PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attend the scrimmage?

Maroons
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Appears that our D looked awesome. Details?

Coach34
04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
We didnt play Day, Malone, or Joc Johnson on the OL. Lots of mixing and matching there. I do hear that Warren and Flowers are really coming along.

Prescott didnt complete a good percentage but hit alot of big plays- one a 50 yd TD to Tubby on a wheel route.

We have a top 10 defense- they should win most of the time. You never hear of Bama's offense throttling Saban's D during their Spring practices

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I was not at this weeks scrimmage, but attended last week's.

The defense is deep, long, and physical, but the offense also has a lot of good players as well. One thing I really like about this year's spring practices is that that not one side of the ball is dominating. Some people may look at that and think it means that both sides aren't very good, but after seeing them practice and how the defense and offense played at the end of last season, it is because both sides of the ball have good players that are capable of making plays on any given day.

Also, remember that the coaches don't let Dak run in scrimmages. So, Dak's biggest strength in keeping the defense honest, is a non-factor in these scrimmages.

BulldogBear
04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Also, remember that the coaches don't let Dak run in scrimmages. So, Dak's biggest strength in keeping the defense honest, is a non-factor in these scrimmages.

This^ ....I was just thinking that when I got to bottom of your encouraging post!

Pollodawg
04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
We didnt play Day, Malone, or Joc Johnson on the OL. Lots of mixing and matching there. I do hear that Warren and Flowers are really coming along.

Prescott didnt complete a good percentage but hit alot of big plays- one a 50 yd TD to Tubby on a wheel route.

We have a top 10 defense- they should win most of the time. You never hear of Bama's offense throttling Saban's D during their Spring practices

I love to hear that about D. With that D, Dak doesn't have to be Peyton Manning. He just has to do what he does, provide leadership and move the ball down the field in the air and on the ground. See, I am not a stats guy. I don't give a rat's ass if Dak throws for 3200 yards. I just want him to be effective and put us in positions to score. And I know will.

We have never had a player like Dakota here. I have said before, and I will say it again. His time here will be special, and we will look back in ten years just like we did on Jackie's run in the late nineties.

Coach 57
04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
I went and paid particular attention to the RT spot. Actually talked to Siddoway during the scrimmage. He talked a lot about Robinson. But after seeing him & Thomas go against different looks at DE. Both made mistakes here and there but I can tell you this, they were pretty even. And that to me is an indictment on Robinson. He's been here too long and moved from OT, to OG (last year) to RT (this year) and to be no better than that it is pretty sad. Thomas hasn't even been here a FULL year yet & is as good as Robinson right now.

CadaverDawg
04-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Coach57, how was the Orgeron thing? Did you ever provide a breakdown? Sorry if I missed it, but I'd love to hear how it went.

Johnson85
04-07-2014, 07:54 AM
they were pretty even. And that to me is an indictment on Robinson. He's been here too long and moved from OT, to OG (last year) to RT (this year) and to be no better than that it is pretty sad. Thomas hasn't even been here a FULL year yet & is as good as Robinson right now.

Is Robinson really not putting in the work, or does he just not have the ability. I haven't heard anything about him being lazy or not doing what he's supposed to do. Not sure it's his fault that he's not a good SEC lineman. There's a lot more to it than just being huge.

Irondawg
04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I think robinson has put forth the effort. Lineman that don't usually don't last the whole time. I just think he has slow feet and that's tough to overcome.

smootness
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I think robinson has put forth the effort. Lineman that don't usually don't last the whole time. I just think he has slow feet and that's tough to overcome.

Yep, we would have weeded him out before his 5th year if he wasn't working hard.

mic
04-07-2014, 09:48 AM
I went and paid particular attention to the RT spot. Actually talked to Siddoway during the scrimmage. He talked a lot about Robinson. But after seeing him & Thomas go against different looks at DE. Both made mistakes here and there but I can tell you this, they were pretty even. And that to me is an indictment on Robinson. He's been here too long and moved from OT, to OG (last year) to RT (this year) and to be no better than that it is pretty sad. Thomas hasn't even been here a FULL year yet & is as good as Robinson right now.

I think this fall we may see a new body at RT. Justin Malone or Joc Johnson may get that job. Both have been very limited this spring. And also with us running a lot of double tight sets we will have some help over there for whoever wins that job.
But I agree with Coach , Robinson should be separating himself from everyone with the experience he has.
We will know a lot more the first week of fall practice.. also Rufus Warren might in this mix as well...

Coach 57
04-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I heard Malone was a good possibility. But either of these two guys could turn the corner too. But honestly Robinson's biggest issue is his feet & his hips. His feet are WAY too slow. He REALLY needs to stay at OG if they don't improve. He's strong but he takes too long a strides in his kick steps which hurt his feet discipline. And gets caught with his feet jacked up. Playing T is pretty difficult. If your feet and hips are bad you can't play OT on either side. Even if you reaction time is down, you still can recover some with great feet & hip placement. I think Thomas will be our guy eventually, I've said it before and some scoffed at it but I have seen good improvement and it hadn't even been a full year.

I dropped the ball on the Coach O thing. My back gave out on me prior to the event. So I didn't get a chance to go FIRST hand. But I have heard from some that went that said it was really good & motivational. I hate I missed it.

Leroy Jenkins
04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Appears that our D looked awesome. Details?

I would hope that the D looks awesome, since they play against the same team every practice. :)

maroonmania
04-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Is Robinson really not putting in the work, or does he just not have the ability. I haven't heard anything about him being lazy or not doing what he's supposed to do. Not sure it's his fault that he's not a good SEC lineman. There's a lot more to it than just being huge.

I think he just doesn't have SEC starting ability. Not his fault it just is what it is. Apparently by the end of his senior year in HS all of the SEC schools had figured that out but us because we were his only true SEC offer when it came down to signing day. And that's probably because at that early stage of Mullen's coaching tenure we didn't have a lot of other options. He's a backup at best on an SEC team.