PDA

View Full Version : I really can't see this team hosting a regional. We were just way too over hyped

Saltydog
04-05-2014, 09:34 PM
coming into the year. Yeah, we've had some injuries that haven't helped (Young, Shelley, Cox, Brown???) but I'm not sure how much overall effect that's had. The bigger issue is the experienced guys that have either regressed or not shown any improvement whatsoever. I'm talking about guys like Detz, Rea, Holder, Robson, Hann, Britton. Vick has been a major disappointment and hasn't lived up to the hype and neither has Woodruff. Let's not even discuss our catching woes. Our much hyped frosh class hasn't produced like many thought, but it's early for them so they have plenty o' time. I did think Hudson would've been a major contributor though. I'd start playing the youngsters like Garner, Humphries and Collins. They can't be any worse and they are our future. Plus, they have a lot more pop than some of the guys getting p/t ahead of them.

Will James
04-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Henderson….Rf
Armstrong…Cf
Pirtle………..2b
Garner …….1b
Humphreys.3b
Heck…………SS
Detz………….DH
Collins………C
Brown……..Lf

This lineup could spark us. We have got to do something different. Sit down Vick, Rea, and Britton.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
We arent really over-hyped- we just dont hit all that well. We're better defensively than we were last year. BUT, we dont have that leadoff guy batting .330- and Detz is truggling this year. Rea is not a 3-hole guy. We just arent in any kind of sync offensively- but pitching and D is really very good

Saltydog
04-05-2014, 09:46 PM
to try something else cause what we're doing just isn't cutting it.

msstate7
04-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Henderson….Rf
Armstrong…Cf
Pirtle………..2b
Garner …….1b
Humphreys.3b
Heck…………SS
Detz………….DH
Collins………C
Brown……..Lf

This lineup could spark us. We have got to do something different. Sit down Vick, Rea, and Britton.

If for no other reason, maybe it'll light a fire in some upperclassmen

DCdawg
04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
We arent really over-hyped- we just dont hit all that well. We're better defensively than we were last year. BUT, we dont have that leadoff guy batting .330- and Detz is truggling this year. Rea is not a 3-hole guy. We just arent in any kind of sync offensively- but pitching and D is really very good

I know Renfroe and his power is missed, but I think we miss Frazier much more. I'm just not very confident anytime anybody besides maybe Pirtle comes to the plate.

preachermatt83
04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
so help me there are 2 players that I would sit RIGHT NOW! Rea and Vickerson..

maroonmania
04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I know Renfroe and his power is missed, but I think we miss Frazier much more. I'm just not very confident anytime anybody besides maybe Pirtle comes to the plate.

I agree with this. We miss Frazier leading off and getting things started more than any other single thing from last year's team. Vick is not getting it done at ALL. Right now I would rather move Armstrong or Henderson into the leadoff spot. It was those guys that helped get us the one run we did score tonight.

Saltydog
04-05-2014, 10:09 PM
in virtually all the others. Our pitching is statistically about the same as last year and while the defense is better they aren't enough to make up for our lack of offense. We heard all fall about how much better overall offensively we would be and that we would have more power than last year and that we could easily overcome the absence of Frazier and Renfro in the lineup and that Woody would be dominant and so would Hudson. Yeah, we were over hyped.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Reid Humphreys has to play. I realize Britton is better on defense, but Humphreys is one of the few guys on the team that can hit the ball in the gap or over the fence. At this point, it is worth giving away a little defense for a potential dynamic bat. Humphreys is has most talent on the team as a hitter.

Pollodawg
04-05-2014, 10:14 PM
so help me there are 2 players that I would sit RIGHT NOW! Rea and Vickerson..

From what I have seen, Rea especially. He has been a non factor all season. We just don't have the sticks this year.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Reid Humphreys has to play. I realize Britton is better on defense, but Humphreys is one of the few guys on the team that can hit the ball in the gap or over the fence. At this point, it is worth giving away a little defense for a potential dynamic bat. Humphreys is has most talent on the team as a hitter.

No. Just no. Our ****ing problems on offense arent because of Britton. We didnt hit well in the 8 or 9 hole last year.

You can give up on Humphreys this year. He has 2 AB's in the 3-4 weeks. He's done.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Our problems on offense lie in our 1, 2, and 3-hole hitters

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:20 PM
No. Just no. Our ****ing problems on offense arent because of Britton. We didnt hit well in the 8 or 9 hole last year.

You can give up on Humphreys this year. He has 2 AB's in the 3-4 weeks. He's done.

Then replace Rea with Humphreys. I don't really care where he plays, but he is the most talented hitter on this roster and we can't score runs. Figure it out.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Humphries ceiling as a hitter as a true Freshman is about .250 in the SEC. That is not worth benching Britton.

Our problems on offense lie with Vickerson, Detz, and Rea being 1,2, and 3. They arent getting it done. Not even close

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Your simply wrong.

based on what?

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Humphries ceiling as a hitter as a true Freshman is about .250 in the SEC. That is not worth benching Britton.

