PDA

View Full Version : MSU big four vs. Ole Miss big four- who would you rather have?

Todd4State
04-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Jamaal Clayborn vs. Tunsil

Bear Wilson vs. Treadwell

Chris Jones vs. Nkemdiche

Ashton Shumpert vs. Tony Conner

Clayborn- three star, but played as a freshman at guard. Likely starts this year at LG and has a very high upside.

Wilson- three star that was under the radar because he played basketball. Is 6'5" 225 ish and was one of our top go to WR's by the end of the year along with Jameon.

Jones- five star who blew up in the recruiting world. Very solid freshman year and looks to improve.

Shumpert- four star and I picked him to compare a top Mississippi recruit vs. a top Mississippi recruit in Conner. Had a solid start as the number three guy and is poised to be number two with Robinson. Scored a few TD's in blow outs, but very high upside.

And then...

Tunsil- Three year type talent at the premium position on the o-line, and was very solid but battled injuries.

Treadwell- Put up good numbers- but mostly on screens. Some questions about his ability to catch passes downfield at this point in time.

Nkemdiche- Very similar numbers to Jones, but also has had some disciplinary issues.

Conner- Very solid season as a freshman and will be a solid four year starter and potential all-SEC player.

chef dixon
04-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Tunsil, Treadwell, Jones, and at least for the moment Conner, but that could easily change this year.

Coach34
04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm gonna go with Clayborn over Tunsil- Tunsil got hurt twice last year and then banged up in the Spring game. He has played very well at times- but Clayborn is going to show out these next 3 years. He was solid as a true freshman- and has had a great Spring going against Jones day after day.

Treadwell over Wilson. Treadwell is more polished. Wilson is going to get better and better and will be a force- possibly even a better NFL player overall, but Treadwell is the better player RIGHT NOW.

Jones over Kimchee. Not even real close

Conner over Shump. Conner is a 3 year guy on defense and then NFL. I think Shump chose wrong. Shump will be a solid to good SEC RB, but he could have been a great LB/SS on defense.

RossDawg82
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Treadwell had a great year. I wasn't as impressed with his numbers as I was with his effort. He is in my opinion the best recruit ole miss has ever had. Other than that I take state players hands down. Jones and Wilson are going to the gems of that class. Both will break a lot of records here

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Tunsil, Conner, Jones, Treadwell.

Problem for Ole Miss is that, other than kicker, those may be the only positions on their entire team that are better than our corresponding position.

messageboardsuperhero
04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm gonna go with Clayborn over Tunsil- Tunsil got hurt twice last year and then banged up in the Spring game. He has played very well at times- but Clayborn is going to show out these next 3 years. He was solid as a true freshman- and has had a great Spring going against Jones day after day.

Treadwell over Wilson. Treadwell is more polished. Wilson is going to get better and better and will be a force- possibly even a better NFL player overall, but Treadwell is the better player RIGHT NOW.

Jones over Kimchee. Not even real close

Conner over Shump. Conner is a 3 year guy on defense and then NFL. I think Shump chose wrong. Shump will be a solid to good SEC RB, but he could have been a great LB/SS on defense.

I agree with pretty much all of this. If this is by college production, Clayborne will likely be great here for three more full years, and Tunsil will only be there for two more years (and he probably won't be healthy for that entire two years).

hailmari
04-07-2014, 07:01 PM
I agree.. An argument could be made for Cody Prewitt. Maybe.

msstate7
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I agree.. An argument could be made for Cody Prewitt. Maybe.

I would take prewitt in a heartbeat. Love his physical play

Homedawg
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Guys, he's talking about 4 guys that are all going into their soph year. Thus the comparison.

shoeless joe
04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
I take the work ethic and overall attitude and commitment of our guys on all choices given...and those things mean a whole heckuva lot when trying to build a winning team

Based solely on talent: tunsil, treadwell, jones, and the last one is close but based on on field production gotta take Conner.

DCdawg
04-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Tunsil, Wilson, Jones, Conner

Big4Dawg
04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Can someone find OM's whole depth chart?

Here is a poster from Rant who said this is the "All-Mississippi" team. As you can tell, he has no clue what he's talking about.

