PDA

View Full Version : Serious Hypothetical Mullen question

preachermatt83
04-08-2014, 04:04 PM
In the heat of a disappointing first 3/4 of the season last year many of us were calling for Mullen to be fired. After the way he brought our team together to win the last 3 including a win over the pukes from OM and an all out dismantling of Rice in the bowl game, he changed a lot of minds, including mine. One of the biggest reasons he changed my mind is because of 2 reasons.... 1) He flat out just outcoached Freeze and 2) He, for some reason, just owns OM... Now considering all of this I have been asking myself a legitimate question recently, and that is this " What would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired this year?" I mean I know what will happen, many of us will get discouraged over a bad performance or two and we will start calling for his head, but after a few hours to calm down most of us will realize he has done a good job but really, what would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired? Even after ive had time to think and weigh out everything.... the answer? To me if Dan can't win 8 regular season games with this team he will never do it. So my decision is this.. If we win 8 regular season games or more I will not want him fired and I will still fully support him but anything less I would have to really believe that I would really want him fired. Oh and by the way, if he wins 9 or more I say give him a raise.

SO what say ye? What would have to happen for you to want Dan to be fired this year? Not trying to start a war but a legitimate question now, while we are not all emotional in the middle of the season. Also this is barring no injuries in thin positions or to Dak.

esplanade91
04-08-2014, 04:12 PM
45-0

CadaverDawg
04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Hud would have to publicly announce that he wants the MSU job.***

I kid

If somehow we had a losing season, I'd want him fired. Other than that, he would have to lose the team, and I don't see it happening

Coach34
04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
He just got extended to the 4 year max again- he would have to **** one of the guys on the field that runs around the field waving the big M-S-U flags to get fired

BeardoMSU
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Please no, Preach....these hypotheticals make me extremely melancholy..

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lotxf4Dj9m1qlfu1ho1_500.gif

Let's stay positive for now....

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll be disappointed, but not want Dan fired if we win 7 games. Plus, I hate putting down ultimatums because it all depends on the context of how we loss. What if we only win 7 games but were screwed by the refs in two losses in a way that directly led to us losing?

What if one of our losses is an overtime loss in Tuscaloosa, and we were only in overtime because of a screw job call?

What if we only win 6 or 7 games, but Daks gets hurt in game 1 or 2 and we win all those games without him?

There are many reasons that every SEC team could have a down year, and many of those reasosn are outside of any coach's or player's control.

Without the context of how we lost games, I have a ton of trouble laying down any sort of ultimatum. It sounds knee jerk, ignorant, random, and unprofessional IMO.

Good conversation though.

DownwardDawg
04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
He didn't change everyone's mind. There are still some fans that want him replaced. I changed my mind when he finished the way he did and I took a step back and looked at his body of work. 4 bowl games in a row. 4 out of 5 against the bow ties in his 1st 5 seasons (unheard of). He has brought great excitement to our program. The stadium sells out every game. TSUN absolutely hates him (worse than Jackie now). His recruiting has actually turned out to be much better than we all had originally thought. Rankings don't seem to matter much when you look at which players are making plays for us.
I can't look at all those things and bitch about him anymore. I just wish he would do something about ST's.
Of course, once the game threads start and the beer starts flowing, all bets are off!!!

Coach34
04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
our best seasons have been and will be in even numbered seasons because we play teams like Auburn, UPig, Texas A&M, and an East team at home. 2014 is an even numbered season just like 2010 when we won 9 games and 2012 when we won 8.

smootness
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
To me if Dan can't win 8 regular season games with this team he will never do it.

Uh...he already has.

messageboardsuperhero
04-08-2014, 04:59 PM
In the heat of a disappointing first 3/4 of the season last year many of us were calling for Mullen to be fired. After the way he brought our team together to win the last 3 including a win over the pukes from OM and an all out dismantling of Rice in the bowl game, he changed a lot of minds, including mine. One of the biggest reasons he changed my mind is because of 2 reasons.... 1) He flat out just outcoached Freeze and 2) He, for some reason, just owns OM... Now considering all of this I have been asking myself a legitimate question recently, and that is this " What would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired this year?" I mean I know what will happen, many of us will get discouraged over a bad performance or two and we will start calling for his head, but after a few hours to calm down most of us will realize he has done a good job but really, what would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired? Even after ive had time to think and weigh out everything.... the answer? To me if Dan can't win 8 regular season games with this team he will never do it. So my decision is this.. If we win 8 regular season games or more I will not want him fired and I will still fully support him but anything less I would have to really believe that I would really want him fired. Oh and by the way, if he wins 9 or more I say give him a raise.

