PDA

View Full Version : Bama now says 35 million needed for stadium

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
No way we can do it for 30, 40 is closer as some people had said and that might be pushing it now.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140403/news/140409866

messageboardsuperhero
04-03-2014, 06:20 PM
For us to do what needs to be done, it will take at least $40 million- probably more like $45 million.

Hell, even a renovation to get us on par with Bama, UM, A&M, etc. would take $30-35, and we'd still be a good bit behind LSU, USCe, and Arkansas. If we're talking about spending that much regardless, we might as well pony up the extra $10 million and have the best stadium in the country.

State82
04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
For us to do what needs to be done, it will take at least $40 million- probably more like $45 million.

Hell, even a renovation to get us on par with Bama, UM, A&M, etc. would take $30-35, and we'd still be a good bit behind LSU, USCe, and Arkansas. If we're talking about spending that much regardless, we might as well pony up the extra $10 million and have the best stadium in the country.

I would gather that the $45 million figure is pretty close. That should just about cover everything, including the outfield.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 06:50 PM
pony up the extra $10 million.

Not worth listening to people bitch about farm bureau signs, TTF, and mandatory BC donations. Cause 10 mil doesn't just pony up by itself.

But when mommy and daddy are still paying the bills that doesn't make sense.

MzTerry
04-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Not worth listening to people bitch about farm bureau signs, TTF, and mandatory BC donations. Cause 10 mil doesn't just pony up by itself.

oh, so you're paying MSU's bills? if people will donate it why not, you would rather not have to listen to people bitch and have a shitty stadium? i say let em bitch all they want as long as we get the stadium. i will certainly do my part.

messageboardsuperhero
04-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Mommy and daddy don't pay my bills. I'm in the bulldog club. Thanks for asking though.

engie
04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
No doubt about it. Gonna cost $40 to do it right.

And this is my shocked face that Dogfather said something ridiculous simply for the purpose of trolling a thread**

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Mommy and daddy don't pay my bills. I'm in the bulldog club. Thanks for asking though.

Your welcome. You, obviously then, are not included in the "people" of my post.

Unless, of course, you are part of the misguided bunch that complain about advertising as if the admin just does it for fun.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
oh, so you're paying MSU's bills?.

Yes. Doing my part.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2014, 08:43 PM

Unless, of course, you are part of the misguided bunch that complain about advertising as if the admin just does it for fun.

I wonder how much they did make on the jumbotron ads. I'd need to know that to know whether I was wrong to bitch. I doubt it has been that impressive an amount. Maybe somebody can correct me.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
I wonder how much they did make on the jumbotron ads. I'd need to know that to know whether I was wrong to bitch. I doubt it has been that impressive an amount. Maybe somebody can correct me.

Just curious, but what is it that you know that would make you doubt it. Something you have surmised, or do you just question the admin's competence?

Just so that you don't think I am setting you up, I do personally know the person responsible for negotiating the advertising agreements, and he is not incompetent.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Just curious, but what is it that you know that would make you doubt it. Something you have surmised, or do you just question the admin's competence?

Just so that you don't think I am setting you up, I do personally know the person responsible for negotiating the advertising agreements, and he is not incompetent.

Not saying that I know or suspect anything except that the inconvenience to fans caused by the jumbotron ads was not worth the payoff. I don't know that, which is why I said I would have to know what we made on to to know whether it was worth it. I'm certain that your friend and most other AD people are competent. But they're not perfect, as everybody knows and accepts.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Not saying that I know or suspect anything except that the inconvenience to fans caused by the jumbotron ads was not worth the payoff. I don't know that, which is why I said I would have to know what we made on to to know whether it was worth it. I'm certain that your friend and most other AD people are competent. But they're not perfect, as everybody knows and accepts.

Agreed. Not perfect, and just like most professionals, they understand that there is room for improvement.

That being said, they are also not bumbling idiots as they have been portrayed on this board.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 09:08 PM
No doubt about it. Gonna cost $40 to do it right.

And this is my shocked face that Dogfather said something ridiculous simply for the purpose of trolling a thread**

Ironically, you've discounted the entire thread to troll my posts so that you can take some kind of shot at me. Hope you have fun while the adults discuss economics.

Wait. I forgot the **

Homedawg
04-03-2014, 09:32 PM

The ad money goes to learfield. And that farm bureau sign behind the plate is 35k. Which is dirt cheap if u ask me for the exposure they get for it.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2014, 09:41 PM
The ad money goes to learfield. And that farm bureau sign behind the plate is 35k. Which is dirt cheap if u ask me for the exposure they get for it.

Refresh my memory: What did we get for giving this Jumbogift to Learfield not-usually-on-the-air-in-my-town Sports?

engie
04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Refresh my memory: What did we get for giving this Jumbogift to Learfield not-usually-on-the-air-in-my-town Sports?

Overall, Learfield pays us between $2-3mil/yr currently I believe. But I think that will change somewhat with the SECNetwork forthcoming...