"Mississippi

OFFENSE
Quarterback: Tough...Bo Wallace for the experience alone, but I'm not 100%. A solid full season of starts by Dak may prove his worth to me.
Running Back: I'Tavius Mathers
Wide Receiver: Laquon Treadwell
Wide Receiver: Quincy Adeboyejo
Wide Receiver: Jameon Lewis
Tight End: Evan Engram
Left Tackle: Laremy Tunsil
Left Guard: Aaron Morris
Center: Dillon Day
Right Guard: I dunno...With Gabe Jackson gone who does State have now? We don't really have another no-brainer pick to go here.
Right Tackle: Austin Golson

DEFENSE
Defensive End: CJ Johnson
Defensive Tackle: Chris Jones
Defensive Tackles: Robert Nkemdiche
Defensive End: Fadol Brown...or if State has some beastly DE that I don't know about get them.
Outside Linebacker: Cody Prewitt
Middle Linebacker: Benardrick McKinney
Outside Linebacker: Serdarius Bryant
Cornerback: Derrick Jones
Safety: Kendrick Market
Safety: Tony Conner
Cornerback: Senquez Golson

SPECIAL TEAMS
Punt Returner: Jameon Lewis
Kick Returner: Jaylen Walton/Jameon Lewis
Punter: Will Gleeson
Kicker: Gary Wunderlich

Moved an All-American Safety, Cody Prewitt, to OLB because I think that's his position at the next level. Replaced him with Market, who I think is a solid Safety.

I'll admit, I only really know the stars from MSU. Chris Jones, McKinney and Lewis are obvious takes. They're ballers. Dillon Day is a great center with experience."

Will James
04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Tunsil
Conner
Jones
Treadwell

Jones is the best of the group though.

Coach34
04-07-2014, 08:32 PM
C34 say:

OFFENSE
Quarterback: Dakota Prescott
Running Back: Josh Robinson
Wide Receiver: Bear Wilson
Wide Receiver: Jameon Lewis or Adebayo- solid 4 top WR's
Tight End: Push on Johnson and Engram
Left Tackle: Blaine Clausell (he will stay healthy and is a 4 yr starter)
Left Guard: ​Push on Clayborn and Morris
Right Guard: Push

DEFENSE
Defensive End: Preston Smith
Outside Linebacker: Matthew Wells
Cornerback: Taveze Calhoun
Safety: Cody Prewitt
Cornerback: Will Redmond

My picks were based on what I think their performance will be in 2014- not anything else.

Todd4State
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Maybe someone should tell that guy about our beastly DE named Preston Smith who was the defensive MVP in the Liberty Bowl.

Bothrops
04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Wallace should never be picked over Prescott, even in a hypothetical. He does nothing better than Dak, except look and act like a girl.

Homedawg
04-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Here is a poster from Rant who said this is the "All-Mississippi" team. As you can tell, he has no clue what he's talking about.

"Mississippi

OFFENSE
Quarterback: Tough...Bo Wallace for the experience alone, but I'm not 100%. A solid full season of starts by Dak may prove his worth to me.
Right Guard: I dunno...With Gabe Jackson gone who does State have now? We don't really have another no-brainer pick to go here.

DEFENSE
Defensive End: Fadol Brown...or if State has some beastly DE that I don't know about get them.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Moved an All-American Safety, Cody Prewitt, to OLB because I think that's his position at the next level. Replaced him with Market, who I think is a solid Safety.

I'll admit, I only really know the stars from MSU. Chris Jones, McKinney and Lewis are obvious takes. They're ballers. Dillon Day is a great center with experience."

Delete

messageboardsuperhero
04-07-2014, 09:54 PM

"Mississippi

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS

I stopped at I'Tavius Mathers.

ETA: Holy shit, he chose those corners? What a joke. We have 3-4 corners on our roster better than Golson and Jones.

Pollodawg
04-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Dak's arm is every bit as good as Bo's and his legs are way, way better.

Todd4State
04-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Dak's arm is every bit as good as Bo's and his legs are way, way better.

Understatement. The other thing about Dak is he can create and move in the pocket.

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I'll take Clayborn, Treadwell, Jones, and Conner.

Clayborn: The next Gabe Jackson. Very, very good in a time share role his freshman season. No injury history, unlike Tunsil.

Treadwell: Legit, immediate impact WR. He's big and physical with enough speed to get downfield. Unlike most of the other BearShark prima donnas, he seems to stay out of trouble. Bear may be the better player in the long run, but Treadwell's a 3-and-done type player.

Jones: Since it's the night after WrestleMania, I'll say CJ is The Beast Incarnate. Dominant whether he's lined up inside at DT or outside at DE. Another 3-and-done type.

Conner: An elite talent who would solidify the safety position for us. Very, very fast and not afraid to hit. Big threat once he gets the ball in his hands. Like with Treadwell & CJ, 3-and-done level of talent.

I'm sorry, but anyone taking Bear or Shump over Treadwell or Conner is a homer. An argument can be made for Tunsil, but I went with Clayborn because Tunsil looks like he might be the BearSharks' Tobias Smith. Great player who can't stay healthy.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Tunsil, Conner, Jones, Treadwell.

Problem for Ole Miss is that, other than kicker, those may be the only positions on their entire team that are better than our corresponding position.