Our problems on offense lie with Vickerson, Detz, and Rea being 1,2, and 3. They arent getting it done. Not even close

Humphreys ceiling as a freshman is a good bit higher than what you have indicated.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Then replace Rea with Humphreys. I don't really care where he plays, but he is the most talented hitter on this roster and we can't score runs. Figure it out.

Where has Humphreys proven himself to be this great SEC hitter?

He is batting .261 this year which was against weak competition- not SEC pitching. He has 1 extra base hit in 26 AB's. He has struck out 7 times in 26 AB's. He has hit into 2 double plays in 26 AB's.

I've never seen so much hype with so little production

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Humphreys ceiling as a freshman is a good bit higher than what you have indicated.

We'll just disagree.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Where has Humphreys proven himself to be this great SEC hitter?

He is batting .261 this year which was against weak competition- not SEC pitching. He has 1 extra base hit in 26 AB's. He has struck out 7 times in 26 AB's. He has hit into 2 double plays in 26 AB's.

I've never seen so much hype with so little production

It's called an adjustment period, and he can't make it if he is sitting on the bench. Our team's ceiling is highest with Reid Humphreys playing, but there will be some early lumps while he goes through the adjustment period.

His TALENT level, as a hitter, is higher than anyone on this roster, and it's not really close.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:32 PM
We'll just disagree.

Sounds good.

Coach34
04-05-2014, 10:34 PM
It's called an adjustment period, and he can't make it if he is sitting on the bench. Our team's ceiling is highest with Reid Humphreys playing, but there will be some early lumps while he goes through the adjustment period.

His TALENT level, as a hitter, is higher than anyone on this roster, and it's not really close.

I think he has talent and will be a good player for us- but he is taking on Tyler Russell hype as a true Freshman. His ceiling as a true Freshman is about .250 at best hitting in the SEC. Alex Bregman showed last year what a legit Freshman does- Humphreys is nowhere near that

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2014, 10:38 PM
I think he has talent and will be a good player for us- but he is taking on Tyler Russell hype as a true Freshman. His ceiling as a true Freshman is about .250 at best hitting in the SEC. Alex Bregman showed last year what a legit Freshman does- Humphreys is nowhere near that

Humphreys won't put up the average that Bregman does because Bregman has a much shorter swing, but Humphreys has more power than Bregman. After the initial adjustment period, of say, two weeks, I think Humphreys could hit .275-.300 with 3-5 HRs from there on out.

maroonmania
04-05-2014, 10:39 PM

By that standard I guess we haven't had a legit freshman under Cohen. We really haven't recruited a player that has come in to play for us college ready. That is certainly one difference between the guys we get and at least some of the guys that LSU gets.

Five-tool Poster
04-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Alex Bregman should not be your only indication of what a legit freshman looks like. He was the best in the country. My goodness.

PassInterference
04-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Last year's College World Series finalists got red hot at just the right time. Many of you accepted that as the new norm. Its not. We are pretty good. But the CWS is not our birthright.

Todd4State
04-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I agree about Humphreys. We need a spark and Britton isn't going to give it to us unless a miracle happens soon.

Like I said this past week- we could start Humphreys and then put Britton in late if we are really concerned about his glove.

He can't reach his potential on the bench.

Todd4State
04-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Last year's College World Series finalists got red hot at just the right time. Many of you accepted that as the new norm. Its not. We are pretty good. But the CWS is not our birthright.

The SEC as a league is more difficult than the CWS field. You literally can win the CWS with two really good pitchers because of how spread out the format is. Most of the teams in the SEC are CWS caliber. Of course, not all will make it- but most have the potential and talent to do so.

MarketingBully01
04-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Henderson….Rf
Armstrong…Cf
Pirtle………..2b
Garner …….1b
Humphreys.3b
Heck…………SS
Detz………….DH
Collins………C
Brown……..Lf

Not a mere 7 days ago and two games, you were saying Vickerson was fine and not in a slump. Now you are calling to bench him? Interesting. Btw, I agree to bench him. He is absolute crap right now as our lead off guy. Glad you are seeing the light.

Bucky Dog
04-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Tell me why in a one run game in the ninth inning do you PH CT Bradford with two outs instead of Humphreys?!! Is Bradford going to hit one out of the park??? Makes zero sense to do that. You have to put someone at the plate that has a chance and the power to hit an HR and tell him to be aggressive and look for that first pitch fast ball.

RiverCityDawg
04-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Tell me why in a one run game in the ninth inning do you PH CT Bradford with two outs instead of Humphreys?!! Is Bradford going to hit one out of the park??? Makes zero sense to do that. You have to put someone at the plate that has a chance and the power to hit an HR and tell him to be aggressive and look for that first pitch fast ball.

The idea was that a lefty would have a much better chance than a righty. CT has never been clutch, so I get what you're saying, but I think Humphreys would have probably K'd there too.

C222
04-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Haha. Our fans are the best.

engie
04-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Just one of the many yearly freak out threads that will probably be bumped in June... Had no doubt there would be a couple of them...

