PDA

View Full Version : USM thoughts

Todd4State
04-08-2014, 11:32 PM
It wasn't all that pretty, but we won. We played like a struggling team. Hard hit balls right at people, double plays that only led to one run instead of a big inning, USM getting 2 runs on an infield hit and then another on a bloop single. BUT we still won- and this is the kind of game that can help a team get out of a funk.

I don't know how many people realize this, but we have beaten USM in Pearl four years in a row. We only have one player on the team that has ever lost to them- Bracewell. I'm not sure if USM has anyone on their team that has beaten us.

We pitched better than the score IMO. Ben pitched well other than the fourth and then he came back and got out of that inning. Woodruff looked very good. He's still recovering though- I don't think he has the stamina at the point to go seven YET. But he could give us 4-5 very easily. Lindgren looked a little off to me at times, but was solid overall. He got himself in trouble and paid for it. Holder was absolutely filthy. He had hitters bailing out on his curve and he mixed in his fastball well. As a staff we struck out 16 batters and walked only two. That's getting it done.

Overall, our at bats themselves were not bad in general. We had 7 BB's and 5 K's and then 2 guys that were HBP. Maybe more importantly, we had 10 hits. However, we had zero extra base hits. We also executed 3/4 hit and runs successfully, Cody Brown had a beautiful bunt for a hit that helped us score a run. Gavin Collins got a bunt down that caused USM to walk the bases loaded with some of our weaker hitters and get to Detz and Pirtle. Armstrong wreaked havoc on the bases and appropriately scored the winning run. But we also had a few chances at some big innings and we ran ourselves out of a couple of innings. Pirtle's base running mistake was inexcusable and almost made me say some dugout words around children. CT got into a run down when he shouldn't have. We had some rotten luck at tmes too- Demarcus hitting a bullet at an infielder with the infield drawn in, Wes hitting some balls hard that were bobbled and still getting thrown out because he has the speed of a wounded turtle.

It was good to see some changes in the lineup- especially Collins. But I'd still like to see Humphreys. I thought Collins hit a game winning home run for about 5 seconds before I saw it curve foul. It does show you kind of what the future holds for us though a little bit- and that's really exciting for us. As I've said on here, we are going to start to see more guys like Humphreys and Collins in the program. We're still going to recruit speed some as well- see Cody Brown- because our ballpark demands it.

USM had just hired Scott Berry after their CWS run and basically it was an in house promotion. I felt like at the time that USM was kind of trying to show us up after the Polk/Raffo/Cohen fiasco because they talked about the "seamless transition". But we see how well it has worked for them and us in the long run. They have two Under Armour All-Americans on their team, which is actually more than us and Ole Miss at this time- Mason Robbins and Conner Barron. They both look worse now than they did in high school. It's very obvious that their staff is not doing a good job of player development. We may be "small"- but USM looks like a beer league softball team. At least our guys look somewhat athletic- even if they are 5'8". But it just goes to show that you shouldn't make a coaching personnel move based totally on loyalty. To me the difference in the game was a risky move that Berry made by taking his veteran catcher out of the lineup. And sure enough, late in the game their back-up couldn't corral a ball that allowed the game winning run.

BulldogBear
04-08-2014, 11:38 PM
+1

the base running circus was the only really frustrating thing to me tonight. We almost gave it away by throwing away a couple of potential "big innings."

messageboardsuperhero
04-08-2014, 11:45 PM
I assume you went to the game?

If so, it seemed (by the way Jim described it) like they hit about 3-4 texas leaguers that just dropped in- whereas we had a bunch of hard hit balls that were right at people or went just foul. Is that how it went tonight? Because that's happened to us a lot this season.

Also, even though our situational hitting has been awful recently, we're still winning half the battle by getting guys on base. I think in order for us to be a solid offensive team, we need either A) for Wes Rea to start being the big bat he's capable of, or B) to execute really well situationally. Neither one of those two are happening for us now. We are really in desperate need of a couple of guys to step up and be extra base hit threats- hopefully that can be Collins and Rea (when he gets it back together).

Todd4State
04-08-2014, 11:46 PM
+1

the base running circus was the only really frustrating thing to me tonight. We almost gave it away by throwing away a couple of potential "big innings."

I kind of sort of understood CT's.

Pirtle's I was like- WTH? Do you not see the ball and the third baseman for USM standing in the baseline 3 feet from said ball? And if I was in that situation and the third base coach told me to run, I would have straight up right there in front of God and everyone said "HELL NO!" and just run my laps back in Starkville.

Todd4State
04-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I assume you went to the game?

If so, it seemed (by the way Jim described it) like they hit about 3-4 texas leaguers that just dropped in- whereas we had a bunch of hard hit balls that were right at people or went just foul. Is that how it went tonight? Because that's happened to us a lot this season.

Also, even though our situational hitting has been awful recently, we're still winning half the battle by getting guys on base. I think in order for us to be a solid offensive team, we need either A) for Wes Rea to start being the big bat he's capable of, or B) to execute really well situationally. Neither one of those two are happening for us now. We are really in desperate need of a couple of guys to step up and be extra base hit threats- hopefully that can be Collins and Rea (when he gets it back together).

Yes pretty much. They scored two runs on a ball that was fielded by one of our middle infielders that was barely in the outfield and then the other run was a bloop that wasn't hit well at all and we just couldn't quite get to it. If CT was playing CF instead of LF, he might have gotten to it.

BulldogBear
04-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I kind of sort of understood CT's.

Pirtle's I was like- WTH? Do you not see the ball and the third baseman for USM standing in the baseline 3 feet from said ball? And if I was in that situation and the third base coach told me to run, I would have straight up right there in front of God and everyone said "HELL NO!" and just run my laps back in Starkville.

And ya don't run home when the ball's hit to the 3rd baseman, especially when he is kinda having to come forward for it.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 12:21 AM
And ya don't run home when the ball's hit to the 3rd baseman, especially when he is kinda having to come forward for it.

If the play is the same one I'm thinking about that's the contact play. It's a gamble- but you're playing the odds that the ball is going to be hit somewhere other than third or first. So when it is hit to one of the corner infield spots or back to the pitcher it looks like a bad base running play. But that's what the runner is supposed to do- take off as soon as the ball is hit.

I didn't have a problem with that one because that's more about bad luck than poor execution.