PDA

View Full Version : Beer thread

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
All of this hit Smokestack in West Point today and should be in Oxford and Tupelo tomorrow. St.Barnardus Abt 12 and Tripel, Giardin geuze,
duchesse de Bourgogne, Saxo, Val-Dieu Brune, and Framboise Max. Abt 12 is one of the best abbey ales in the world and to have 3 different lambic/sour styles now is awesome. Great pickup for the folks in North MS.

Political Hack
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I thought I knew beer until I read this thread. Never heard of any of them, but will definitely have to try the Abt 12 if I see it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I thought I knew beer until I read this thread. Never heard of any of them, but will definitely have to try the Abt 12 if I see it.

That's because us liberal elite drink single malt scotch. I bet you and I could break down the isle of islay better than a cover 2.

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
All of these are Belgian beers. Abt 12 has been compared by many to Westy 12. They are made about 10 miles from each other. The duchesse is one of the best Flanders red ale styles out their as well. Tart and sour. Those really take some getting used to.

Political Hack
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I am a big fan of single malts and IPAs.

FlabLoser
05-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Tallgrass is my favorite IPA. Haven't had a lot of IPAs though.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Try caldera

col. forbin
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
All of these are Belgian beers. Abt 12 has been compared by many to Westy 12. They are made about 10 miles from each other. The duchesse is one of the best Flanders red ale styles out their as well. Tart and sour. Those really take some getting used to.

Gonna have to try the Abt 12. I read an article the other day on the Westy 12 and have a craving for it just knowing how impossible it is to get. BTW, I just read on their website that a lot of the shipments that they sent over in Dec. are still holding in customs and they are refunding those waiting and for the pending sales as well. And as a result no more shipping to the US anymore.

Damn Obama!

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
As far as IPAs go, in Mississippi I like Freckle Belly, Torpedo, and oddly enough Abita's Spring IPA was fantastic. For some reason Southern breweries have trouble making good IPAs. Bama has it down to a science as do folks in Florida. As far as just IPAs in general, I like Pliny, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Sucks, Heady Topper, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Stone Ruination, Stone Drink By's, Monkeynaut, Snakehandler, and my hoppy beer I keep in the fridge is Tallgrass 8-Bit. It's technically a pale ale, but to me it's a little hoppy for a pale, which is good.

Hack, you need to try Red Hare Gangway IPA. It's made in Marietta. It's more of a malty IPA, but sometimes I like that.

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
And speaking of IPAs, I'm dry hopping my first attempt at one right now. It's the kit that came with my homebrew set up and it's supposed to be really mild. I'm adding some honeydew melon for a week and dry hopping with some Cascade hops for another week. Hoping to get a sweeter, grapefruit aroma and flavor with a nice punch. Something to drink outside when it's hotter than hell.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ2bjKuCMAEIgJc.png:large

hailmari
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I loved 8-bit, I honestly bought it just because of the can art and it ended up being a solid beer. I like Red Hook's Longhammer IPA and Back 40's Naked Pig, too.

I'm open to trying anything new I see, so I'm noting anything y'all are mentioning.

Drugdog
05-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Beerfarley,
What do think about Tin Roof Blond out of Baton Rouge?
I think it is Outstanding.

Drugdog
05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
FYI.
I used to work at Doug's ( disko tech and Emporium). Those 25 cents drafts that you thought we're Bud Light or Miller Light were actually Milwaukees Best but with a Bud Light Sticker on the Keg.
Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Anywho.... Cheers.

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Beerfarley,
What do think about Tin Roof Blond out of Baton Rouge?
I think it is Outstanding.
It hasn't hit Oxford or North MS yet. Ill happily try it though. I really dig beers in cans. They stay fresher longer.

And Miller Lite, Bud or the Beast? No difference really.

Original48
05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Uhhh...that's where you're wrong fella. The Beast is a good $6 to $8 cheaper a case.

