Period. A good mechanics teaching coach could take Pirtle and turn him into a 4-8 HR guy over 50 games. Wes Rae would have 10+ on a bad year with proper mechanics. Detz would be pushing 10 HR. There wouldn't be a guy on our team that wouldn't have the ability to drive the ball in either gap, with proper teaching. I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. It sometimes takes a good bit of work but you can turn any sized hitter into a power threat, with the right swing.

AROB44
04-09-2014, 08:41 AM
No. He's catching shit at work because we have a bunch of *****, Punchin Judy hitters who have either not been taught proper mechanics or do not listen to our coaches who MAY be teaching it. This falls solely on the coach. Period. A good mechanics teaching coach could take Pirtle and turn him into a 4-8 HR guy over 50 games. Wes Rae would have 10+ on a bad year with proper mechanics. Detz would be pushing 10 HR. There wouldn't be a guy on our team that wouldn't have the ability to drive the ball in either gap, with proper teaching. I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. It sometimes takes a good bit of work but you can turn any sized hitter into a power threat, with the right swing.

We should have hire you as our coach ***

C222
04-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Our fans are the absolute worst.

Jacksondevildog
04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
No coach in America could get Pirtle to hit 8 bombs with a BBCOR bat. Let's just be serious for a moment.

engie
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm still running into LSU fans that are talking shit about this past weekend. Monday was unbearable, then I see a whole new flock of them on Tuesday. This morning I ran into one that I haven't seen in months. His first words were, "what happened this weekend?"

17 you Cohen. Just 17 you!

Payback is a bitch in June...

engie
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Jesus Christ.

smootness
04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Well then perhaps we don't want certain hitters to turn into HR hitters? You can take a guy like Pirtle and get him to hit some more HRs, but in return he will be a worse hitter overall. You don't just teach someone 'proper mechanics' and have them retain everything they were good at before while adding power.

Take Andrelton Simmons last year - he hit more HRs than anyone could have guessed, and he was a worse hitter than if he'd kept the same level swing and hit .280 with 4 HRs.

The bottom line is, the coach that Downward is so pissed at is the guy who took us to the brink of a national title....last year. It's stupid to continue to 'call him out'.

DownwardDawg
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Well then perhaps we don't want certain hitters to turn into HR hitters? You can take a guy like Pirtle and get him to hit some more HRs, but in return he will be a worse hitter overall. You don't just teach someone 'proper mechanics' and have them retain everything they were good at before while adding power.

Take Andrelton Simmons last year - he hit more HRs than anyone could have guessed, and he was a worse hitter than if he'd kept the same level swing and hit .280 with 4 HRs.

The bottom line is, the coach that Downward is so pissed at is the guy who took us to the brink of a national title....last year. It's stupid to continue to 'call him out'.

I don't want a new coach. I just want him to try to beat LSU for a change. Same with football. LSU owns us and I'm sick of being their bitch. If you're ok with that, then that's on you.

smootness
04-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't want a new coach. I just want him to try to beat LSU for a change. Same with football. LSU owns us and I'm sick of being their bitch. If you're ok with that, then that's on you.

Yeah, I'm ok with it. Cohen is, too. He obviously is not trying to beat LSU.

DownwardDawg
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I'm ok with it. Cohen is, too. He obviously is not trying to beat LSU.

You only replied to this thread to argue. I hate the loser mentality of our fanbase. This is what's wrong with MSU.

RougeDawg
04-09-2014, 09:57 AM

I guaran-god-damn-tee you Id have them hitting with proper mechanics. The shit we have now is pathetic. Yes you can hit the ball hard every now and them, but give me a fall with any college team and they'll have pitchers scared to throw strokes to them.

But it's inherently apparent that 99% of the people on here wouldn't know the difference between a proper swing and a pirouette. Go back and look at my post over the last 2-3 years about our hitters swings and what results you will see because of them. I'll help you out in case you don't have time to look it up.

Our swings are around our body and around the hitting zone. As opposed to a proper swing that is pushed flat through the zone, out in front of the plate and then upward over head not around. Our swings produce, more times than not, roll over ground balls to the pull side and lazy pop flies to the opposite field. If anyone has watched this team hit, you've seen these type of things (and strikeouts) many many more times than a solidly hit ball from gap to gap. Nice try though. Stay ignorant.

ShotgunDawg
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Fairly obvious that you have no clue

smootness
04-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I guaran-god-damn-tee you Id have them hitting with proper mechanics. The shit we have now is pathetic. Yes you can hit the ball hard every now and them, but give me a fall with any college team and they'll have pitchers scared to throw strokes to them.

But it's inherently apparent that 99% of the people on here wouldn't know the difference between a proper swing and a pirouette. Go back and look at my post over the last 2-3 years about our hitters swings and what results you will see because of them. I'll help you out in case you don't have time to look it up.

Our swings are around our body and around the hitting zone. As opposed to a proper swing that is pushed flat through the zone, out in front of the plate and then upward over head not around. Our swings produce, more times than not, roll over ground balls to the pull side and lazy pop flies to the opposite field. If anyone has watched this team hit, you've seen these type of things (and strikeouts) many many more times than a solidly hit ball from gap to gap. Nice try though. Stay ignorant.

Yes, we're ignorant. And you're somehow a better hitting coach than all SEC coaches, or at least better than the one who just played for the national title, yet somehow have been overlooked during the hiring process. Sounds likely.

ShotgunDawg
04-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Just curious, have you ever attempted to teach a baseball player, over the age 18 years old, a new swing?

smootness
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
You only replied to this thread to argue. I hate the loser mentality of our fanbase. This is what's wrong with MSU.

