PDA

View Full Version : We are not little ole MSU anymore....

gtowndawg
04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I walked into Perkins in Collierville (Memphis burb') for a breakfast meeting this morning. I had a State pullover on when I walked in.

As I'm walking to my table a gentleman yells out from across the restaurant "Hail State!" I yell it back.

I sit down, the lady at the table next to me says "I love that jacket! My niece and nephew are both there and about to graduate. They love it there."

(edited to add: The lady was African-American. Extremely proud her family attended State. Something Ole Miss wouldn't understand.)

I leave and there is a truck parked next to me with a State sticker on it (of course next to my car with a State sticker).

But we are lead to believe Memphis is an Ole Miss town, nobody likes little ole Mississippi State. They can't compete, etc. It's BS. All of it.

It all comes down to perception and while we have come a LONG way over the past 20 years, I still don't think we flex our muscles (especially thru the media) they way we can or should.

//off my soapbox.

smootness
04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm in metro-Atlanta, and I can tell you that Mississippi State is far more recognizable around here now than it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot of HS kids from this area now going to State, and when I was growing up that was unheard of.

MStateME13
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm in metro-Atlanta, and I can tell you that Mississippi State is far more recognizable around here now than it was 10-15 years ago. There are a lot of HS kids from this area now going to State, and when I was growing up that was unheard of.

This is definitely true. The amount of people going to State from metro Atlanta is growing rapidly. The combination of relatively short distance, low cost, and great education makes it a great option for Atlanta area kids.

The awesome experiences at State are starting to spread by word of mouth from recent grads (such as myself) and their families. The Atlanta pipeline will only keep getting bigger.

TXDawg
04-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I can attest that our popularity is also growing in Houston. 5 years ago, I hardly ever saw State stickers or decals on cars here. Now it's rare that I go more than a couple of days without seeing one.

Coach34
04-04-2014, 01:18 PM
I see more Ol Misses stickers around Shreve than State. My GTHOM sticker on my vehicle has gotten a few inquiries and laughs though

Drugdog
04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Where can I get a Gthom sticker?

Lloyd Christmas
04-04-2014, 01:36 PM
I have lived in Atlanta for the past 3 years since I graduated from State in 11' and I am always amazed when I go home to visit the parents in Mermphis how much State stuff there is EVERYWHERE.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Definately more OM in Nville than MSU. I guess that is to be expected in a medical town.

My street has 2 vandys, 2 ole miss, one ohio state, one kentucky and me. That said, my house is the biggest.
#flagship

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I see more Ol Misses stickers around Shreve than State. My GTHOM sticker on my vehicle has gotten a few inquiries and laughs though

I hang out with a lot of ole miss guys. A lot. Probably more than state friends. Coach34 comes up regularly. They hate you. It is hilarious as I just laugh and say, "yeah, Ive heard of the guy".

You should hear some of the stories....

Coach34
04-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Where can I get a Gthom sticker?

PM Mic or click on the GTHOM link up top

jalakin
04-04-2014, 01:44 PM
I know from talking to people at Collierville high school that State is usually the number to SEC school for kids behind TN. The schools colors are maroon and white and where taken directly from MSU.

Pollodawg
04-04-2014, 01:51 PM
the wife and I are in an out of B'Ham a lot. I never fail too see MSU bumper stickers, hoodies, and t shirts.

gtowndawg
04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
sent something like 48 kids to State last year. It's a big school of course.

But I've heard that same story at multiple schools all over Memphis, both private and public. Behind Memphis and Tennessee, most go to State and have been for several years now.

DawgHouseUnited
04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Worn my maroon at the Opry mall in Nashville a while back and got several Hail State's, and I was shopping in Pigeon Forge (TN) a couple years ago in a State shirt, and one of the employees struck up a conversation about MSU. Said it was good to see some maroon, being that close to Knoxville.

DawgInMemphis
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
I live in a cul de sac with maybe 20 houses in a Memphis suburb. There are 5 or 6 houses that have some sort of collegiate paraphernalia on their property, and each one reps MSU.

Bothrops
04-04-2014, 03:09 PM
I've recall seeing MS State bumper stickers in Los Angeles, and Raleigh NC when I lived there.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2014, 03:21 PM
When I was on my honeymoon in Ireland I walked into a store in Dublin and saw a guy with a MSU jacket on. We are international.

Todd4State
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I was in Jersusalem in Israel wearing a MSU baseball t-shirt. One of the street vendors starts yelling at me "Mississippi State! Hey! Mississippi State!" And while he was yelling at me, he was pointing to a Mississippi State sign that was on the front on his store.

This is our Palestinean State.

Barking 13
04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Just about every paper mill I go into has at least one engineer dawg in it...:D

rcsteph1
04-04-2014, 05:00 PM
the wife and I are in an out of B'Ham a lot. I never fail too see MSU bumper stickers, hoodies, and t shirts.

I currently live in Bham. There are a ton of State and Ole Miss Alum here. Starting to see a lot more State.

BrunswickDawg
04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Slay and Fitz have done wonders for our profile in coastal GA. Our local ESPN show even mentions State now

AFDawg
04-04-2014, 05:39 PM
When I was on my honeymoon in Ireland I walked into a store in Dublin and saw a guy with a MSU jacket on. We are international.

When were you there? That very well could have been me. I know of at least one other State grad who loves there for a while as well.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2014, 06:28 PM
When were you there? That very well could have been me. I know of at least one other State grad who loves there for a while as well.

I was there back in June of 2005.

JDog13
04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Anyone know where to find the picture of the Middle Eastern protestor wearing a Mississippi State shirt? I remember one of the major news outlets showing it.