PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy...

CadaverDawg
04-07-2014, 08:06 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=travis-haney&id=2238

CadaverDawg
04-07-2014, 08:09 AM
For those without access, Haney says MSU is a dark horse for the National Title in 2014. Coaches said MSU was among the more talented teams they faced last year...one coach said "they're just Big, bigger than anyone we faced".

(I would copy and paste, but I don't have access. A buddy told me about it bc he heard it on Out of Bounds)

Coach34
04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
And this is what I was trying to tell everyone last year. We did have talent and Mullen has been recruiting well. The problem was early injuries that slowed our progress and a young team.

We arent young this year and we have depth. This is our chance

starkvegasdawg
04-07-2014, 08:26 AM
There was a thread a while back where people listed the one thing they wanted to see this coming up season. I never put anything there but here is what I want to see this season and it ties in to the dark horse theme. Not sure if this is on the players, coaches, or both but I want to see us develop a killer instinct. We let too many teams we are clearly better than hang around far too long in a game. See UK last year as a prime example. I want us to get a team down early and then put a foot on their throat and grind it into the ground. For us to get a top tier bowl (or even try to sniff the playoff for the NC) we will have to not just beat the lesser teams, but destroy them. With there being a selection committee now we can't have some game where we barely pull it out against a La Tech or Troy. We have one game like that and the selection committee will just chuckle midly to themselves when our name comes up and then ask who is next on the list. An Alabama or FSU could get away with a game like that but we can't. This also goes for when we are playing a good team and get up on them. We have to continue to keep the pressure up and just take away their will to play. It was almost a running joke last year at the end of the half. It became not would the other team score, but in what fashion would they score. Them scoring with under a minute remaining was as accepted a fact as Will James being pissed when we bunt in baseball. We need to come out, punch the other team in the mouth and as soon as they get up punch them again. Then kick them in the gut when they are down and dare them to get back up again.

smootness
04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
There was a thread a while back where people listed the one thing they wanted to see this coming up season. I never put anything there but here is what I want to see this season and it ties in to the dark horse theme. Not sure if this is on the players, coaches, or both but I want to see us develop a killer instinct. We let too many teams we are clearly better than hang around far too long in a game. See UK last year as a prime example. I want us to get a team down early and then put a foot on their throat and grind it into the ground. For us to get a top tier bowl (or even try to sniff the playoff for the NC) we will have to not just beat the lesser teams, but destroy them. With there being a selection committee now we can't have some game where we barely pull it out against a La Tech or Troy. We have one game like that and the selection committee will just chuckle midly to themselves when our name comes up and then ask who is next on the list. An Alabama or FSU could get away with a game like that but we can't. This also goes for when we are playing a good team and get up on them. We have to continue to keep the pressure up and just take away their will to play. It was almost a running joke last year at the end of the half. It became not would the other team score, but in what fashion would they score. Them scoring with under a minute remaining was as accepted a fact as Will James being pissed when we bunt in baseball. We need to come out, punch the other team in the mouth and as soon as they get up punch them again. Then kick them in the gut when they are down and dare them to get back up again.

I agree with you regarding the killer instinct, completely disagree that it would have any bearing on the playoff. If we win the SEC, we're in the playoff, period.

I doubt we end up there, just saying that a close win against anybody wouldn't have any bearing on that. Beat LSU, Alabama, Auburn, etc. and it more than makes up for any 'weak' wins.

But I think the lack of a killer instinct had to do with being young, as Coach said. We did a better job late in the year of avoiding the let-up scores. We had a lot of impact defensive players who were young last year - McKinney and both Browns at LB, Chris Jones, Redmond/Calhoun/Jiles, Market, etc. This year 3/4 of our starting DL will probably be Srs, McKinney will be in his 4th year, Wells will be a Sr, the Browns both now have a lot of experience; then adding Hughes to the secondary along with just about everyone returning with experience...we'll see more consistently on defense.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Not to be too negative but I will believe it when/if we beat LSU. If we can finally get over that hump I think we could have a 10 win season.

smootness
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Not to be too negative but I will believe it when/if we beat LSU. If we can finally get over that hump I think we could have a 10 win season.

I think everyone agrees. I would feel really good about that game if it were in Starkville, even despite our recent record against them; but in Baton Rouge will always be tough. I don't expect a win, I'd put our chances at something around 40% or so.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
How do you make LSU a SLEEPER National Title contender? How would anyone ever confuse LSU as a SLEEPER? I've always thought that it was understood that LSU was a contender every year.

dickiedawg
04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
They're not being considered a contender, though. I could see them being picked 4th in the division because the media love them some Ole Miss (gag). They lost their quarterback and everyone just kind of dismissed them, and that's kind of the point of the article. Don't sleep on LSU.

Here's the money shot from the article, for those without access:

Honorable mention: Coaches I talk with keep saying Mississippi State was among the more talented teams they faced a year ago, even if that talent was raw. No player sums that up more than quarterback Dak Prescott, whose name is starting to come up as a Heisman dark horse after a five-TD game in the team's Liberty Bowl blowout of Rice. The Bulldogs seem like they're in the wrong division to make a run, but they might be a better sleeper choice than, say, another team in the state.

dogshiek
04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
We are going to score a lot of points this year. We are going to stop a lot of teams from scoring very many points. How are going to beat the LSU's on our schedule with inability to kick a field goal????????

slickdawg
04-07-2014, 10:04 AM
And this is what I was trying to tell everyone last year. We did have talent and Mullen has been recruiting well. The problem was early injuries that slowed our progress and a young team.

