PDA

View Full Version : Official BBQ Thread

DawgPoundRock
04-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Hey guys, im going to be your EliteDawgs pitmaster. I will be sharing a bunch of recipes and tips on good smoking techniques. Also, ill be uploading pictures or "Que View" on various things that ill be smoking. I hope you guys will upload your pics as well and join in. I will also be adding different topics that will cover various things like grill prep to how to trim your meat properly (i know i laughed to at trim your meat properly lol). If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me, or wanna share recipes and techniques feel free to add them.

DawgPoundRock
04-04-2014, 11:26 PM
The first post i wanna write about i feel you guys will enjoy. Alot of people think to make good barbecue you have to have these expensive $5,000-$10,000 rigs. Unless your planning on smoking a whole hog, i want you guys to check out The Smokenator. The Smokenator is a contraption that will turn a $150 Weber kettle grill into a top notch smoker. You can search on google or youtube and watch them actually in use. I won my first competition this year with two of them, against people who had some pricy rigs. If your new to smoking or not looking to spend a bunch of money on a high dollar rig, then The Smokenator will be perfect for a novice or an expert.

Political Hack
04-05-2014, 06:43 AM
awesome. going to enjoy this. I helped a team with ATL BBQ festival last year and probably will again this year too. It's a ton of fun.

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Yea man they are loads of fun. Its one of those contest where you can lose and still have a great time.

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 07:56 AM
EliteDawgs Classic Rib Rub

1/2 cup dried brown sugar*

1/4 cup paprika

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne

*Note to dry brown sugar, heat oven to 150 and cook for 10 minutes. Do not over cook, it will burn and eventually melt

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 08:28 AM
EliteDawg Brisket and Butt Rub (also ribs but name wouldnt have been as cool lol)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup turbinado sugar

1/2 paprika

2 tsp onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp dry mustard

2 Tbsp chili powder

2 Tbsp ground black pepper

1/2 cup kosher salt

BeastMan
04-05-2014, 09:01 AM
I'm liking the rub recipes. I'm big on not overdoing it. I laugh at the recipes where folks tout 20 ingredients when in actuality its teaspoons of a bunch of various nonsense. Your rib rub is very similar to mine except for chilli, cayenne, and onion. Did I mention I go simple lol? I'll try yours out soon.

Barking 13
04-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks DPR for your service... I don't know if you read previously about my gas grill setup, but it works pretty good. Mine has 4 cast iron burners. On most things I cut the middle two off after burnoff and have wood chunks on the outside working / burning with the outside burners. Cook indirectly in the middle.
Steaks are a different story.. wood everywhere and all burners wide open,, looks like a forest fire..lol

(quick tip: cover your grates with a piece of heavy aluminum foil, let burn off, then "ball" up the foil and use the foil to wipe down the grates.. use gloves.. the foil keeps the heat down between the grates and coals, burners, etc. for a more efficient burnoff)

as far as rubs go, there is a commercial rub I like pretty good as a base and I add a few sprinkles of this and that to it... Jim and Nick's pork rub..

Coach34
04-05-2014, 01:42 PM
EliteDawgs Classic Rib Rub

1/2 cup dried brown sugar*

1/4 cup paprika

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne

*Note to dry brown sugar, heat oven to 150 and cook for 10 minutes. Do not over cook, it will burn and eventually melt

Thanks for the drying the brown sugar tip

I have been using a cinnamon chipolte rub I got from Hatfield on SPS on my ribs- along with paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, and worchestershire

CadaverDawg
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
This thread is beautimous. Thanks, DPR.

http://replygif.net/i/1082.gif

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the drying the brown sugar tip

I have been using a cinnamon chipolte rub I got from Hatfield on SPS on my ribs- along with paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, and worchestershire

no problem man, if your really into sweet you can also use hungarian sweet paprika, also like 1/8 to a 1/4 tsp of cocca powder

MS_half-step
04-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Like the looks of that smokenator, been looking for something like that

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Like the looks of that smokenator, been looking for something like that

Oh yea man its great, its a great for people new to smoking and also very very affordable

bgdog
04-05-2014, 04:15 PM
This is cool, thanks for doing this.

DawgPoundRock
04-05-2014, 05:26 PM
SMOKING 101:

Here im going to cover some of the basics of smoking, ie chips vs chunks and lump charcoal vs briquettes.

The first thing im going to cover is Chips vs Chunks. Chips are about the size of coins, chips are also common and easy to find. They burn quickly and you may find that you need to add them more than once during the cooking cycle. Chips are fine for short cooks, but for long cooks, chunks are better. Wood chunks vary in size from golf ball to fist size are fairly easy to find in hardware stores. Chunks burn slowly, and often a chunk or two about the size of an egg weighing 2 to 4 ounces is all that is necessary for a load of food. Because they are slow, steady sources of smoke, they are in many ways, the most desirable. When you use chunks, you can add one or two at the start of the cooking cycle and you don't need to keep opening the unit and mess with the equilibrium in the cooking chamber's atmosphere. Soaking your wood also is a myth. Some people like to soak there wood thinking that it makes a difference, i could go on and on about it; but to make it short the water really doesnt penetrate the wood and the wouldnt make boats out of wood if they did lol. So long story short, dont soak your wood ( thats what she said).