This is pretty spot on. Anyone who would take Clayborne over Tunsil at this point of their careers is just giving the maroon koolaid a swig. He may well turn out better, but at the moment at least, Tunsil looks to be a top draft pick at one of the most important positions in the game. They also play different positions, so its not a clear cut comparison. Jones is much better than Knemdiche and Treadwell is more polished at the moment than Wilson. Conner and Shumpert are playing different positions unless I missed something, so I'm not sure how you can really compare them. Since we have so many good RBs, I suppose I'd prefer to have Conner though.

But after that, I'm with Shotgun. I'd take our guys for the most part. I'd probably also want Prewitt. Otherwise, I'd like their LB Bryant, CJ at rush end, maybe Vincent Sanders and that frosh TE they have to stretch the field from the TE spot - but those guys wouldn't necessarily be clear cut starters for us. They've got a couple OL that would either start for us or give us good depth as well (thinking that Golson kid that FSU is all pissed about from that class)

jumbo
04-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Tunsil, Jones, Conner and Treadwell right now.

mic
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Better comparison is the Miss Grand Slam Class of 2011... Looks like we won this battle

Dak....... Snoop
McKinnley....... CJ
Cox ....... Tobias
PJ....... Moncrief
P Smith....... Morris
Josh Robinson ....... Prewitt
Calhoun ...... Golson
Dee....... Denzel NK
Market....... Karmeon Wood
Malone....... Bryant

And I even left off the best QB to come out of Miss since Jason Campbell .. Miller..

Coach34
04-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I chose Clayborn based off 2 things:

1. Watching Clayborn go H2H with Jones in practice and it was basically a draw. Clayborn is about to show what kind of player he is.

2. Watching Tunsil on the sideline during the Egg Bowl testing his knee and then saying he couldn't go. Tunsil could have played- he was moving fine. He didn't want back in. That's not a guy I want. He has great talent- but I question his heart when it gets tough

BeardoMSU
04-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Tunsil - regardless of how injury prone he is or his attitude, that dude has elite talent, which is something we'd love to have on our O-line. His "attitude" issues may be different if he played for a different coach, too, which is something worth taking into account. Mullen doesn't pander that shit; if he acts like a bitch, he won't play, but I've seen Dan bring the best out of his players since day 1 (an exception being Quay, but that's no ones fault but his own).

Treadwell - again, elite talent. All the "bubble screen" stuff is funny, but if you think thats all he's gonna be catching this year, you're gonna have a rude awakening; he is gonna catch some big passes this year, and I wish we had him. As far as Bear: I'm a huge fan of his, and if was Bear vs. other WR's from the SEC, I'd probably take him. His potential is huge (not many 6'6" WR's out there), so I'm hoping he'll show some big flash this year where I'd feel comfortable taking him over Paidwell.

Jones - all week and twice on Sunday. The dude is a stud. That being said, if I had a second choice for a DL, I'd take RK. Those two guys on the same D-line would be disgusting. Though both are elite, I see Jones as being more of an outside threat and very versatile, where RK will likely be a career DT.

Shump and Conner? This is tough because they play different positions. If you ask me what I think we need more this year, it'd be a good safety. RB has become a fairly easy position to fill, especially for us; I can't remember the last time we didn't have a stable of good backs.

I agree, that outside of these few guys, OM doesn't have the position guys that we have.

msstate7
04-08-2014, 09:46 AM
If I had to choose right now between bear and treadwell I'd probably choose treadwell. Down the stretch in the egg it was bear making plays though not treadwell. I think after this year this argument gets much, much closer

bgdog
04-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Tunsil, Treadwell, Jones, Conner

codeDawg
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't have time to do the comparison right now, but the other missing angle is depth. UM has some great talent from the big recruiting class, but he have quality depth at almost every position but OL and S right now. The vast majority of our players are 5-year guys. We have a lot of redshirted 4-stars, and it isn't because they didn't have the talent to play as freshmen.

thf24
04-08-2014, 11:41 AM
My picks were based on what I think their performance will be in 2014- not anything else.

Slightly off topic, but based on your picks there, are you expecting Redmond to take over Love's starting spot at some point? Just curious.

codeDawg
04-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Slightly off topic, but based on your picks there, are you expecting Redmond to take over Love's starting spot at some point? Just curious.

Not C34, but I would doubt he starts over Love because: 1. Mullen honors seniority, and 2. they will both play a lot so it won't matter who starts in the end.

1bigdawg
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I think Shump chose wrong. Shump will be a solid to good SEC RB, but he could have been a great LB/SS on defense.

I agree on Shump, but I wonder if he has the foot speed and hips for SS.

Coach34
04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
No- Love will start and play well. I put Redmond in there because I think he is better overall and makes our Nickel Package really tough. We'll play a shit ton of Nickel this year also because we are good enough upfront to play it on run downs vs certain teams.