SO what say ye? What would have to happen for you to want Dan to be fired this year? Not trying to start a war but a legitimate question now, while we are not all emotional in the middle of the season. Also this is barring no injuries in thin positions or to Dak.

Mullen has already done this twice in his first five years.

Anything under 8 regular season wins would be disappointing. That would make it 8+ regular season wins in three out of the six years he's been at State, including five straight bowl games- not too shabby, considering what he inherited and the division we're in.

messageboardsuperhero
04-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Uh...he already has. Twice.

FIFY.

And you just beat me to it.

blacklistedbully
04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I am still very unhappy with his clock-management, including his willingness to start sitting on too small a lead too soon. I'm still pissed about his personnel decisions, and am not as impressed as most with the wins over Arky & Ole Miss. But I did like the way he got us ready to smoke an over-manned Rice team. The large margin of victory over a decent, if not really good Rice team made me feel a little better. The fact that he can no longer make the same ridiculous personnel decisions he did last year due to graduation makes me feel like he gets this year to prove he can move us forward.

He has all the tools he needs for the game plan he wants to run. He needs to show me he has matured and improved as a coach. No more stepping on our own dicks. No more switching to cruise control when the lead is not yet secure. No more really stupid play calls where we keep running an under-sized back subject to arm tackles between the tackles (graduation solved this, but I'll blow my top if he finds a way to do something similar). I think we need to see growth from Dan. I really like a lot of what he does and has done, but there were some things that just boggled the mind, so I really hope & pray he has learned from his mistakes.

Must beat USM, UAB, USA, UK, Arky, UT-Martin & Vandy. Must win at least 2 of LSU, TAMU, Auburn, Bama & OM, and that is if we are at least competitive in the others. Won't be happy unless we win at least 3, though.

State82
04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Finish the season (including postseason play) with less than 7 wins AND completely botch the recruiting class we currently have underway. Now, the only way he would actually be fired is if the obscene scenario Coach mentioned took place, or some semblance thereof.

preachermatt83
04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
He didn't change everyone's mind. There are still some fans that want him replaced. I changed my mind when he finished the way he did and I took a step back and looked at his body of work. 4 bowl games in a row. 4 out of 5 against the bow ties in his 1st 5 seasons (unheard of). He has brought great excitement to our program. The stadium sells out every game. TSUN absolutely hates him (worse than Jackie now). His recruiting has actually turned out to be much better than we all had originally thought. Rankings don't seem to matter much when you look at which players are making plays for us.
I can't look at all those things and bitch about him anymore. I just wish he would do something about ST's.
Of course, once the game threads start and the beer starts flowing, all bets are off!!!

my thoughts exactly.

preachermatt83
04-08-2014, 05:27 PM
just thought this would be good conversation. Again, not trying to be negative. As you might have noticed in an earlier thread I honestly see us at 10-2 or 9-3 so I think we will be singing Dan's praises as the end of the year. Im just wondering, now that we are not in the middle of a game thread, what we all thought would have us really wanting him gone.

DownwardDawg
04-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Uh...he already has.

Ummmmm no. His statement says win 8 games with THIS TEAM. This 2014 team.

ETA: Of course he should have said never will "AGAIN". So you were technically correct.

HancockCountyDog
04-08-2014, 06:10 PM

If he wins 7 games and lost the egg bowl - I would be extremely concerned; The reason is that if we lose McKinney after this year, our defense takes a major hit from a talent and seasoned talent after this year. PJ Jones, Eulls, Smith, Wells, McKinney, and Love are in their last year, offensively, we lose Lewis, Day, Johnson, Clausell, Beckwith, Robinson (not a big loss, but a body)

That is a lot of SEC starts, especially on the OL. Considering that 2015 will make us have LSU and Bama at home, that makes another 7 win season as problematic.