The next section will compare lump charcoal to briquettes. Hardwood lump charcoal is made from hardwood scrap from saw mills and from flooring, furniture, and building materials manufacturers. Branches, twigs, blocks, trim, and other scraps are carbonized. The result is lumps that are irregular in size, often looking like limbs and lumber. Often they are carbonized to different degrees because there are so many different size lumps. Lump leaves little ash since there are no binders as in briquets. The big disadvantage is that lump is harder to find, more expensive than briquets, burns out more quickly, varies in BTUs (heat output) per pound (and thus, per cook), varies in wood type from bag to bag, varies in flavor from bag to bag, and often bags of lump contain a lot of useless carbon dust from improper filtering in the factory and rough handling in the stores. On the other hand, the bags are lighter and easier to handle because the lumps are irregular shaped, so there is more air in the bag. Charcoal briquets begin as sawdust and chips from mixed woods from timber mills. Briquets typically produce more ash than hardwood lump since they contain more non-combustible materials. Some cooks complain about these additives, but there's a lot to be said for a fuel source that is rock solid consistent from bag to bag. Heres a good rule of thumb that i came up with: There are about 16 Kingsford briquets in a quart, and 64 in a gallon. A Weber chimney holds about 5 quarts, or about 80 briquets.

My best advice? Briqs give me consistency as well as better temp and flavor control and I'm all about control when I cook. Eliminate this variable. Pick one consistent brand of briquet, learn it, and stick with it for a year until you have all the other variables under control. The quality of the raw food, seasoning, sauce, cooking temp, and serving temp far outweigh the impact of charcoal on outcome.

DawgPoundRock
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Bulldawg Weekend Low and Slow Pulled Pork

Ingredients

One 7-8-pound pork butt
1/2 cup apple juice
Barbecue sauce

RUB

1/2cup sugar in the raw
1/2cup kosher salt
3 TBS chili powder
3 TBS paprika
1 TSP garlic powder
1 TSP onion powder
1/2 TSP Black Pepper
1/2 TSP lemon pepper
1/2 TSP Ground Coffee
1/4 TSP Cayenne Pepper

Do not trim the fat cap off of the pork butt! You may trim any extra pieces that are hanging loose, but most of the trimming will be done after the cooking. Season the meat liberally with the rub. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.

Prepare your cooker to cook indirectly at 235 degrees using a combination of two-thirds cherry and one-third hickory wood for smoke flavor. Put the butt in the cooker, fat-side down, and cook until the internal temperature is 180 degrees. This should take 8-10 hours, depending on your cooker.

Lay out a big double-thick sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and put the pork butt in the middle. As you begin to close up the package, pour the apple juice over the top of the butt and then seal the package, taking care not to puncture it. Put the package back in the cooker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees. This should take about another 2 hours.

Transfer the package from the cooker to a sheet pan. Open the top of the foil to let the steam out and let it rest for 30 minutes. Using heavy insulated gloves or a pair of tongs and a fork, transfer the meat to a big pan. It will be very tender and hard to handle. Discard the juices as they will be quite fatty. Pull the meat apart with your hands, discarding the fat and bones. Keep in big chunks or continue pulling into shreds if you prefer. Serve immediately with barbecue sauce on the side

DawgPoundRock
04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Homemade Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

1 Quart of Dr. Pepper

1 Cup Ketchup

2 TBS Cider Vinegar

2 TBS Soy Sauce

1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

1 TSP Onion Powder

1 TSP Garlic Powder

1 TSP Black Pepper

1/4 TSP dried grate orange peel *

*Note: Take the peel of and orange and grate it with a cheese grater and let sit 2 to 3 hours before cooking

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the Dr. Pepper to a fast simmer. Cook until the Dr. Pepper is reduced to 1 cup, about 25 minutes. Add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire, onion powder garlic powder, pepper, and orange peel. Mix well and return to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook at a low simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often, until well blended and thickened. Remove from the heat and serve, or cool and store the sauces in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week

Political Hack
04-06-2014, 10:49 AM
DPR, did you enter the BBQ festival down at Harbo View yesterday? Looked small but I'm sure it's a good contest.

BeastMan
04-06-2014, 11:01 AM
This is cool, thanks for doing this.

X2

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Lamb burgers with bacon and feta cheese on cibatta is what I go going on now

DawgPoundRock
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
DPR, did you enter the BBQ festival down at Harbo View yesterday? Looked small but I'm sure it's a good contest.