Original48
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
By the way Drugdog..outside of you, thick, 34 and myself, I doubt anyone else on this board remembers Doug's Discotheque and Student Emporium. Quality bands, quality fights, quality beer..prices.

woozman
05-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Farley, ever tried Ename tripel abbey ale from Belgium? Coworker brought me a 4-pack back from Fairhope last week. Not bad at all.

Political Hack
05-09-2013, 08:09 PM
definitely gonna look up the Red Hare. I like Sweetwater too, but they don't really blow me away. Stone Ruination is great. Still love the Dog Fish Head 60 Minute and the Weyerbacher Double Simco IPA.

TopDog58
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Try the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. It's a Lifestyle!

Political Hack
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I like the Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, and I usually don't like wheat or fruity beers.

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't do wheat beers. Unless it is something rare, for the most part I try to keep to local stuff. At the very least stuff in the South.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
I am a big fan of single malts and IPAs.

all I drink.

My gf does like that summer shandy. It is ok I guess. A lot of people rave about it. I like red wine that has hair on it, beer that has hair on it and liquor that has hair on it. I can drink maybe one of those fruity or wheat beers but have to immediately switch to the diesal

hailmari
05-09-2013, 09:47 PM
all I drink.

My gf does like that summer shandy. It is ok I guess. A lot of people rave about it. I like red wine that has hair on it, beer that has hair on it and liquor that has hair on it. I can drink maybe one of those fruity or wheat beers but have to immediately switch to the diesal

Exactly how I am. I just can't even enjoy a light beer for the sake of having a beer anymore. I guess that explains my permanent sweater.

Coach34
05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
By the way Drugdog..outside of you, thick, 34 and myself, I doubt anyone else on this board remembers Doug's Discotheque and Student Emporium. Quality bands, quality fights, quality beer..prices.

yes Sir...fun times

ckDOG
05-09-2013, 11:08 PM
It hasn't hit Oxford or North MS yet. Ill happily try it though. I really dig beers in cans. They stay fresher longer.

Is there any advantage bottles have over cans? The two beer killers outside of temperatures (that is outside of the container's control) are light and air. Bottles are more susceptible to both. Plus, canning is cheaper (I think?), better for the environment, more space efficient, and better for tailgating and camping. Other than snobbery, why the hell are we still bottling!?

ETA: I'm sure there are some beers out there that age better in bottle, but that's a small portion of the beer population.

FlabLoser
05-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Beer bottle glass is pretty damn dark and even the outside of the glass doesn't see much sunlight inside the beer truck, bar, grocery store, etc.

Only good beer I like that happens to come in a can is Tallgrass IPA.

FlabLoser
05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I like the Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, and I usually don't like wheat or fruity beers.

+1 that with a slice of orange.

Blue moon has some kind of clover honey seasonal in the summer that is awesome on a hot day, especially on tap.

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Flab, there are some awesome beers in cans. Heady Topper, Oskar Blues entire line-up, Westbrook IPA, Good People Snakehandler, Monkeynaut, Lily Flagg, Resin, Daisy Cutter, Jai Alai, and on and on. Canned beer keeps 100% of light out and holds the freshness longer. If beer is stored in sunlight, even with the amber colored bottles, over time it will get skunked.

FlabLoser
05-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Farley, what are the must-haves on this list? Besides Chimay. I'm gonna be there a little bit next week.

http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/littlerock/beer?groupby=brewer

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Green Flash West Coast IPA and Double Stout, Boulevard Tank 7, Single Wide, and Double Wide, Goose Island Matilda and Sophie, New Belgium Ranger. Those would be the ones I'd go for. That's 4 IPAs, 2 Saisons, a Belgian strong(think Orval) and an imperial stout. Pretty much anything from Green Flash and Boulevard is going to be solid.