We arent young this year and we have depth. This is our chance

And running a run spread offense with a pocket passing QB.

messageboardsuperhero
04-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I have two major concerns for this team:

1) OL depth
2) Field goal kicking

Get those two squared away- we could win 9+ games in the regular season.

RougeDawg
04-07-2014, 10:17 AM
We are going to score a lot of points this year. We are going to stop a lot of teams from scoring very many points. How are going to beat the LSU's on our schedule with inability to kick a field goal????????

The difference in us having a shot at the West and making a bowl hinge solely on our FG kicking. It has cost us tremendously the last few years. I didn't see final stats from scrimmage but saw where Sobiesk was 2-4 Saturday. Not gonna cut it with that.

slickdawg
04-07-2014, 10:17 AM

1) OL depth
2) Field goal kicking

Spot on. If we are going to beat an LSU/Bama odds are it will be by a field goal. You have to make field goal for that to happen.

Our starting 5 are fine. After that, we're very young.

Pollodawg
04-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Exactly. Piss on sportsmanship. When we play vandy, UK, USM, and the other OOC teams, we should score till the damn scoreboard short circuits. Scew building a lead then sitting on it. One of the biggest things I fault Dan for last season was the Auburn game. Being up four on a team in this conference on the road is not enough, man. Turn the Dak Attack loose and blow the doors off those Weagle fuqers.

esplanade91
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I knew we were big but I didn't really think much of it until I read this and looked at some other rosters.

Everyone in the SEC has big ass linemen, so that's a wash, but our linebackers, receivers, tightends, backs, and DB's are on average 10lbs bigger than everyone else. Alabama has DB's the same size as ours almost to a T, and I take that as a good thing considering Saban is the DB-guru.

And obviously it's not 10-15lbs in a bad way...

Mullen figured out early on that he wasn't going to fill his roster with 5 StArZ and knew that at the college level you can disguise talent with size and experience (i.e. redshirting).

ETA: We have a shit ton of TAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL receivers making their way up the ranks.

FISHDAWG
04-07-2014, 10:53 AM

I only hope we stop allowing the opponent an easy score right before the half .... I have rewatched almost the entire season and it was a huge problem

smootness
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I knew we were big but I didn't really think much of it until I read this and looked at some other rosters.

Everyone in the SEC has big ass linemen, so that's a wash, but our linebackers, receivers, tightends, backs, and DB's are on average 10lbs bigger than everyone else. Alabama has DB's the same size as ours almost to a T, and I take that as a good thing considering Saban is the DB-guru.

And obviously it's not 10-15lbs in a bad way...

Mullen figured out early on that he wasn't going to fill his roster with 5 StArZ and knew that at the college level you can disguise talent with size and experience (i.e. redshirting).

ETA: We have a shit ton of TAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL receivers making their way up the ranks.

Yep. I've made the point over and over, but it holds true - it's clear that we're making a conscious shift to just be big and fast all over the field. It looks like we're trying to move more toward the Stanford model (not in the types of plays we run but in the fact that we are moving toward tough, physical football) and away from the Oregon model. And I love that.

As college football trends more and more to small, shifty guys running around in space, I think our best bet is to be bigger than everyone else and punch them in the mouth.

Pollodawg
04-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Yep. I've made the point over and over, but it holds true - it's clear that we're making a conscious shift to just be big and fast all over the field. It looks like we're trying to move more toward the Stanford model (not in the types of plays we run but in the fact that we are moving toward tough, physical football) and away from the Oregon model. And I love that.

As college football trends more and more to small, shifty guys running around in space, I think our best bet is to be bigger than everyone else and punch them in the mouth.

See, I am a four yards and a cloud of dust type guy. Run them mofos over and smother them on D. That's the kind of football I like.

PMDawg
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM

1) OL depth
2) Field goal kicking

You have to add game/roster management to that. Perkins is gone, so no more Perkins up the gut, but personnel, clock, and game management have hurt us the last two seasons.

Bubb Rubb
04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
You have to add game/roster management to that. Perkins is gone, so no more Perkins up the gut, but personnel, clock, and game management have hurt us the last two seasons.

Odds are that this won't go away. Mullen goes full retard on clock management, and this is really saying something because I never thought anyone would be worse than Jackie was at managing the game clock. Also, I think it's just Mullen's way that we need to expect having the wrong guy punting or kicking field goals, or starting at wideout, or whatever.

That said, the personnel part of it should be less of a problem this year than last.

thunderclap
04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Not just FG kicking but we can't get damn punts blocked in SEC games.

BulldogBear
04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
How do you make LSU a SLEEPER National Title contender? How would anyone ever confuse LSU as a SLEEPER? I've always thought that it was understood that LSU was a contender every year.

I think it's along the lines of they may not actually be expected have some great team but if they are expected to be much over .500 they are a "sleeper" just by reputation. Bama would be the same way. Michigan USED to have that mystique, etc.

Pollodawg
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I think it's along the lines of they may not actually be expected have some great team but if they are expected to be much over .500 they are a "sleeper" just by reputation. Bama would be the same way. Michigan USED to have that mystique, etc.

I have no faith in either of LSU's QBs from what I read after their spring game, we are looking at JJ 2.0 for both of them.