No I didnt I was working in madison. My parents called me and told me they ate down there and said there was a pretty big turn out. I hate I missed it. I think the next one imma do is the one at the coast coliseum

Barking 13
04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
As far as woods go, I use cherry, peach, apple, and believe it or not, crabapple has a great flavor.

DPR, I like to put Dr. Pepper in with my ribs when I wrap them...

DawgPoundRock
04-06-2014, 05:50 PM
As far as woods go, I use cherry, peach, apple, and believe it or not, crabapple has a great flavor.

DPR, I like to put Dr. Pepper in with my ribs when I wrap them...

Yes, Dr. Pepper has a good flavor, and it will give a good tenderness when you wrap them. As for wood, i usually just use a combo of apple/hickory for chicken, and hickory/cherry for ribs, pork, and brisket

DawgPoundRock
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
SMOKE

Blue smoke is the holy grail of low and slow pitmasters. They say that the color depends on the particle size and how it scatters and reflects light to our eyes. Pale blue smoke particles are the smallest, under a micron in size, about the size of the wavelength of light. Pure white smoke consists of larger particles, a few microns in size, and they scatter all wavelengths in all directions. Gray and black smoke contains particles large enough to actually absorb some of the light and colors.

Black and gray smoke happen when the fire is starving for oxygen, and they can make bitter, sooty food tasting like an ash tray. Billowing white smoke is common when you just start the fire, and when the fuel needs lots of oxygen. If it doesn't get enough and if the fuel is not emitting gases for secondary combustion, the fuel smolders and produces white smoke. If you are cooking hot and fast, white smoke is a great way to get some smoke flavor on the food in a hurry. But white smoke usually has a lot of contaminants from an incomplete secondary combustion and prolonged exposure to white smoke can still make good food, but not as good a blue smoke.

DawgPoundRock
04-07-2014, 08:39 AM
South Carolina Mustard Sauce

Ingredients
2 cups prepared yellow mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce or you favorite hot sauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube
2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1) Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.

2) If you are using a bouillon cube, crush it with a spoon in a bowl or mortar & pestle and add it to the bowl. Crush the rosemary leaves and celery seed in a mortar & pestle or in a blender or coffee grinder and add it to the bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Let it sit for a an hour in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld. No cooking necessary. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a month or more.

DawgPoundRock
04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Weekend Hangover? need to do something with those ribs? Here Ya Go

Homemade McRib Sandwiches

Ingredients
1 slab leftover cooked baby back ribs or St. Louis Style Ribs
1 large onion, sliced or chopped*
6 sandwich pickle slices
3 quality buns

Note: Caramelize your onions 20 minutes before everything else

Take Chunks of your ribs and throw them in a skillet. Cover with your favorite BBQ sauce (commercial or homemade) and slowly cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Lightly toast buns, prepare sandwich and enjoy

DawgPoundRock
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Elitedawgs KC Classic BBQ Sauce

2 tablespoons American chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if that's all you have)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes

trob115
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks DPR. I'm looking forward to trying some of this.

DawgPoundRock
04-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks DPR. I'm looking forward to trying some of this.

Your welcome man, i hope you enjoy it. Imma be adding more stuff soon

fishwater99
04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Rebel Butcher Supply in Pearl has a really solid BBQ rub, it's where Country Pleasin get's their rubs from.

DawgPoundRock
04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Rebel Butcher Supply in Pearl has a really solid BBQ rub, it's where Country Pleasin get's their rubs from.

Oh really? Imma have to check it out then, im a huge fan of rubs, i absolutely love creating and experimenting with them

Barking 13
04-09-2014, 12:56 AM
my version of homemade "McRibs"... On-Cor rib patties, pickles, onion, and a bun

DawgPoundRock
04-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Got the smoker cleaned and ready for tomorrow. Im going to be doing two whole chickens, i will be adding pics of it. What are you doing smoking/grilling tomorrow?

DawgPoundRock
04-12-2014, 09:27 PM
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y345/Grant_Roland/chicken_zpscaffddd5.jpg (http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/Grant_Roland/media/chicken_zpscaffddd5.jpg.html)

"Q" View, Two Smoked Chickens i did today

Coach34
04-12-2014, 09:58 PM
dayum...that looks good

DawgPoundRock
04-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks man,it was amazing. You can never go wrong cooking with water and apple juice

DawgPoundRock
04-13-2014, 01:07 PM
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s609/groland4/Mobile%20Uploads/20140413_124924_zpstsk4dzhb.jpg

Spareribs cut St. Louis Style. Before Pic

DancingRabbit
04-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I've made some similar, but not sure where my handwritten recipe got off to.

Enjoying the thread. Carry on!

