PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen

Dawg61
04-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm racking my brain right now trying to think of another coach in college football besides Dan Mullen and Urban Meyer to have three different QBs be in the running for the Heisman Trophy in the last ten years. Who else? Alex Smith, Tim Tebow and now Dak Prescott has me getting very wooly about our HC's ability to develop serious talent at the most important position on the field. You can even throw in Chris Leake's name too because he was pretty damn good as a JR & SR.

An argument can be made at this point that Dan Mullen is the best developer of QBs at the college level right now. And it's a good argument. Even Chris Relf improved tremendously under Mullen and Tyler Russell holds the all-time MSU record so that's got to be considered as well. Any future QB recruits need to walk down the Mullen QB timeline wall. And MSU needs to build the QB wall tomorrow so Mullen can show off.

esplanade91
04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Cutcliffe is QB king until he retires.

And Mullen's QB's are Tyson Lee, Ralph, Tyler Russell, and Dak Prescott. Period. Meyer has his, Mullen has those. I like Mullen a lot, but those weren't "his" QB's... You're not giving Meyer credit for his ability to coach QB's. If it was all Mullen, Tebow would be the greatest QB in Alabama history.

Again, I'm really happy with Mullen and I think he's a great coach about to unleash a fan favorite QB on the rest of the country... But that's where his legacy starts with everyone who didn't see him do what he did with who he inherited. His assistantship makes for great anecdotes.

BeardoMSU
04-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Even Chris Relf improved tremendously under Mullen and Tyler Russell holds the all-time MSU record so that's got to be considered as well. Any future QB recruits need to walk down the Mullen QB timeline wall. And MSU needs to build the QB wall tomorrow so Mullen can show off.

And that is a total understatement, too. Relf was night and day a different player as a freshman, soph., and junior. Watching Croom throw him to the wolves trying to complete pocket passes was a freakin' joke of a coaching display. 2010 was a great year, and Relf was a huge part of it, no doubt. That being said, no level of QB development could save Chris from the dreaded Senior Curse.....I really hope Dak transcends our pitiful QB history and earns prestige worthy of a new constellation in the nighttime sky for the world to gaze at in awe.

Dawg61
04-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Eli and Peyton and who else? And those two fall outside the last 10 years. Cutcliffe gets rejected. Who else?

BeardoMSU
04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Peyton and who else? And those two fall outside the last 10 years. Cutcliffe gets rejected. Who else?

Fixed it for ya, bud.

Dawg61
04-09-2014, 12:08 AM

And Mullen's QB's are Tyson Lee, Ralph, Tyler Russell, and Dak Prescott. Period. Meyer has his, Mullen has those. I like Mullen a lot, but those weren't "his" QB's... You're not giving Meyer credit for his ability to coach QB's. If it was all Mullen, Tebow would be the greatest QB in Alabama history.

Again, I'm really happy with Mullen and I think he's a great coach about to unleash a fan favorite QB on the rest of the country... But that's where his legacy starts with everyone who didn't see him do what he did with who he inherited. His assistantship makes for great anecdotes.

Actually I gave Urban credit in my first sentence. Tyson Lee almost beat LSU. Mullen got every speck of talent out of that 5'8 D3 QB he was left with. Thanks Croom.

esplanade91
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Eli and Peyton and who else? And those two fall outside the last 10 years. Cutcliffe gets rejected. Who else?

Well based on your logic, Tee Martin.

And while they're not Heisman darkhorses like you claim all of Meyer's QB's were, he turned Thad Lewis and probably Anthony Boone into NFL QB's. He routinely has a QB who couldn't start for any other D1 program doing decent things for Duke.

Look, I'm not beating off to Cutcliffe over here... But calling Mullen the best QB coach in the country right now is a little ridiculous. Hypothetically if Dak does win the Heisman, how much credit are you going to give Les Keonning?

Fact is, Mullen has recruited a lot of mediocre QB's who have done jack, and the most highly touted of the bunch regressed big time from year to year. Mullen is still only 41 (young by coaching standards) and this is the first year he's starting a QB full-time he recruited himself. This conversation is being had 5 years too early.

Dawg61
04-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Well based on your logic, Tee Martin.

And while they're not Heisman darkhorses like you claim all of Meyer's QB's were, he turned Thad Lewis and probably Anthony Boone into NFL QB's. He routinely has a QB who couldn't start for any other D1 program doing decent things for Duke.

Look, I'm not beating off to Cutcliffe over here... But calling Mullen the best QB coach in the country right now is a little ridiculous. Hypothetically if Dak does win the Heisman, how much credit are you going to give Les Keonning?

Fact is, Mullen has recruited a lot of mediocre QB's who have done jack, and the most highly touted of the bunch regressed big time from year to year. Mullen is still only 41 (young by coaching standards) and this is the first year he's starting a QB full-time he recruited himself. This conversation is being had 5 years too early.

Like it or not doesn't matter. Mullen gets big credit for Alex Smith, Chris Leake, Tim Tebow, Chris Relf, Tyler Russell, and Dak Prescott. Mullen gets small credit for Cam Newton. Make the wall for Mullen to show off MSU.