PDA

View Full Version : Calipari to the Lakers?

Statefan
04-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I have seen this floating around twitter... I definitely want Cal gone from the SEC but I can't see him having much success in LA. He has done a remarkable job turning Kentucky around in the past few weeks but if Mike Brown and Dantoni couldn't do it, I don't see Calipari fixing the Lakers

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
The Lakers are the NYY of the NBA. They outspend everyone trying to find the right combination of players to win a championship, fail to develop the young guys, and are stuck with a bunch of bad contracts for old players whose skills have declined and/or stay injured. It'll be a few years before the Lakers can try to reassemble things, but they've got to look at their team building strategy going forward.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2014, 08:40 PM
I actually think Cal would be a great fit for LA, and would likely attract some free agents

Dawg61
04-07-2014, 09:48 PM
The Lakers are the NYY of the NBA. They outspend everyone trying to find the right combination of players to win a championship, fail to develop the young guys, and are stuck with a bunch of bad contracts for old players whose skills have declined and/or stay injured. It'll be a few years before the Lakers can try to reassemble things, but they've got to look at their team building strategy going forward.

This isn't MLB. There's a very strict luxury tax put on NBA teams if they go over the salary cap. The Lakers will only have Kobe and Nash on the books for next year. They will be very active this summer in free agency. If Cal goes NBA I think it's with the Knicks and their new Pres Phil Jackson.

coastdoglover
04-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Cal isn't going anywhere. He can get better talent every year than most colleges and it is refreshing to see a team with less MacDonald's All Americans win it all.

jumbo
04-08-2014, 08:12 AM
This isn't MLB. There's a very strict luxury tax put on NBA teams if they go over the salary cap. The Lakers will only have Kobe and Nash on the books for next year. They will be very active this summer in free agency. If Cal goes NBA I think it's with the Knicks and their new Pres Phil Jackson.

and some owners don't mind paying the tax. look at the Nets. they have a ridiculous team salary. they have a larger amount IN the luxury tax than some teams have entire payroll.

I'd love to see Cal gone from the SEC as well, but he's not a good fit for the NBA where you have to coach and not recruit.

C222
04-08-2014, 08:20 AM

There's a luxury tax in baseball too.

msstate7
04-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Maybe he will. Couldn't hurt us with newman

shannondawg
04-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Cal isn't going anywhere. He can get better talent every year than most colleges and it is refreshing to see a team with less MacDonald's All Americans win it all.

And no pesky salary capo to have contend with