Homedawg
04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
That's was a Byrne deal. I don't remember the specifics.

messageboardsuperhero
04-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Nope, not in that group either. I actually understand the ads for the most part (obviously the jumbotron at football games has gotten out of control).

I just think that we're in the process of transforming from a "have not" to a fairly wealthy athletic department compared to most of the rest of the country, and we need to start acting like it- especially in a sport where we have always put up with nothing but the best from a facility standpoint. I just want MSU sports (particularly the baseball program) to be the best that they can be. I know we can do better than "just on par with UM and Bama, but below the other big baseball schools." History and anticipated future revenue growth tells me we can do better than that.

And the way our fans have showed up in force this season tells me that we deserve better than mediocre- which is what we will always be stuck with until the current grandstand comes down.

TheDogFather
04-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Nope, not in that group either. I actually understand the ads for the most part (obviously the jumbotron at football games has gotten out of control).

I just think that we're in the process of transforming from a "have not" to a fairly wealthy athletic department compared to most of the rest of the country, and we need to start acting like it- especially in a sport where we have always put up with nothing but the best from a facility standpoint. I just want MSU sports (particularly the baseball program) to be the best that they can be. I know we can do better than "just on par with UM and Bama, but below the other big baseball schools." History and anticipated future revenue growth tells me we can do better than that.

And the way our fans have showed up in force this season tells me that we deserve better than mediocre- which is what we will always be stuck with until the current grandstand comes down.

Elegant appeal.

Unfortunately, no matter how much we want and no matter how much we think we deserve, MSU is not on the same playing field economically with the schools of whose facilities we are being compared. That is not a dig or a concession. Just fact.

What intrigues me the most are the statements like we should do whatever it takes to keep an assistant while "whatever it takes" is farm bureau signs, Mercedes Benz commercials, and throwing balls into the windows of trucks on the playing surface. And inevitably the bitching begins.

Homedawg
04-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Too add to that I find it amazing the people who want coaches fired at a drop of a hat, don't give a penny and I mean a penny and never come to any games.

messageboardsuperhero
04-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Elegant appeal.

Unfortunately, no matter how much we want and no matter how much we think we deserve, MSU is not on the same playing field economically with the schools of whose facilities we are being compared. That is not a dig or a concession. Just fact.

What intrigues me the most are the statements like we should do whatever it takes to keep an assistant while "whatever it takes" is farm bureau signs, Mercedes Benz commercials, and throwing balls into the windows of trucks on the playing surface. And inevitably the bitching begins.

Again, outside of several poorly timed commercials on the jumbotron, I'm not one of those who complains incessantly about the ads at MSU sporting events. For the most part, I understand their purpose.

When South Carolina broke ground on Carolina Stadium (2007 or 2008, I can't remember), their athletic revenue was $66.5 million. Adjusted for inflation, it would be the equivalent of about $72 million.
In 2013, MSU's athletic revenue was almost $70 million ($69.8 million), and that is expected to grow exponentially in the next couple of years.

The fact is, yes we don't have as much money as LSU or South Carolina, but we aren't as far behind (at least as far behind USCe) as many people think. I wish some of our fans would give us a little more credit- we're not the same school/athletic department we were 5-10 years ago. And baseball is the one sport where we do have the resources and fan support to spend with the big boys.

defiantdog
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
We've advanced tremendously since 2005 to say the least. I remember going to games and watching the crowds empty before halftime after every game. Now, the school is making strides to expand / build their stadiums and make the athletics noticeable nationwide. Be proud to be a Bulldog guys because the athletics could have easily fallen the other direction. And we're not going to get the renovations and expansions every year like Alabama.... because State doesn't have money to throw around.

We have to be patient, as fans, until State can realistically budget these renovations and expansions we all hope for.... until then, quit bitchin about how we can't keep up with big boys who have boosters pumpin millions into their respective school every year. And enjoy the ads because they help pay the bills.

messageboardsuperhero
04-04-2014, 12:28 AM
We've advanced tremendously since 2005 to say the least. I remember going to games and watching the crowds empty before halftime after every game. Now, the school is making strides to expand / build their stadiums and make the athletics noticeable nationwide. Be proud to be a Bulldog guys because the athletics could have easily fallen the other direction. And we're not going to get the renovations and expansions every year like Alabama.... because State doesn't have money to throw around.

We have to be patient, as fans, until State can realistically budget these renovations and expansions we all hope for.... until then, quit bitchin about how we can't keep up with big boys who have boosters pumpin millions into their respective school every year. And enjoy the ads because they help pay the bills.

And I (along with many others) have said several times that waiting a year or two until after football is settled and we can start raising the funds is fine be me. I just want us to do what's best for the long term future of the baseball program- even if it would take a year or two extra on the front end.

Patience is not an issue, so long as we do this right.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Overall, Learfield pays us between $2-3mil/yr currently I believe. But I think that will change somewhat with the SECNetwork forthcoming...

It is more than that.