Elitedawgs KC Classic BBQ Sauce

2 tablespoons American chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if that's all you have)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes

DawgPoundRock
04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I've made some similar, but not sure where my handwritten recipe got off to.

Enjoying the thread. Carry on!

Thanks man, and your welcome im glad you like it

DawgPoundRock
04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s609/groland4/20140413_184511_zpszmg7ta9m.jpg

Sorry its a couple days later..but here was the finished dry ribs

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
SMOKING 101:

Here im going to cover some of the basics of smoking, ie chips vs chunks and lump charcoal vs briquettes.

The first thing im going to cover is Chips vs Chunks. Chips are about the size of coins, chips are also common and easy to find. They burn quickly and you may find that you need to add them more than once during the cooking cycle. Chips are fine for short cooks, but for long cooks, chunks are better. Wood chunks vary in size from golf ball to fist size are fairly easy to find in hardware stores. Chunks burn slowly, and often a chunk or two about the size of an egg weighing 2 to 4 ounces is all that is necessary for a load of food. Because they are slow, steady sources of smoke, they are in many ways, the most desirable. When you use chunks, you can add one or two at the start of the cooking cycle and you don't need to keep opening the unit and mess with the equilibrium in the cooking chamber's atmosphere. Soaking your wood also is a myth. Some people like to soak there wood thinking that it makes a difference, i could go on and on about it; but to make it short the water really doesnt penetrate the wood and the wouldnt make boats out of wood if they did lol. So long story short, dont soak your wood ( thats what she said).

The next section will compare lump charcoal to briquettes. Hardwood lump charcoal is made from hardwood scrap from saw mills and from flooring, furniture, and building materials manufacturers. Branches, twigs, blocks, trim, and other scraps are carbonized. The result is lumps that are irregular in size, often looking like limbs and lumber. Often they are carbonized to different degrees because there are so many different size lumps. Lump leaves little ash since there are no binders as in briquets. The big disadvantage is that lump is harder to find, more expensive than briquets, burns out more quickly, varies in BTUs (heat output) per pound (and thus, per cook), varies in wood type from bag to bag, varies in flavor from bag to bag, and often bags of lump contain a lot of useless carbon dust from improper filtering in the factory and rough handling in the stores. On the other hand, the bags are lighter and easier to handle because the lumps are irregular shaped, so there is more air in the bag. Charcoal briquets begin as sawdust and chips from mixed woods from timber mills. Briquets typically produce more ash than hardwood lump since they contain more non-combustible materials. Some cooks complain about these additives, but there's a lot to be said for a fuel source that is rock solid consistent from bag to bag. Heres a good rule of thumb that i came up with: There are about 16 Kingsford briquets in a quart, and 64 in a gallon. A Weber chimney holds about 5 quarts, or about 80 briquets.

My best advice? Briqs give me consistency as well as better temp and flavor control and I'm all about control when I cook. Eliminate this variable. Pick one consistent brand of briquet, learn it, and stick with it for a year until you have all the other variables under control. The quality of the raw food, seasoning, sauce, cooking temp, and serving temp far outweigh the impact of charcoal on outcome.
Excellent write-up DPR, very informative. I've always soaked my chips/chunks in water, but I'll give it a try without. Do you ever smoke any fish?

DawgPoundRock
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Excellent write-up DPR, very informative. I've always soaked my chips/chunks in water, but I'll give it a try without. Do you ever smoke any fish?

Thank you very much. Why yes I do, not as much other meats but I did salmon the other day and it was delicious

DawgPoundRock
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Its gameday weekend, what are you guys grilling/smoking this weekend?

DawgPoundRock
04-28-2014, 05:56 PM
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s609/groland4/20140428_172707_zpshs0vffev.jpg

Its been awhile since i posted last, ive been super busy but here are some beef short ribs i did today

Political Hack
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
those look tasty. nice char and you can see the meat pulling back on the bone too. I've been contemplating a new grill. Need something I can slow cook on.

State82
04-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Somehow I missed this thread a few weeks back. Man, this thread is smokin'!!! I know, I know, had to do it. However, great job DPR. Gonna have to try out the recipes. They all look great.

DawgPoundRock
04-29-2014, 07:47 PM
those look tasty. nice char and you can see the meat pulling back on the bone too. I've been contemplating a new grill. Need something I can slow cook on.

Thanks man. Well it all depends on your budget really, you cant go wrong with a weber kettle and a smokenator. You really can make competition type food on them.

DawgPoundRock
04-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Somehow I missed this thread a few weeks back. Man, this thread is smokin'!!! I know, I know, had to do it. However, great job DPR. Gonna have to try out the recipes. They all look great.

Haha, thanks man. Im glad you like it man, imma be posting more recipes soon.

DawgPoundRock
05-01-2014, 11:11 PM
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s609/groland4/20140430_204215_zpsdtxaxce6.jpg

My Competition Ribs