Im not worried about it though, we win at least 8 this season.

blacklistedbully
04-08-2014, 06:17 PM
IMO 8 wins, with this team and with all the starters other SEC teams are losing, would be an underachievement. If we win only 7, he should be run outta town on a rail.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-08-2014, 06:25 PM
He'd have to start randolph over collins and that would do it for me.

preachermatt83
04-08-2014, 06:28 PM

ha!

BulldogBear
04-08-2014, 10:57 PM

Or send a base runner home on a grounder hit to the 3rd baseman

PMDawg
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I still have a lot of the same concerns I had last year. This is the year for him to change my mind (not that he or anyone else should care). 3-4 wins over shitty OOC opponents plus 2-3 wins over the worst SEC teams we play that year just isn't the recipe for long term success that I'm looking for (the coaching reasons this happens have been beaten to death so I won't rehash). It was fine for four seasons, but I'm looking for the next step now. I will say I'm optimistic that he takes it this year. I know this won't be well received and will be twisted into something I didn't say, but it's my opinion. I'm also looking to stop going to the wire with UAB, LaTech, Troy, Eric this year.

To the original question: 6-6 would get me pretty steamed.

blacklistedbully
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I still have a lot of the same concerns I had last year. This is the year for him to change my mind (not that he or anyone else should care). 3-4 wins over shitty OOC opponents plus 2-3 wins over the worst SEC teams we play that year just isn't the recipe for long term success that I'm looking for (the coaching reasons this happens have been beaten to death so I won't rehash). It was fine for four seasons, but I'm looking for the next step now. I will say I'm optimistic that he takes it this year. I know this won't be well received and will be twisted into something I didn't say, but it's my opinion. I'm also looking to stop going to the wire with UAB, LaTech, Troy, Eric this year.

To the original question: 6-6 would get me pretty steamed.

You are not alone, Seems we feel just about the same on this one.

However, if it would take 6-6 to get you steamed, consider this:

In order to lose 6 games regular season we'd likely have to lose to:

Bama
Auburn
LSU
TAMU
Ole Miss

plus one of the following:

USM, UAB, USA, UK, Arky, UT-Martin & Vandy

I we did that, you could stick a fork in us for the foreseeable future IMO. I can't imagine Mullen would have any support left. Would be hard to have any hope whatsoever for the future.

spiritual_machine2005
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I am expecting 8 wins minimum in the regular season this year. The 4 nonconference games, Arky, Ky, Vandy, and then one more from Bama, Auburn, LSU, TAMU, and Ole Miss. We HAVE to get at least ONE big win this year to keep our momentum going, especially with the uncommitted talent left in the state we will be fighting for.

blacklistedbully
04-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I think we need at least 9, and think we should get to at least 10. This looks like the best opportunity we have had since the early-80's, with who we have coming back and what the rest of our division looks like.

Win all 4 non-con, Arky, UK, Vandy and at least 2 of Bama, Auburn, LSU, TAMU & OM.

I think we'll be better than OM and take'em down in Oxford. We should be better than a TAMU with no JFF or Evans. We should have beat Auburn last year, and I like who we have coming back better than who they have coming back. LSU has had our number, but we have played them so close recently (including last year's strange 4th Q), and their loss of starters over the past 2 seasons should be the difference, even with the talent they have, because we have talent and experience. Bama is gonna Bama and reload, but they are replacing some starters, including the most important, QB. Our defense played them tough last year, and were just finding their legs in that game. I expect us to be better and them to be not quite as good as last year.

smootness
04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Ummmmm no. His statement says win 8 games with THIS TEAM. This 2014 team.

ETA: Of course he should have said never will "AGAIN". So you were technically correct.

Yes, I was correct and he was incorrect. By saying, 'he never will,' you're saying he never has, which is incorrect.

And it's a ridiculous premise anyway. It would be like me saying that if Calipari couldn't win a title with this year's team, he never will again.

TrapGame
04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't think this scenario happens but here it goes.

6-6 finish with 4 of those losses being absolute beat downs and/or a humiliating loss to OM in Oxford. That would have me off the Mullen bus for good.

Actually I see us winning 9-10 games including whoopin' ass in Plantationville.

spiritual_machine2005
04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't see us whooping ass in Oxford. I definitely see us winning, but it will be a fight to the end. I honestly think that with the upgraded talent on both teams, the days of one team blowing out the other are gone in the foreseeable future.