Anyone that defines a team midseason is a dumb ass even when it works out that they are correct... Which, in the case of Cohen, has been very rare... 3 straight years of this at some point in the season only to look ridiculous when the cards are on the table -- and our fans still never learn.

maroonmania
04-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Here is one of the many yearly freak out threads that will probably be bumped in June...

Anyone that defines a team midseason is a dumb ass even when it works out that they are correct... Which, in the case of Cohen, has been very damn rare... 3 straight years of this at some point in the season only to look ridiculous when the cards are on the table -- and our fans still never learn.

If all you are judging on is MAKING the postseason and having a decent run at that time, you are correct. So far, under Cohen however, we have never competed for anything in the SEC regular season and we have hosted ONE regional. I don't think its being overdemanding of MSU fans to want to be in the thick of winning an SEC championship or wanting to host a regional (not even talking a Super here) on a regular basis. At 20-12 (6-5) we are once again in severe danger of neither competing in the SEC or hosting a regional. I really don't see this thread as "freaking out" but when we have an offense as anemic as ours there are plenty of reasons for concern.

BrunswickDawg
04-06-2014, 10:09 AM
We are 1.5 games out of first in the SEC - isn't that pretty close to being the definition "competing for SEC Championships"?

The sandy vag crowd is making following baseball on this board close to unbearable. Are there concerns? Yes - but we aren't 3-8 Mizzu and already out of it. Go back to a mantra from this fall and "let the season play out."

tcdog70
04-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Just one of the many yearly freak out threads that will probably be bumped in June... Had no doubt there would be a couple of them...

Anyone that defines a team midseason is a dumb ass even when it works out that they are correct... Which, in the case of Cohen, has been very rare... 3 straight years of this at some point in the season only to look ridiculous when the cards are on the table -- and our fans still never learn.

Exactly, JC is our Man let Him Coach. It's not like we are in the basement. Nobody in the SEC is tearing the cover off the ball. Just win today and we will be ok.

Saltydog
04-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Baton Rouge area today.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2014, 10:25 AM
To me, it's pretty simple. You play Detz at 3rd. Sit Vick and start Cody Brown. And let Humphrey's and Garner take turns at DH.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
If for no other reason, maybe it'll light a fire in some upperclassmen

Here's my lineup:

1. Armstrong, CF
2.Detz, 3B
3. Pirtle, 2B
4. Rea, 1B
5. Garner, DH
6. Henderson, RF
7. Brown, LF
8. Collins, C
9. Heck, SS

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Not a freak out, because I agree that we will get it going, like we do most every year. I was speaking to more of the general makeup and talent of the team. Whether or not this team gets hot and makes a run in the postseason, doesn't change the circumstance that we aren't maximizing our potential by playing the most talented players.

This debate is somewhat similar to Mullen playing Perkins over Robinson all last season. Yes, the team started clicking at the end of the year, it doesn't change the fact that Josh Robinson was a better running back.

BulldogBear
04-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm feeling pretty crappy after getting swept with the lemon juice poured in the paper cut coming from getting screwed in game 3 worse than Theon Greyjoy now is. But, there's still some baseball left to go. If we put it on the Beagles Tuesday night and find a way to sweep the Bears this weekend (or at least win the series) I'll feel a bit better.

slickdawg
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
If we don't finish 3-1 or 4-0 this week, our hosting chances will be near zero. I'm amazed we're even ranked with double digit losses, some to total crap teams.

Memphis is now 18-14, Holy Cross is 10-17, Arizona is 14-19

I don't know how long our "street cred" for playing in the championship series at the CWS will last. Losing Renfroe hurt, losing Frazier is killing us.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-07-2014, 01:50 PM

This

maroonmania
04-07-2014, 02:16 PM
If we don't finish 3-1 or 4-0 this week, our hosting chances will be near zero. I'm amazed we're even ranked with double digit losses, some to total crap teams.

Memphis is now 18-14, Holy Cross is 10-17, Arizona is 14-19

I don't know how long our "street cred" for playing in the championship series at the CWS will last. Losing Renfroe hurt, losing Frazier is killing us.

Going to be tough because with an offense like ours there is just NO room for error even against a crappy team. Just like Saturday it just took one misplay even with our best pitcher going to cost us the game only allowing 2 runs with LSU pitching a freshman starter. Heck, I don't even have a clue who is left to start against USM on Tuesday. My feeling is now after this past weekend we are just fighting to MAKE the postseason. I know our schedule slacks up after this weekend but the problem is we haven't show the ability to actually SWEEP teams at home and we have shown very little ability to play well on the road. Away from DNF we have one win against AZ and the DH win against GA and that is it.

RossDawg82
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
I would rather see Humphreys at least have an opportunity. Im sick of seeing Rea get up with an opportunity to get an RBI or a key hit and just watch him swing and miss on 3 straight curve balls. Move Rea to the 5 hold and put someone who puts the ball in play at the 3 spot. Shit, I love the line up having Pirtle in the 3 spot. We are missing way to many chances to put runs on the board with Rea at 3.