Dude, you started this thread for the sole purpose of saying 'F you' to the best coach we've had in any sport in a long, long time.

But yeah, I have a loser mentality because I'm not overreacting to one series.

shoeless joe
04-09-2014, 10:16 AM

Taking Greg drye's course on coaching baseball doesn't make you a good coach.

Also, can we have a list of the hitters you have personally turned into a power threat?? Pujols? Cabrera? Henry Aaron??

tcdog70
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Jesus Christ.

i don't think he is available. Although he probably would make a great Hitting Coach***

DownwardDawg
04-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Dude, you started this thread for the sole purpose of saying 'F you' to the best coach we've had in any sport in a long, long time.

But yeah, I have a loser mentality because I'm not overreacting to one series.

I'm definitely overreacting. I'll give you that. But it's not over one series. It's over years of them beating us regardless of how good we are or how bad they are. I'm just frustrated. Sick of it.

ShotgunDawg
04-09-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm definitely overreacting. I'll give you that. But it's not over one series. It's over years of them beating us regardless of how good we are or how bad they are. I'm just frustrated. Sick of it.

I can agree with this. I am sick of losing to LSU in many sports. I don't quite understand why our school pusses out and all athletic ability and the ability to execute goes to complete dog shit when we play LSU in football or baseball.

I realize that LSU usually has more talent than us, but so does Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, etc..., but we beat those on occasion and certainly don't puss out when playing them. Not sure what our problem is with LSU. It needs to end this coming football season. This much we can agree on.

BulldogBear
04-09-2014, 11:07 AM
I can agree with this. I am sick of losing to LSU in many sports. I don't quite understand why our school pusses out and all athletic ability and the ability to execute goes to complete dog shit when we play LSU in football or baseball.

I realize that LSU usually has more talent than us, but so does Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, etc..., but we beat those on occasion and certainly don't puss out when playing them. Not sure what our problem is with LSU. It needs to end this coming football season. This much we can agree on.
+1

Coach34
04-09-2014, 11:27 AM
He ain't the only one catching shit this week. We have to get better- bottom line

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I'll say this about hitting and hitting technique- no matter how you teach and what philosophy you use there is not one coach in America that has been able to get their team to be successful more than 30% of the time in general at hitting.

If there was a coach or a philosophy that was getting significantly better results- and by that I mean 35-40% or higher as a team for 3-4 years in a row, everyone would take notice and they would be doing that philosophy. But at this point, there simply isn't anyone out there like that or anyone with a method that has proven results like that.

Hitting is difficult no matter how you do it.

Most of our hitters outside of Rea, Collins, Humphreys, and Garner - are not going to have the potential to hit a ton of home runs. You add in the ballpark, the bats we are using and the balls and trying to hit the ball in the air is not going to be the best way to maximize the players God given abilities that we have. Because of our players talents, we have to be a line drive type team- or it's going to be even more difficult to score than it already is. Even if we hit a few more home runs as a team with this particular group, we're going to be much better off in the long run with this group trying to hit for a higher average with less power.

MarketingBully01
04-09-2014, 07:19 PM

All I know is a freshman pitcher who threw one pitch 95% of the time held us to 1 run. There is no excuse for that. We hit like shit this weekend. Losing to Nola like we did was somewhat understandable but getting swept by that LSU team the way we did was to me unacceptable. Two of their freshmen pitchers with tools no better then some of our freshmen pitchers we have shut us down.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
All I know is a freshman pitcher who threw one pitch 95% of the time held us to 1 run. There is no excuse for that. We hit like shit this weekend. Losing to Nola like we did was somewhat understandable but getting swept by that LSU team the way we did was to me unacceptable. Two of their freshmen pitchers with tools no better then some of our freshmen pitchers we have shut us down.

I bet a lot of schools say the same thing when Ross shuts them down.

Heck, I was at the Governor's Cup last year and when we brought in Ross, some Ole Miss fan started laughing at him and said- "this guy looks like a Little Leaguer, we're going to tear him up." Well, about 2-3 innings later that same guy was cursing their hitters and then by the end Ross was getting his picture taken with some pageant girl and the MVP trophy.

MarketingBully01
04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
I bet a lot of schools say the same thing when Ross shuts them down.

Heck, I was at the Governor's Cup last year and when we brought in Ross, some Ole Miss fan started laughing at him and said- "this guy looks like a Little Leaguer, we're going to tear him up." Well, about 2-3 innings later that same guy was cursing their hitters and then by the end Ross was getting his picture taken with some pageant girl and the MVP trophy.

So you are comparing Poche to Mitchell? That is rediculous Todd.

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
So you are comparing Poche to Mitchell? That is rediculous Todd.

Not really. Both are left handed and rely on movement and location as opposed to throwing hard.

MarketingBully01
04-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Not really. Both are left handed and rely on movement and location as opposed to throwing hard.

One is a true freshman and before he beat us on Saturday had only beaten Georgia in the SEC weekends. The Sunday starter had never won an SEC game before beating us. Face it Todd, we sucked something awful batting last weekend.

Todd4State
04-10-2014, 06:16 PM
One is a true freshman and before he beat us on Saturday had only beaten Georgia in the SEC weekends. The Sunday starter had never won an SEC game before beating us. Face it Todd, we sucked something awful batting last weekend.

In games 1 and 2, yes. Game 3- we allowed 17 runs.

Just because a player is a true freshman doesn't mean he isn't good- and just because Ross Mitchell doesn't throw hard and can put a team into a funk, it doesn't mean that another pitcher with the same attributes can't do the same thing to us that Ross does to other teams.

It sounds to me like you are bitching to bitch.