FISHDAWG
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
IMO all he did with those last three games was to even the scales .... in case anyone has forgotten, DEFENSE won the last two regular season games ... I'm giving him credit for the defensive recruiting and Geoff Collins ...... as I see it the jury reconvenes this season and I really hope to see a less aggressive mindset ..... and by that I mean things like us going for 2 points needlessly, going for it on 4th & long because we can't trust our kicker, gimmick plays, bad clock management, fake punts (although it's been a while since that one ) .... you get the picture.

Pollodawg
04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I don't think this scenario happens but here it goes.

6-6 finish with 4 of those losses being absolute beat downs and/or a humiliating loss to OM in Oxford. That would have me off the Mullen bus for good.

Actually I see us winning 9-10 games including whoopin' ass in Plantationville.

This. It'll take something awful to happen for me to excuse 6-6 this season. If we get blown out at home like we did against LSU last year or TAMU before that, I will be beyond pissed. It's year six. It's time to stop letting shit like that happen at DWS. I can excuse a tight, hard fought loss to a team that is legit better than we are, but not that shit.

Pollodawg
04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Actually, I want to see Mullen get MORE aggressive. Punt fourth and two on their side of the 45? Bump that. Unleash the Dakkan and let it roll. We finally have a QB we can trust. Dak is the first QB we have had that when it was fourth and ten, and we needed those yards to ice the game or stay in it, he has the ability to do whatever it takes to go and get it. Why handcuff the kid?

I also want to see Jameon run more end around and sweeps, shovel passes.... You get the idea.

The Croom Diaries
04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
The only thing Mullen did for me last year was buy time. He earned the right to stay another year. I think this is the year we need to see a big win. That means Auburn or A&M (if they are a good team) or it could even mean OM in Oxford as I think they'll probably be 8-3 heading into the Egg Bowl.

With the 2015 class there's pretty much no way he's getting fired unless we just completely fall apart. But if we go 7-5 then I'll be pretty disillusioned that he'll ever get it done.

TrapGame
04-09-2014, 02:25 PM
IMO all he did with those last three games was to even the scales .... in case anyone has forgotten, DEFENSE won the last two regular season games ... I'm giving him credit for the defensive recruiting and Geoff Collins ...... as I see it the jury reconvenes this season and I really hope to see a less aggressive mindset ..... and by that I mean things like us going for 2 points needlessly, going for it on 4th & long because we can't trust our kicker, gimmick plays, bad clock management, fake punts (although it's been a while since that one ) .... you get the picture.

With the weapons Mullen has assembled on offense I don't see a lot of trick plays or needless 2 point conversion in 2014. I think Mullen will be more of the mindset to run Robinson on a 4-2 situation cause it'll be hard to bring him down short of the sticks.

But I agree completely with the clock management thing. He's had some major brain farts with the clock that made me think he phoned Croom for advice!

MSU97
04-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Maybe a little early to be thinking about this. Plus like coach said he has the extension.

PMDawg
04-09-2014, 04:54 PM
The only thing Mullen did for me last year was buy time. He earned the right to stay another year. I think this is the year we need to see a big win. That means Auburn or A&M (if they are a good team) or it could even mean OM in Oxford as I think they'll probably be 8-3 heading into the Egg Bowl.

With the 2015 class there's pretty much no way he's getting fired unless we just completely fall apart. But if we go 7-5 then I'll be pretty disillusioned that he'll ever get it done.

Exactly. Just think how razor thin the margin is that keeps him in a favorable light. It's 4-1 vs ole miss. That's IT. Many people will disagree when they read this, but think about it. If you flip flop those results, and those alone, look at his time here: 2009, 4-8 and no momentum for 2010. Ignore the momentem, 2010 is still a good season be we are 7-5 and go to a fairly crappy bowl and there's no blow out of michigan. Still 8-5 over all and a good year. 2011, 5-7 no bowl. Since we are flip flopping ole miss results, 2012 is actually a really good year at 9-3 and a good bowl. 2013 is another 5-7 with no bowl. So 2 bowls instead of 4 with a 4-8 season and two 5-7 seasons. He would either have been fired after last year or on a very hot seat this year. His whole career here comes down to 4-1. Don't get me wrong, he's done a lot of good here, but he's a gnats ass from being very average. If he was 1-4 or even 2-3 vs ole miss then his career looks a hell of a lot different. I think he woke up a little last year and I think he's about to get over the hump. Momentum is building, he's calling plays, he gave up special teams, we have a great DC that got the raise he deserved, and recruiting is going well. 4 bowls in a row is about to be 5 and he owns our rival. These are all very positive and we are set with a system QB and a favorable schedule so we could have a big year. If he can make it happen this year, this could be the beginning of something really good. But he still has to prove it. This is the year to show us something.