FlabLoser
05-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Sweet. Thanks.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Green Flash West Coast IPA and Double Stout, Boulevard Tank 7, Single Wide, and Double Wide, Goose Island Matilda and Sophie, New Belgium Ranger. Those would be the ones I'd go for. That's 4 IPAs, 2 Saisons, a Belgian strong(think Orval) and an imperial stout. Pretty much anything from Green Flash and Boulevard is going to be solid.

green flash ipa is tits. goose island IPA is pretty decent as well.

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
If you ever see Green Flash Palate Wrecker pick it up. It's a lot like stone ruination. And got a bit of a danky weed flavor and smell. It's awesome!

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:47 AM
green flash ipa is tits. goose island IPA is pretty decent as well.
Next time your in Nashville go try Turtle Anarchy. Had some friends hit them up and they said their stuff was great.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I like the ranger IPA ok as well

fishwater99
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Here are a few IPA's I like... Some available in MS

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sierra Nevada (Northern and Southern Hemisphere's)
Abita Jackamo
Abita Spring IPA
Yazoo Hop Project
Rouge Yellow Snow
Tallgrass IPA
ACME IPA
Widmer Rotator IPA
Monkey Fist IPA
Goose Island IPA (Can never find it)
New Belgium Rampart IPA(soon in LA)
Ranger IPA (now in LA)
Great Divide Titan IPA
Odell's IPA
Deviant Dale's IPA
Dogfish Head 60 & 90 min

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/5d4540cab9c811e2ab6522000a9f4d9e_7.jpg

My latest beer gift from a friend. Never had any of these before and after Enis has been talking up Caldera I'm really excited about that one.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/5d4540cab9c811e2ab6522000a9f4d9e_7.jpg

My latest beer gift from a friend. Never had any of these before and after Enis has been talking up Caldera I'm really excited about that one.

haha, you better like Imother****ingPA because that is about as hoppy as it gets. Besides, they have the best can design in the bidness.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Here are a few IPA's I like... Some available in MS

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sierra Nevada (Northern and Southern Hemisphere's)
Abita Jackamo
Abita Spring IPA
Yazoo Hop Project
Rouge Yellow Snow
Tallgrass IPA
ACME IPA
Widmer Rotator IPA
Monkey Fist IPA
Goose Island IPA (Can never find it)
New Belgium Rampart IPA(soon in LA)
Ranger IPA (now in LA)
Great Divide Titan IPA
Odell's IPA
Deviant Dale's IPA
Dogfish Head 60 & 90 min

Ive had all those except maybe 4. I like almost any IPA. IPA is like scotch. You love it or hate it.

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Just had that Caldera. It's a solid ass IPA. Would buy it again in a heartbeat. It has a sweetness going on that I can't quite place. Maybe pink grapefruit?

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Just had that Caldera. It's a solid ass IPA. Would buy it again in a heartbeat. It has a sweetness going on that I can't quite place. Maybe pink grapefruit?

I dont know how they do it. Beer is in the eye of the beholder. I just know that most IPAs taste generally the same. Caldera is just slightly different. It has more of an IPA taste than any IPA Ive ever drank but at the end, it changes. It is definately a BEER though. I drink a 6 pack and Im toast.

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:10 PM
If you like Chimay Blue, do yourself a favor and find this. It's about a dollar cheaper too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310024_311394062327538_693305211_n.jpg

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I actually drank one of those tonight, believe it or not.

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
This stuff will knock you on your ass. Hard. 10% ABV.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
yes farley. I think the beer threads can have their own life. Esp now that folks in MS and Bama have passed the hops....it is like getting vag for the first time. Maybe we need a sticky thread on different micros throughout the country. SE, NE, PNW, EC, WC, RM, etc. I know you are privy to SC and SE and I think the Rockies and WEst are ahead of the game....so maybe we should start a thread or a forum just for alcohol. Have a scotch, wine, beer, bourbon, etc topic inside the forum?

Vandownbytheriver
05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
I'll talk beer all day long. It's about the only thing I really give a shit about.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I'll talk beer all day long. It's about the only thing I really give a shit about.

Scotch

Beer

MSU

Work