Pollodawg
04-08-2014, 01:22 PM
What about trying Shump at fullback?

Coach34
04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
What about trying Shump at fullback?

He was in the Liberty Biwl in goal line. And that is the only time we run a FB

smootness
04-08-2014, 01:39 PM

This is my favorite part of the post. 'I only know a few guys on State's team, and I know every player on Ole Miss' roster, so here is my team of the best players from the state.'

It would be like me saying:

'Here is my 'All-NL East' team:

C - Evan Gattis
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Dan Uggla, unless any other team employs a 2B
SS - Andrelton Simmons
3B - Chris Johson
RF - Bryce Harper
CF - Jason Heyward (I moved him)
LF - Justin Upton

SP - Julio Teheran
SP - Mike Minor
SP - Steven Strasburg
SP - Alex Wood
SP - Aaron Harang; or I don't know, does another team have a pitcher better?

*I'll admit, the only players in the division I know outside of the Braves are Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg.'

msstate7
04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
This is my favorite part of the post. 'I only know a few guys on State's team, and I know every player on Ole Miss' roster, so here is my team of the best players from the state.'

C - Evan Gattis
1B - Freddie Freeman
SS - Andrelton Simmons
3B - Chris Johson
RF - Bryce Harper
LF - Justin Upton

SP - Julio Teheran
SP - Mike Minor
SP - Steven Strasburg
SP - Alex Wood

*I'll admit, the only players in the division I know outside of the Braves are Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg.'

Plug Santana in for strasburg and you nailed it***

War Machine Dawg
04-08-2014, 02:40 PM

C - Evan Gattis
1B - Freddie Freeman
SS - Andrelton Simmons
3B - Chris Johson
RF - Bryce Harper
LF - Justin Upton

SP - Julio Teheran
SP - Mike Minor
SP - Steven Strasburg
SP - Alex Wood

Nice! Now for the REAL NL East team:

C: Jarrod Saltalamacchia/Evan Gattis (C is pretty much a platoon situation for teams now)
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Anthony Rendon
SS: Andrelton Simmons
3B: David Wright
LF: Bryce Harper
CF: Jason Heyward
RF: Jayson Werth

SP: Steven Strasburg
SP: Cole Hamels
SP: Julio Teheran
SP: Zack Wheeler
SP: Mike Minor

Closer: Craig Kimbrel

Note: If I can move IF players, I'm putting Ian Desmond as the starter at 2B. It sucks that having to choose between his bat and Simmons' D. Rendon has the most upside of the NL East 2B, though. All the others suck: Uggla, Daniel Murphy, Chase Utley, and Derek Dietrech.

UMCDawg16
04-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Jones over Kimdashian but outside of him I would take the OM player over ours. Clayborn and DeRunnya have a chance to be special though.

smootness
04-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Nice! Now for the REAL NL East team:

C: Jarrod Saltalamacchia/Evan Gattis (C is pretty much a platoon situation for teams now)
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Anthony Rendon
SS: Andrelton Simmons
3B: David Wright
LF: Bryce Harper
CF: Jason Heyward
RF: Jayson Werth

SP: Steven Strasburg
SP: Cole Hamels
SP: Julio Teheran
SP: Zack Wheeler
SP: Mike Minor

Closer: Craig Kimbrel

Note: If I can move IF players, I'm putting Ian Desmond as the starter at 2B. It sucks that having to choose between his bat and Simmons' D. Rendon has the most upside of the NL East 2B, though. All the others suck: Uggla, Daniel Murphy, Chase Utley, and Derek Dietrech.

I think this is pretty spot-on, though I might put Ruiz at catcher and might put Stanton in the OF.

And obviously Harvey moves into the rotation once he's back, and I'd move Wheeler out. Also, someone could take Strasburg's spot this year if he doesn't stay healthy.

But I'd go Simmons over Desmond without even thinking about it. I think he's more valuable than Desmond right now and clearly has more room to improve with his offense.

War Machine Dawg
04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I think this is pretty spot-on, though I might put Ruiz at catcher and might put Stanton in the OF.

And obviously Harvey moves into the rotation once he's back, and I'd move Wheeler out. Also, someone could take Strasburg's spot this year if he doesn't stay healthy.

But I'd go Simmons over Desmond without even thinking about it. I think he's more valuable than Desmond right now and clearly has more room to improve with his offense.

I like Ruiz, but he's getting old. Definitely considered Stanton in the OF, but Werth has been money. Either way, can't go wrong there.

The only reason that Wheeler & Minor are in the rotation is injuries to Harvey & Medlen. Of course, this being Medlen's 2nd TJ, you gotta assume Minor will be the better pitcher going forward.