BulldogBear
04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Exactly. Just think how razor thin the margin is that keeps him in a favorable light. It's 4-1 vs ole miss. That's IT. Many people will disagree when they read this, but think about it. If you flip flop those results, and those alone, look at his time here: 2009, 4-8 and no momentum for 2010. Ignore the momentem, 2010 is still a good season be we are 7-5 and go to a fairly crappy bowl and there's no blow out of michigan. Still 8-5 over all and a good year. 2011, 5-7 no bowl. Since we are flip flopping ole miss results, 2012 is actually a really good year at 9-3 and a good bowl. 2013 is another 5-7 with no bowl. So 2 bowls instead of 4 with a 4-8 season and two 5-7 seasons. He would either have been fired after last year or on a very hot seat this year. His whole career here comes down to 4-1. Don't get me wrong, he's done a lot of good here, but he's a gnats ass from being very average. If he was 1-4 or even 2-3 vs ole miss then his career looks a hell of a lot different. I think he woke up a little last year and I think he's about to get over the hump. Momentum is building, he's calling plays, he gave up special teams, we have a great DC that got the raise he deserved, and recruiting is going well. 4 bowls in a row is about to be 5 and he owns our rival. These are all very positive and we are set with a system QB and a favorable schedule so we could have a big year. If he can make it happen this year, this could be the beginning of something really good. But he still has to prove it. This is the year to show us something.

In some philisophical way it shows the Egg Bowl to be the pin in the fulcrum. Win it and you'll have general success. I guess beating LSU or Bama is difference between scissors and garden shears.

Pollodawg
04-09-2014, 10:17 PM
But, something does need to happen this year. The excuses are off the table. We're bringing back 16 starters. We have the perfect QB to run our system with all of his best targets coming back. We are as salty and talented on D since at least that 2010 squad, and I think we are better overall than they were everywhere but maybe corner. We have a RB more in the mold of a Ballard and a Dixon now and are stacked at that position. TAMU's offense was gutted, and they come to Starkville. Vandy lost a ton and are about to slip back to being awful again. They come to Starkville. Our non conference is a joke. We get an Auburn team that we all but beat on the road last season at home. The boys and Dan both want that game.

Arkansas has to come to Starkville, and they will be better, but still not back to Bobby P days. And, for our system, Dak is the best QB we have ever had. It wouldn't shock me at all too see him own Madkin's total yardage here by the team he leaves if he stays healthy, and he will be bumping top five all time in rushing.

Barring the unforeseen, if we end up 6-6 again, something is seriously wrong.

OldFatDog
04-09-2014, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=preachermatt83;160448]In the heat of a disappointing first 3/4 of the season last year many of us were calling for Mullen to be fired. After the way he brought our team together to win the last 3 including a win over the pukes from OM and an all out dismantling of Rice in the bowl game, he changed a lot of minds, including mine. One of the biggest reasons he changed my mind is because of 2 reasons.... 1) He flat out just outcoached Freeze and 2) He, for some reason, just owns OM... Now considering all of this I have been asking myself a legitimate question recently, and that is this " What would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired this year?" I mean I know what will happen, many of us will get discouraged over a bad performance or two and we will start calling for his head, but after a few hours to calm down most of us will realize he has done a good job but really, what would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired? Even after ive had time to think and weigh out everything.... the answer? To me if Dan can't win 8 regular season games with this team he will never do it. So my decision is this.. If we win 8 regular season games or more I will not want him fired and I will still fully support him but anything less I would have to really believe that I would really want him fired. Oh and by the way, if he wins 9 or more I say give him a raise.

SO what say ye? What would have to happen for you to want Dan to be fired this year? Not trying to start a war but a legitimate question now, while we are not all emotional in the middle of the season. Also this is barring no injuries in thin positions or to Dak.[/Q

Good ****ing grief. Why do you ask yourself that? Matt, you are pretty damn close to the biggest dipshit that I have observed on a message board. ****.

preachermatt83
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=preachermatt83;160448]In the heat of a disappointing first 3/4 of the season last year many of us were calling for Mullen to be fired. After the way he brought our team together to win the last 3 including a win over the pukes from OM and an all out dismantling of Rice in the bowl game, he changed a lot of minds, including mine. One of the biggest reasons he changed my mind is because of 2 reasons.... 1) He flat out just outcoached Freeze and 2) He, for some reason, just owns OM... Now considering all of this I have been asking myself a legitimate question recently, and that is this " What would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired this year?" I mean I know what will happen, many of us will get discouraged over a bad performance or two and we will start calling for his head, but after a few hours to calm down most of us will realize he has done a good job but really, what would have to happen for me to really want Dan fired? Even after ive had time to think and weigh out everything.... the answer? To me if Dan can't win 8 regular season games with this team he will never do it. So my decision is this.. If we win 8 regular season games or more I will not want him fired and I will still fully support him but anything less I would have to really believe that I would really want him fired. Oh and by the way, if he wins 9 or more I say give him a raise.

SO what say ye? What would have to happen for you to want Dan to be fired this year? Not trying to start a war but a legitimate question now, while we are not all emotional in the middle of the season. Also this is barring no injuries in thin positions or to Dak.[/Q

Good ****ing grief. Why do you ask yourself that? Matt, you are pretty damn close to the biggest dipshit that I have observed on a message board. ****.

ok

preachermatt83
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM

lots of truth!

preachermatt83
04-09-2014, 10:40 PM

man that's a ton of good stuff to think about right there.

Todd4State
04-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Dan's not going to be fired next year unless he pulls a Petrino. For our sake, he doesn't need to leave right now. We have a lot of momentum in recruiting and we have a potential Heisman contender at QB the next two years who does not need to learn another system before his senior year.

I think Dan is the best coach I have seen in my time at MSU. He's not perfect, but I do appreciate the fact that he seems to be willing to change something when there is a major issue- for example, firing Wilson, hiring Knox as a ST coach, etc.

People forget that this is Dan's first HC job, and he has been learning along the way to some degree. So, some growing pains are not surprising. I think 2014 and 2015 are going to be really big years for us though.

His play calling has been good, I am OK with his recruiting despite what the recruiting experts think because he has proven to me that he has a really good eye for talent, and he develops players very well- whether they are a 2 star or a 5 star.

My biggest concern is how he uses our personnel sometimes- Perkins last year, Cherrington, etc. and also our special teams play has concerned me, but maybe Knox can help with that.

smootness
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM

This is all true and a good point, but this is the case for every coach everywhere. Take away one win every year and they don't look nearly as good. Suddenly Saban has 0 national titles at Alabama and they're starting to get antsy.

Conversely, he's also a razor thin margin, in some cases, from much greater things. Imagine if we beat LSU with Tyson Lee. Imagine if we knock off Auburn last year. Imagine if our 2011 class doesn't collapse (I think we would have had much more success with those guys than Ole Miss was able to have). That's just the nature of the beast. Once you start trying to imagine 'what if?' in either direction you run the risk of overthinking it.

He is what his record says he is, which is pretty darn good.

Johnson85
04-10-2014, 09:00 AM

He's not getting fired next year, but going 6-6 will be the beginning of the end for him (which is a testament that he's built the program to the point that only making it to a bowl game will warm your seat up). He can get somewhat of a pass if injuries to Dak (and it's not because we ran him 20 times against teams like USM) or to two OL, but to me if he doesn't get to 8 wins I'll be ready to accept that the 8 win regular season and a Gator bowl appearance is basically our ceiling with Dan.

Pollodawg
04-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Actually, considering that our football history has been a bad joke, Mullen is ahead of the curve by a good portion. I doubted some last season, but he has earned some trust.

jumbo
04-10-2014, 09:49 AM
anything less than 8 wins and he's legit on the hot seat. for him to get canned we would have to miss a bowl and have another 45-0 egg bowl.

ScoobaDawg
04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
He can't be fired this year for performance. Even if we somehow went 2-10 it would be due to dak and Damien going down and several of the O line he wouldn't be fired.